Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's Best Countries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I just want to live somewhere free from the dated monetary system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I cycled to work and left the car at home :)

That's more than I've done in fairness. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'm surprised that Ireland is in the top 20! Not surprised that Finland and other scandinavian countries are near the very top!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the weather over there is better I'd argue, warmer in the summer and more certain in the winter. Snow is predictable and its not raining every 12 hours :)

obviously not been to norway :D; norway makes ireland seem like the gobi desert in terms of rainfall

in oslo it rains 232 days in the year (139 in dublin), bergen dubbed the rainiest city in europe has 250 days of rain, in helsinki for 170 days of the year it is below freezing, 128 days in oslo

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

If Norway is so good, then why are so many of them moving and retiring to the Mediteranean coast of Spain?

Ireland would be a brilliant place if we could have a roof and bouncers at the door.

P.S.
    I also think politicians should have to do a masters degree before they can be appointed as ministers, and be on bench-marked salaries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I fail to understand how Ireland always does well in these. I mean we have a health system that doesn't really work, a fairly poor outdated education system, **** all infrastructure worth talking about, high suicide rates, **** weather, awful public transport, massive massive corruption at all levels of government, everything is overpriced, huge substance abuse problems, knackers everywhere, high unemployment, poorly maintained forestry and countryside...

There's a lot of crap countries out there that we couldn't even imagine the level of poverty, corruption and general lawness that exists. eg Papua New Guinea.

Irish people need perspective. It's grand to want better but for us it'll never be satisfactory or good enough. Worst still the problems that exist don't become a motivating factor for improvement either. They just become a topic to complain about because we're born some false idea of entitlement. Besides, even if all your above problems were eradicated here people would still be complaining that there wasn't somebody there to wipe their arse after they take a shít.

I'm glad I was born in one of the better countries in the world and don't have to put up with the daily crap that 90% of the worlds population do by virtue of nothing other than their birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

NoHornJan wrote: »
    If Norway is so good, then why are so many of them moving and retiring to the Mediteranean coast of Spain?

Cos the novelty of making snowmen wears off once you're 65.

Ireland would be a brilliant place if we could have a roof and bouncers at the door.

P.S.
    I also think politicians should have to do a masters degree before they can be appointed as ministers, and be on bench-marked salaries.

Might be an idea if they could do some kind of entrance Ministry exam before being appointed as ministers! Surely they need do some kind of aptitude test to become one!?

Pal wrote: »
    Finland No 1

Hard to take this survey seriously.

I've been to Finland and its a kip.

what finland did you visit?? really good country, outside the tons of snow and stupidly freezing temperatures they get in winter, i can just imagine if we got anything like that weather here :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Finland is best....FOR ME TO POOP ON!

• Advertisement

I hear Sweden would nearly be better than Finland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

dlofnep wrote: »
    Cos the novelty of making snowmen wears off once you're 65.

Liar! You lie!

Now where did I leave my 12" carrot?

If Norway is so good, then why are so many of them moving and retiring to the Mediteranean coast of Spain?.

same reason people from the northern us states and canadians are moving and retiring to places like nevada and arizona, my uncle moved from nyc to southern texas because he hated the weather in new york in winter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

I fail to understand how Ireland always does well in these. I mean we have a health system that doesn't really work, a fairly poor outdated education system, **** all infrastructure worth talking about, high suicide rates, **** weather, awful public transport, massive massive corruption at all levels of government, everything is overpriced, huge substance abuse problems, knackers everywhere, high unemployment, poorly maintained forestry and countryside...

EDIT since people are not going to read past this anyway seemingly, my post from further down

"clearly Ireland is better than many many countries, but not in the top 20 by any stretch of the imagination "

I don't think it's beyond belief. The grass always seems greener.

I mean I don't think any country ever goes "Right, there is is our health system... perfect in every way".

We all have our problems, Ireland isn't as bad as people recon.

I live in the States and I was shocked at the quality of life and living in a lot of "decent" areas, healthcare is a joke, i.e. if your not rich, good luck to ya! People and services are very unhelpful and misleading, my experience with tax laws here would not be tolerated in Ireland.

As bad as public transport seems at home its all relative.

If you live in New York there's 3 buses every 10 seconds. Then again if you live in Dublin City center there's busses everywhere too. If you want to get in and out of the city from the country, yeah, it's ****... but imagine how much worse it is here on a bigger scale and there's f*ck all transport, I recently found out Taxi's don't even operate in residential areas of New Jersey when I enquired why so many people drink and drive home...

I was able to afford to rent a 4 bedroom beautiful house on the outskirts of town in a lovely area before I left.... Now, for 3 times the rent I can afford a 2 room ground floor apartment.

I mean yeah, the current economic climate is crap... think we're the only country? I could be SO much worse than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Someone please tell me how Belgium and Austria are behind Ireland because that doesn't make any sense? :confused:

Someone please tell me how Belgium and Austria are behind Ireland because that doesn't make any sense? :confused:

Yes that does not make sense, they have a better standard of living I say and are more cost effective and efficient in comparison to irish paddy soil here!

Yes that does not make sense, they have a better standard of living I say and are more cost effective and efficient in comparison to irish paddy soil here!

Preach it my Kerry brother from anotha mother!

Preach it my Kerry brother from anotha mother!

eh I'm a girl so that should be "sista"! Thanks anyway!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

1.iceland
    2.norway
    3.austrailia
    4.canada
    5.ireland

eh I'm a girl so that should be "sista"! Thanks anyway!!:cool:

Preach it my Kerry sista from anotha mista! ;)

• Advertisement

1.iceland
    2.norway
    3.austrailia
    4.canada
    5.ireland

Why is ireland number 5? The netherlands should at least be number 5 or near enough with there hippy open and happy lives that they live!

Why is ireland number 5? The netherlands should at least be number 5 or near enough with there hippy open and happy lives that they live!

i agree netherland was number 9 should be 1 and ireland 2

have you ever been to belgium?worst country in europe without a doubt:confused:

No never been there. Only to France and Spain, US and the UK. Have known family members who have been to Belgium. They thought it was ok. Have a friend who has a scandinavian background I know of relations who have family living in the netherlands.

Yes Ive been to Leuven and Brussells and even though the country is incredibly boring, you can't deny that the standard of living there is far beyond what we enjoy in this country, have you been to Belgium??

Yes Ive been to Leuven and Brussells and even though the country is incredibly boring, you can't deny that the standard of living there is far beyond what we enjoy in this country, have you been to Belgium??

No never been there (Belgium) but know of people who have.

yes granted i was only there for 5 day's i was in brussels and could not wait to get home.and according to all the graphs i am reading on the internet no belgium does not have a higher stantard of living

No never been there (Belgium) but know of people who have.

haha dont worry, no i was replying to saywhatyousee guy but I was also in Vienna so I know that these two countries are better than Ireland from experience :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You're having a laugh?! I worked in Holland for a year and a more miserable bunch of feckers I've yet to meet. When the sun came out it was very pleasant, but sod all to do otherwise. No wonder you meet so many Dutch people in Ireland.

They don't call them the Low Countries for nothing :pac:

• Advertisement

haha dont worry, no i was replying to saywhatyousee guy but I was also in Vienna so I know that these two countries are better than Ireland from experience :)

Sorry misread that message!:o

Advertisement