Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone on here Bought the Playstation 3 Jailbreak

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Then what is the point in this thread?

The point of this thread is not to discuss piracy & theft, like every other thread on the fourm. You should know this by now, especially considering your previous ban.

The exploit is seperate to the backup manager, I very much doubt it's illegal to use the exploit on its own. In Ireland it's still illegal to back up your own games partyatmygaff, as by doing so, your circumventing the content protection that's in place on the disc.

Back on topic, has anyone sourced the micro-controllers online? I know Cisk said he was planning a diy pcb, be an interesting project.

There does seem to have been major advances in the Modding of the PSP to be used for the Jailbreak.

There does seem to have been major advances in the Modding of the PSP to be used for the Jailbreak.

Is it not still in the proof-of-concept phase? Last I heard it was successful in emulating a 6-port usb hub, but no payload delivery or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/

If it's not allowed, I'll remove it, but fairly sure you said the exploit itself isn't illegal.

This thread is getting seriously off-topic lads, can we keep it from now on to any of us that have purchased a usb controller or anything to deliver the exploit.

Use the other jailbreak thread for speculation/discussion on it. Cheers :)

• Advertisement

I'm contemplating getting one of the clones.

I got this email off of the x3 team today:
    Hello,

x3jailbreak Team is now taking pre-orders which will start shipping by the end of next week (Sept 10th-13th).
    Feel free to your pre-orders today.

Our goal at x3jailbreak was to provide you as customers a powerful, quality and low cost solution.
    Even with recent events you will still be able to out price any other device available including new homebrew devices suggested online.

Your customers will be getting a quality dongle that is completely functioning and ready to use as soon as it arrives.

1) Larger case for ease of use and less change of misplacing or losing your dongle.
    2) More Powerful (competition using 8 bit processor compared to x3 is using a 32 bit
    operating processor)
    3) Hardware USB compared to where PSJ is software emulated
    4) As updates become available x3jailbreak is easily upgradable.
    5) Expansion ports for upcoming features/add-on

Your X3 and your customer's X3 with have a serial number to use online to verify proof that your x3jailbreak is authentic
    and also you will be able to use your serial number to access the download area when new updates become available.

x3jailbreak pre-orders will begin shipping on Sept 10th for the orders placed on a first come first server basis and samples
    will be shipping Sept 3rd-6th for those 100 that have been selected.

100 pcs > 27 USD
    200 pcs > 26 USD
    500 pcs > 25 USD
    1000 pcs > 22 USD
    2000 pcs > 20 USD
    5000 pcs > Please inquire

Seems "interesting", I guess I'll be purchasing from a distributor. They're obviously based in the US too.

I've also been in contact with the PS3Key team about purchases and they seem far more lenient with the amount of sales as you're able to purchase as many as 10 rather than the 100, they're selling them for about 30-35 euro if you buy in this and seem to be based in England and are ready to ship on the 10th. They've also got exceptional response times. Fair play to them, I'd be far more inclined to work with them than the x3 team, although I've yet to see any samples thought, while the x3 team have shown samples.

Their "selling" features are not accurate at all, don't be too quick to buy into things like this.

1) Larger case for ease of use and less change of misplacing or losing your dongle. (Why would you want something bigger than whats needed, a standard thumb drive sized device is perfect)
    2) More Powerful (competition using 8 bit processor compared to x3 is using a 32 bit operating processor (and the advantage is? the device only delivers 7KB of code, the PS3 itself does the rest)
    3) Hardware USB compared to where PSJ is software emulated (PSJ is NOT software only. Why not use a thumb drive if so? Where they got this comment from beggars belief)
    4) As updates become available x3jailbreak is easily upgradable. (As with every other device capable of the exploit)
    5) Expansion ports for upcoming features/add-on (expansion for what purpose? Once the exploit is delivered, then the device has done it's job. The rest is up to coders/devs to make apps)

The grammar is also terrible for a US based operation. And before you part with cash, Sony America has filed for a sales injunction over there too, expect them to win. All the ozmodchips customers have been refunded, backing up their good name. I expect some vendors to be more greedy.

Which is why I'd be more inclined to buy from PS3Key. Many have said that x3 is sony in disguise, I think people should go to the conspiracy section if they're that idiotic though.

PS3Key Feature List

* USB Plug and Play solution that installs in seconds without any need to open up the PS3. (None of the explits need you to open the console)
    * Does not break your warranty seal. (Nothing new)
    * Compatible with all PS3 models, both Fat and Slim. (Nothing new)
    * Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA. (Nothing new)
    * USB device fully updatable by PC. (As with any of the devices)
    * Disables forced software updates and will never brick your console. (I HIGHLY doubt this one, there is no code even hinted at which does this)
    * Supports most games and homebrew applications. (Nothing new)
    * Easy-to-use software for backing up, managing, and playing games from external USB Hard Drive. (*)
    * Playing games from HDD is much more enjoyable, benefiting from greatly enhanced seek and loading times. (no Kidding, hardly an exclusive selling feature though)
    * Supports installing homebrew application on PS3 and external USB media. (Nothing new)
    * Optionally PS3Key can be supplied with an "open" firmware which does not support backup loading. Users would then have to download a firmware update for PS3Key to get full functionality. (So you have to log into your account with them, to get the pirating software)

I don't mean to bash what your saying I really don't, but there's absoloutely no incentive there for me to buy one of them. It's 50 dollars + shipping, probabaly work out about twice the price of a usb dev board once they are back in supply, and seeing as this is still a few weeks away, the dev boards should be fairly "gettable" by then.

That's not to mention all the free ports that are being worked on. I have to admit, I find the selling or pre-made "piracy in a box" type things a bit annoying to say the least.

Regards the comment I marked with *, if they are referring to PS3 games, this will never see the light of day.

Remember the major breakthrough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

docentore wrote: »
    In half years time those will be 20e each. Its just pic chip with some program on it

actually some folks made them even cheaper, jsut few weeks after the hack was out. They're going to sell the board for 5$, I would say you need to get the chip yourself.

Also someone is working on PIC chip port, which will make it even easier and cheaper.

Time to get PS3 now :D

Time to become an entrepreneur.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Has anyone got PSGroove working via the iPhone\Nexus One??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

madmoe wrote: »
    Has anyone got PSGroove working via the iPhone\Nexus One??

Aye I did it with my HTC Desire, works perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye I did it with my HTC Desire, works perfect.

Cool....and dare I say the backup manager.....

madmoe wrote: »
    Cool....and are I say the backup manager.....

Lads, I'm feeling like a mixture of the big bad wolf & a parrot, from modding the two jailbreak threads. We can't discuss that programme, it's uses, who has it, what it does, what it can't do. It was made using an illegally gotten SDK, and it's primary function is to defeat disc based content protection in conjunction with a patched LV2.

I really don't want to keep re-itterating this, because me jumping in like this deraills a thread, & breaks the natural flow of discussion. I have to ensure the charter is not violated, as it's that charter that protects boards.ie, and anyone posting in this forum.

Madmoe, this isn't directed at you, more a general observation on my part. So apologies to you all if it seems like I'm over-modding here, but understand that in a forum like this, piracy discussion tends to crop up more than your average forum. I have to keep on top of it.

Cheers lads

Advertisement