Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend A "Long" Book!!

Options
  • 06-02-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

I am going on few long overland trips this year and want to bring 1/2 books with me. I will be spending stints of 3-4 days at a time on trains/boats so need something that I won't finish in a day!
    I brought Crime and Punishment and LOTR Trilogy last time and they only lasted 1/2 weeks.

So anyone got any suggestions? War and Peace and Count of Monte Cristo spring to mind but any others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

Don Quixote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
    its abit hard to get into but i loved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

oh yeah, Proust's En Recherche du Temps Perdu (spelling?).

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

A suitable boy - Vikram Seth
    War and Peace or Anna Karenina.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Sheridan

If you enjoyed Crime & Punishment, Dostoevsky's "The Idiot" should be right up your street. Similar themes and treatment but a whole lot longer...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Q by Luther Blissett , excellent novel set during the reformation. Quite long.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Focaults Pendulum - tough to get into but well worth perseverence. A chunky book (smaller than LoTR) , well written and a really good story with tons of detail.

Cryptonomicon by neal stephenson: if you're in any way techy or if you like ww2 then you'll like this (math heads will like it too).

you could start on the baroque cycle by stephenson then. each book is about 3/4 the length of the cryptonomicon but is harder (slower) reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭slinky

Strumpet City - James Plunkett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

malazan book of the fallen series by steven erikson. Each book is about 1000 pages. They're good too. (fantasy)

Dune by Frank Herbert (sci fi/fantasy)

Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Traders trilogy, tawny man trilogy by Robin Hobb. Each book is about 1000 pages again. (fantasy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Count of Monte Cristo is a very good read!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

pwd wrote: »
    malazan book of the fallen series by steven erikson. Each book is about 1000 pages. They're good too. (fantasy)

Dune by Frank Herbert (sci fi/fantasy)

Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Traders trilogy, tawny man trilogy by Robin Hobb. Each book is about 1000 pages again. (fantasy)

hmmmm, Dune, fair enough. its a nice long read. malazan, I read these books on the bus during my morning / evening commute , 3 hours per day and the book lasts me 5 days - at an easy pace , so thats 15 hours. Not what I would term a long read. and judging from the OPs comments on C&P and LotR he's either got a lot of time on his hands or is a much faster reader than me.

Same for the farseer/liveship/tawny man books. in fact I find Hobb's writing style very easy to read and on first pass read through the assassain trilogy at a rate of 1 book per day. The latest soldier trilogy were even quicker.

I think the OP is more concerend with having to carry as few books as possible while still having a lot to take in. generally, the more thought provoking a book the longer it takes to read as the reader stops to digest bits before continuing on.

I would like to suggest that you bring all four dan browne books with you. force yourself to read through every single page (deception point being the most challenging for this) and then when you finish each novel, write out every fault you can find with it and any way in which you think the touch of a 3 year old would improve upon the plot/details/character development. the reading will fly past - but will *feel* like years - and the writing will last you several journeys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

So it's thought provocation rather than sheer wordcount huh? The Glass Bead Game or Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse, or any of his later novels really.
    A collection of essays by orwell.

Another good long book in the wordcount sense is Papillion by Henri Cherrie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

biZrb wrote: »
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

The Fountainhead by the same author is another good long read.

John Updike's quadrilogy (tetralogy according to wiki:confused:) Rabbit Angstrom: The Four Novels will keep you going for a while.
    http://www.amazon.com/Rabbit-Angstrom-Novels-Everymans-Library/dp/0679444599/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202392468&sr=8-1

After that you might like to tackle Beckett's trilogy - Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable.
    http://www.amazon.com/Molloy-Malone-Unnamable-Everymans-Library/dp/0375400702/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202392672&sr=1-1

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Okay if you're not just looking for old classics you could try "Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrel" by Susanna Clarke. It's written in the style of Dickens and set in the 1800's.

A very enjoyable and different mythological/fantasy read set in the real world. Worth a look, I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson. Now published in a single volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Thanks for all responses so far, some really good suggestions there so keep them coming!

LoLth wrote: »

I think the OP is more concerend with having to carry as few books as possible while still having a lot to take in. generally, the more thought provoking a book the longer it takes to read as the reader stops to digest bits before continuing on.

Exactly! I am travelling overland (and Irish sea of course) from Dublin to Bhutan and from there to NZ etc so going to have a lot of time on my hands. Given that we have to carry backpacks for duration we will bring a maximum of 2/3 books between us. I suppose a good question is, if you had to bring 2 books for trip like this, what would you choose?
    LoLth wrote: »
    I would like to suggest that you bring all four dan browne books with you. force yourself to read through every single page (deception point being the most challenging for this) and then when you finish each novel, write out every fault you can find with it and any way in which you think the touch of a 3 year old would improve upon the plot/details/character development. the reading will fly past - but will *feel* like years - and the writing will last you several journeys!

:) Excellent!! And I'll always have copious amounts of toilet paper at hand if needed too! Read in a Sunday paper that he has "writers block" with his new novel about the Stonemasons, I thought to myself shouldn't that just be "block".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ulysses as it's:
    a) long
    b) very, very good
    c) heavy going so you won't just rip through it

When I was backpacking around Poland I did about 20 hours on trains and only managed about half of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

If you plan on reading Ulysses find the pages where the chapters divide and it shouldn't be too much of a bother. Reading it through as a single story gets confusing, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

"The stand" is a great book weighing in at over 15oo pages:).

The illumantis trilogy as mentioned before as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

If you like sci-fi then Peter F Hamilton is your man, the Nights Dawn trliogy is good and very long with each book over 1000 pages long.

Should keep you going for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The Little Friend by Donna Tart. Brilliant book and very readable even though its pretty long, around 1050 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

The fountainhead +1.
    I'd also recommend Magician if you're into fantasy. (Raymond E Feist)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Surprised nobody has mentioned "Shantaram", yet. (See thread here).

Definitely a voluminous book, and has a genuine travel/adventure theme.

And it's f*cking brilliant too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

buck65 wrote: »
    A suitable boy - Vikram Seth
    War and Peace or Anna Karenina.

+1 for the Russians.

Or Crime and Punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Most of Solzhenitsyn it quite long. And if not long, then heavy...Brothers Kamarazov by Dostoevsky....haven't actually finished that one yet.

Also, Les Miserables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Mainstay

Any Thomas Pynchon Novel would do.

Most of them are quite long and all of them are quite dense and take a lot of attention to read.

Otherwise Underworld by Don Del Lillo weighs in around 800 pages and is an excellent read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

Some long-ish books I've enjoyed are:

Vanity Fair - Thackeray's rumbustious novel of society and scandal in Napoleonic era England - 800 pages, but a proper page turner.

Tristram Shandy (Sterne) - a meandering account of the life of the eponymous hero, full of jokes and tangents, and quite bonkers. The longest shaggy dog story committed to print - about 600 pages.

Collected Fictions (Borges) - a treasury of paradoxical, apocryphal and fantastical tales and musings - about 500 pages, but when done, you can start again at the beginning.

I'd throw in Hunter S. Thompson's 'Great Shark Hunt' - stranger than fiction, substance-inspired commentary on 60's & 70's America - but, though it's a 600-pager, you can blast through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

If you are looking for contemporary, engaging, and very well written, I would highly recommend:

Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace

The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen

If I was in your situation, I would bring these and a collection of short stories. (Roald Dahl's are great.) Last year, whenever I travelled I brought two books: a novel and Donald Barthelme's "Sixty Stories".
    Good short stories are wonderful in their own right, but also great if someone needs a break from what they are reading, or if they are finished a novel and waiting for the other person to finish their book so that they can swap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

The fountainhead +1.

Bought this in Rathmines bookshop this afternoon (for €0.99!), now I just need to resist the temptation to start reading it!

Advertisement