Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Big Books!

Options
  • 26-08-2010 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for suggestion for fact or fiction books that are BIG! Preferably 1,000 pages ish. I love getting into a good book but find they finish all to soon. I'd love to hear about series of books too, where the story contuines.
    I have an ereader so all suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fr Clint Power

The Quincunx by Charles Palliser could be just the thing to keep you going for a few weeks.

It is a big book (approx. 1200 pages), and should keep you entertained even after finishing it as it can be interpreted in many ways so you may find yourself reading some sections again.

From wikipedia

"The Quincunx (The inheritance of John Huffam) is the epic first novel of Charles Palliser. It takes the form of a Dickensian mystery set in early 19th century England, but Palliser has added the modern attributes of an unreliable narrator and an inconclusive ending. So, beyond a straightforward reading, the book offers the puzzle of extracting alternative underlying explanations of events.

The book charts the fortunes over a number of years of a single mother and her young son, John Huffam, through the eyes of the latter. There is a complex web of scheming and conspiracies between five families - The Huffams, The Mompessons, The Clothiers, The Palphramonds and The Maliphants - as they circle and maneuver around a fortune being determined in Chancery, and several wills (and one codicil) competing to be found valid. John and his mother fall from comparative wealth to poverty and eventual destitution before the prospect of his inheritance offers a change of fortune."

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭randomguy

You'll find some good ideas here

and here

Advertisement