Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Could I trouble you, perhaps, for one other thing, though since you have obviously missed today's post, and, what with the price of postage stamps in any case, you might be in a position to place the answer here, for the enlightenment of all: who or what is WS? QUOTE]

I think Maggie means Winning Streak

Ahaaaaaaaa! Thanks a bunch: like Marty himself, we always call it The Streakers here, so it didn't even enter my head. I shall speak to myself most roundly, I assure you!

So this was all about Kathryn Thomas - her name escaped me. I thought Maggie McGaggie was talking about Katherine Jenkins, since she is very much the chanteuse du moment on MITM these days. And Miss Thomas is unlikely to be troubled by an online stalker, I should have thought, in this fair isle.

How one can be mistaken!. But even Homer nods, as the old woman said when she kissed her cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

Ahaaaaaaaa! Thanks a bunch: like Marty himself, we always call it The Streakers here, so it didn't even enter my head. I shall speak to myself most roundly, I assure you!

So this was all about Kathryn Thomas - her name escaped me. I thought Maggie McGaggie was talking about Katherine Jenkins, since she is very much the chanteuse du moment on MITM these days. And Miss Thomas is unlikely to be troubled by an online stalker, I should have thought, in this fair isle.

How one can be mistaken!. But even Homer nods, as the old woman said when she kissed her cow.

Apologies Hugo, this should be enlightening. Marty must be going through turmoil at the moment with Kathryn's succession race in full flow and him being, the boy from Portmarnock, at the centre of all talks.

"RTE star Marty Whelan has confirmed that Kathryn Thomas will be leaving Winning Streak after Christmas.
    The broadcasting veteran says producers are currently on the lookout for a presenter to step into her shoes in the New Year.
    Carlow native Kathryn had hinted that she might be stepping down from the top game show after she landed the highly sought-after role as host of RTE's new talent show The Voice.
    With the new series of Operation Transformation and the talent show taking place at the same time, Kathryn admitted that a shifting of schedules was imminent.
    Speaking to the Herald, Marty (55) said he was sad to see Kathryn go, but insisted the new presenter had yet to be chosen.
    "Of course I am sad about her leaving, change is always difficult. But the show is huge and now we have to see who the next person in line is. I couldn't possibly say who it is yet. I am part of the conversation at the moment, but I don't know just yet. I can tell you now that there has been no decision made."
    Kathryn (32) joined the game show in 2008, following in the footsteps of Laura Wood, Aidan Power, Derek Mooney and Mike Murphy.
    Although Marty remained tight-lipped on the details of Kathryn's replacement, the top presenter was happy to talk about Jedward's decision to re-enter Eurovision next year. Marty, who commentates for RTE on the annual song contest, said he truly believed the Lucan twins could win it this time around.
    "They have been so incredible for us this year, it's the best we have done at the Eurovision for years. Brian Kennedy was the last person to do so well. The guys are great and they just have something. They have been touring around Europe and that's opening lots of doors for them as well," he said.
    "The thing is, because we are a tiny island, we never know what is going to happen. We have to depend on everyone else to help us out but, fingers crossed, it will work out this year. I would love them to win."

Apologies Hugo, this should be enlightening. Marty must be going through turmoil at the moment with Kathryn's succession race in full flow and him being, the boy from Portmarnock, at the centre of all talks.

Thanks Maggie. Unless you yourself are going forward for the post, I might throw my own hat in the ring. But this, I suppose, is off-thread.

Interesting information you posted, too, on the Lucan twins; Johnny Logan himself was a two-timer, so I suppose anything's possible. (The Greeks and the Portuguese might vote for us this time; possibly, even, the Italians, all going badly! Jedward will have the MITM audience abroad behind them anyway, which should coutn for something in the final tallies, though, of course, we will be precluded for voting for our own.)

"RTE star Marty Whelan has confirmed that Kathryn Thomas will be leaving Winning Streak after Christmas.
    The broadcasting veteran says producers are currently on the lookout for a presenter to step into her shoes in the New Year.
    Carlow native Kathryn had hinted that she might be stepping down from the top game show after she landed the highly sought-after role as host of RTE's new talent show The Voice.
    With the new series of Operation Transformation and the talent show taking place at the same time, Kathryn admitted that a shifting of schedules was imminent.
    Speaking to the Herald, Marty (55) said he was sad to see Kathryn go, but insisted the new presenter had yet to be chosen.
    "Of course I am sad about her leaving, change is always difficult. But the show is huge and now we have to see who the next person in line is. I couldn't possibly say who it is yet. I am part of the conversation at the moment, but I don't know just yet. I can tell you now that there has been no decision made."
    Kathryn (32) joined the game show in 2008, following in the footsteps of Laura Wood, Aidan Power, Derek Mooney and Mike Murphy.
    Although Marty remained tight-lipped on the details of Kathryn's replacement, the top presenter was happy to talk about Jedward's decision to re-enter Eurovision next year. Marty, who commentates for RTE on the annual song contest, said he truly believed the Lucan twins could win it this time around.
    "They have been so incredible for us this year, it's the best we have done at the Eurovision for years. Brian Kennedy was the last person to do so well. The guys are great and they just have something. They have been touring around Europe and that's opening lots of doors for them as well," he said.
    "The thing is, because we are a tiny island, we never know what is going to happen. We have to depend on everyone else to help us out but, fingers crossed, it will work out this year. I would love them to win."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TacaFail

I wish people would stop slagging off Hugo. He's one of the funniest and most erudite contributors to these pages. People shouldn't take it so seriously. I have a feeling that Hugo has his tongue firmly implanted in his cheek when he's writing his humorous posts.

Your as bad as him Harry! Huge Brazen Brownnose! Get him off of here. I havn't time to go posting all day and all night and when I do they delete my posts. He's not the funniest or educated contributor that you say - he's just posting brown-nose jobs for his pals in RTE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

TacaFail wrote: »
    Your as bad as him Harry! Huge Brazen Brownnose! Get him off of here. I havn't time to go posting all day and all night and when I do they delete my posts. He's not the funniest or educated contributor that you say - he's just posting brown-nose jobs for his pals in RTE!!!

Although I completely disagree with 99% of Hugo's posts, I think he's a breath of fresh air here in the radio forum...he's winding people up no end. :D

• Advertisement

Two almost simultaneous posts of radically different character; thank you telekon for your kind and positive (and unusual) interpretation of my efforts. I sense some collective effort to undermine me or my standing on Boards may be in train in recent times, so I always appreciate anyone taking the trouble to be a gentlemen (or lady). However, I feel I myself should not be the story, but a simple contributor to the debate.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

A vacancy in RTE

Some might say there's an awful lot of vacancy in RTÉ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TacaFail

Wertz wrote: »
    Some might say there's an awful lot of vacancy in RTÉ...

I don't care a sh1t for lyric but I can't stand Whelan and Huge Brazen Brown nose and I'm going to get him put off here. I am going to get the dirt of him. He's a queer too! I found that out on boards so there's nothing they can say to me. He admitted it himself!!! Pooftown.

:D:D:D:D

I don't care a sh1t for lyric but I can't stand Whelan and Huge Brazen Brown nose and I'm going to get him put off here. I am going to get the dirt of him. He's a queer too! I found that out on boards so there's nothing they can say to me. He admitted it himself!!! Pooftown.

TacaFail's comments this evening:

"I don't care a sh1t for lyric but I can't stand Whelan and Huge Brazen Brown nose and I'm going to get him put off here. I am going to get the dirt of him. He's a queer too! I found that out on boards so there's nothing they can say to me. He admitted it himself!!! Pooftown."

Where is the line drawn here? Is everything tolerated here? I know there's a match on, but I'm managing on the iPad. I can and do take any argument at any level of intensity, but I feel that there is no place on boards for material like this. Previous negative comments have sometimes been irate or terse or annoyed, but I have seen none that plumb the depths to this extent. Except for providing vulgar abuse for the entertainment of a few, is anything served by such comment? As I say, I am perfectly content to argue long and hard with anyone, once we retain a minimal level of mutual respect; this is, I submit, starkly different.

In considerable disappointment,

Hugo Brady Brown

You've already been exposed by the mods Hugo...please stop making a fool of yourself. :(

• Advertisement

Thanks Maggie. Unless you yourself are going forward for the post, I might throw my own hat in the ring. But this, I suppose, is off-thread.

Interesting information you posted, too, on the Lucan twins; Johnny Logan himself was a two-timer, so I suppose anything's possible. (The Greeks and the Portuguese might vote for us this time; possibly, even, the Italians, all going badly! Jedward will have the MITM audience abroad behind them anyway, which should coutn for something in the final tallies, though, of course, we will be precluded for voting for our own.)

Hugo, i have looked through the MITM webpage and can find no record of Mart ever spinning a disc from the delightful duo. As Mart commentated in Germany, the whole island was gripped with Jedmania. I hope Mart rectifies this oversight in the future, alas, i fear many of the snobs who linger 'round the borders of Lyric would only howl in derision. By the way, Italy do not participate in the Eurosong Contest, which sadly could be damaging for our chances of success, as their manager avows the great esteem in which they are held in that benighted land. You are correct to point out the popularity of Jedward with the MITM crew. I would like to hear a collaboration between Vladimir and Jedward or maybe even an album by Vladimir of Jedward standards, with the added bonus of increasing their status in Slovakia, which could make all the difference come voting time in Baku.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jayzee

I just heard that gobsh*te again this morning wittering on to some bint from AA.
    I turned off Lyric in the mornings when Marty got parachuted in there by his pals in RTE - I had hoped he might have toned it down by this stage, but apparently not.
    Can't anything be done about him on Lyric?

Hugo, as much as i "enjoyed" your contributions, posting homphobic messages is way out of line,nasty and not funny. Please don't be so childish, becasue i presume you are a young man, maybe it is time you starting acting your age. Everyone on here knows Marty Whelan is unsuitable for Lyric fm, unfortunately there is little that can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

What's happened? I haven't looked in here in a couple of days and I find Hugo is banned, some lad called Tacafail is banned and some of you are calling Tacafail Hugo!
    What's goin on?
    To stay on topic, MITM is still unsuitable for Lyric. Music still unsuitable and awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What's happened? I haven't looked in here in a couple of days and I find Hugo is banned, some lad called Tacafail is banned and some of you are calling Tacafail Hugo!
    What's goin on?

+1

What happened?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

+1

Horrible accident.
    His stuffed shirt exploded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Dear All,

'WTF', as I believe the vernacular hereabouts would put it. Well, how I spluttered and had to reach for my napkin as I sat back with my post-prandial libation (a jolly splendid LBV port), to peruse the postings of todays game Boardsies, and find the drastic sanction imposed upon our esteemed HBB by the 'mods' ('Mods' ? Oh woe for the English language: the irony of its mangling in this information age).

'Say it ain't so, Joe' as our colonial cousins might drawl.
    What can have gone wrong when one is hard pressed to find a more elegant, insightful,erudite, and giving poster on this august discussion bulleting board? Deo volente, the sanction will be short and normal service will resume in the proximate future.

I apologise to to all for having to cut this post almost rudely short. But concede that I am a little overcome, and need a few moments to recover my composure and try to restore my confidence again in humanity's capacity for intelligent discourse.

Yours, in turmoil,
    Almaviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

+1

Has there been some sort of kerfuffle?? I was enjoying HBB...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Matthew 5:30 might explain this episode:
    And if your right ..(hugo).. causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell. Which is what happened above I'd say.

Now if RTE could please apply the same to Marty...

Almaviva wrote: »
    Dear All,

'WTF', as I believe the vernacular hereabouts would put it. Well, how I spluttered and had to reach for my napkin as I sat back with my post-prandial libation (a jolly splendid LBV port), to peruse the postings of todays game Boardsies, and find the drastic sanction imposed upon our esteemed HBB by the 'mods' ('Mods' ? Oh woe for the English language: the irony of its mangling in this information age).

'Say it ain't so, Joe' as our colonial cousins might drawl.
    What can have gone wrong when one is hard pressed to find a more elegant, insightful,erudite, and giving poster on this august discussion bulleting board? Deo volente, the sanction will be short and normal service will resume in the proximate future.

I apologise to to all for having to cut this post almost rudely short. But concede that I am a little overcome, and need a few moments to recover my composure and try to restore my confidence again in humanity's capacity for intelligent discourse.

Yours, in turmoil,
    Almaviva.

Et tu, Almaviva? Et tu? :confused:

• Advertisement

Nah, seriously, what the hell happened. Why was he banned? What about this TacaFail chap? Really. What the hell went on here?
    Is anyone at liberty to say?

Nah, seriously, what the hell happened. Why was he banned? What about this TacaFail chap? Really. What the hell went on here?
    Is anyone at liberty to say?

Hugo was indeed Tacafail and this was exposed by Mr. E in the tv forum, see the (now locked) thread entitled "Tubridy".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055242529

Edit: Also see the following thread in the prison forum for his hilarious attempts to get his ban overturned...hope he succeeds. I was enjoying a bit of Hugo. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056452770

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

telekon wrote: »
    Hugo was indeed Tacafail and this was exposed by Mr. E in the tv forum, see the (now locked) thread entitled "Tubridy".

Wonder are there any more accounts out there coming from that IP address?

telekon wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056452770

I can't believe I stood up for the guy! He sent me a private message thanking me for sticking up for him and then he used his alter ego to slag me off for defending him! :D

Jaysus, with Hugo being the only consistent supporter on here of Marty in the Morning and the show being a dog's dinner of dreadfulness, one would have to assume that poor oul Marty's radio career is on the slide big style.
    He's a minority interest on a minority interest station.

**** me, this whole Hugo/Tacafail thing has been most disturbing. That fella's probably not well.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

A well adjusted Marty fan would be, IMO, an oxymoron

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

johnnyk66 wrote: »
    A well adjusted Marty fan would be, IMO, an oxymoron
    I suppose the mental health of MITM listeners is a valid 'on topic' discussion point. Hugo gave us an important clue to his background a little while ago.
    I am happy to relieve readers of some doubts that may have been raised in their minds. “Almaviva”, “Doomed”, “TimmyTarmac” and others can rest assured that, contrary to any concerns expressed, I have no issues or interests in this matter. And my name, which I believe it is proper to append openly to anything I put into the public domain, is not entirely an uncommon one. Indeed, I would discountenance the placing of any matter into the public domain under assumed names, believing it to diminish the sense of restraint that behoves people in this activity.

<snip>

Further sustenance for this view is clear to anyone who has spent time in any institutional setting where radio choices have to be made on a common denominator basis. In nursing homes, hospital wards, care institutions, psychiatric institutes, places of detention and so forth on any morning of the week, people will be found enjoying Marty in the Morning, when no other programme would command their acquiescence as a group.

Hugo Brady Brown

I was a little perturbed at this possible revelation. My comment at the time, I hope reflected my concern for his well being.

doomed wrote: »
    Wonder are there any more accounts out there coming from that IP address?

I'm sure there are many homes where a number of different people work off the same line. What if Hugo had an evil twin who discovered that Hugo was posting online here? Well, the obvious thing to do would be to try and wreck Hugo's career on boards. It is possible. Hugo, if you are out there i hope you are enjoying Mart as much as ever(I am listening at the moment, he is playing Johnny Mercer "Come rain or come shine") and that this experience hasnt soured it. May you remain steadfast in your defence of Mart.

The biggest loser here is Marty Whelan. This Hugo incident is like saying that you have to be mentally deranged to actually like Marty's show.

Seriously tho, Hugo was the finest WUM in years. Hope he manages to come back somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I have a strange feeling that Hugo is still among us. Not naming any names but take a look a some of the users in the Marty thread. One or two of them have a writing style uncannily similar to Hugo's........

My heart was raised a bit until I read this. Then I read this and it looks like I have to add a second name to my ignore list in order to avoid this guy's OCD spamming of this thread.

Anywaaaaaay, I still miss the peace, calm and education in a few words which Lyric FM used to provide in the morning on the way to work.

I did a search and a man named Aodán Ó Dubhghaill is head of Lyric FM, and has been so since 2002. Overall I think most of us will agree he has done a superb job. This is the exception and I suspect that management elsewhere in RTÉ prevailed upon him to give this infuriatingly talkative and inappropriate presenter a job.

We can contact him with our comments on this show at this email address.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement