Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Guard (Irish film with Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle)

Options
  • 21-08-2010 12:55am
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone heard about this film The Guard. It's out next year, was filmed in Connemara and stars Brenadan Gleeson as the titular Guard(Garda) who is teamed up with Don Ceadle's FBI agent to investigate a drug ring in the wesht. This could be so good if it's done right or it could just be the usual cliche's and stereotypes pandering the the US market. Fingers crossed though! :)

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1540133/

Comments

Gardai are walking stereotypes. And so are people from the west of Ireland :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Gardai are walking stereotypes. And so are people from the west of Ireland :)

You from Dublin? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Don Cheadle...miserable whining bastard in every movie I've ever seen him in.

Brendan Gleeson...really cool actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Dermighty wrote: »
    Don Cheadle...miserable whining bastard in every movie I've ever seen him in.

Brendan Gleeson...really cool actor.
    very true..

Not entirely optimistic about this, the plot from imdb does not help:
    "An unorthodox Irish policeman with a confrontational personality is teamed up with an uptight FBI agent to investigate an international drug-smuggling ring."
    Sounds like every half assed cop movie in history.. (as well as some not so half assed :o)

..and Mark Strong is in it, what are the chances he's the (English) leader of the drug smuggling gang?:rolleyes:

Still, I hope my scepticism is unfounded Brandan Gleeson ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Not the bets review (style/content wise) bit sounds like it could be good.
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48190

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

guard.jpg

Yep, this is one I'm very much looking forward to. Every lead role Brendan Gleeson has been in, film or television, he has been excellent, even in utter dross such as 'The Tigers Tail'. I hope he someday finds his 'Silence of the Lambs' like Anthony Hopkins, who had been around for years, but really hit it bigtime after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,379 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is being shown at the Sundance Film Festival

• Registered Users Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Got a good review over on AICN.Could be worth checking out,I like Gleeson.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48192

Different review from the one posted earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

A film with Brendan Gleeson, Don Cheadle and Mark Strong?

Yes please!!!

Thanks for the heads up OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Any release date? Cant seem to see one?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Soby wrote: »
    Any release date? Cant seem to see one?
    Nope, it'll be on the Facebook page when it's announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Gleeson really is the best actor to come out of Ireland, IMO. His mannerisms are just so believable. With a lot of other actors, you just know they are acting, if you know what I mean. They don't seem like everyday people you would meet, they come off slightly contrived.

Gleeson just seems so natural and real life. Even that picture of him above, he looks exactly like a guard should. Not all pretty boy handsome, just world weary and weather beaten.
    Well done that man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Some of this was shot mere hundreds of metres of where I live. Interesting to see how my charming little hamlet will look on the silver screens with the mewvie starrs etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

basquille wrote: »
    Ha, that looks brilliant. Is it supposed to be a comedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This looks really good, hope it's a comedy. That clip is comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

good clip , hope its not the best scene though !!! will have to check this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

any new links.that ones gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Depending on who's distributing it, this could easily turn up at the Dublin Film Festival.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Depending on who's distributing it, this could easily turn up at the Dublin Film Festival.

I reckon they'll show it. We'll know later today when the programme is launched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Took this link to the trailer from the Emergency Services forum, thanks to redsurfer for finding it. Released on the 8th of July.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0516/theguard.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

LOL, this looks like a classic in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 marclechef

The Guard will be premiering 6th of July in Ireland and will be screening at edinburgh next month

My Brothers' & 'The Guard' Join Edinburgh Film Festival Lineup

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks pretty good i have to say!! Seems like its been ages since there was an Irish movie with international appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

anyone know how to get tickets to the premiere :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've been waiting for news on this and will be watching it when it comes out but, good gravy, that trailer doesn't seem to do it great justice.

One thing that got me straight away was when Gleeson said to Cheadle:

Gleeson: "I only thought black people were drug dealers...."

*cue Cheadle's mouth opening*

Gleeson: ".....and Mexicans"

*exact same footage of Cheadle opening mouth*

Tiny gripe but can't wait to see it. Can't go wrong with Gleeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

A new Web-only version of the trailer just went up today....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Why the fup did Don Cheadle lower himself?. The man is an epic actor that is way above pay day jobs like "The Guard". Mildly entertaining scheisse, nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why the fup did Don Cheadle lower himself?. The man is an epic actor that is way above pay day jobs like "The Guard". Mildly entertaining scheisse, nothing more.

Entirely agreeable. As much as I enjoyed the guard, I found that Don Cheadle was its redeeming grace, without him it would have fallen flat, and one would have to wonder at its credibility without said actor. Truth, its no intermission, not even close, though the presence of "oscar" does redeem it somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Entirely agreeable. As much as I enjoyed the guard, I found that Don Cheadle was its redeeming grace, without him it would have fallen flat, and one would have to wonder at its credibility without said actor. Truth, its no intermission, not even close, though the presence of "oscar" does redeem it somewhat.

I thought Gleeson was lazy in his role and the usual suspects got sweet pay checks. After seeing it the only one besides Don Cheadle that deserves praise is Liam Cunningham.

Advertisement