Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your desktop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

eeePC 1000, new install of Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook edition. This is the new Mutter-based UI, which I'm still trying to figure out. I'm hoping the final version is snappier than this.
    Desktop1010.png

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

126894.png

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Here's mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

iPwnage,

What distro is that you are using...I have never seen a computer to look so cool. I am very tempted to get this.

Keep in mind, i'm a complete newb to linux but this just looks amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I need IE and Photoshop for work so:

5062112374_9ee6697d89_z.jpg

Also running Docky though he's hiding there...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Debian with Openbox.

o0vzwh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

My latest:

131225.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

nellocono wrote: »
    iPwnage,

What distro is that you are using...I have never seen a computer to look so cool. I am very tempted to get this.

Keep in mind, i'm a complete newb to linux but this just looks amazing
    sorry just saw your post now, yes impresses most linux n00bs, first step in getting peeps to make the jump from windows !!
    ubuntu 10.10...well 10.04 in the video

just install [URL="apt:fusion-icon"]compiz[/URL] then [URL="apt:compiz-fusion-plugins-extra"]compiz extra plugins[/URL] and play around for the different effects, rotate the desktop cube by holding mouse wheel button
    enable desktop effects via right click your desktop and visual effects tabs
    and besure your graphics driver has been activated :D
    enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

iPwnage wrote: »
    sorry just saw your post now, yes impresses most linux n00bs, first step in getting peeps to make the jump from windows !!
    ubuntu 10.10...well 10.04 in the video

just install [URL="apt:fusion-icon"]compiz[/URL] then [URL="apt:compiz-fusion-plugins-extra"]compiz extra plugins[/URL] and play around for the different effects, rotate the desktop cube by holding mouse wheel button
    enable desktop effects via right click your desktop and visual effects tabs
    and besure your graphics driver has been activated :D
    enjoy

Hi iPwnage, after installing the effects above how do you activate them or get them to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

My desktop (Arch/Gnome), how boring is my conky, I haven't customised the appearance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

AntiRip wrote: »
    Hi iPwnage, after installing the effects above how do you activate them or get them to work?
    ok for the first step make sure you have effects enables, right click empty desktop area and select, change desktop background, in the next screen select visual effects tab and select Extra !

next is set up animations : go to applications>system tools> compiz fusion icon

youll see it running top right of your panel, right click it and go to settings manager

select the Desktop Category on the left, the important ones here for my setup are desktop cube and rotate cube, so select those, and others if you want, wall will automatically be disabled due to conflict, thats fine

now the effect category: i have selected 3d windows, animations, animations addons, fading windows, window decor and wobbly windows

now to set event animations, go to animations: click the magic lamp
    open animation>edit>random>duration 103
    close animation>edit>airplane>duration 279
    minimize animation> edit>burn>duration>103
    shade>random>102
    focus>dodge>403

thats it, should give you some sweet eye candy
    to rotate the cube, hold the wheel of the mouse while in an empty space on the desktop
    there are 100's of animations i havent shown, you can set your own shortcuts for them, check out youtube !!

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Thanks iPwnage ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 the_real_dave

My most recent LUbuntu 10.10 screenshot. You can see loads of screenshots of my various systems here on my blog.

moving_swiftly_on-19-oct-2010.png?w=300&h=225

Click for bigger in case that wasn't obvious...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

LMDE with some nice eye candy from LM Julia.

LMDE.png

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭grateface

Ubuntu 10.10
    with elegant-gnome theme

143nvnq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

I never change wallpapers.

213919.png

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭human 19

Good old KDE... attached

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭human 19

Enlightenment via Hybryde distro