Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The typical Boards.ie LC student.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Reillyman wrote: »
    The first few pages of this thread really highlight the problem in this country. My god am I sick of been made feel bad for doing above average. If I hear one more person tell people like me "how bad I've made them feel" or how I'm "boasting", I'll fcuking lose it. Why do people ask what you got if they then call you arrogant for telling them? It's not my results that have made them feel bad, it's themselves! So please, TimeToShine and the rest of your posse, could ye fcuk off, seriously recked my buzz on results night.

In what kind of a society is success looked down upon? If people like the OP took their head out of there arse and started looking at their own problems instead of putting everyone else down I'm sure they'd be a lot happier.

Another thing that pissed me off in this thread, "People saying how easy the exam was are really insensitive..." Yeah your right, after finding an exam easy, I should come on here and lie, say it was difficult, just so I don't upset the people who aren't confident in themselves? What is the point of an internet forum if you can't give honest opinions? The people complaining about answer swapping too, get a life! If you see a thread "Maths Paper 2 Solutions" why the fcuk would you look at it if your just going to whinge???

Haha it's actually ridiculous how angry a lot of posts in this forum made me. Having said that there are a few people with a lot of sense, LutherBlisset, Timbuk, EuropeanSon etc all have a normal perspective on things, at least we have some hope here:pac:

Btw, to anyone who done bad and feels that this post "makes them feel bad" or that I'm "bragging", can go and fcuk themselves, I've been civil for a long time but I couldn't give a sh1te anymore...

"Recked" your buzz, way to spell it correctly Mr. Above Average.

I don't know how lenient/strict the Moderators here are on personal abuse, because believe me I have a torrent of it I'd love to hit you with.

So, it's a "problem" that there are some people out there who can empathise with those who didn't achieve their desired goals? It's a "problem" that we aren't all cocky insecure and petty children who go around waving our LC points score like some sort of sign of royalty, Wow you got 590 points good job, tell all your friends who failed the Leaving Cert, I'm sure they'd love to know.

But I'm sorry, if the high failure rate of Maths in Ireland "recked your buzz" on results night, or those people who didn't get what they wanted "recked your buzz" Damn those stupid people who things don't work out for eh? Wouldn't it be better if the Bell curve just gave A1's to everyone? Then Mr. Above average wouldn't feel "bad" about doing so well. You think you feel "bad" for doing so well? Get a grip kid, wait until you're out in the real world and you'll see what "feeling bad" really is, not getting an A2 instead of an A1 and crying all night about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

So, it's a "problem" that there are some people out there who can empathise with those who didn't achieve their desired goals? It's a "problem" that we aren't all cocky insecure and petty children who go around waving our LC points score like some sort of sign of royalty, Wow you got 590 points good job, tell all your friends who failed the Leaving Cert, I'm sure they'd love to know.
    So people that do well are do well are supposed to apolagise for it?That's just ridiculous people shouldn't be made to feel bad just because they did well.And why are you assuming that everyone that does well is cocky and petty children?Grow up Man!
    Get a grip kid, wait until you're out in the real world and you'll see what "feeling bad" really is,
    If i'm not in the real world where exactly am I?TimeToShine I can only hope that your posts are some sort of sick joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

"Recked" your buzz, way to spell it correctly Mr. Above Average.

I don't know how lenient/strict the Moderators here are on personal abuse, because believe me I have a torrent of it I'd love to hit you with.

But I'm sorry, if the high failure rate of Maths in Ireland "recked your buzz" on results night, or those people who didn't get what they wanted "recked your buzz" Damn those stupid people who things don't work out for eh? Wouldn't it be better if the Bell curve just gave A1's to everyone? Then Mr. Above average wouldn't feel "bad" about doing so well. You think you feel "bad" for doing so well? Get a grip kid, wait until you're out in the real world and you'll see what "feeling bad" really is, not getting an A2 instead of an A1 and crying all night about it.

590? Subtract 100 from that and your on the money...

Believe me aswell, that feeling of a torrent of abuse is mutual.

You obviously misunderstood my rant. My problem is with people like you, not people who "didn't get what they wanted." People like you, who come on to a thread called "Results 2010" and then whinge about other people's results making them feel bad. People like you who ask me what I got, I tell you, and then I'm suddenly "bragging" for answering you? People like you who seem perfectly fine of belittling those exceptional people who got 550+ but when the shoes on the other foot it's a different story.

Your vision of this whole system is obviously blurred. You seem to equate people by what point's they got? So in fact it is the like of you who has the problem. I got 490, and I'm absolutely delighted with myself, I put in a good bit of work, so I fail to see how I can be criticised for that? But here on this thread I'm in the same boat as people who got all sorts of points, what makes us stand out maybe, is that we are proud of our own acheivements, can differentiate our abilities from people who perform to a higher standard, and not put others down on internet forums out of jealousy.

I don't know how you think I feel "bad" for doing well? As I said already I'm delighted with my results? By no means did I "get an A2 instead of an A1 and crying all night about it." Don't know why on earth you think that?

"Wait until I'm out in the real world"? Well I can safely say that I'll be much more prepared for it than you, on the basis of your comments tonight. I'm confident in myself and my abilities and will always aim as high as I can and try my best to achieve what I want. You will wallow in your own self pity and blame everyone else for your problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

So people that study and want to do well ?Are "Exam obssesed Nerds"?
    I've visited the LC section almost very day for the past year, that was very much a self deprecating joke.
    If you feel that you did well then you have no reason to feel inadequate.You can only do your own leaving cert.
    Again I was half joking, I'm proud of what I got, I was just noting that a lot of people on here got amazing results and sometimes it's easy to mistake the bell curve of results on here as being representative of the whole country.
    Another thing that pissed me off in this thread, "People saying how easy the exam was are really insensitive..." Yeah your right, after finding an exam easy, I should come on here and lie, say it was difficult, just so I don't upset the people who aren't confident in themselves?
    I wouldn't mind the people who thought exams were easy, so much as the people who thought the exams were easy and felt the need to inform everyone else that if they thought differently they mustn't have opened a books all year.

There's a difference between telling people that you're happy with how you did, and being a total pr1ck about it. Most of the regulars are the former, but I suspect the OP is basing their opinion off the latter type, a lot of which were here in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Thank you Reillyman, for saying everything I wanted to say more clearly and eloquently than I could've said it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Thank you Reillyman, for saying everything I wanted to say more clearly and eloquently than I could've said it. :)

No problem, been wanting to let loose for a while now, this thread tipped me over the edge. The positives I take from it all however, is that it's people like us that will do well in life, and TimeToShine and co will settle for their mediocracy.

As nelson Mandela said,
    Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

I think that this whole thread is full of extremes...

On the one hand you have the opinion that people shouldn't make others feel bad. I agree, making people feel bad is not a nice thing to do. However, logging onto a forum is your own choice. Coming onto an LC forum where many students have above average grades is something you pick to do by yourself. If people are going to boast/say exams were easy/post results, they should be allowed to do that. They shouldn't really rub it in someone else's face on purpose in my view, but they have the right to as long as it's civil...

Anyway, I digress. Think of it this way...Imagine you were frequenting a board for people with extremely nice and expensive cars, while you yourself drive a twenty year old piece of scrap. You know that you are going to feel inadequate; hence, do not go on the forum. I only use this analogy because the OP said that coming here inspired feelings of inadequacy. Just don't come here if that's the case! And if you do, don't post generalisations that many people (not so much myself, but then I'm an easy going guy) might find hurtful and/or rude.

Now the logic that 'I did well and I can say whatever I want' is true, but personally I find that a little modesty makes any achievement all the more palatable for everyone involved. Sure, you have the right to be proud and so on, but there is some kind of limit to that before it becomes borderline arrogant. (That refers to nobody in particular, save perhaps the imaginary 'typical Boards.ie LC student' alluded to by the OP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

88% of statistics are made up. :D
    69% of them are turned on their head ... >_>
    I've been civil for a long time ...
    Jeez, I must keep catching you on a bad day! :p
    Oh the irony!I don't often say this but good call mods
    Now, what did we ever do to you? 0_o
    This thread is stretching my patience as it is.
    JamesJB wrote: »
    I think that this whole thread is full of extremes...

Now the logic that 'I did well and I can say whatever I want' is true, but personally I find that a little modesty makes any achievement all the more palatable for everyone involved. Sure, you have the right to be proud and so on, but there is some kind of limit to that before it becomes borderline arrogant. (That refers to nobody in particular, save perhaps the imaginary 'typical Boards.ie LC student' alluded to by the OP.
    Marry me, James!! :cool:

Hmmm ... oh, fvck it, may as well give into the nazi moderator stereotype, given that no matter what we do, that's what people expect anyway.

Thread locked.

Go have your pissing contest somewhere else! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement