Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One book only for 6 week trip

Options
  • 07-10-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I am going off to Africa for six weeks, I'm not going to have access to any books whatsoever. I read quite fast and will have plenty of time. I can only really bring one book, so I need something that will last me! I'm looking for a big long fiction book that is also a good read and will entertain me. I really wish I hadn't already read Shantaram! If anyone could suggest something that they think might suit that would be great. A friend suggested Moby Dick, any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy. It's a very big book and damn well entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Your friend is onto something with Moby-Dick. I'd also suggest Don Quixote. It's boring in spots, admittedly, but it's one of the world's great books, and you'll be glad you've read it.

Have you looked at any of those cheapo Collected Novels? I think you can get all of Jane Austen in one chunky volume, and you'd be hard pushed to do better than that. It also gives you the appeal of starting a whole new book every week or so.

It might also be a good time to crack Ulysses, or Gravity's Rainbow, or the Complete Shakespeare....

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭randomguy

You'd need something a bit lighter than some of the above recommendations, if you are thinking along the lines of Shantaram. If so, avoid Moby Dick, Gravity's Rainbow and Don Quixote.

How about Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry? Brilliant book, read it while travelling, loved it, passed it on to my then girlfriend, she loved it, and both of us agreed it was the perfect travel book. Epic, but really easy to read and really funny. Don't be put off by the fact that it's a Western - it won the Pulitzer in its day and is seriously smarter than you'd expect.

Other suggestions - if you want something modern and literary, how about Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace?

Something longish and Africanish? The Poisonwood Diary by Barbara Kingsolver. (The Famished Road by Ben Okri is another idea, but maybe a bad one since it just seems long rather than being long.)

Another one - Almost as good as Lonesome Dove - A Suitable Boy.

• Advertisement

Also thinking Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.
    Or War and Peace, if you skip the "philosophy of history" crap between each section.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

John Updikes four books in the Rabbit series are available in one volume.

EDIT: Another link.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

You can get the entire George Orwell collection for 30 quid, all of his published novels. Fantastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭qt9ukbg60ivjrn

War and Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Second for "A Suitable Boy".
    Am reading 2666 at the moment - quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

The Count of Monte Cristo - its long but a great story that keeps you interested all the way through

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

"The Redemption of Althalus" By David and Leigh Eddings is a very good fantasy book,its over a 1000 to I think if I remember correctly,dunno would it last you 6 wks though especially if you read fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

First post - felt compelled to recommend some favourites!

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (Susanna Clarke) - An amazing novel which centres on two magicians in 19th century Britain. You don't have to be a big fan of the fantasy genre to enjoy this, it is like a Dickens story at times. One of my all time favourites.

His Dark Materials Trilogy (Phillip Pullman) - More magic. This is an epic coming-of-age tale of two children, Lyra and Will, set in alternate universes. Recently voted third best book of all time in the BBC Big Read poll. Makes Harry Potter look like Sesame Street!

The Stand (Stephen King) - Apocalyptic tale of good and evil from the master storyteller. Would also recommend It, you will never see clowns in the same light again.

Homicide (David Simon) - Non-fiction. A reporter spends a year shadowing the Baltimore Homicide department. It will make your jaw drop in shock one minute and have you cry laughing the next. If you like The Wire you'll love this.

All are doorstop-sized books that I wished would never end:D

First post - felt compelled to recommend some favourites!

Homicide (David Simon) - Non-fiction. A reporter spends a year shadowing the Baltimore Homicide department. It will make your jaw drop in shock one minute and have you cry laughing the next. If you like The Wire you'll love this.

Good recommendation - read this on holiday and really enjoyed it - don't be put off by the crime or true story labels. Really well written too.

But I thought Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell was complete crap. I couldn't see the point of it at all.

There are more ideas here in an earlier thread for long books for travelling...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055232237

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

• The entire Lord of the Rings in one book
    • Ulysses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alfranken

Get James Ellroys Dudley Smith Trio (The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential and White Jazz), amazing books

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

alfranken wrote: »
    Get James Ellroys Dudley Smith Trio (The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential and White Jazz), amazing books

A great recommendation.

One point to watch out for, though. They are not so much a trilogy as the last three books of a quartet. You really need to have read the Black Dahlia to get full enjoyment out of it. But that's also a brilliant book, so you can't lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alfranken

A great recommendation.

One point to watch out for, though. They are not so much a trilogy as the last three books of a quartet. You really need to have read the Black Dahlia to get full enjoyment out of it. But that's also a brilliant book, so you can't lose.

I think The Black Dahlia can be read seperate and those three together on their own make a great saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Stephen King's 'It' is long..I haven't read it but it's meant to be good. You could bring a couple of his 'Dark Tower' series with you either, they're great reads. More suitable I'd imagine for a woman these two 'Gone With The Wind' and 'The Thornbirds'. My sister read 'Strumpet City' said it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Get a Sony reader. One book, lots of stories!! Or buy loads of audio books and put them on an MP3 player. Or get the classic novels cartridge for the DS (if you have one) - even if you don't really like some of the novels involved, there's lots in one cartridge, and you can get spare batteries.

One book for 6 weeks? Sounds like an impossible challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Im a second for the Lord Of The Rings. The Count of Monte Cristo is supposed to be good, I havent gotten around to reading it yet though. I loved the Three musketteers though.
    I would say if you could get The Jane Austen novels in one volume that would be good, because they are all very different in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

SarahBM wrote: »
    Im a second for the Lord Of The Rings. The Count of Monte Cristo is supposed to be good, I havent gotten around to reading it yet though. I loved the Three musketteers though.
    I would say if you could get The Jane Austen novels in one volume that would be good, because they are all very different in my opinion.

Oh the Count of Monte Christo is excellent!

I liked Les Miserables too, and that's fairly long.

I would go for LOTR, A suitable boy, The Stand, or maybe Pillars of the earth.

I do think it's almost an impossible challenge though...if I was you I would really consider one of those electronic readers...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Get a Sony reader. One book, lots of stories!! Or buy loads of audio books and put them on an MP3 player. Or get the classic novels cartridge for the DS (if you have one) - even if you don't really like some of the novels involved, there's lots in one cartridge, and you can get spare batteries.

One book for 6 weeks? Sounds like an impossible challenge.

what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fr Clint Power

The Quincunx by Charles Palliser could be just the thing to keep you going for a few weeks.

It is a big book (approx. 1200 pages), and should keep you entertained even after finishing it as it can be interpreted in many ways so you may find yourself reading some sections again.

From wikipedia

"The Quincunx (The inheritance of John Huffam) is the epic first novel of Charles Palliser. It takes the form of a Dickensian mystery set in early 19th century England, but Palliser has added the modern attributes of an unreliable narrator and an inconclusive ending. So, beyond a straightforward reading, the book offers the puzzle of extracting alternative underlying explanations of events.

The book charts the fortunes over a number of years of a single mother and her young son, John Huffam, through the eyes of the latter. There is a complex web of scheming and conspiracies between five families - The Huffams, The Mompessons, The Clothiers, The Palphramonds and The Maliphants - as they circle and maneuver around a fortune being determined in Chancery, and several wills (and one codicil) competing to be found valid. John and his mother fall from comparative wealth to poverty and eventual destitution before the prospect of his inheritance offers a change of fortune."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Cyrus wrote: »
    what he said

He's a she...

I have to say, none of those novels would come close to lasting 6 weeks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

It definitely won't last six weeks, but East of Eden by John Steinbeck is an excellent read. Its a fairly large book, but not six-weeks-of-reading large :p

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

You can get the entire George Orwell collection for 30 quid, all of his published novels. Fantastic stuff.

Excellent suggestion.
    See also Anna Karenin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

The Bible, you could easily get six weeks out of that. I read it once from cover to cover while out of work, it took me four weeks and if your not a holy joe it can be very entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You could:
    - bring a few paper-backs and give them away along the way.
    - I suspect you might have a few opportunities to swop; meeting ex-pats, book-shelves in hotels\hostels.
    - consider bringing a poetry compilation

Suggestion: Cloud Atlas, David Mitchell. Compilation of travelogues - e.g. Granta publications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Sho-gun - James Clavell
    or
    Noble House - James clavell.

Amazing books.

Advertisement