Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why so passionate?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

And I do understand what hypocrisy means, thanks very much, and yes I do think people on this board are hypocritical talking about a la carte , (catholics who pick and choose which parts of the religion to take in) when there are atheists who pick and choose which parts of social religious norms to take in because they are the 'easy, good' parts of religion.

Do what you want, let the a la carte Catholics do what they want. You are not altogether different. Don't be so righteous.

I have to ask now, because I'm really curious... just what exactly do you mean by "social religious nroms"?
    Are you seriously only talking about bank holidays, and attending religious ceremonies to please friends who asked for it? Or are there even worse hypocrices committed day by day by righteous atheists?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Shenshen wrote: »
    I have to ask now, because I'm really curious... just what exactly do you mean by "social religious nroms"?
    Are you seriously only talking about bank holidays, and attending religious ceremonies to please friends who asked for it? Or are there even worse hypocrices committed day by day by righteous atheists?

I have snuck into mass (with a hat to hide my horns) and taken communion rather that buying myself Sunday lunch. Does this count?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

We sometimes on the spur of the moment say things like, "Jesus Christ" or "Good Lord!". A la carte by means of language so to speak...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I wonder if some muslims are allah carte?

Sorry, I'll get me coat :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I wonder if some muslims are allah carte?

Sorry, I'll get me coat :o

Nice...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Galvasean wrote: »
    We sometimes on the spur of the moment say things like, "Jesus Christ" or "Good Lord!". A la carte by means of language so to speak...

I do think that's mostly down to a lack of alternatives in the English language, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Dades wrote: »
    All theists are a la carte, anyway.

They pick and choose what deities to believe in. :pac:
    I think they just get a child's portion of what mummy and daddy are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I do think that's mostly down to a lack of alternatives in the English language, though...

Or because people look at you funny when you exclaim "by Thor's hammer!"

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

krudler wrote: »
    Or because people look at you funny when you exclaim "by Thor's hammer!"

"Great Odin's Raven!" "By the beard of Zeus!"

I love Anchor Man.

I love desk. I love lamp... I love lamp. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 awja

I was wondering why atheists and agnostics on boards and in the public eye are so passionate about a non-belief? (or is it a belief in itself)
    Surely if you believe there is no God then you must be quite calm about the matter, however in any debate I ever read I feel like they are attacking and rather cross?

Is it because of the damage religion has done in the world that you feel its your duty to change people's mind about religion and God (or Gods)?

Do you feel that any believers are stupid and all stupid people must learn of how stupid they are?

I would think that if religion doesnt affect you in any big way in life surely you dont care but I get the feeling you do care... a lot.

It's simple really. Take a walk down Grafton Street. Count how many nutjobs you see handing out fliers for $belief. Now just imagine a world where all those people were in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"Great Odin's Raven!" "By the beard of Zeus!"

I love Anchor Man.

I love desk. I love lamp... I love lamp. :pac:

I love replacing "god" with other gods names when exclaiming stuff just to watch peoples reactions "with the grace of Apollo" " in the name of Hades what are you doing" lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Science Christ!

Advertisement