Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotro Free to Play Details

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i downloaded it installed it played for a few levels felt kinda lame and barren
    then i quit and uninstalled it :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

um, says ive got a trial. so whats the billy, will i get to play for free after the trial is up or what? cos i wont bother paying for it, but i will play it if its free ^^
    went with a dwarf champion cos i like dwarves and like hitting things hard. was gonna go for the tank but considering its the first mmo i might consider possibly playing i went for the most basic. any clans or that sorta stuff on here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Thats one of the things I think WAR did really well, where from very early levels they encouraged people to group up for public quests and pvp. That really is where these games succeed, not really as single player experiences. (Mind you I loved the lotr monster pvp dealio for the same reason as the monster side have to group up and be somewhat organised)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Oh might be worth noting that it's worth being careful during the install, or remembering to run the appropriate uninstaller for this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/deyx7/installed_lotro_now_that_it_became_f2p_beware/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so is this f2p in Europe yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Drakar wrote: »
    Oh might be worth noting that it's worth being careful during the install, or remembering to run the appropriate uninstaller for this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/deyx7/installed_lotro_now_that_it_became_f2p_beware/

Lots of games use this now, all you have to do is disable it from running from start up and any usage it has is defunct.Link is pretty funny, reading the comments though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

so is this f2p in Europe yet?

I believe f2p is pencilled in for release on 30/09/10 but it is not a definite date. At the moment however it is better then f2p as the game is on a trial which isnt time limited so now is the best time to start an acccount.

I did a few checks about a week ago to see how many people under level 20 were online and there were hundreds about(Server-Snobourne). You fly through the early levels so people shouldn't really be bothered about finding people to group up with until you are around level 30. By this stage you should be looking to join a kinship which makes things easier and more fun as there is usually fellow kinnies leveling together.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I havent got round to logging in since i reinstalled a few weeks ago, tried to log in there now and its telling me to add a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I believe the EU f2p has been delayed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Have they any credible reason to delay it?

• Advertisement

Have they any credible reason to delay it?

Nothing they are telling us about which has led people to believe its a legal issue that they cant talk about. Lots of rumours about the delay on the official forums but I wont spread them here as they are just that....for the moment.

Well it looks like F2P for Europe will posibly take place next Thursday. There is a preview event taking place from Monday which is being used to stress test the servers. This preview is open to all who sign up and will include an auto level service which will jump you to level cap. Might be a good way for people to experince a bit of end game...

FAQ below.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f2p-preview-event-discussion-1348/438769-preview-event-mini-faq.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So i installed and updated for the supposedly last F2P that never happened.
    Dates were arranged but never happened :rolleyes:
    Now they have some preview event starting today and i have to download a totally different client :rolleyes:
    Seriously this has become an absolute joke.
    Thank fcuk the new wow expansion is coming soon because nobody else seems to be able to come anywhere close to blizzard.

Details an how to hit level cap in the preview for anyone interested....

Step 1
    Login to the game and open the shop as soon as you can. The you have to buy the Moria AddOn. Leave the game completly and start again. Then open the shop again and buy Mirkwood. Attention: You cannot buy Mirkwood if you haven't relogged! Do this all before you get 50!

Step 2
    Enter the Eyes and Guard tavern. There you'll find some NPCs with many rings over their heads. Ignore them all!

Step 3 - Getting 50
    Talk to the NPC Kneth, and only to him. He will give you a quest to get 50! Take it and give it back to. Now you should be 50.

Step 4 - Getting 60
    Now go down in the same building until you found the "Moria Training Chambers". There is a snowman standing in front of the door. Enter it and you'll find a NPC called Liu-Tsieng in the middle of the next room. Talk to him, and he'll give you a quest to get 60. Empty your bags before! Now you should be 60.

Step 5 - Getting 65
    The same NPC will have new quests for you, one for each level until 65. Don't forget to empty your bags before getting 65. If you've done everything right, you should be 65 by now!

Identify legendary items
    To identify LI's you have to finish Book II. To do so you have to talk to the cat Elevensies next to the barkeeper in the tavern, closely located to the front door. Finish Book II and you can identify your legendary items!"

Edit: This of course in a preview server so you arent spending real cash but wont be keeping anything either when f2p is released for real.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/news-announcements-434/440638-lord-rings-online-free-play-european-launch-date-announced.html
    The much anticipated The Lord of the Rings Online Free to Play Store and latest content, Book 2; Ride of the Grey Company will launch across Europe on Tuesday 2nd November 2010.

You will be able to download the game and play for free as well as purchase expansions, quest packs, items, and account services à la carte from the new LOTRO Store opening on Tuesday 2nd November 2010.

This major new content update (Book 2; Ride of the Grey Company) will also serve to extend the game’s epic story and expand the world of Middle-earth with the new region of Enedwaith.

Highlights of the latest update to LOTRO will include:

* Volume III, Book 2: The Ride of the Grey Company -- Having sworn to protect the heirs of Isildur, the Dúnedain responded with all haste to the urgent message from Elrond. Players will join the newly-formed Grey Company in Rivendell as they depart on their journey far from the relative safety of that hidden valley into the new region of Enedwaith. Book 2 consists of fifteen solo-able chapters full of exploration, exciting combat and a healthy dose of mystery.
    * The LOTRO Store is Now Open for Business! -- The LOTRO Store is loaded with thousands of convenience items as well as expansion packs, premium content, additional character slots, potions, character customization and more. The LOTRO Store is seamlessly integrated into the game and lets the player identify new and exciting ways to enhance and customise their experience, using Points which can be purchased in the Store or earned through gameplay.
    * The Return of the Harvest Festival -- When the days shorten and the nights begin to cool, it’s time to celebrate the bounty of the harvest. All the races of Middle-earth celebrate this time and gather at the Bree festival grounds for the Harvestmath events that include bobbing for apples, pumpkin picking and much more. This year’s festival features a brand new event located in the new Haunted Burrow, a haunted hobbit Fun-house!
    * And Much More! – This latest update also introduces the Wardrobe, a new storage system for cosmetic items that’s available for free to VIP players or can be purchased a la carte from the LOTRO Store, an updated character creation system, a revamped new player experience, the update and addition of “classic” instances featuring repeatable, scalable content, and much more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

about bloody time....

Advertisement