Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotro Free to Play Details

Options
  • 24-08-2010 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Going free to play on September 10th. Existing players in the US are getting to play under the F2P experience from the 8th altough im not too sure if the same is going to be the case for EU players....but my gut feeling it will be despite not seeing it confirmed anywhere.

vhgwc.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Do you have any idea where lifetime subscribers stand? Are they counted as VIP or Premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

humanji wrote: »
    Do you have any idea where lifetime subscribers stand? Are they counted as VIP or Premium?

VIPs, and should do good out of the move if they are smart and save up points to spend on future expansions rather then spending on cosmetic fluff.

That could be worse, I suppose. You're think there'd be some sort of loyalty bonus. Then again, I only play on and off every now and again, so maybe they're on to me! :D

edit: actually, I just found a page that says you do get a loyalty bonus! :o Sad thing is, I was a Founder, but didn't get a lifetime membership then. So when I did get around to getting the lifetime membership, it cancelled out my Founder status and so I don't get that bonus. :(

And sorry to keep asking questions (well, you keep answering, so it's your fault! :P ), but what's the story with areas then? It's says that Erud Luin, the Shire and Breeland are available and others are purchasable. I've got the two expansion packs, so does that only open up those areas specific to the expansions, or do I get more?

And what about the quests that send you into other areas? Have they just done away with these? And does that just leave you left grinding because there isn't enough quests in the free areas?

I'd love to get back into this. I'll probably have to just start a new toon as I can barely remember how to play or what any of the abilities of my old toon do. Might give it a shot over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah. Find it all a bit hugely confusing too.

Lifetime sub here too. Not sure if I should feel short changed about the whole thing or not.

Let me know if you work it out. ha.

That could be worse, I suppose. You're think there'd be some sort of loyalty bonus. Then again, I only play on and off every now and again, so maybe they're on to me! :D

edit: actually, I just found a page that says you do get a loyalty bonus! :o Sad thing is, I was a Founder, but didn't get a lifetime membership then. So when I did get around to getting the lifetime membership, it cancelled out my Founder status and so I don't get that bonus. :(

Might be worth sending a mail to the customer support if you really want those extra free points.

And sorry to keep asking questions (well, you keep answering, so it's your fault! :P ), but what's the story with areas then? It's says that Erud Luin, the Shire and Breeland are available and others are purchasable. I've got the two expansion packs, so does that only open up those areas specific to the expansions, or do I get more?

It took me a while to get my mind around this as well. This is how it was explanined to me....

When you bought the expansions you paid for the content and so will have access to these in its entirity. With your initial purchase of Lotro you were purchasing access to the online servers and so didnt purchase any specific content so hence if you are were a subscriber and decided to go F2P there would be a hole in the content that you would have a very limited ability to level.

As a lifer you will have access to everything in game that you have at the moment, there is no detrioation of what you have access to.

And what about the quests that send you into other areas? Have they just done away with these? And does that just leave you left grinding because there isn't enough quests in the free areas?

Players that are wishing to play without putting their hand in their pocket will be very limited in how quickly(or how interesting) their journey will be. This thread discuses it in more detail.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/lotro-free-play-discussion-1330/423887-can-you-get-65-free.html

I'd love to get back into this. I'll probably have to just start a new toon as I can barely remember how to play or what any of the abilities of my old toon do. Might give it a shot over the weekend.

If you haven't tried a hunter before its definitly the class I would recommend to someone starting out. Can be quite an easy class to play....

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. :)
    Lister1 wrote: »
    If you haven't tried a hunter before its definitly the class I would recommend to someone starting out. Can be quite an easy class to play....

I've played a hunter already and loved it. In fact, I think I may have even teamed up with you once or twice. To freshen your memory, I was the idiot that I think yourself and Rev Hellfire were trying to help unlock the warg's stealth run ability in monsterplay, and after about 2 hours I realised that I already had it and just forgot to apply it.

Maybe I just shouldn't play computer games. :o

Cheers for that. :)
    In fact, I think I may have even teamed up with you once or twice. To freshen your memory, I was the idiot that I think yourself and Rev Hellfire were trying to help unlock the warg's stealth run ability in monsterplay, and after about 2 hours I realised that I already had it and just forgot to apply it.

Yep, I remember you well. Altough I havent seen you online much besides those couple of days...

I'm on sporadically. Not as often as I should. I'm thinking as the Free To Play kicks off, there'll be a lot of interest and I'll invest more time into it. Might try and get a few more hours on here and there, as a warm up.

What server are you guys on these days? Think most of my characters are on Snowbourne.

What server are you guys on these days? Think most of my characters are on Snowbourne.

I think the majority of any boards.ie lotro players are on Snowbourne.

• Advertisement

Ah grand. Rolled a new elf hunter last night to ease my way back into things. Leveling seems a lot easier now thanks to the quests being bundled together in a smarter way.

Some more details for people who wish to move from monthly subscription to f2p.

http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/2010/08/vip-to-premium/
    Are you a subscriber to LOTRO who’s looking to downgrade to Premium once Free to Play launches? There are a few things you should know about to make sure you get the maximum benefits possible after your switch.

These perks can also apply to people who purchased a product key that included 30 days free time making them a VIP account for the month. Many but not all product keys includes VIP play time and can be used to upgrade existing accounts (so not just for new players). [faq P4]

Downgrading your account to VIP is pretty simple. Stop paying your monthly subscription. At the end of your subscription billing cycle, your account will automatically downgrade from VIP to premium.

Don’t cancel your VIP subscription, yet!

There are a few things you should do first to keep some VIP benefits on your character. Most of these simply require you to login your characters but I want to go through them all so you know what exactly you can or cannot keep when downgrading and I link to the FAQ about that specific topic. I assume that you will have to do these tasks after free to play goes live but it is not explicitly stated that is a requirement. I would wait to do these after free to play and then downgrade your account just to be on the safe side.
    Removing Gold Cap Restrictions

Gold CoinsPremium players have a gold limit of 5 gold that is kept on the character. However, you can keep your unlimited gold status for your characters if downgrading from VIP to Premium.

To permanently remove the gold cap on your characters, simply log them in while still VIP. These characters will get to keep the unlimited gold collection that VIPs enjoy. Any characters you do not login or any new characters you create while premium will have the 5 gold cap applied. [faq D2]
    Retaining Inventory Bags

Premium players have a limit of 3 inventory bags (the bags on your character) instead of the full 5 a VIP enjoys. You can keep your 5 bags if downgrading from VIP to Premium.

Like the gold cap, all you need to do is log in all your characters while still VIP. Any characters you do not login or any new characters you create while premium will have the 3 bag rule applied. [faq D3]
    Earn Your Riding Skill

Goldenstar on her Summer PonyThose characters who earned the riding skill while VIP will keep their riding privileges. [faq D4]

In case you aren’t aware, the riding skill is available at level 20 (down from level 35) in F2P and is a single quest rather than the series of quests we have now.

Premium (and free) players must purchase their riding skill from the store. They are not able to earn this trait through an in game quest.

Save yourself some real life cash by getting all your 20+ characters their riding skill before downgrading to premium!
    Keeping Extra Traits Slots

Premium (and Free) players have a limit of 1 or 2 trait slots open to them per trait type. Any VIP downgrading to premium gets to keep all their trait slots open. Even for the higher level trait slots they haven’t unlocked yet. [faq D13]

Similar to the gold cap and inventory bags you must log in your characters to keep their traits. Any un-played or new character will still receive the premium trait limits after downgrading.
    Benefits You Will Lose After Downgrading

* Ability to post items on the auction house. Current auctions will finish but you will be unable to post any new items. [faq D14]
    * Access to quests outside the starting areas. [faq D15] Your account will be limited to quest packs in the Shire, Ered Luin and Breeland until you purchase more.
    * Some Instances [faq D15.1] and deeds [faq D16] as these items are part of quest packs and will be unlocked with quest pack purchase.
    * Rest Experience. [faq D20] You will be able to use any rest experience you’ve earned but your character will not gain any more after downgrading.
    * Unlimited chat (tells sent to other players) [faq D21.1] and unlimited mail [faq D22.1]. Chat and mailing for a premium player is not as restrictive as a free player but it is still time limited to number of times you are allowed to send (tells or mail items) in a specific timeframe.
    * Most swift travel. [faq D23] Outside of the starter zones, most swift travel is only open to VIPs.
    * Unlimited Crafting. You will be able to advance in your current tier, join the crafting guild and work on guild reputation but you will will not be able to advance to the next tier. [faq D24]
    * Character Slots. Premium accounts are limited to 3 base character slots while a VIP has 5 base character slots. Downgrading will deactivate 2 of your current character slots. [faq D26.2] If all your slots are currently full, you will be prompted to chose the characters you wish to play after downgrading. The remaining characters will remain there but cannot be accessed unless extra character slots are purchased.

You Keep Your Purchases

As a reminder, you will get to keep anything you purchase with either in-game gold or using the LOTRO Store after downgrading. Even if they are VIP only items, if you purchased it – you keep it. [faq S3] Any extras you may have purchased such as the Mines of Moria or Mirkwood expansions or the Adventurer’s Pack are yours to keep when you downgrade.

http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php?p=4914403&postcount=2

VIP vs Premium vs Free

D1. Downgrade Possibilities
    Once your account is upgraded to Premium, that is the minimum status it can have. If it is upgraded to Premium, it will never downgrade to Free. If it is upgraded to VIP, you can un-subscribe and have Premium access (but won't ever go back to Free).

D1.1 "Types" of Premium
    There is only one type of Premium. However, individual characters can have increased access if the account was previously VIP or subscribed prior to the launch of Free play.

D1.2 Subscriber = VIP
    A Previous subscriber will be treated exactly the same as someone who downgrades from VIP. VIP is just another way of describing a subscriber.

D1.3 Account Status @ Launch
    Accounts will retain their current subscription/price plan status at launch. The player can chose to make any change via the Account Management website.
    -Subscribed accounts will remain subscribed, which translates to VIP access.
    -Accounts that were previously upgraded with a key, or that subscription fees were paid on will have Premium Status. You can chose to upgrade to VIP at any point and re-subscribe.
    -Free/Trial/Guest/Referral/Beta accounts that were never upgraded will have Free access. You can chose to upgrade at any point to VIP by subscribing. Any points purchase (with real world money) will upgrade the account to Premium.

D2. Gold Cap (VIP to Premium)
    If you downgrade from VIP to Premium, the gold cap is permanently removed for any characters that you log into while you are VIP. Any characters that you don't log into, or characters created after you downgrade will have the Premium cap.

D2.1 Gold Restrictions (Free to Premium)
    Only Free accounts are restricted about moving gold between characters on the same subscription. Premium and VIP accounts can move gold between characters on the same subscription.

D2.2 The Gold Cap and Escrow
    Money will accumulate over the cap for a character, and the money above the cap has no limit. However, the money will not actually be delivered to the character's wallet until the cap is removed. You cannot spend down gold to access the escrow.
    You can remove the cap by purchasing the Remove Gold Restriction offer from the store (also see S5). The cap does not apply to VIP subscribers. The only exception is for a Premium account which has been downgraded from VIP: any character which was played while an account was VIP will continue to not have the gold cap.

D3. Storage Space (VIP to Premium)
    If you downgrade from VIP to Premium, only characters active while the account is VIP will have 5 bags. Any characters that you don't log into, or characters created after you downgrade will have 3 bags.

D4. Riding (VIP to Premium)
    If you have the riding skill for a character then you keep riding, even if you downgrade to Premium. Characters that do not gain the riding skill while VIP, or characters created after you downgrade do not have that skill.

D4.1 Riding and the Store
    The riding skill can be purchased in the store. The only restriction is that the character you are purchasing the riding trait for must have acquired the Passive Skill: Novice. This is earned by completing the beginning experience.

D5. Does having purchased Angmar give Premium access?
    -Yes, the box or digital purchase of The Lord of the Rings Online: The Shadows of Angmar gives Premium status. This also applies to any complete purchases that included Angmar access (Moria Complete, Mirkwood Complete).

-Existing or past players who only created Free trial accounts will not receive Premium status at launch this fall.

D6. What areas and quests are included with Angmar? (The FAQ notes Ered Luin, Shire, Bree-land are free, and Eriador is available for VIP).
    -All quests in The Shire, Ered Luin, and Bree-land are available to all players.
    -All landscape areas that were launched with The Lord of the Rings Online: The Shadows of Angmar are open to free players, as are all regions opened as part of book releases leading up to the launch of The Lord of the Rings: Mines of Moria. Those areas are as follows: Lone-lands, North Downs, Trollshaws, Misty Mountains, Angmar, Evendim, Forochel, and Eregion. While free players can explore and kill monsters in these areas they cannot complete the side quests contained there without first purchasing the Quest Packs for those areas.
    -All players will also have full access to the Epic Story (Volume 1, Books 1 – 15), crafting and class quests up to level 50.

-In order to access Moria or Mirkwood, all players (free, premium or VIP) will need to first purchase the expansion packs to gain access to this content.

D7. What areas and quests are included with Moria?
    -When a player purchases the Mines of Moria Expansion they immediately unlock all the quests and areas within Moria, Dimril Dale and Lothlorien for access; including all instances related to the areas and the Epic Story for (Volume 2, Books 1 – 8).
    -They also receive 2 character slots, access to Legendary Items and the Rune-keeper and Warden classes.
    -Their level cap is increased to 60.

D7.1 Moria and Tier 6 Crafting
    At this time, Tier 6 crafting is only included with the purchase of Moria. Interest in the ability to purchase Tier 6 Crafting separately has been passed along.

D8. What areas and quests are included with Mirkwood?
    -When a player purchases the Siege of Mirkwood expansion they immediately unlock all the quests and areas within Mirkwood; including all instances related to the area and the beginning of the Epic Story (Volume 2, Book 9 and Volume 3).
    -They also receive access to the full suite of Skirmishes that became available with Mirkwood.
    -Their level cap is increased to 65.

D9. Adventurer's Pack
    -If you have purchased the Adventurer's pack, you keep the character slots and shared bank space.

D10. Free (After Free Play Launch)
    In order to have a free account, you can use a previous, non-upgraded trial/guest/referral subscription. You can also create a new free subscription.

D11. Premium (After Free Play Launch)
    In order to be Premium, you need to have purchased something with real world money at some point. This includes points purchases, box or digital copies of the game or subscription fees (paid prior to or after the launch of Free Play).

D12. VIP (After Free Play Launch)
    In order to be VIP you need to be currently subscribed to the game, using a credit card or game cards as payment.
    Any current subscribers who continue to keep an active subscription (including Lifetime subscriptions) are VIP.

D13. Trait Slots (VIP to Premium)
    For any current subscriber or VIP, if you downgrade to Premium you keep all trait slots on characters played during the time you subscribed. You will not lose any trait slots or have them un-slotted when you downgrade, regardless of the level of the character when you downgrade. This does includes traits that your character hasn't reached the level for yet.
    After you downgrade to Premium, any new (or un-played) characters will not have access to additional trait slots.

D14. Auctions (VIP to Premium)
    If you downgrade to Premium from VIP you will lose your auction slots. However, any auctions currently in those slots will stay up until they expire or are purchased. After which they will be returned as normal or the game money sent as normal.

D15. Quests(VIP to Premium)
    If you downgrade to Premium from VIP, you can complete any quests you are currently on (quests in your journal) even if it is not one that you would normally have access to with the areas unlocked on your account. You can only start other quests in the area or chain if you have access to the applicable area with your Premium status (it is included free, you've purchased the pack that includes the area, etc).

D15.1 Instances (VIP to Premium)
    Some Quest Packs include Instances. Information about exactly what is included with each should be listed in the store description.

D16. Deeds (VIP to Premium)
    Any Deeds that you are currently in the middle of earning, you can continue. However, you won't be able to start on the next Deed if you have downgraded, and not bought the area that the deed is associated with.

D17. Rep(utation) (VIP to Premium, Premium & Free)
    Any rep you have earned, you keep.
    The ability to earn more rep is dependent on the available method(s) of earning rep, which may include turn ins and quests (in some cases account status may change quest availability, see D15, and/or area availability). Most reps can be earned in some way without the purchase of areas or upgrades, however many more opportunities are available once an area is unlocked, and the included quests and NPCs accessible. As noted in D15, if you are already mid quest, you can complete that quest, regardless of account status.

D18. Customer Service Availability - Free & Premium
    For Free players, and Premium players outside of the 30 day window, In-game support is limited to spam/harassment reports (right click on the name) and stuck support (using the /stuck command).
    Account and Tech support is available for all players, regardless of status.

D19. Monthly VIP Points
    Monthly VIP points will be granted within 2-3 days after the successful payment (or monthly anniversary for multi-month and Lifetime subscriptions). Also see the Points: VIP, Bonus, Earned In-Game sectionabove.

D20. Rest XP (Free and Premium)
    Free and Premium players do not earn Rest XP.

D20.1 Rest XP (VIP to Premium)
    If an account is downgraded from VIP to Premium, you stop earning new Rest XP as Premium. You can still use existing Rest XP, but can’t earn any more unless you upgrade to VIP again.

D21. Chat Restrictions (Free)
    Free players can send tells to a unique character within a 30 second interval, with some small limits on how often you can send. Basically, once a free player sends a tell to another character, they can’t send tells to any other players for the next 30 seconds.* Please do note that there are other ways (besides tells) to talk to other players.
    These restrictions are in place to protect all of our players and the game experience, and prevent spam and third party abuse.

D21.1 Chat Restrictions (Premium)
    Premium players do have limits on chat, but they are not as strict as the free restrictions. The time limits are not as restrictive, and you can talk to several players at once. Please do note that there are other ways (besides tells) to talk to other players.

D21.2 Chat Restrictions (VIP)
    No restrictions. Chat as you like!

D21.3 Chat Restrictions (VIP to Premium)
    Players who downgrade from VIP are subject to the same Premium restrictions (as far as chat) as players who have never been VIP.

D22. Mail & Trade Restrictions (Free)
    Free players have mail restrictions similar to Free chat restrictions.* Free players cannot mail away or trade away gold. Free players can receive gold in trade or in the mail (subject to the gold cap). Most items can be mailed or traded, however any item restrictions are based on the item in question (i.e. character bound items cannot be traded or mailed).

D22.1 Mail & Trade Restrictions (Premium)
    Premium players do have limits on mail, but they are not as strict as the free restrictions. The time limits are not as restrictive, and you can mail to several players within a short period. Premium players can send and receive gold by mail (subject to the gold cap).
    Premium players do not have trade restrictions. They do have the ability to send or receive gold by trade (subject to the gold cap).
    Most items can be mailed or traded, however any item restrictions are based on the item in question (i.e. character bound items cannot be traded or mailed).

D22.2 Mail & Trade Restrictions (VIP)
    No restrictions. Mail and trade as you like! Please note that most items can be mailed or traded, however any item restrictions are based on the item in question (i.e. character bound items cannot be traded or mailed).

D22.3 Mail & Trade Restrictions (VIP to Premium)
    Players who downgrade from VIP are subject to the same Premium restrictions (as far as mail & trade) as players who have never been VIP.

D23. Swift Travel
    Most swift travel is VIP-only. You can purchase an item from the store which temporarily unlocks it for Free/Premium as well. There are a few exceptions – notably the swift routes in the beginning areas.

D24. Crafting Guilds, Crafting Restrictions and Store Purchase
    Everyone can join a crafting guild once they are at the expert tier of the profession with a guild.
    In order to be able to advance to farther than acquaintance standing, you have to buy access to the crafting guild from the webstore.
    If you are a VIP you get this ability automatically.
    If you become a Premium from VIP, you can advance within the current tier and get as much reputation as you want, but you won’t advance to the next tier unless you buy the item or subscribe again.

D25. Skirmish
    Skirmish soldier ranks are gated at 7 for a non-Moria account.
    For accounts with the Moria upgrade, the skirmish rank is gated at 15.
    For accounts with the Mirkwood upgrade, the skirmish rank is gated at 25.
    More skirmish information will be forthcoming.

D26. Character Slots
    Free players have access to 2 character slots.
    Premium players have access to 3 character slots.
    VIP players have access to 5 character slots.

D26.1 Additional Character Slots
    Additional character slots can be purchased.
    Moria includes 2 additional character slots.
    The Adventurer's Pack includes 2 additional character slots.
    Additional character slots can be purchased in the web store, up to a limit of 17.

D26.2 Extra characters/slots when I downgrade?
    If you downgrade from VIP to Premium, you will lose access to 2 character slots. If all of the character slots are filled prior to the downgrade, you will be prompted to pick which characters you would like access to when you log in after the downgrade takes effect. CHARACTERS WILL NOT BE DELETED, you just won't be able to access them unless you purchase additional character slots, or upgrade to VIP again.
    If you purchase additional character slots, you keep those additional character slots, regardless of any changes to your account. For example, if you are VIP and you have 5 character slots, and you purchase 2 additional character slots (not related to Mirkwood or the AdvPk) for a total of 7 character slots. If you downgrade to Premium you will then have a total of 5 character slots.

D26.3 - Character Limitations per Server
    These base character limitations are per server. For example, without any additional purchase, as a Premium player you can have up to 3 characters on each server.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've decided to give the free trial a go as I can't wait for the F2P to start. Want to try it out before I decide on this or EQ2. Should be able to slip nicely into the F2P model when it goes live as well.

Sarn wrote: »
    I've decided to give the free trial a go as I can't wait for the F2P to start. Want to try it out before I decide on this or EQ2. Should be able to slip nicely into the F2P model when it goes live as well.

I know in the US they stopped the trial, not sure if it is still active in the EU. F2P should suit the more casual player very well...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

As a past subscriber im guessing i will be the bog standard F2P player?
    Anything on the table for past subscribers?

I just hope this brings in lots of new players, many times i resubbed or done the free week offers and didnt enjoy it at all as it was a ghost town unless you were high lvl :(
    Seriously it was like a dull single player rpg.

Dcully wrote: »
    As a past subscriber im guessing i will be the bog standard F2P player?
    Anything on the table for past subscribers?

I just hope this brings in lots of new players, many times i resubbed or done the free week offers and didnt enjoy it at all as it was a ghost town unless you were high lvl :(
    Seriously it was like a dull single player rpg.

Read the long post and it should tell you were you will fit in. Looks like best thing to do is to subscibe for a month and then stop as you dont lose your extras that you would have unlocked and can then purchase the quest hubs/expansions as you need them.

Still lots of people leveling in the lower areas but it is very solo friendly so you dont see that many pug groups until you get to the instances in Moria.

Do you remember Zalifer from GFF at all Cully? He popped in game out of the blue the other day after being away for about three years. He purchased the lifetime subscription and is back.

I remember him indeed Lister.
    Apparently past subscribers will have access to the free game from the 7th ie Tuesday.
    Ill install from my discs today,should be able to patch up to free version.
    Just grabbed the game box from the shelf here and its like a brand new game :)
    Lovely box with a nice chunky manual which is rare nowadays.
    I wonder can i play my characters on my account?

I remember him indeed Lister.
    Apparently past subscribers will have access to the free game from the 7th ie Tuesday.
    Ill install from my discs today,should be able to patch up to free version.
    Just grabbed the game box from the shelf here and its like a brand new game :)
    Lovely box with a nice chunky manual which is rare nowadays.
    I wonder can i play my characters on my account?

Your old characters should be there. Not sure where you got Sept 7th from? From what I have heard the 10th will be the start of F2P. I know in the US they are getting an early acess on the 8th but nothing has been confirmed by Codemasters if this will be the same for EU players so we have to assume that the 10th is go live date for F2P.

Your old characters should be there. Not sure where you got Sept 7th from? From what I have heard the 10th will be the start of F2P. I know in the US they are getting an early acess on the 8th but nothing has been confirmed by Codemasters if this will be the same for EU players so we have to assume that the 10th is go live date for F2P.

Yeah its the 10th, updating of client starts on 7th, voodoo extreme reported it as 7th but have since revised it to 10th.

Update has been delayed. Haven't been told what the problem is but they have to have it available in days rather then weeks....

• Advertisement

As a result, we have decided to delay launch to ensure that we can support the massive increase in players that we are anticipating and deliver them a Free to Play experience like none other."

They only figured this out a day before release having known about it for months:rolleyes:

That's hobbits for you.

They only figured this out a day before release having known about it for months:rolleyes:

Its live in the US altough I believe they are suffering from a number of bugs. The EU release is usually a week or so behind(as the text needs to be localised for Europe) but they have recently tried to sync up with the US. In the US they had a two day headstart for existing members which happened to highlight a numbers of problems and as codemasters hadnt done the same they have decided to delay the start until the problems are sorted.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/lotro-free-play-discussion-1330/425915-lord-rings-online-european-free-play-launch-delayed.html#post6449903
    Update

Hi folks,

Following our announcement on Wednesday regarding the delay of Free-to-Play in Europe, we can now provide you with a further update as to its status. It’s not good news I’m afraid. We are currently anticipating a delay of more than a week, potentially launching around the end of the month, and are still not in a position where we are able to confirm an exact date.

As you know, we were tracking a launch date of 10th September and up until recently thought this was still achievable; however, due to some major obstacles this date is simply not possible. Many of you have asked for a detailed explanation as to why this has come to be and why there wasn’t very much notice of the delay. Regarding the implementation challenges we talked about, the good news is that our Store and new servers are just about ready to roll, barring some final, live stress testing that needs to be performed.

We understand this is disappointing for you, more so because of our lack of communication in the earlier part of the week coupled with the last minute bad news. As the situation was changing literally from hour to hour, we weren’t in a position to tell you anything with any stability to it.

As we work to bring Free-to-Play to launch here, all eligible players will still continue to accrue loyalty rewards as per the rewards table on the website. We’re also laying on a bunch of your favourite live events on all servers starting next week and we’re introducing a community competition to allow you to take out your frustration on us and win some great prizes in doing so. We know this won’t substitute for the new Store and Enedwaith, but maybe it will make things a little more fun for you as you wait. Look out for announcements on all of these things within the next few days.

As always, thanks for your support and patience and a particular thank you to all of you who took the time to send us personal messages, those were awesome and really appreciated!

Looks like codemasters have opened up welcome back week and this will be for an extended period. Also an extended trial in operation to try to stop EU players opting for the US servers. Overall a very good time for new and returning players to come back....

With the trial you'd have unrestricted access to all of those areas, including the deeds, quests and instances in them. There is no leveling restriction, so you can get to level 50 if you want to, plus you should have 5 character slots and access to all classes except RK and Warden.

Only restrictions are on chat (can't use general chat or whisper to people who don't have you listed as a friend), mail / trade (can receive, but not give or send) and the AH (can buy but not post).

So with the extended practically unlimited trial players could get upto level 50 if they can play often enough.

Looks like codemasters have opened up welcome back week and this will be for an extended period. Also an extended trial in operation to try to stop EU players opting for the US servers. Overall a very good time for new and returning players to come back....

Cheers for the updates Lister, just looking at the launcher now its letting me log in.
    Shrewd move on their part.

Now to pick a class , i have a Hunter and Captain in their 30s a Minstrel @ 30 and Loremaster @ 25.

Let me know what char you are playing on Cully so I can keep an eye out for you. I think there are a couple of new classes since you last played...

1. Runekeeper- A bit of a glass cannon. Awesome dps but squishy especially when fighting multiple mobs

2. Warden - One of the complicated classes to play due to the use of the gambit system but would make a good main. Very good tanks and deal with multiple mobs well but sometimes need a head start to mantain agro.

Havent deiced yet.
    I popped on for 30mins lastnight and the place was a ghost town.
    Since its early days i might wait a while to play in the hope the population rises,im sure it will once it goes fully F2P.
    I know i can solo but when i like to play an mmo i like to have a busy game world full of other players for it to feel right to me [fussy bastard i know :) ]
    so probably best if i wait till things pick up.

Was on earlier today and quite a few people in the starter areas. But saying that it is very solo friendly and you are unlikley to see groups forming till the Moria instances which is 50+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Thats why I stopped again. I made it up to lvl 28 and it really felt like a solo rpg, few ppl around the lowbie areas and no groups forming. No chance of trying an instance :(
    Back to Aion. :P

Advertisement