Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you've been accepted into NUIM 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'm 24, Aengus your Student Union prez is 25, Funky Penguin (a mod on here) is also 24/25 - Maynooth has one of the best intakes of mature students every year. In my experience here age is literally zero boundary. One of my girlfriend's best friends is fifty - something.

I actually found being slightly older a great benefit in that I already had the "freedom and money so will get hammered every night and inhale my weight in drugs" teenager stuff out of my system. But honestly, age matters very little here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 titi

K4t wrote: »
    The ents officer will be living there I think....along with his entourage. Prepare for noise, and the craic:P

YES

AWESOME!!!!!!

Pat and his Merry Men. Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 titi

it seems i'm gonna be in the right spot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

banquo wrote: »
    IT IS BASICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO PAY YOUR REGISTEATION FEE TOO LATE

:D Thanks guys. I did hypothesize that since I couldn't find the due date anywhere on the site, they might be pretty lax about it, but I thought I'd better make sure just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 MBOS911

I did Law so any Qs about it ask away! :)

Hey thanks!! :) Jst wonderin wat exactly does d 1st year law coarse entail (alot of essays or wat?? ) lik I read d coarse content on d website bt wud lik ur opinion bein a student!! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

MBOS911 wrote: »
    I did Law so any Qs about it ask away! :)

Hey thanks!! :) Jst wonderin wat exactly does d 1st year law coarse entail (alot of essays or wat?? ) lik I read d coarse content on d website bt wud lik ur opinion bein a student!! :)

We only had one essay due per semester! And then some tutorial Qs.
    Workload wasn't awful, make sure you know your cases though! Well! Or you will be Sandeeped!
    Law was all about your own work and following up on class by researching the cases. I love it though and managed to get into Law BCL! :)

K4t and jpcarlow might have more to add if they're on

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Pat and his Merry Men. Good times.

went to secondary school with pat good friends with his brother ha he a craced chap! some man:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 3na

hey everybody, im going to maynooth as a mature student in sept...thinking of doing spanish, anthropology and either english or geography!!i think im going to go to all four for the first while to make my decision!does anybody know about tutorial times for these subjects yet? also anyone on here thinking of doing spanish with no prior knowledge of the language (like myself!)?! thanks guys

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

3na wrote: »
    hey everybody, im going to maynooth as a mature student in sept...thinking of doing spanish, anthropology and either english or geography!!i think im going to go to all four for the first while to make my decision!does anybody know about tutorial times for these subjects yet? also anyone on here thinking of doing spanish with no prior knowledge of the language (like myself!)?! thanks guys

Do you not need some basic Spanish before you can do it at college?

Tutorials can be at anytime, they'll put the times up on moodle and you sign up on a first come, first served basis. They're usually spread across the whole week so as long as you get there quick enough you should be able to pick nice times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bazza76dub

Mariabitch wrote: »
    anyone doin social science this year or livn in rye hall? :) ****tn it :P

I got accepted into that course, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I got into my diploma. hurrah!

now the house I rented for a year wont just be a place to go when I want to jam in Dublin with my band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I'm 24, Aengus your Student Union prez is 25, Funky Penguin (a mod on here) is also 24/25 - Maynooth has one of the best intakes of mature students every year. In my experience here age is literally zero boundary. One of my girlfriend's best friends is fifty - something.

I actually found being slightly older a great benefit in that I already had the "freedom and money so will get hammered every night and inhale my weight in drugs" teenager stuff out of my system. But honestly, age matters very little here :)

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 3na

hey!!no you can do beginners spanish starting from hola, buenas dias etc... theres two different classes in first year-beginners and advanced!!sure ill give it a shot,see how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 katie1992

Hi im Katie

Got accepted to Finance and Accounting! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Anyone interested in doing experimental physics (or physics with astrophysics) in first year can have a look at the guidelines on this page:

http://physics.nuim.ie/guidelines/index.shtml

It may be of help to some people, but as with anything like this it shouldn't be used for making any decisions regarding whether or not to take the subject, only going to the lectures and labs can tell you if you'll like it! It will however give you an idea of what you'll be covering and how things work :)

....and if anyone going into 4th year physics should see this post, then the 4th year guidelines are on that page too.

katie1992 wrote: »
    Hi im Katie

Got accepted to Finance and Accounting! :)

Welcome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bazza76dub

lemansky wrote: »
    Anyone interested in doing experimental physics (or physics with astrophysics) in first year can have a look at the guidelines on this page:

http://physics.nuim.ie/guidelines/index.shtml

It may be of help to some people, but as with anything like this it shouldn't be used for making any decisions regarding whether or not to take the subject, only going to the lectures and labs can tell you if you'll like it! It will however give you an idea of what you'll be covering and how things work :)

....and if anyone going into 4th year physics should see this post, then the 4th year guidelines are on that page too.

I am doing social studies. but man that Astro physics course looks cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

iWeeze wrote: »
    Hey hey, Richie, Multimedia, and missing Blink 182 for this HEAR launchpad or whatever so admire my committment please.

Hey finally another multimedia person!

Ms.Marvel wrote: »
    Howdy there, I'm Ericka and just accepted my offer from Maynooth, Multimedia. I'm looking forward to it but that traditional and entirely irrational fear of not making any friends looms. I'm the type of person who blunders into conversations, makes inappropriate jokes and forgets everyones name instantly. Not a great recipe for friendship.

I haven't a clue what to choose as my 2nd Arts module for 1st year, I'm caught between Maths or English. NUI keep telling me to do Maths because I did O level Maths but surely I can blunder my way through ? I would much rather do English, although it probably clashes abysmally with Multimedia. I know I'll end up making the absolute worst choice and just be that weird girl who smells of mint and Vaseline and cries in corners. Again, gigantic irrational fear looms.

So I guess the point to this rambling post is if anyone knows what Maths is like, if I do need to actually do it for the purposes of Multimedia or if I can pick whichever mod I wish. Thanks :p

Heyy! i'm in multimedia too! I emailed the course director about the maths thing,I did O level,but did quite well in it and she said it should be fine,plus I hate maths so I wouldn't be able to stick it!! ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 iWeeze

Heyy! i'm in multimedia too! I emailed the course director about the maths thing,I did O level,but did quite well in it and she said it should be fine,plus I hate maths so I wouldn't be able to stick it!! ha

How'd you do? I got an A2 so if I can avoid having to pick Maths with Multimedia I will! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Rafcam

I'm the same! I'm doing Music Technology and have to do 2 Arts subject as well and if you haven't done higher level Maths you're advised to take Maths. However I got an A2 in Ordinary and am hoping that'll be good enough as I'm not exactly a huge fan of Maths!

iWeeze wrote: »
    How'd you do? I got an A2 so if I can avoid having to pick Maths with Multimedia I will! :pac:

Yeah that's what I got too! ha I'm going to pm you exactly what she said, so you can make your mind up yourself instead of going by what I say ha So excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Kaaatelyn

bazza76dub wrote: »
    I got accepted into that course, can't wait!

Snap! :)

Mariabitch wrote: »
    anyone doin social science this year or livn in rye hall? :) ****tn it :P

I got into Social Science this year but I'm commuting for the moment unfortunatly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PadraigD

has every1 found accommodation?? there is basically nowhere available anymore, commutin is goin to suck big time

Kaaatelyn wrote: »
    I got into Social Science this year but I'm commuting for the moment unfortunatly!
    PadraigD wrote: »
    has every1 found accommodation?? there is basically nowhere available anymore, commutin is goin to suck big time

Yikes, how far are you guys gonna have to commute every day? That sucks. But some people might end up dropping out of college and you might find somewhere then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PadraigD

I'm facin an hr n half drive everyday for the moment, really need to find a place, rang loads of landlords n keep gettin the same answer.

Rafcam wrote: »
    Yikes, how far are you guys gonna have to commute every day? That sucks. But some people might end up dropping out of college and you might find somewhere then?

I only live in Naas so its not too bad! Theres a good few buses and it's only about a 40 minute drive!

• Advertisement

Sheesh, that's rather ick! You guys are gonna have an early start every day :( You should ring about accommodation every now and again to see if anyone's left or anything.

Advertisement