Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The typical Boards.ie LC student.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

....I guess I must be missing something :/
    ... or not ... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

... or not ... >_>

Yeah, didn't think so...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

I went into a results thread after reading the OP's post. All I saw were lists of people (with results varying from the 300s to the high 500s) posting their results and congratulating each other. There were some people who were unhappy even though they got results that would be considered excellent on an objective scale, but that's only because their subjective aims for themselves and the work they put in wasn't reflected in their results. That can be hard to swallow, no matter how well you do.

Nobody was really boasting, either, I might add...

I think that the whole point of this topic was to have a go at some very specific people. That, or the OP genuinely thinks that people on this board want to make others feel bad with their top tier grades. Well, if you want to look at it logically, Boards could just be a place where many students of high academic ability tend to visit? It doesn't exactly represent the entire Irish population. Statistically the percentage of A grades in every subject (this is ignoring any points about grade inflation, some exams being 'too easy' etc.) is usually quite low IIRC. Maybe if the OP doesn't like the typical Boards student, he shouldn't go on Boards. Then he could be satisfied by comparing standards with the entire Irish population as a whole instead of these select few mystery students o' torment... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Good post OP,listening to some people on the internet would drive you insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Maestoso

I get your humour, but it sounds a bit bitter and hypersensitive, but I spose everyone gets like that about something.

edit: Anyway, something I hope we all can agree on is that any level of arrogance from any boards.ie user is nowhere near compared to the arrogance that can be viewed in the comments section of a youtube video. Youtube comments is the epicentre of online dick-waving.

• Advertisement

Maestoso wrote: »
    edit: Anyway, something I hope we all can agree on is that any level of arrogance from any boards.ie user is nowhere near compared to the arrogance that can be viewed in the comments section of a youtube video. Youtube comments is the epicentre of online dick-waving.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/listen_to_yourself.png

Yeah, I think that sums it up. Even excluding the perpetual trollercoaster from...certain sites....Youtube pretty much is the place to be if you're arrogant and/or prone to complete lapses in coherence.

I do get the OP's humour, however. I was perhaps a tad acerbic in my reply, but only because all the people I've spoken to on here seem reasonable and concerned mostly for their own standards. There is some arrogance, yes. Some people were arguing, I recall, in a post-2010 LC analysis thread about how they had the right to be as arrogant and boastful as they wanted about their performance in tests since they did the work. My view there would be that you have the right to do pretty much anything you want in that sense, but it still isn't necessary and only incites others.

However I don't think that making generalisations about all Boards LC students is really fair, and the aforementioned 'hypersensitivity' about this whole issue of academia seems spot on...

JamesJB wrote: »
    http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/listen_to_yourself.png

Yeah, I think that sums it up. Even excluding the perpetual trollercoaster from...certain sites....Youtube pretty much is the place to be if you're arrogant and/or prone to complete lapses in coherence.
    http://i35.tinypic.com/10z8dg7.jpg I like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I got 800 points.

I got 240:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TRAPASARMY

I'm that same person who came on the day after the exam and made a thread entitled "OMFG DAT CHEMISTRY PAPER WOZ IMPOSSIBLE?!"

How come your join date is August 2010. LOL

TRAPASARMY wrote: »
    I think you may have missed the OP's point, in fairness! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dmp07

In This Thread : Jealous angry people.
    :wears flame suit:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The OP manages to come across as quite bitter and jealous. I've seen nothing that could be called boasting about LC results here on boards. If you don't like reading about how well people did, don't read the results thread. It's quite easy to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I had to stop coming on Boards after my exams, because I'd come home fairly happy about how I got on, and then all the f*ckers would be comparing answers and I'd see something I wrote differently and I'd panic and end up a teary mess! It was horrible! And I did exceptionally well in the exams, so feck them all with their pointless answer swapping. :rolleyes:

LC 2011 people: Prepare for people to SERIOUSLY post-mortem every inch of every exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

TRAPASARMY wrote: »
    I'm that same person who came on the day after the exam and made a thread entitled "OMFG DAT CHEMISTRY PAPER WOZ IMPOSSIBLE?!"

Im pretty sure he was impersonating the "typical" LC boards person, he literally wasnt that person :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭graceknowsstuff

aine92 wrote: »
    LC 2011 people: Prepare for people to SERIOUSLY post-mortem every inch of every exam.

This is true!
    I lurk here more than post, I must admit... It just seems hard to jump right in sometimes! As a Leaving Cert student (well, not anymore, whoop!) I've been through many threads on this forum on boards and, yeah, everyone's totally exam-crazed. Which is sort of a given, as this is the forum to be exam-crazed!
    And what the LC forum is all about is expressing every little concern and frantically comparing with others and trying to console yourself with the knowledge that there are people out there going as mad as you are over every tiny detail of the exams.

And of course, then, the results thread. Well, sure, that's the same thing. We all want to hear how everyone else did and compare ourselves with them and yes, share our success/lament our disappointment. It's totally natural, imo.

But I think that's what the OP has been hit with. And yeah, a lot of people here will have done very well because (as some other posters have pointed out) THOSE are some of the people that were on here every night having anxiety attacks about every Mock paper, etc. And sure, saying "OMG it was SOOO hard" and then doing very well. But we've all done that: either genuinely thought something was worse than it was or said we've "DEFFO failed" something that we know was really only a C1 or WHATEVER.

But posting good results does not equal bragging. You may see it that way, TimeToShine, if you compare yourself with them, but that could be your insecurity more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Well if I got 600 points I'd certainly be boasting.

Well if I got 600 points I'd certainly be boasting.

It's actually not as a big of a deal as you might think. The thing is, and I hope you'll forgive me if this seems extremely ignorant or something, once you've actually gotten 600 you look back at everything you did and take everything into account...then if you're like me you realise that it's not worth boasting about. Nothing is, really.

It's actually not as a big of a deal as you might think. The thing is, and I hope you'll forgive me if this seems extremely ignorant or something, once you've actually gotten 600 you look back at everything you did and take everything into account...then if you're like me you realise that it's not worth boasting about. Nothing is, really.
    You got 600 pts? Wow, fair play.
    I'd still boast though :p

You got 600 pts? Wow, fair play.
    I'd still boast though :p

I suppose a little boasting couldn't hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭YohanCabeye7

Average LC score : 340 points
    Average Boards.ie LC Score : 440 points

My estimate, so I agree with OP :)

• Advertisement

I suppose a little boasting couldn't hurt!
    Of course not! I think I'd probably scan my result page thing onto boards, just to prove it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The OP manages to come across as quite bitter and jealous. I've seen nothing that could be called boasting about LC results here on boards. If you don't like reading about how well people did, don't read the results thread. It's quite easy to avoid.

So instead of attacking the post you attack the poster, Logical Fallacy Number 1. the Ad Hominem argument. Good day sir. I think you come across as ignorant and foolish.

Moderators, in the interest of fairness if you're going to ban me for the aforementioned "insult" then it's only fair that EuropeanSon is banned for his as well which I found REALLY offensive :D

Nobody threatened to ban either of you! :confused:

However, if the two of you are going to insist on comparing the size of your ... adjectives, please do it somewhere other than the LC forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

So instead of attacking the post you attack the poster, Logical Fallacy Number 1. the Ad Hominem argument. Good day sir. I think you come across as ignorant and foolish.

Moderators, in the interest of fairness if you're going to ban me for the aforementioned "insult" then it's only fair that EuropeanSon is banned for his as well which I found REALLY offensive :D
    Note the fact that I didn't call you bitter or jealous. Rather, what I did was attack the post, saying it gave the impression of someone who would be bitter or jealous.

Also, congratulations on managing to avoid responding to my very valid points, instead calling for me to be banned for giving my opinion on your quite bitter and jealous sounding post on a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

aine92 wrote: »
    I had to stop coming on Boards after my exams, because I'd come home fairly happy about how I got on, and then all the f*ckers would be comparing answers and I'd see something I wrote differently and I'd panic and end up a teary mess! It was horrible! And I did exceptionally well in the exams, so feck them all with their pointless answer swapping. :rolleyes:

Well if you see a thread saying 'What did you think of Maths Paper 2?' of course people are going to compare answers in it. That's what they do outside the exam centre. As well, people are often looking for a bit of reassurance when the paper didn't go so well for them, and if other people are saying the paper was hard, then they might feel, well it wasn't just them. A prime example of that was the ag science paper this year which was pretty much universally slated.
    Average LC score : 340 points
    Average Boards.ie LC Score : 440 points

My estimate, so I agree with OP :)

88% of statistics are made up. :D

This thread is a bunch of direct insults masquerading as implications, allusions and half-lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

The first few pages of this thread really highlight the problem in this country. My god am I sick of been made feel bad for doing above average. If I hear one more person tell people like me "how bad I've made them feel" or how I'm "boasting", I'll fcuking lose it. Why do people ask what you got if they then call you arrogant for telling them? It's not my results that have made them feel bad, it's themselves! So please, TimeToShine and the rest of your posse, could ye fcuk off, seriously recked my buzz on results night.

In what kind of a society is success looked down upon? If people like the OP took their head out of there arse and started looking at their own problems instead of putting everyone else down I'm sure they'd be a lot happier.

Another thing that pissed me off in this thread, "People saying how easy the exam was are really insensitive..." Yeah your right, after finding an exam easy, I should come on here and lie, say it was difficult, just so I don't upset the people who aren't confident in themselves? What is the point of an internet forum if you can't give honest opinions? The people complaining about answer swapping too, get a life! If you see a thread "Maths Paper 2 Solutions" why the fcuk would you look at it if your just going to whinge???

Haha it's actually ridiculous how angry a lot of posts in this forum made me. Having said that there are a few people with a lot of sense, LutherBlisset, Timbuk, EuropeanSon etc all have a normal perspective on things, at least we have some hope here:pac:

Btw, to anyone who done bad and feels that this post "makes them feel bad" or that I'm "bragging", can go and fcuk themselves, I've been civil for a long time but I couldn't give a sh1te anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Reillyman wrote: »
    The first few pages of this thread really highlight the problem in this country. My god am I sick of been made feel bad for doing above average. If I hear one more person tell people like me "how bad I've made them feel" or how I'm "boasting", I'll fcuking lose it. Why do people ask what you got if they then call you arrogant for telling them? It's not my results that have made them feel bad, it's themselves! So please, TimeToShine and the rest of your posse, could ye fcuk off, seriously recked my buzz on results night.

In what kind of a society is success looked down upon? If people like the OP took their head out of there arse and started looking at their own problems instead of putting everyone else down I'm sure they'd be a lot happier.

Another thing that pissed me off in this thread, "People saying how easy the exam was are really insensitive..." Yeah your right, after finding an exam easy, I should come on here and lie, say it was difficult, just so I don't upset the people who aren't confident in themselves? What is the point of an internet forum if you can't give honest opinions? The people complaining about answer swapping too, get a life! If you see a thread "Maths Paper 2 Solutions" why the fcuk would you look at it if your just going to whinge???

Haha it's actually ridiculous how angry a lot of posts in this forum made me. Having said that there are a few people with a lot of sense, LutherBlisset, Timbuk, EuropeanSon etc all have a normal perspective on things, at least we have some hope here:pac:

Btw, to anyone who done bad and feels that this post "makes them feel bad" or that I'm "bragging", can go and fcuk themselves, I've been civil for a long time but I couldn't give a sh1te anymore...
    At least you held back on the language:rolleyes::) Good post though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭graceknowsstuff

Reillyman wrote: »
    Another thing that pissed me off in this thread, "People saying how easy the exam was are really insensitive..." Yeah your right, after finding an exam easy, I should come on here and lie, say it was difficult, just so I don't upset the people who aren't confident in themselves?

I'm inclined to agree... I mean, we're all different so surely the people who excel should be allowed to do so openly along with those than complain? It's a good point that this is quite an "Irish" way to be; never allowed to show off our successes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I got 800 points. Yes 800 points. Not 600, not 700 but 800 points.

I got 8 A1's. You know that subject you're really struggling with? I got an A1 in it with relative ease. The paper on the day was piss easy, I didn't even have to stretch my incredibly capable brain for that A1.

I got an A1 in English. Please ignore my hopelessly misguided grammar issues on this forum, they are irrelevant. Even though I use txtspit and can't distinguish between "your" and "you're" I got an A1 in English.

I got an A1 in French. I know I've cried all year about how difficult it was and how disastrous my oral was but I've gotten my A. I don't really care about those of you who wanted A's and got B's, because i got an A.

I got an A1 in Chemistry. I'm that same person who came on the day after the exam and made a thread entitled "OMFG DAT CHEMISTRY PAPER WOZ IMPOSSIBLE?!" Yes I got an A1 and I refuse to be in any way humble or modest about it.

I got an A1 in Physics, Maths, Applied Maths, Accounting and every other number related subject. I love to tell people how incredibly talented I am at maths on the internet. I have no respect for other people's feelings or problems with these subjects. As long as I get my A1's I'm happy. Now I'm looking forward to doing a Mathematics degree with Pure Mathematics and some Maths thrown in, I'm going to be rich while you struggle to pass Ordinary level Maths.

I got an A2 in Economics. Happy as I was to rattle off my previous A1's without any empathy for others who didn't come near to getting them, when I get an A2 I'm looking for someone to make me feel better by telling me they got a lower grade and did more work. I'm appealing this immediately because the SEC cannot give ME a B grade, how absurd.

Yes, I am the typical boards.ie LCer. Bow before me you worthless pieces of filth, for I am better than you all at everything in life.
    Nobody with any amount of intelligence would post something like that.
    Lawliet wrote: »
    Heh I guess this section does attract the exam obsessed nerds.
    So people that study and want to do well ?Are "Exam obssesed Nerds"?
    Lawliet wrote: »
    It's funny, I feel rather inadequate about my results because half the people on here were claiming points in the high 500s. Even though I know I got a damn good leaving cert, and it's above average, my perspective of what's good has been warped somewhat by this board.
    If you feel that you did well then you have no reason to feel inadequate.You can only do your own leaving cert.
    You forgot that everyone on the leaving cert forum is doing medicine, they need their 800 points
    That's right get the dig in.
    DB10 wrote: »

Agreed though the nerds really put a downer on things, and I really think about a 1/4 of them lie about their results.
    I really don't think that very many do that,it's just that the people that do very well are more likely to post their result.
    If people rave about A1s they did nothing for, well then they're lying.
    That is very true.
    Insecurities? I don't want people who do their best to come on and feel useless when they see how other people are outstripping them points wise and results wise by doing what seems to be nothing for it.
    Nobody who does well does nothing.You just have to be able to accept that sometimes people just do better than you and not let it get you down.Not just in the leaving but in everything.
    I think you come across as ignorant and foolish.
    Oh the irony!

Moderators, in the interest of fairness if you're going to ban me for the aforementioned "insult"
    I don't often say this but good call mods
    Maestoso wrote: »
    This thread is a bunch of direct insults masquerading as implications, allusions and half-lights.
    Welcome to Boards:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement