Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your desktop

Options
  • 25-08-2010 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

So, time for a post your desktop thread:)

Pics please...

Mine is very bare, but I prefer simplicity.

I will start - http://j.imagehost.org/view/0951/image

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Can't sleep, so here is a better shot of my questionably fugly desktop:pac:

***cough***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Attached mine, pretty much standard KDE, the desktop that Chromium is on has nothing on it since I tend to run everything full-screen :P.
    One on the left is a TV hooked up as second monitor (great for watching Films).

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Attached mine, pretty much standard KDE, the desktop that Chromium is on has nothing on it since I tend to run everything full-screen :P.
    One on the left is a TV hooked up as second monitor (great for watching Films).

Your fonts are horrible! It's really hard to get good fonts no matter the distribution in my opinion. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

My desktop :)

Uw5u7l.png

I writing a little c utility for uploading to imgur, the code's here if anyone wants it. Started working on it last night so it's still missing a ton of features.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

mine:

Sheeps wrote: »
    mine:

What IRC client are you using sheeps? Does not look like mirc to me. OpenTDD :D Good game, but the 32bit texture pack mod has missing textures. Pretty similar to the original.

Tillotson wrote: »
    My desktop :)

Uw5u7l.png

I writing a little c utility for uploading to imgur, the code's here if anyone wants it. Started working on it last night so it's still missing a ton of features.

Let me guess, you aren't a fan of Xorg? :P Nice code by the way. Nice and modular. You should GPL it when you are done.

Naikon wrote: »
    What IRC client are you using sheeps? Does not look like mirc to me. OpenTDD :D Good game, but the 32bit texture pack mod has missing textures. Pretty similar to the original.

its pidgin

Mathiasb wrote: »
    Your fonts are horrible! It's really hard to get good fonts no matter the distribution in my opinion. :(

Hmmm? What fonts do you use?

I've never really had a problem with fonts for anything but terminal apps (and I like the default in Konsole).

• Advertisement

Hmmm? What fonts do you use?

I've never really had a problem with fonts for anything but terminal apps (and I like the default in Konsole).

Bitstream Vera Sans Mono ftw! It's my default font for xterm.

Bitstream Vera Sans Mono ftw! It's my default font for xterm.

Indeed :P, though I've never managed to get anything equivalent to the "Smooth Fonts" setting in Konsole when I used it in xterm, anti-aliasing is an improvement but still can't compare.

Busy:

2mdf5s1_th.jpg

Clean:

24eubfm_th.png

Yeah I know, I can't be arsed enough to find a decent wallpaper and gtk theme... :rolleyes:

whats that desktop environment mathiasb?

Sheeps wrote: »
    whats that desktop environment mathiasb?

It's standard gnome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

OpenTDD :D Good game.

Wrong. OpenTTD is a great game! :p

I'm still on the 8 bit graphics though. Is there any easy way to install the 32bit ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Attached. Bog standard KDE with some desktop effects.

ethernet wrote: »
    Attached. Bog standard KDE with some desktop effects.

Very fancy indeed. The Cube/compiz always impresses people:pac: I am still using Arch, but I am now also dualbooting with 64 bit Debian squeeze(gnome).
    I like both these distros. I have not tried OpenSuSE. For Shame. Here is my other desktop:

link

I am very tempted to give KDE another go mind you...

Wrong. OpenTTD is a great game! :p

I'm still on the 8 bit graphics though. Is there any easy way to install the 32bit ones?

I stand corrected:D

Don't bother with the 32 textures for now/want to help improve. There are still some missing textures which looks out of place on a typical map, and the
    instructions for installation are NOT that clear. I just dumped the extracted tarballs in ~/.openttd, but it's not a simple 5 second job. The game does feel
    a bit "laggier" with 32bpp textures.

tl;dr: Not now Eliot. Someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Here is my desktop. Gnome Zuki theme with those wonderful Faenza icons.

Click to embiggen:

22DC1l.jpg

I did a how-to some time ago on how to compile for the OpenTTD 32-bpp extra zoom graphics.

Link: http://faolchu.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/how-to-compile-openttd-in-ubuntu-to-get-the-nice-new-32bit-graphics/

Some of the links might be a little outdated now but it will probably still help to figure out how to do it.

Basically you get the source, apply the Extra Zoom patch and compile. Then get the graphics set and edit the game config file.

• Advertisement

I've been inspired to try out some new things tonight. I've installed a dock for the first time (AWN). My attempt to install Zuki failed miserably, but I still downloaded the wallpaper!

attachment.php?attachmentid=125787&stc=1&d=1283029026

Bigger version.
    tl;dr: Not now Eliot. Someday.
    loldog wrote: »
    I did a how-to some time ago on how to compile for the OpenTTD 32-bpp extra zoom graphics.

Cheers for that! Next time I go through an OpenTTD phase (usually during exam and study time) I might give it a go.

I think it'd be cool if you could have the AWN permanently above the Gnome panel, so that you could move the top panel down to the bottom and free up 24 pixels of the desktop on top. This would work as none of my panel options (or loldog's panel options) are in the centre.

A partial solution would be to disable the "expand" option on the panel, and shift it to the left (and create a new one for the bottom right). However, you can't make non-expanded panels fully transparent, and it looks a little silly opaque.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

There's a way to make the gnome panel autohide and be only 1 pixel wide I'm sure, I think it's a setting in gconf-editor. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

xubuntu jaunty with cairo-dock and modified mac4lin theme

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭cc

Standard enough gnome, just some minor tweaking.

Attachment not found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

heres mine in a little video, was testing out recorditnow a while back, a kde app, much better to render then the gnome apps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

iPwnage wrote: »
    heres mine in a little video, was testing out recorditnow a while back, a kde app, much better to render then the gnome apps

Wow, thats pretty damn blinged out, is that your usual setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

8Ypajl.jpg

Inb4 'get a mac' :pac:

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Inb4 'get a mac' :pac:

Why would anyone tell you to get a mac?
    So you could have a computer that serves the same purpose, has the same appearance and costs twice as much?

/troll

• Advertisement

Why would anyone tell you to get a mac?
    So you could have a computer that serves the same purpose, has the same appearance and costs twice as much?

/troll

You forgot "It does not scale like Linux". Get me OSX/Darwin running on the worlds fastest supercomputer, to possibly the smallest embedded device on the planet - the picotux 100. On a less Unixy note, why does Windows not log failed logins by default:confused: Pissed me off rightly today so to speak. RDP can be a right pain in the bollocks to deal with. Oh, rsyslogd, how i miss thee under Windows $i.

/drunktalk

Advertisement