Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Guard (Irish film with Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Last 3 posts moved from Film Reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

I was delighted with it, I thought it was a great laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

By and large, some good laughs. A bit corny in places but you'd expect that. Loved the kid but the storyline with the mother was, for me, a bit out of place.

Not sure why but I thought that the scene where
    Pat Shortt went to the back of the VW for the boot rather than the front
    was a mistake that was left in because it worked (a bit like when Johnny the Lips fell off the Honda 50 in The Commitments).

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

A massive disappointment, I tittered here and there, but didn’t laugh.

The writing tried way too hard to be sophisticated and postmodern where the drug barons talk about Nietzsche for no real reason or where one of them (the English guy) berates two bagmen for counting money. But it’s utterly pointless.

Other bits of the film didn't add up or didn’t have any pay-off for example, what was the point of having the Croatian girl in the film? She added nothing to the story. What was the whole marriage thing about? Why was she even upset if it was a marriage of convenience? Why tell the audience that the cop was gay? What was the point of the weapons cache? How did the little kid find them? What was the point of having the IRA in the film other than to have a cheap gag about MI5, which, by the way, noone at the screening I saw laughed at?

I’m flummoxed how this film is getting brilliant reviews. Brendan Gleeson is on autopilot and nobody else stands out, with the exception of Don Cheadle, who is excellent as always. In Bruges was a masterpiece compared to this muck. 4/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah can't say I was too fond of it either. It was pretty up itself at the best of times, having pretentions the writer/director was unable to live up too. For every funny moment, there was a ludicrously pointless subplot - especially the romantic one which was beyond a joke.

I liked the ending was fun, but overall a mediocre film that thinks its far better than it is. And actually thought Cheadle was pretty bland in it - doing his best with a limited role, I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I'm just back now from the film, brilliant! I thought Brendan Gleeson stole the show. Some great classic one liners-
    Don Cheadle - "Do you want to see a photo of my baby?"
    Brendan Gleeson - "No, I don't want to see it!"

Criminal 1 - "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a sociopath. They told me that in Mountjoy."

Criminal 2 - "What's the difference?"

Criminal 1 - "I don't know!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Exactly what I want, to read the one liners on the internet before I see the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pointless, pointless film, Liam Cunningham and Mark Strong did good jobs, Don Cheadle was doing his best playing out of position. Brendan Gleeson had some horrible dialogue but he didn't look like he was arsed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well acted (particularly Cheadle, Cunningham and Strong)
    Some of the dialogue was a bit laboured (mainly Gleeson's).

Good fun, though - really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Great stuff if you have managed to avoid the trailer (as I did) but on seeing it (the trailer) today, I can imagine that it somewhat spoiled some of the best parts. Would like to have seen more of Fionnula Flanagan in it, as her character was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I honestly think that people need to lighten up.
    Personally, I thought the film was funny, mostly well written
    (if it came across as pretentious, it's because that's the way the McDonaghs write) and well acted all round.

What is wrong with you people?......I could understand if it was completely shíte, but to crap all over a half decent Irish film like that is terrible.

Support the Irish film industry, go see this film and don't listen to the moaners on here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I honestly think that people need to lighten up.
    Personally, I thought the film was funny, mostly well written
    (if it came across as pretentious, it's because that's the way the McDonaghs write) and well acted all round.

What is wrong with you people?......I could understand if it was completely shÃ*te, but to crap all over a half decent Irish film like that is terrible.

Support the Irish film industry, go see this film and don't listen to the moaners on here.

It also seems unfair to let it get away with murder simply because it's Irish :)

No one said it was awful (oh, one person did) just arguing that we didn't think it was as great as others said. Sensible discourse is only to be encouraged, and yes support independent cinema by all means. But I'm not going to ignore the often crippling flaws of the Guard simply because there's a couple of chuckles and some good ideas. And it's all just opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Yeah can't say I was too fond of it either. It was pretty up itself at the best of times, having pretentions the writer/director was unable to live up too. For every funny moment, there was a ludicrously pointless subplot - especially the romantic one which was beyond a joke.

I liked the ending was fun, but overall a mediocre film that thinks its far better than it is. And actually thought Cheadle was pretty bland in it - doing his best with a limited role, I guess!

Yeah, you clearly weren't tearing into the film at all, apologies. :pac:

I think that because it is Irish you are all far more inclined to look negatively upon it, self loathing Irish and all that.
    Maybe it's the mentality of people when going in to see Irish films or something,
    that they don't even give the film a chance and pick at every single thing they see any slight flaw with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

I thought this was excellent. Laughed pretty much the whole way through it. Saying that, some of the sub-plots were pointless and remained unresolved. But for comedies, errors like that generally don't bother me. Perhaps I'm just easy to please, but I would definitely recommend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

saw it tonight, had a nice few laughs up the back of the cinema so we did :D

jesus it was weird seeing such a strong cast in an irish film, cheadle and strong in particular, strong was halarious, loved the scene
    where the guards asked him if all the money was there:D

go see it for a bit of fun, :)

Yeah, you clearly weren't tearing into the film at all, apologies. :pac:

I think that because it is Irish you are all far more inclined to look negatively upon it, self loathing Irish and all that.
    Maybe it's the mentality of people when going in to see Irish films or something,
    that they don't even give the film a chance and pick at every single thing they see any slight flaw with.

Only reason I'm critical of films like this is because I want them to do better and improve. Like any film, I think Irish ones should be open to criticism. And yes, there is good about the Guard (check out my review in film reviews for a more detailed look at it) but I also thought the fact that 20-30% of the running time was occupied by subplots that went nowhere is the kind of thing that really needs to be pointed out to have an objective opinion of the film.

Similar to Snap recently, there's tonnes of promise let down by significant missteps from the writer/director. These are people with talent, but they're only to be encouraged into creating the really really good films they have the ability to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Best Irish Comedy Film since "The Snapper". I have not laugh so much in a Cinema since then. Brendan Gleeson play the role brilliantly. Don Cheadle was great and the Kid on the Bike with the Dog was best bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Really enjoyed this film. Funny, a lot of us laughing at ourselves and some good acting.
    Thought it was entertaining and most of the packed cinema I was in seemed to have a good laugh at it.
    Gleeson was very good.

What is wrong with you people?......I could understand if it was completely shíte, but to crap all over a half decent Irish film like that is terrible.

Calling the film “muck” was going overboard on my behalf, but the ridiculous critical reaction given to the film bugs the hell out of me. The film isn’t as bad as ‘Flight of the Doves’ or ‘Eat the Peach’, but isn’t anywhere near as good as ‘In Bruges’ or ‘Garage’.

According to the poster, it’s got a five star write-up on Empire magazine (its review in the magazine itself pending). After seeing the poster, the cast and the crew involved in the film, my expectations were up there with the latter films and those expectations weren’t met. On paper, this should be an excellent movie, but instead, considering the talent involved, it's below average.

Johnny Ultimate has politely outlined everything else I feel with regards to criticising an Irish film. Unless you can prove to me I’m wrong about the flaws I’ve outlined in the film (and I’ll back paddle like nobodies business if I feel you’re right) then my opinion of the film still stands.

Calling the film “muck” was going overboard on my behalf, but the ridiculous critical reaction given to the film bugs the hell out of me. The film isn’t as bad as ‘Flight of the Doves’ or ‘Eat the Peach’, but isn’t anywhere near as good as ‘In Bruges’ or ‘Garage’.

According to the poster, it’s got a five star write-up on Empire magazine (its review in the magazine itself pending). After seeing the poster, the cast and the crew involved in the film, my expectations were up there with the latter films and those expectations weren’t met. On paper, this should be an excellent movie, but instead, considering the talent involved, it's below average.

Johnny Ultimate has politely outlined everything else I feel with regards to criticising an Irish film. Unless you can prove to me I’m wrong about the flaws I’ve outlined in the film (and I’ll back paddle like nobodies business if I feel you’re right) then my opinion of the film still stands.
    The film reviews forum is a couple of forums over.
    If you want to pick out all the nitty gritty things that annoy you about the film then I'd suggest a formal review may be more apt.
    To the majority of people that will watch this film, the main aim is to watch it and be entertained. That is the main aim of many films and to be honest this one hits all the buttons for the majority of the people that watched it.
    That's not to say some people won't like the film.
    Calling the film "Below average" is having no appreciation for the amount of films that are released on a weekly basis and the quality of them.....

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Calling the film "Below average" is having no appreciation for the amount of films that are released on a weekly basis and the quality of them.....

I'm not making a comparison between this film and other films out there, just that for the cast and crew invloved, it is below average.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

wow this sounds like it's turning out to be more divisive than The Fountain! :pac:

I must point out that if you dont want to hear alternate opinions on a film maybe this board isn't for you.

Because this is the joy of discussing cinema - difference of opinion. If that is ignored then what's the point in talking about it? yes The guard is better than your typical Hollywood junk but that doesn't mean everyone has to love it. Indeed, i can name at least two films currently in cinemas that in my opinion are far more worthy of attention.

Sensible criticism is always encouraged here. To see people shot down for that is a damn shame. The people who weren't enamored by the guard here are numerous. To suggest that we should just shut up and take it elsewhere is entirely missing the point of this here film discussion board.

I must point out that if you dont want to hear alternate opinions on a film maybe this board isn't for you.

Because this is the joy of discussing cinema - difference of opinion. If that is ignored then what's the point in talking about it? yes The guard is better than your typical Hollywood junk but that doesn't mean everyone has to love it. Indeed, i can name at least two films currently in cinemas that in my opinion are far more worthy of attention.

Sensible criticism is always encouraged here. To see people shot down for that is a damn shame. The people who weren't enamored by the guard here are numerous. To suggest that we should just shut up and take it elsewhere is entirely missing the point of this here film discussion board.

Apologies,
    However one has to look at the bigger picture as far as I am concerned.
    This is an irish film (and yes, I believe this is a good reason to look on it with rose tinted classes) filmed in a lovely part of Ireland providing employment for a number of months of the year and a great buzz about the place during the time which it was filmed and again this week during its premiere here in Galway.
    We need more films like this shot in Ireland - the more the merrier. In my opinion this is a highly entertaining film - year, its not a Schindlers List (insert whatever film you love here) but its got a massive shaking of Ireland all over it - which in my opinion can only be a good thing - especially, when you compare it with some of the films that are released on a weekly basis.
    Apolgies for offending anyone but I do sincerely believe that we have to look more positively on films that have been shot here and have provided people with much needed money during the shooting of it.

I dont disagree with you entirely - you're talking to someone who wants to get involved in the production industry here. Film in Ireland is only to be encouraged.

But as an audience we need to demand greatness. If we simply look at Irish film through rose tinted glasses we ain't doing them any favours :)

I dont disagree with you entirely - you're talking to someone who wants to get involved in the production industry here. Film in Ireland is only to be encouraged.

But as an audience we need to demand greatness. If we simply look at Irish film through rose tinted glasses we ain't doing them any favours :)

Greatness is different things to different people, I think we've established that on this thread. ;)

I don't think the film was a complete turkey, and I doubt anyone here would say that it was, there fore it needs to be given a bit more credit - in my humble opinion.
    If you compare it to the standard of film that comes to the cinema, as opposed to the standards you expected based on the people involved, its above average - again in my opinion.

I'd like to see a lot more films made here and I firmly believe that these type of films, while not perfect, will lead to better and better films being made here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

There are some great Irish movies, this isn't one of them. It does have some wacky "lol" bits but I'd see it nothing more than an easy way to kill 90mins of your time, instantly forgettable otherwise (IMHO).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Favourite part-
    "Fuck off to America with your "appropriate", fucking Barrack Obama"

Least favourite part-
    At the end before the shootout, when Boyle says farewell to McBrides wife. "Sorry i didn't get to know you better" suggesting there could have been a romantic link between the pair of them, completely unnecessary.

Overall I really enjoyed it, a solid 4/5. Not surprised to find people slating it though, saying it's sh1te because it's not great is hardly a fair review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Saw it last night with some friends. Not bad at all, I thought. Gleeson reminded me of almost every guard I've ever met, in or out of Galway. One of the folks I went with had a guard for a father and another is a guard, and there were a lot of knowing smiles and chuckles from them at the film. I don't know if it was intentional or not but there was a lot of truth in Gerry Boyle...

I'd recommend giving it a go. It's not going to change the world, but it's a solid, entertaining piece of work. Certainly one of the better Irish films I've seen. And one of the least annoying times I've seen Pat Shortt on screen to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Saw it yesterday and I really enjoyed it,loved Gleeson and Cheadle's performances and Liam Cunningham was great too,Gleeson's character was right on the money,I've known one or two small town guards that were pretty much Sgt.Gerry Boyle.

Some great one liner's and culchyism's from Gleeson that I won't bother writing here cos it won't sound half as funny as it did in the film.

Definitely recommend everybody to go and see it!

Advertisement