Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

dambarude wrote: »
    He's a psychoanalyst. Apparently he has a busy practice. It seems a bit odd to be combining that with newsreading if you ask me.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

Any source for that Bobba?

My ears! :P No Kia sponsorship sting at the start of the show, no Kia sponsorship sting in or out of the commercial breaks and no Kia sponsorship sting at the end of the show.

Listen in tomorrow and see if they're back but I'd put money on it that Kia have bailed out. I don't blame them either!

Thanks for that...will listen out .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Why?

I don't know... it just seems like an odd combination to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I caught the repeat of yesterdays piece on the overnight. Asidee from the banality of the piece in general, you could almost sense JM biting his tongue from a few schoolboy bum chum type comments as Murphy and his partner were talking about their upcoming civil partnership ceremony. In some ways, it was even more painful to listen to than his normal arf arf type jokes.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that...will listen .

Listened and indeed not a whiff of a Kia ad anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

Yeah I'm nearly positive it's been pulled now. Nothing this morning either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Jaysus, this mornings intro was dire.

Someone needs to tell this guy he is not funny. At all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Slidey wrote: »
    Jaysus, this mornings intro was dire.

Someone needs to tell this guy he is not funny. At all.
    Came in to post exactly the same thing.

How is this show still on the radio?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Came in to post exactly the same thing.

How is this show still on the radio?

Only got the first 20 or so seconds,before the off button got a dig.

Cringeworthy stuff.

Pull it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Only got the first 20 or so seconds,before the off button got a dig.Cringeworthy stuff.

Slagging Mickey Harte and playing "Pretty Little Girl From Omagh" (supposedly as a joke) to a man that lost his daughter less than six months ago :eek:.. He's not funny and has no cop on.. I didnt think he could do a worse intro than his intro where he read out a letter supposedly from the queen to David Cameron, but he's managed it.. It's time for RTE to bin their two 9am fiascos..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Slagging Mickey Harte and playing "Pretty Little Girl From Omagh" (supposedly as a joke) to a man that lost his daughter less than six months ago :eek:.. He's not funny and has no cop on.. I didnt think he could do a worse intro than his intro where he read out a letter supposedly from the queen to David Cameron, but he's managed it.. It's time for RTE to bin their two 9am fiascos..

Agreed there, it was not at all nice; all the worse was how it is meant to be somehow humourous.

One other thing about today's show; one of his "random" vox pop comments was from this man.

www.tinyjames.com

I presume his professional just happened, by sheer chance and co-incidence, to be wandering around at the time they were recording :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Flutt will be putting the broad thumb on the off button as soon a JMs Doob accent contaminates the 'hairwaves.
    No way bro.
    Don't say I didn't tell you, :Gave it a bit of a go for the first week,and couldn't take any more of Dubbelin John shouting down the mike.
    NT between 09 and 10 for me
    Anyone still listening to RTE1 between 09 and 10?
    Total rubbish in my opinion.
    In the interview with the young wan, he floundered for about 20 minutes.
    He had an interview with a mother and a daughter who had a baby recently.
    young Shannon.
    Murray floundered like a beached walrus throughout the interview
    Nope, soon as I hear that dreadful Doob accent, I switch her off till 1000.
    Nope, hit the off button as soon as the news finished.
    Terrible stuff....and getting worse.

Listened and indeed not a whiff of a Kia ad anywhere.
    Only got the first 20 or so seconds,before the off button got a dig.
    Cringeworthy stuff.
    Pull it.
    For a man who says he hits the off button as soon as Murray comes on, you can't seem to tune out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

God, I couldn't believe it when he mentioned Mickey Harte's name. Not cool, John...

Aidric wrote: »
    For a man who says he hits the off button as soon as Murray comes on, you can't seem to tune out.

Only reason is I forgot to turn the radio off.

Sometimes I have to keep listening to see if it is really as bad as I thought.

It is. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Just read a snippet in todays Irish Independant regarding his "comedy" vignette at the start of yesterdays show. Apparently his used some of the answers Mickey Harte gave in his drivetime interview and inserted his own "humerous" questions for no other reason only to make Mickey look stupid.
    Looks like the ajectives petty and sneering can be added to his discription.

This is the offending "comedy" intro.. It really is awful.. soundbites, bad jokes... It's like something from college radio..

This is the offending "comedy" intro.. It really is awful.. soundbites, bad jokes... It's like something from college radio..

Words fail me.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Words fail me.

They don't fail me.

Stupid, amateur, cringeworthy, in fact the greatest load of crap broadcasting(almost) I have ever heard.

I turned it off(the live show) at the first mention of Mickey Harte.

How does the producer and presenter stand over this rubbish.

How does the producer and presenter stand over this rubbish.

Well I guess it's the whole back slapping nature of things in RTE.. But I cant believe that somebody would have picked up on the fact that it may have been in bad taste to play "Pretty Little Girl From Omagh", given that his own little girl died five months ago..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It was a cheap shot and one that RTÉ should be ashamed of.

The extracts in the 'humorous item' were taken from an interview Harte gave to Mary Wilson on Drivetime the previous day. It centered around the decision by a group of GAA managers not to speak to RTÉ, due to what they believe to be an unfair demotion of GAA commentator Brian Carthy

Following the interview Wilson said a spokesperson from RTÉ was also asked appear on the programme, but they declined.
    (This was the first time I ever heard of anyone in Montrose refusing an interview on one of their own programmes.)

I wouldn't blame Micky Harte if he never spoke to them again.

Not just because of the insensitave nature of the piece as mentioned by Jonathon and Flutt above.

But also because it was an extremely cynical method used by RTÉ to downplay their farsical handling of the apparent demotion of one of their own staff. They didn't have the guts to speak with Harte when they were offered the opportunity to do so, but have no problem taking his interview out of context for their own use.

It was a sickening and nasty excuse for humour and I'm saddened that Murray went along with it.
    I thought he was better than that.

Lapin wrote: »
    It was a cheap shot and one that RTÉ should be ashamed of.

The extracts in the 'humorous item' were taken from an interview Harte gave to Mary Wilson on Drivetime the previous day. It centered around the decision by a group of GAA managers not to speak to RTÉ, due to what they believe to be an unfair demotion of GAA commentator Brian Carthy

Following the interview Wilson said a spokesperson from RTÉ was also asked appear on the programme, but they declined.
    (This was the first time I ever heard of anyone in Montrose refusing an interview on one of their own programmes.)

I wouldn't blame Micky Harte if he never spoke to them again.

Not just because of the insensitave nature of the piece as mentioned by Jonathon and Flutt above.

But also because it was an extremely cynical method used by RTÉ to downplay their farsical handling of the apparent demotion of one of their own staff. They didn't have the guts to speak with Harte when they were offered the opportunity to do so, but have no problem taking his interview out of context for their own use.

It was a sickening and nasty excuse for humour and I'm saddened that Murray went along with it.
    I thought he was better than that.
    He is not better than that.
    Been mooching around that slot for the thick end of a year trying to be funny.
    He has failed........ admit it RTE.

Lapin wrote: »
    The extracts in the 'humorous item' were taken from an interview Harte gave to Mary Wilson on Drivetime the previous day.

I heard the interview the previous day, but I think part of the it was taken from The Business Show over the previous year.. he was brought in to that show to listen to business pitches from business owners (over the phone) and he would give his opinion as to who was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

While I don't agree that GAA managers should dictate RTE policy, I find it staggering that they included that song in the "sketch". Truly shockingly insensitive.

To be honest the connection between the song and his daughter flew over my head until Jon pointed it out in an earlier post as my mind was more concentrated on Murray's contribution. Which leads to the question what if any daily/ weekly/ monthly debrief is held between presenter and back room staff?? My guess is none at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Just listened to the clip above there (thanks JonAnon). Wow it's bad.

They must be wondering where they can move him to... his place has been filled on The Business and Morning Ireland. Whatever way they go about it it won't look good, but after hearing that clip it seems like an inevitability that he will be shifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I can't understand how anyone enjoys this guy. He isn't funny, full stop . RTE need to get a grip, and realise they are pissing our money away making crap like this.

RTE need to get a grip, and realise they are pissing our money away making crap like this.

I think that particularly over the last couple of years they have made a number of really bad broadcasting decisions, which seemed more to be appease their presenters themselves, rather than to genuinely try to improve the quality of broadcasting..

John Murray was good at the business show... BUT RTE had nothing for George Lee had no job (given that he is still in "decontamination") and they needed someone to fill in Gerry Ryan's slot.. So, rather than find somebody new for any of the positions they just simply found a job for all their existing presenters, never mind whether they were fitted to the job or not.. And what did they come up with..

George Lee on The Business Show... okay at best..
    Tubridy talking about Willy Wonka and Clinton from 9am-11am (2FM) .. awful
    The John Murray Comedy Hour 9am-10am (Radio 1) ... awful
    Charlie Bird.. given whatever job he wants apparently... though he's never happy.

RTE seems is run for the benefit of the people in the organisation themselves, not for the good of the public.. They then just spin the JNLR figures to suit themselves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I used to think the show was ok. In my mind it was a hell of a lot better than having tubbers on, I am allergic to him.

However, his intros are dire and he just needs to drop his comedy attempts. Local radio is brutal for me, D'arcy would give an anadin a headache and Tubbers is a no go, so as it stands he is the best of a bad lot.

• Advertisement

I think that particularly over the last couple of years they have made a number of really bad broadcasting decisions, which seemed more to be appease their presenters themselves, rather than to genuinely try to improve the quality of broadcasting..

John Murray was good at the business show... BUT RTE had nothing for George Lee had no job (given that he is still in "decontamination") and they needed someone to fill in Gerry Ryan's slot.. So, rather than find somebody new for any of the positions they just simply found a job for all their existing presenters, never mind whether they were fitted to the job or not.. And what did they come up with..

George Lee on The Business Show... okay at best..
    Tubridy talking about Willy Wonka and Clinton from 9am-11am (2FM) .. awful
    The John Murray Comedy Hour 9am-10am (Radio 1) ... awful
    Charlie Bird.. given whatever job he wants apparently... though he's never happy.

RTE seems is run for the benefit of the people in the organisation themselves, not for the good of the public.. They then just spin the JNLR figures to suit themselves..

Have to agree that Those Who Rule in Montrose have gotten many things wrong

Tubridy does not connect with the 2fm audience.... end of story.

Murray is at the very best, poor.

Definitely not up to an hour show.Kia seem to have seen the light.

In my opinion RTE1 Rad need to take a bit of a risk with that 0900-1000 hour and get maybe a younger age demographic at least tempted to tune in.

Not Kat Thomas who is way too 'into' celeb culture and tabloid stuff.

No, some eager young hopeful who perhaps can combine a fast running but interesting hour with some serious interviews handled with professionalism and not that absolute crud that the producer of the John Murray show seems to think is appropriate.

Absolute total load of bollocks, if i may say so.

Advertisement