Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'no kill' shelters?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

blondie7 wrote: »
    All these people who say the DSPCA are not a no kill shelter then why did they spend so much money and time trying to save the kitten i adopted out of there last year.

No one is saying the DSPCA don't do good work, they're simply saying that it's not correct of them to state they are a 'no kill' shelter when in fact they do put down healthy animals. There are many different rescues/sanctuaries/rehoming centre around the country who have different policies. That's absolutely fine, each organisation makes a choice about what way they think is the best to help animals in need but they need to be more transparent about their policies.

It seems like every group around the country is saying they're 'no kill' but when you question it then it's a case that they're 'no kill' except for....... So what's happening is the places that are genuinely no kill aren't believed anymore, people assume that because so many other groups do pts healthy animals despite being 'no kill' that they must also do so

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

All these people who say the DSPCA are not a no kill shelter then why did they spend so much money and time trying to save the kitten i adopted out of there last year. My kitten had been in a terrible accident and was brought into the DSPCA with his tail and leg hanging off. Why did they amputate his tail and put stints in his leg and nurse him back to health when he had cat flu if they put animals to sleep? Surley they wouldnt have bothered trying to save him at all! All of you out there are talking about friends of yours not you personally. The DSPCA do fantastic work in the Dublin area and there all very friendly people down there. Unlike other rescues i have been in contact with, even a certain one that doesnt even get back to people about adopting a pet!

Why did they tell someone a few weeks ago to call "pest control" about 2 tiny little kittens in a factory ???I called them about 4 kittens in a back garden,they said if ye can bring them in but if we cant tame them they will be pts????? they were 6 weeks old.If they cant tame a 6 week old kitten there is something seriously wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

boxerly wrote: »
    Why did they tell someone a few weeks ago to call "pest control" about 2 tiny little kittens in a factory ???I called them about 4 kittens in a back garden,they said if ye can bring them in but if we cant tame them they will be pts????? they were 6 weeks old.If they cant tame a 6 week old kitten there is something seriously wrong.
    As I mention above, quality of the staff (particularly those answering the public phones) can be haphazard.

They tend to be quite cynical, and will often tell people to deal with things themselves. In relation to the phone call you made, you were basically being told to capture them yourself and discouraged from brining the cats in if it could be helped. They wouldn't be pts - you were told that in order to encourage you to look after the cats yourself. They wouldn't actually be pts if you brought them in.

The problem here is that when people want to surrender their animals, 90% of the time they're not prepared to pay to do so. They expect the DSPCA to take the animal and rehome it for free. So when the person gets told they'll have to pay to surrender the animal, they ring up a few hours later claiming to have "found" a stray animal and wanting to bring it up to the DSPCA.

Unfortunately the cynics on the public phone now treat everyone with suspicion and so you'll be told something to try and encourage you to look after the animals yourself. If someone is trying to dump their pet on the DSPCA, then the threat of PTS will make them think twice. If it's a genuine stray, most people will bring it up to the shelter regardless.

It's poor service and it's a stupid thing to do because then the DSPCA gets a bad rep, absolutely. But it's in no way indicative of the actual policies at the shelter. From seeing various discussions online, the public phone seems to be one of the major failings up there because some of the staff who man the phone simply should never be allowed to speak to the public, ever.

They arent my cats:)Ive 3 kids,4 dogs,a cat and I mind dogs.I dont have time to go looking after kittens aswell:)

They arent my cats:)
    Oh I know. But try telling that to someone when more than half of the "strays" brought to the shelter are actually unwanted litters or pets. When you say, "I've found 2 kittens in my back garden", they hear, "My cat has given birth and I can't be arsed finding homes for them".

As I say, it's entirely the wrong attitude to have, and only some staff members have this attitude; it's luck of the draw who answers the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

How do you no the kittens were six weeks old? Was the mother with the kittens? Were they sitting in your back garden for six weeks??

seamus wrote: »
    Oh I know. But try telling that to someone when more than half of the "strays" brought to the shelter are actually unwanted litters or pets. When you say, "I've found 2 kittens in my back garden", they hear, "My cat has given birth and I can't be arsed finding homes for them".

As I say, it's entirely the wrong attitude to have, and only some staff members have this attitude; it's luck of the draw who answers the phone.

Thats so true I know :)I also rang about a month ago about a dog I saw being punched my its "owner" they said call the guards?I rang KSPCA and spoke to a lovely lady who answered the phone and did the call outs.She called to the owner the next day:)I actually passed him last night and he was being nice to the dog:)but he did hang his head thik he recognised me because I had a right go at him when he punched the poor dog around

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I also rang about a month ago about a dog I saw being punched my its "owner" they said call the guards?

Neither the ISPCA or local SPCA's have any authority to act. All they can do is advise. If anyone witnesses animal cruelty the correct people to call are the Guards. Animal Law is the same as any other criminal law. If the Guards refuse to act then make a formal complaint.

The RSPCA get £36 million in public donations every year. If the Irish public were to support the ISPCA to the same degree they would get €3 million per year. This would provide for a proper national service with a network of inspectors & shelters.

How do you no the kittens were six weeks old? Was the mother with the kittens? Were they sitting in your back garden for six weeks??

First of all I know they were about 6 weeks old because they were in my sisters neighbours garden.I saw the kittens myself,they were with the mammy who is an outdoor cat who obviously wasnt spayed.And secondly there wouldnt be a stray in my garden because I would have brought them in as I have done in the past !!You seem to be getting very defensive ??do you work for them?

Just to add,blondie all my pets are spayed and neautered !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Leitrim Animal Welfare..

I think it is Discodog who has the set of tables to hand where the killing of dogs is featured? Dave is the Dog Warden for Leitrim and they have a fine record.

http://www.leitrimanimals.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Blondie7 you seem to have had 1 experience with them. And lucky you, it was a good one.

Personally I've dealt with them on at least 4 occasions (all to do with rescues before you take it on yourself to question me as you did boxerly earlier) and would never ever deal with them again. Some of their staff are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

None of my dealings with them have been good either. When I rang to tell them that a beautiful young jack russell chipped to them was in the pound they wouldn't take it back. Said that they didn't take back dogs which I thought was lovely. Leave the smaller, less well known and well funded rescues to clean up their mess. Thankfully there was a rescue dealing with the pound or else the dog would have been pts.

It hasn't been the only dog in that was rehomed by them either and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Whispered wrote: »
    Blondie7 you seem to have had 1 experience with them. And lucky you, it was a good one.

Personally I've dealt with them on at least 4 occasions (all to do with rescues before you take it on yourself to question me as you did boxerly earlier) and would never ever deal with them again. Some of their staff are a disgrace.

No your assuming i only dealt with them the once, ive actually dealt with them several times and have never had any problems as had anyone else i know! And yes i did question boxerly before not that i have to answer to you!

No your assuming i only dealt with them the once, ive actually dealt with them several times and have never had any problems as had anyone else i know! And yes i did question boxerly before not that i have to answer to you!

But you expect another poster to answer to you? Well that seems fair......:D

You seem very very defensive.

Lucky you, a few good experiences. Seems like people who can say that are few and far between.

Can I ask what dealing you had with them?

Some of mine - a box of 14 kittens left on my doorstep. I brought them in (as I already had a litter of pups and could not cope with both), with a donation and was told "not to be telling lies" by the woman I met. And told that my donation was not enough so the kittens would be pts when I left. I left with the kittens (who went to a volunteer rescue) and when I asked for my donation back the cheeky woman asked me was I really going to "take food from the animals mouth" :eek:

Another one, I rang about a feral cat and was told that I must have been feeding it so it was my problem.

I picked up a dog the day before I went on holiday and asked them to take it - along with a donation. And was told to put it into the pound. I said that if it wasn't homed by the time I got back I'd take him back out and home him myself. No way would they help. I would have paid for him to go into our local kennels but obviously they wouldn't be able to accept him.

Friends have had similar experiences such as being told that a pregnant feral cat is "none of her business", and another being asked why she is "pretending" the dog isn't hers.

They are an absolute disgrace to "animal rescues" and give other rescues a bad name, people can so easily confuse them with other rescues when they don't have much knowledge of it.

Like said earlier - they need to watch who they allow deal with people as they only put people off.

and who are you to question me???? you dont know me or what I do.Who chased a pom around in the winter for 2 weeks trying to get him..dspca?? NO ME.Who went to tesco 3 times a day trying to get an old starving dog??dspca?? NO ME with a newborn baby in a buggy and 2 small kids on the back.Who went into horses with ropes tied around their necks to cut them off?dspca????? ye know the answer.So before you feel the need to question me again stop and think !!!!!The smaller rescues in this country do so much work with so little money while bigger places with more money more space etc do less !

The smaller rescues in this country do so much work with so little money while bigger places with more money more space etc do less !
    This is true - most of the smaller places have people available all the time. They never say no, even if it means taking yet another dog into their home before finding a foster for them.

Their lives revolve around their work and for them to be assumed to be the same as the dspca is a shame. :(

DSPCA may do good work and I would always encourgae people to rehome as opposed to buy, but I wouldn't donate to them, and I wouldn't advise anybody to go to them for help. Unfortunately the smaller rescues with much less funding usually end up picking up where the dspca refuse to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Organisations have policies but people have hearts. The rescues will always try to help because their hearts rule their heads.

Any organisation involved in Animal Welfare will come under criticism especially in a country with so much animal neglect & cruelty as there will be high expectations that can not be achieved. Personally I think that whole national ISPCA & regional SPCA system is wrong. We need a national service with consistent policies & people.

boxerly i didnt question you i questioned your post! I asked you how did you no the kittens were 6 weeks old? I am not asking you to sing your own praises there and by god have you :rolleyes: if your that worried about neglect on animals how about volunteering with one of the many organisations. You all had bad experiences with the DSPCA i have never had one nor has anybody i no had any. I found a small kitten in work not so long ago and rang Cats aid to see would they take it but oh no guess what it wasnt there problem and they told me to leave it back where i got it. Even though the poor little thing was malnourished and covered in diesel. Rang the DSPCA and they told me to bring him in straight away (and there was no mention of him being pts) I did however decide to keep him though (he was to cute to let go!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Blondie7, Boxerly volunteers for plenty of rescues. Her place is always offered as a safe haven if an animal needs it and she's picked up countless waifs and strays along the way. All that and raising a young family. She doesn't need to do more than she already does. She makes a difference, so lay off her.

boxerly i didnt question you i questioned your post! I asked you how did you no the kittens were 6 weeks old? I am not asking you to sing your own praises there and by god have you :rolleyes: if your that worried about neglect on animals how about volunteering with one of the many organisations. You all had bad experiences with the DSPCA i have never had one nor has anybody i no had any. I found a small kitten in work not so long ago and rang Cats aid to see would they take it but oh no guess what it wasnt there problem and they told me to leave it back where i got it. Even though the poor little thing was malnourished and covered in diesel. Rang the DSPCA and they told me to bring him in straight away (and there was no mention of him being pts) I did however decide to keep him though (he was to cute to let go!) :D

Oh I do plenty,and I wasnt singing my own praises,I was telling you that after no help from the dspca I had to do it myself,that is all.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Trust me, Boxerly does more than her fair share of volunteering, she's well known among the rescue community for her hard work.

Its amazing how I have not been able to reply to this? seems certain posts get through and not others,which is not fair at all.Blondie was able to question me but yet I am not able to respond ?? why is this.I have a right to post as others do???

This thread has been moved to the premoderated area, which means that replies will not appear until a moderator approves them. This is to calm down the discussion, but unfortunately can result in some delay in posts appearing.

Thank you xx thought I was in trouble xx

Advertisement