Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent mens hairdressers in Carlow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

mickos wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's Mick. I'm terrible with names though. I usually go there myself. Went in last weekend and he was closed for holidays. I went to the turkish guy on Tullow street instead. Haircut is fine, can't complain. Much better service in O'Hara Byrnes though. Sky sports while you wait. Wash and cut for €13. You go out feeling fresh as a daisy.

Plus coffee most of the time that wins me over. Only complaint i ever had was he did an awful botch job on my youngfella....on his birthday....which is new years eve.......talk about gettin ate when i arrived home with him!!!! Thank god he was not in school then. He ended up lookin like jim carey from dumb and dumber and the fact that i thought of that and said it put me in the house even longer!!!!

Do like getting my hair done there though. Also a decent place in ballon. It's actually a women boutique but they do mine for 10 euro and cant complain

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

racso1975 wrote: »
    Plus coffee most of the time that wins me over. Only complaint i ever had was he did an awful botch job on my youngfella....on his birthday....which is new years eve.......talk about gettin ate when i arrived home with him!!!! Thank god he was not in school then. He ended up lookin like jim carey from dumb and dumber and the fact that i thought of that and said it put me in the house even longer!!!!

Do like getting my hair done there though. Also a decent place in ballon. It's actually a women boutique but they do mine for 10 euro and cant complain

Which one do you go to in ballon? I'm living out that way now, I might give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

mickos wrote: »
    Which one do you go to in ballon? I'm living out that way now, I might give it a try.

The one beside the hardware store not sure what it's called. They did a promotion around paddy's day for 5 euro hair cut. was the only reason i went into a wimmens salon.....i swear:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

racso1975 wrote: »
    The one beside the hardware store not sure what it's called. They did a promotion around paddy's day for 5 euro hair cut. was the only reason i went into a wimmens salon.....i swear:o

That's angelz and they often have offers on Facebook, I went here that time they had that offer around paddys day and it was the worst haircut I have ever had, swore I would never go back again.. Hair was cut at different lengths at either side and unverifiable on top also... Was so bad I gave it a week and got paddy the Turk to sort it out..

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Try Dolmen barbers up beside supervalu on the Hacketstown Rd, the girls in there are really good and have the craic too.

I wouldnt go anywhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I contacted Tommy as the other half had booked me into Angelz Ballon, I have to report I had a very good experience, mentioned the review (no names or website) and it was explained the whole place has changed, The girl in question did a great job and the free Cappachino was great. if anyone wanted the name of the girl who cut my hair, then drop me a line..

I also tried Mantime for a hot towel shave, will report back on that in the other thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Been a while since I posted here but got my hair cut in V's barber shop (close to swan's) on Tullow st last week and have ot say is much better than 1st class barbers, she actually listened to what I asked for and checked during the cut if it was right for me.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Got my hair cut in the new barbers called Mr Snips beside Abrakebabra on Barrack Street today and Glad to say I got a very high quality haircut and he took his time to get to know exactly what I was looking for. He does very up to date cuts . I would definitely recommend.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Paddy the Turk's not too bad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

mfitzy wrote: »
    Paddy the Turk's not too bad ;)

Paddy the Turk has gone abroad afaik so it MrSnips for me from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 AlanC275.

Dolmen Barbers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ganger

Got the christmas cut done this morning in Ann-Marie +Taras on Tullow Street..A1 again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the lad beside the health food shop on tullow st is very good. I bought a clippers a few months ago so I could just shave my own head, but if I'm ever heading anywhere where I have to make some kind of effort in my appearance I'll definitely be dropping in to him to get it done properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

patrickc wrote: »
    i'll never go to o'hara byrnes again, the guy who does the hair is dog ignorant and NEVER listens to what you want..

Very true. He just grunts and never talks, and just goes with what he wants to do rather than what is asked of him.

Worst experience of my life, He didnt listen as stated by others, but the worst part was the hygiene, Counter was dirty, beer mat thing for the combs and the worst bit was when he shaved my neck, he actually whipped up the shaving cream in the sink and ran the brush around the plug hole to lather it before trying to shave my neck.. He should get a bowl or better still get another job… Haircut not what I wanted, and a mess…

NEVER AGAIN… and it was more expensive than the last place in Ballon, at least they listened with decent coffee and it was cheaper ..

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

sunny2004 wrote: »
    patrickc wrote: »
    i'll never go to o'hara byrnes again, the guy who does the hair is dog ignorant and NEVER listens to what you want..

Worst experience of my life, He didnt listen as stated by others, but the worst part was the hygiene, Counter was dirty, beer mat thing for the combs and the worst bit was when he shaved my neck, he actually whipped up the shaving cream in the sink and ran the brush around the plug hole to lather it before trying to shave my neck.. He should get a bowl or better still get another job… Haircut not what I wanted, and a mess…

NEVER AGAIN… and it was more expensive than the last place in Ballon, at least they listened with decent coffee and it was cheaper ..

Il agree with this..nice seating area with the tv etc..but with regard to the actual haircut hes a law onto himself,doesn't listen to what you want done at all and not exactly full of chat..

Id rather a decent haircut myself instead of the fancy flat screen tvs,leather seats etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I always get my hair cut in the barbers being mentioned and I've always found him to be friendly and to give the haircut that I ask for.
    I'm asked specifically what I want and he has stopped inbetween to confirm length and style etc.

Not sure what ye're talking about to tell ya the truth.

Got the mop chopped in O Hara/ Byrne today and no complaints whatsoever.. had a great chat with the chap and all..

I went there based on the recommendations here? I feel like I found the wrong place! Barber with a Meath accent, did a decent enough job but extremely unfriendly manner. I felt like the moment I stepped in I was disturbing him from his tv watching. €15 I thought steep too. It's safe to say I'll never be back there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

There's a new place down at the bottom of castle hill (where Fitzmaurice butchers used to be), Brass Monkey.
    I was in it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.
    €12 for hair and beard trim. I don't have much on top, so maybe that had something to do with the price!
    No connection to him, but would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,501 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

road_high wrote: »
    I went there based on the recommendations here? I feel like I found the wrong place! Barber with a Meath accent, did a decent enough job but extremely unfriendly manner. I felt like the moment I stepped in I was disturbing him from his tv watching. €15 I thought steep too. It's safe to say I'll never be back there...

Is this the place just across from the library? If it is I felt the exact same way when I went in earlier this year and I won't be going back.

Growing it now and becoming an aging long hair grumpy auld fcuker.

Is this the place just across from the library? If it is I felt the exact same way when I went in earlier this year and I won't be going back.

Growing it now and becoming an aging long hair grumpy auld fcuker.

Almost...there's a Polish shop directly across. I'd say he's a good barber but who wants that kind of surliness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

ive always used ohara byrnes in tullow - lad does a good job and its a nice place

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭VulcanRaving

maccored wrote: »
    ive always used ohara byrnes in tullow - lad does a good job and its a nice place

Must have been a different guy to who I had.
    I found the barber I had to be very heavy handed and I felt rushed out the door, no chat or asked what way I wanted things done.
    Wouldn't mind if it was cheap as chips but I expected premium for what I was paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Personnaly I can't fault Tara and Ann Marie's up near Eddie Rockets. Fiver for a number 2 all round and very nice people as well

I found the barber I had to be very heavy handed and I felt rushed out the door, no chat or asked what way I wanted things done.
    Wouldn't mind if it was cheap as chips but I expected premium for what I was paying.

in the Tullow shop?

Personnaly I can't fault Tara and Ann Marie's up near Eddie Rockets. Fiver for a number 2 all round and very nice people as well

Which one is this? I was in the barber beside there (last building in Tullow st), is that the one?

You're right about the heavy handedness- he almost slam dunked my head into the basin washing my hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Anyone know what the craic is with Tierna's barbers (previously V's) opposite Haddens?..been going there for years now but its not been open this week,wonder if it's shut permanently??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

celticsfan wrote: »
    Anyone know what the craic is with Tierna's barbers (previously V's) opposite Haddens?..been going there for years now but its not been open this week,wonder if it's shut permanently??

Been saying it's due to reopen under new management soon.........for a number of weeks now with no sign of it reopening under said new management.

Bring back Miley & back to Dublin St. too where the unit still lies vacant.

miley has a pub and barbers in spain now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

maccored wrote: »
    miley has a pub and barbers in spain now

So I hear/d alright; him & the missus went out a few years ago.

Was cutting my hair from 1997 when I first moved to Carlow until he emigrated following on from opening of his Tullow St. unit.

Used to come down from the Big Smoke when I lived up there every couple of months just to have him cut it he was that good.

As an aside in Amber Secret/Amber Heaven (?) at the junction with College St. on Tullow St. beside AIB Bank/Dealz & opp. the Med, there's a new womens (presumably) hairdressers opening up soon.

Looks to be 6-8 chairs; it's some unit to fill so presumably the demand is there in the town from a womens fashion/hair + beauty p.o.v.

Advertisement