Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What line should I use with this fly rod?

Options
  • 24-08-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I have a 10' 6" fly rod, weight 6 - 7. Does this mean a 6 -7 line will work best for general use with this rod?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Yes, that's exactly it (I hope). I'm sure coolwings or Ironbluedun will be quick to correct me if I'm wrong! :D You'll probably want to buy floating line also. If you just ask for 6-7 weight floating line in a tackle shop they'll know what you mean. Also pick up a some leaders and tippets and a few flies (not that I'm any good with them) :rolleyes:. I'm sure you'll be much better at fly fishing then I ever will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

The higher of the two is probably the best choice, ive heard.

Ask for a 7 wt, weight-forward floating line.

Rycn wrote: »
    The higher of the two is probably the best choice, ive heard.

Ask for a 7 wt, weight-forward floating line.
    Yeah, I've heard weight forward is excellent when your casting isn't on par. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

I'm sure Ironbluedun will be quick to correct me if I'm wrong!

you make me sound like the school principal!!!!! i reply not to correct, just to help....there are hundreds who read and wont help..........
    the answer to the original question is yes.

you make me sound like the school principal!!!!! i reply not to correct, just to help....there are hundreds who read and wont help..........
    the answer to the original question is yes.
    Yes Headmaster :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Awwwww .... do we have to call IBD Sir? nerd.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Not a big fan of WF lines. Bit to heavy at the front end for a gentle presentation. If your going to be in a boat or bank fishing on a stockie lake it would be a good choice for distance. If wild trout fishing on the rivers i'd go for a double taper line.

Opinions headmasters? :D

The double taper is the one for delicate river fish....

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

Isn't the first 30' or so of a weight forward and double taper line identical? This is is the part of the line that would affect presentation.

okedoke

okedoke wrote: »
    Isn't the first 30' or so of a weight forward and double taper line identical? This is is the part of the line that would affect presentation.

okedoke
    Dont think so, if its true then they may aswell be the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

The difference is in the taper of the rest of the line. The WF has a thin running line behind the first 30', the double taper has a thick section in the middle and then a mirror image of the front taper at the end.

okedoke

there are far too many lines on the market....half of them are useless and the of the others 48% are crap....the yanks have complicated all of this (surprise, surprise) this weight forward thing is ok if you want to cast a long distance but from a boat its no advantage at all, a traditional double taper is better for boat fishing….to think that anglers used to catch fish on lines made from platted horses hair, and far more fish than we catch today.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

...but from a boat its no advantage at all, a traditional double taper is better for boat fishing….

Why is a DT line better for fishing from a boat?

(My simple question has turned into a very interesting and informative thread. I am learning a lot. Thanks to all who contributed.)

there are far too many lines on the market....half of them are useless and the of the others 48% are crap....the yanks have complicated all of this (surprise, surprise) this weight forward thing is ok if you want to cast a long distance but from a boat its no advantage at all, a traditional double taper is better for boat fishing….to think that anglers used to catch fish on lines made from platted horses hair, and far more fish than we catch today.
    You're exactly right... Yanks coplicate EVERYTHING :D (100th post by the way :))

Here is the pictorial difference between a WF weight forward and a DT double taper fly line.
    taper_444C_float.jpg

Moving the belly towards the tip is a step in the direction of bait casting with spinning rods where the weight is under the rod on the cast. It makes casting easier because less weight is aerialised away from the rod tip on the cast.
    Almost all beginners who try both prefer the WF because the difference is real and helpful to them.

Note that if you are capable of aerialising ALL of a DT, once the backing reaches the rod tip it becomes a long belly WF.

But trout are not stupid so not much fishing is at extreme short range, and anglers are not so capable that much fishing is at excess of 30 metres.
    So most of the time we are fishing at 1/2 to 2/3rds the line's length distance.

Take a look at what this means:
    taper_444C-20metres.jpg
    In particular, two things jump out:
    1 The WF line still has the full casting weight (the belly) in use. But the DT line has 1/3rd of the belly, it's casting weight, on the spool or at least unaerialised.
    Now consider, if you want to cast a spinner a long distance, you have to add lead, or choose a big heavy spinner, to get enough weight to achieve your aim. That is even if that particular spinner is less effective due to being now an over-large size. The distance cast required gives you no choice.
    However if you only want to spin at 20 metres, then you can choose a smaller, lighter spinner that has more action, and is more effective, right?
    Take a look at the 2nd picture just above: while fishing at 15-20 metres, the WF angler is still dropping enough weight to cast 35 metres onto the water beside his trout, but the DT angler is dropping 1/3rd less weight and will make a lot less splash as a result - and we know how cautious big trout can be to disturbance.

But it's is actually worse than that: go back to the top picture. If you look closelt you will see that both lines are a #5 and are the same total weight. But the belly of the DT is longer than the belly of the WF, so although the picture does not show this, the WF belly must be both thicker and heavier than the DT belly.
    So if things were more accurate, the original picture should have shown this:
    taper_444C_realsituation-1.jpg
    So the line near the fish, behind the 8' taper, is thinner and lighter for the DT, and this is more help when dealing with wild browns.

To sum up - where distance is more important than presentation a WF. Where presentation is more important than distance a DT.
    If you are capable of casting distance with a DT, the need for a WF (over a DT) is reduced in all circumstances, but it might still be advantageous for the longest distances.

But if you wanted to cast 45 metres all along there is something designed to so that even better than a WF. What is a WF had running line behind that was even thinner, like spinning line ? That would shoot a mile on the final shoot wouldn't it? Well this would be an ST or SH.
    taper_prec_shootingheads.jpg
    Some people don't like handling the thin lines it tangles easier so handling it is a new skill, and they prefer the thicker running line of a WF, but if you want distance an ST is always significantly better than a WF.

Some of us have been known to cut a DT in half, and add 30 metres of running line behind each of the two halves. This makes two shooting heads (SH or ST), but they are long belly STs not like the bought ones, but with the characteristics of a DT up to 15 metres, and becoming an ST when the thin running line gets outside the tip ring for long casting.

It seems like all good news, but there is a price. The belly has been shortened, so when aerialised the casting weight is reduced. So you better have already bought a line 1 size heavier before cutting it up, or you better have mastered the double haul casting style which moves the line faster through the air, and the extra speed makes up for the lighter weight, or both.

The beginner needs more weight to cast adequately, and the WF provides this near the fly which is useful. But if he bought a DT one or two sizes heavier, then the weight for short casting is there anyway, since the belly of a WF5 is similar to the belly of a DT6-7. This is called intentionally overlining the rod, and where short casts are required it makes it cast just fine. It will actually be superior for casting 10-15 metres, compared to if it had the recommended #5 line.
    But when you want to cast 20-30 metres on your #5 rod, and you have a #6-7 line on the reel, the extra weight might break the rod. So that is the time to cut off the back end of that heavier DT. Work in 6'-10' cuts, and each time you cut, you can learn to cast that bit further, and the rod has the same weight to manage, and stays the same.
    like this:
    taper_prec_shootingheads-homemade.jpg

So you can extend you distance bit by bit in a controlled incremental way, (which happens to be the way we all learn instead of making big steps) and still enjoy the handling of the DT on the business fishy end.

But I have to say 99% of anglers would rather cut off a finger than some of that expensive fly line. So it is a "bravery moment" that only a very few will take. The rest buy a WF, made by the tackle trade for them, enjoy the experience, and do just fine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

There is nothing else to say after that!
    coolwings wrote: »
    Some of us have been known to cut a DT in half, and add 30 metres of running line behind each of the two halves. This makes two shooting heads (SH or ST), but they are long belly STs not like the bought ones, but with the characteristics of a DT up to 15 metres, and becoming an ST when the thin running line gets outside the tip ring for long casting
    It was such a setup I was taught to "double haul" with ... the heavy head made it very obvious when the second "haul" should occur! It was a great teaching/learning tool for this skill/technique.

Congrats on the longest post in boards history :rolleyes:
    That made alot of sense and helped me out a bit.

Slasher wrote: »
    Why is a DT line better for fishing from a boat?
    simply because there is no need to cast too far.....long casting is something to to be avoided from a boat (from the bank/shore its different) Denis moss in his book 'trout from a boat' says to approach the water in front of a drifting boat as you would a river, ie fish the water closest first, its great advice as flyline landing on the water, sitting on the water, and under the water will spook trout...if a large diameter leader can spook them then what will a flyline do? therefore fishing from a drifting boat the golden rule is keep as much flyline away from/off the water as much as possible, this is one reason why longer rods are preferred in lough style fishing. long casting will spook larger trout and reduce your chances greatly. only in a few circumstances is it necessary to fish a long line. therefore there is no need for complicated lines and WF stuff and all that baloney. double taper lines can be reversed and therefore last longer than WF ones. but if you have a WF line that's fine just don't cast too much line. a lot of these lines are developed for bank fishing in stillwater stockie fisheries with rainbows in mind. and also influenced somewhat by this nonsense about casting competitions what a load of crap just because a guy can cast a mile of line does not make him a good fisherman.

but its not so much that one type of line is 'better' than another they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

croo wrote: »
    There is nothing else to say after that!

That a whopper of a post!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Slopeeboy

I hate to butt in to a tread so late but just to let you know at the line weight the rod is speced for, a DT line is not the best from 5wt up wards it offers little or no advantage in presentation as the lines are all ready to chunky for good presentation the rule of thumb is 2wt - 4wt use DT 5wt and above use WF. also when fishing from a boat a DT absoutly no advantage I have used both, the WF line allows you to launch a team of 3 flies on an 18 foot leader with the wind off your back (as it should be on a drift) with ease the less casting strokes the less tiredness at the end of the day. All you have to do with a WF to cast 70ft of line and thus fish the flies for longer is draw your WF line back in until your top dropper is bouncing on the surface then roll cast pickup one back cast and one forward cast and let go with practice and a good breeze you will be launching 70ft of WF 7 in no time, however it will take many years to learn to do this with a DT 7 (thats if you can find a DT 7 or 6 most manufactures dont make such a line as there is no market for it).
    so get a WF 7 floating the GREYS Platnium is an excelent line for the price and a nice natural colour to light grey rember when a fish looks up at your line the background is the sky, grey clouds most of the time.

• Advertisement

Slopeeboy wrote: »
    you will be launching 70ft of WF 7 in no time.

hello slopeeboy. i have a question why do you want to launch 70 foot of line?

Slopeeboy wrote: »
    .... cast 70ft of line and thus fish the flies for longer is draw your WF line back in until your top dropper is bouncing on the surface then roll cast pickup one back cast and one forward cast and let go with practice ...

Aah .. say you cast 70 feet and retrieve to dibble the top dropper and hang the tail/point fly you get a certain number of dibbles (the wavelets are a fixed distance apart).
    Say you cast 30 feet and retrieve you get it in in a shorter space of time. Right? And at the end you get to dibble the same amount.

But the 30' cast takes half the time of a 70' cast to retrieve, so you can get to dibble twice with shortlining against every once with longlining.

And if the boat is drifting downwind, you still get to fish every spot whether it is shortlining or longlining.

Longlining is useful when somebody onboard is wearing bright colours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

wetfly - cast long if there are no fish near the surface... flys sink deep.. fish feed from bottom to surface

dryfly cast long , fish needs to come up to eat it ... or cast short if you see one

cast short if the fish are near the surface and you know where they are...

or always cat short cover all the water for wet......

do what works best for what you see....

sure there is a line out there that is for (role casting/shoot retrieved line) for your wets from a boat and cover every inch in front of you....

And if the boat is drifting downwind, you still get to fish every spot whether it is shortlining or longlining.

correct, so ON A DRIFT why try to cast 70 foot of line plus an 18 foot leader total 88 feet from the top eye to the point fly?????

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Getting back to the original question, I purchased a Wt7 WF floating line by Snowbee (€55 in Baumanns) and took it out to Lough Sheelin last Saturday. It was a very breezy day, not at all pleasant.

The casting action of the line was much different to the previous line I had been using, which I think was a tapered line. Found the WF line much easier to cast straight and with distance. I did notice, however, that the new line made more of a splash as it landed on the water, not all the time, but sometimes.

All in all, I am very pleased with the new line. Mr. Trout did not agree, however, as I did not rise a fish all day.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

Getting back to the original question, I purchased a Wt7 WF floating line by Snowbee (€55 in Baumanns) and took it out to Lough Sheelin last Saturday. It was a very breezy day, not at all pleasant.

The casting action of the line was much different to the previous line I had been using, which I think was a tapered line. Found the WF line much easier to cast straight and with distance. I did notice, however, that the new line made more of a splash as it landed on the water, not all the time, but sometimes.

All in all, I am very pleased with the new line. Mr. Trout did not agree, however, as I did not rise a fish all day.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

all #7 lines splash a little bit at the belly... if your splashing at the tip aim higher... and if this does not solve your problem use a longer leader it will make the tip of the line land softer

all #7 lines splash a little bit at the belly... if your splashing at the tip aim higher... and if this does not solve your problem use a longer leader it will make the tip of the line land softer
    I had this problem, thanks dryfly, gona try it.

I did notice, however, that the new line made more of a splash as it landed on the water, not all the time, but sometimes.

Two points to note 1- forget about distance 2- try very hard to eliminate that 'splash' especially on Sheelin where the water is so clear the larger more wary trout will easily see that line landing on the water (even in wave)....if they see it they wont go within 20-25 yards of your line.

I hope I'm not telling you something you know for years but ....
    Next time don't cast at the water where you want the fly to land, instead cast at a spot in the air 2-3 feet above the water.
    The cast will expend its energy in the air and the motionless line will fall, and this makes far less disturbance than a line falling that still retains forwards motion.
    Then as things get neater over the weeks, slowly lower that target spot until it is only 6" above where you want the fly to land.

• Advertisement

I hope I'm not telling you something you know for years but ....
    Next time don't cast at the water where you want the fly to land, instead cast at a spot in the air 2-3 feet above the water.
    The cast will expend its energy in the air and the motionless line will fall, and this makes far less disturbance than a line falling that still retains forwards motion.
    Then as things get neater over the weeks, slowly lower that target spot until it is only 6" above where you want the fly to land.
    Just like to say thanks for this, its the small things that make so much more of a difference! I knew i was doing something wrong :)

Advertisement