Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely Devastated with today

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What is it that you would like to study?
    LC2010HIS wrote: »
    anyone else here the same?
    got 320 :( and i am NOT happy. as youve seen ive been asking about repeating here all summer. but nothing could prepare me for the shock of 320 :mad: i passed maths which i was delighted with, however when i calculated, i was devastated. im sure, 320 is great for some. dont get me wrong. but its not enough for my choices .......now i dunno what to do with myself.
    Repeat?
    Take a level 7 and more than likely drop out?
    PLC?
    Keep going with cadet comp?
    Mature student?

i feel like the only one in the country that has failed? and ive lied to my friends on top of it. how sad !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

ugh had a good cry.:rolleyes:

Erm, there, there.

w_toro_blk.jpg

...but seriously, I refer you to my post on page 3. You might feel a bit better! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

enda1 wrote: »
    What a pile of nonsense (the bit in bold).
    By that logic there's no point in trying in any walk of life.

OP. Grin and bear it.
    See how the CAO works out for you then depending:
    keep foreign options in mind,
    consider waiting for one year and reapplying to CAO with same results,
    or repeat.

These are your options if you wish to keep doing the Level 8 degree course you had in mind.

But don't take the attitude of that quoted poster.
    If you could have done better and should have done better then I'm sorry for you but you realise your not reaching your potential so you should do something about it if it means enough to you, i.e. repeat.

I would have to disagree. Looking back over my own life,I can testify it. there are many times when the path which unfolds in front of you may seem unfair, but in a lot of instances it can lead you somewhere where you're far more happy and content.

yungwan wrote: »
    There are many people who did not do well in exams but are amongst the most intellignet and successful in the world.

In a nutshell. There are many (myself included) who (used to in my case) dread an exam hall. however, I am very good at what I do (or so i'm told) despite this. Conversely, there are many who can hack it in the exam hall, but cannot apply themselves hands on in their chosen field.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

nursing or the arts.
    fat chance.

my teachers are prob wondering wat happened. and so am i!!

:(

Well if your interested in nursing, why don't you do a pre-nursing course (level 7) and then go onto your nursing course. It's only an extra year, and it's something your interested in! My friend from college did a pre-nursing course because she didnt get her points and now shes in NUIG studying general nursing! :) Its not the end of the world, and you will get to where you want to be if you think about the choices you have and which of them suits you best, be it a pre nursing course or repeating! Hope you cheer up soon :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

yes it is! my perception on everything is questionable.
    my atitude towards people in my year. such as, assuming id do better then the class clown...he got 500
    i assumed i was gonna be great and go to uni.
    now what.........i have to repeat :mad:

some people glide through. and so far - im not one of um

The class clown???? eh have you seen the points for clown college??
    I got a D- in riding a unicycle and F in pie throwing. dont even talk to me about that balloon animal test either!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

Ah, its not the end of the world!

Dont worry.. There is always something else,
    It will fall into place.!
    Just have a good time tonight and dont panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

got 320 :( and i am NOT happy. as youve seen ive been asking about repeating here all summer. but nothing could prepare me for the shock of 320 :mad: i passed maths which i was delighted with, however when i calculated, i was devastated. im sure, 320 is great for some. dont get me wrong. but its not enough for my choices .......now i dunno what to do with myself.
    Repeat?
    PLC?
    Mature student?

i feel like the only one in the country that has failed? and ive lied to my friends on top of it. how sad !

LC2010, you sound like a really emotionally honest and straightforward person. (Despite the white lies to your friends, completely understandable)

Take on board all that's posted here about viewing scripts, talking to your teachers, but then, take on board this:

You need time to cry. Nothing wrong with that. You are grieving the loss of a dream, and saying goodbye to a vision of yourself that you had. Mind you, with future success//repeats etc. that vision will change for the better, but that is no use to you today

Take time to deal with your sadness. As the days pass you will be too busy sorting out Plan B to care. And next year today will be forgotten. But right now, don't feel you have to celebrate at all costs, or grin and jump up and down with the 500 pointers. Why should you?---(Keep away from that Class Clown guy you mentioned, at all costs).

Of course you are not the only one who did badly by their own estimation, but that is not how it feels. Joy is a communal feeling, but everyone's sadness and disappointment is their own lonely, once-off isolation. No use telling you how happy others are with 320 points. You are crushed.

Today will pass. And life will be great again. Just try to get through today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

Repeat?
    PLC?
    Mature student?

320 is very good - well done.
    But i understand. Some of my students were in bits today. The 'A' students got Bs and the ones who didn't work passed - i'm so angry! You did well!! But worth viewing ur scripts to chech the marking mistakes do happen so don't panic too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

unknown13 wrote: »
    I am also gutted. I didn't get what I needed and I now have to send in 3 appeals.

If it's any consolation many of the best students in my school were devastated too. It's a tough day but tomorrow you'll be able to think more clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

This is not a happy thread (to say the least)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When you get into the course, you'll find that no-one really cares about how many points you got, and those that do can be ignored.

You don't state what course you are trying to get into, so you'll have to do the following yourself:

Ring the college, state that you still want to do the course, and if you can do a PLC to help you gain entrance. Most courses have such back doors.

The maths thing, I'm not sure about. Some courses will need a C2 or so in maths, but this will be in the colleges prospective.

Finally, if your mates shun you over points, they're all tards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

LC2010, you sound like a really emotionally honest and straightforward person. (Despite the white lies to your friends, completely understandable)

Take on board all that's posted here about viewing scripts, talking to your teachers, but then, take on board this:

You need time to cry. Nothing wrong with that. You are grieving the loss of a dream, and saying goodbye to a vision of yourself that you had. Mind you, with future success//repeats etc. that vision will change for the better, but that is no use to you today

Take time to deal with your sadness. As the days pass you will be too busy sorting out Plan B to care. And next year today will be forgotten. But right now, don't feel you have to celebrate at all costs, or grin and jump up and down with the 500 pointers. Why should you?---(Keep away from that Class Clown guy you mentioned, at all costs).

Of course you are not the only one who did badly by their own estimation, but that is not how it feels. Joy is a communal feeling, but everyone's sadness and disappointment is their own lonely, once-off isolation. No use telling you how happy others are with 320 points. You are crushed.

Today will pass. And life will be great again. Just try to get through today.

hey
    thanks. i felt ashamed and my friends are VERY competitive ...everyday this year, while in class, they calculated points and went on how they were getting this, that and the other.they gave me stress.
    and of course, they shoot. they score.

im not sure what to do. repeating seems horrible. i was very stressed this year but then again, our year, again, were VERY competitive!

kinda said id go out 2nyt, dnt want to give um something to say....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

All I can say OP is that you're not alone. I'm sure there are a lot of people disappointed/upset right now and right now you feel you're in a desperate situation.

But you're not. Ok, you may not have gotten what you wanted but from here you can pick yourself up and go again.

Wait until Monday and after that assess your options from there.

A friend of mine was quite depressed after her results. She didn't get what she wanted but she talked to the guidance counsellor who advised her to do a PLC in her preferred area of study. She did that and went on to Trinity after that.

All I can say is chin up and you'll realise the hole you think you're in isn't actually that deep at all.

Positive song time:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

repeat if you arent happy. I did and it was the best choice i could have made. you know what to expect now so there wont be that fear. believe me, 1 year doesnt make a difference in the long run and the happiness and peace of mind after is more then worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nevin10

Oh dear. Not a good day? You poor pet.

As someone who would've been perceived to have been studious and high achieving, i dropped out of school in March of my leaving cert year (much to the my peers and teachers bewilderment), repeated, didnt get my first choice (thank god! I would've hated it), went on to be happy and healthly and academically successful. You probably wont take it (i probably wouldnt of) but here is some advice:

Breathe. So life didnt go exactly to plan, you got thrown a hurdle. You can prove yourself not from your results, but how you react to your results. If friends ask you hold your head high and say, 'I'm quite disappointed actually, but i'm going to figure it out'. I wouldnt let this disrupt the dreams and ambitions you have for yourself. You can wallow in self pity, regret and woe, or you can to quote my dad 'swallow the blood and keep on boxing'.

Get on your glad rags, put on a smile, have a drink and enjoy yourself. Staying in isnt going to change anything, your only gonna miss whats bound to be a great session. Keep the faith that it will work out. It always does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It's far from the end of the world. In fact, sometimes it's even a positive. Back when I did the LC I was hoping for results somewhere mid-400s. I got 295 points, thank $god.

I realise now that if I had done better in points terms, I would have gotten onto a course which would have been completely unsuited to me, and I would have ended up either failing it, or worse, passing and moving on to a career in something I wasn't into.

Instead, I ended up doing something I wasn't sure about and had very little experience with (computers).

It turned out to be the best failure ever, and I was happy as pig in sh mud. In fact, I was averaging 90-100% in programming subjects, and I was first in my class a couple of years later.

Another few years later and now I'm running my own business.

In the immortal words of Douglas Adams:

DON'T PANIC

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

I sat my Leaving years ago & missed the my preferred course in a University by 10 points. Like many of you, I was devasted. Rechecked some of my papers but it didnt make any difference.

After alot of consideration re repeating, I ended up doing a similar course in an IT. IIRC, you also have an opportunity to switch to a university if your IT results are good enough after 2 years and depending on the course.

Since then I've also got my Masters & some professional exams & have a good job. In comparison, alot of people who got much better leaving certs results, failed first year exams, didnt like their dream course after all.

I would only really advise repeat if you:
    (a) Are absolutely certain that your preferred course is 100% the one you want, you've researched it, talk to people who've done the course and work in the industry etc & are certain that no other course will give you the same end result and lead you to the same or similar job.

(b) You know you took it very easy this year and are capable of alot more and genuinely want to resit.

Apart from the next few wks, or a few select course or jobs, you will never be asked what points you got in the leaving again.

While you may be devasted now, your results will be old news in a couple of days. There are many ways of getting to where you want to go & often times, the quickest route is not always the most enjoyable or the best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

Today is not the day to panic about it. Go out - enjoy a night out - you have worked hard over the past number of years and at the end of the day you have still got loads of options. The points you got today are only a number and if you feel passionately about doing the course of your choice there are still many ways to do it. I only got an E1 in Accounting in my LC eventhough my dream was to be an accountant. The mocks went great and I got a A2 but I just blanked on the LC paper. I didnt get enough points to do the course I wanted in what was then the DIT in Rathmines.... so after many days of thinking and a lot of tears I decided to do a PLC Accounting Technician course in Rathmines Senior College (directly across the road from the DIT). I could have repeated the LC but decided that I was far better off doing the PLC than hedging my bets on getting the points the second year round. I did 2 years on the course and then transferred into the 2nd year of the Accounting course that I had originally set my heart on. I was one year behind where I should have been had I have got the points that I needed originally. It served me well because in the two years on the PLC course i appreciated the need to work hard to get the results that I wanted. OP - dont panic today.... things will look clearer over the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

you largely get what you put into leaving cert. Reapeat and work harder if you really want to do something that has higher points requirements. Points are only a means to an end. Theres nearly always alternative ways to become what you want in life. Focus on whats important to you not thos getting 500+ points. Forget about things like making money or having a prestigeous title, what will really make you happy to work as for the next ten,twenty thirty years? See what options are availbe to you with points you have and pursue you true calling. Ignore the crowd, the crowd is untruth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Op I really really feel your pain. I was you 13 years ago. I was inconsolable over my points in the LC, they were near enough to what you got, but considering the work I put in I thought I should have done a lot better.

I didn't even want to go out that night but Im glad that my mam and my firends persuaded me to, as I would have felt worse sitting in on my own.

Anyway I went on to repeat my LC. God for so many reasons, not getting the points the first time was such a blessing. The courses I applied for I had no interest in one year later. While I repeated I developed a real love for economics *nerd* and went onto to get an degree and a masters.

I know when people said to me that it wasn't the end of the world, I thought to myself, yeah right, thats easy for you to say, but they were so right.

Mind yourself hun. xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 newbie71

Repeat?
    PLC?
    Mature student?

How's it going, just to say I got 350 points in my leaving cert a million years ago, not enough to get into any course, didn't go to college til 8 years later when I could really enjoy it, and ended up with a 1st class Masters. So its not all over if it doesn't work out for you first time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Repeat?
    PLC?
    Mature student?

This is not the end of the world, there are always options open to you to better yourself.

I failed my LC about 15 years ago. School was never my thing, and to be honest i never really gave it any effort. I went on to start my own business a few years after finishing, and sold it 10 years later. I decided to try something new, and i'm now working my way up the ladder in a new career.

Remember, the only obstacle to your success, is your ambition. Keep your chin up, keep pushing, and you will get where you want to be. Dont let anyone else get you down or trample on your dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

OP, don't feel so hard done by! There are plenty of options. If you really want to do nursing there are PLC courses or a UCAS course that you can choose. There are plently of Arts courses that I am sure that would match your points. The points aren't the be it and end all. Its more important that you get the grades that you need. You should be happy and over the moon that you have passed your exams. I got results in the upper 300 points but not close enough to 400 cause I knew getting 400 points wouldn't have been realistic for me. You need to be realistic and think about what you are capable of, what you like, what your interests are regarding choosing a course. I was happy with my results and got what I expected. My motto is "Some things are meant to be and things happen for a reason". Go with your gut feeling if you think repeating is the right choice, might be worth going to a grind school.

You have passed all your exams you haven't failed! Its not like you got less than 100 you may not have a chance of getting into any course at all only a selected few.

Think about it carefully, get advice from the guidance councillor even ask advice from colleges and universities they might be able to step you in the right direction. Don't think doing a fetac course would be a waste, you will learn alot and might give you an advantage when doing your degree in a IT or Uni. Why is an IT any different than a Uni its practically the same qualification you'd get in the end of the day whether its nursing or arts you'd go for.

If you happen to go into a degree directly which I'm sure you will whether its now or in the future should it matter, you can still go on to do what you what you really wanted to do in years to come! You can still get your degree in something more suitable and then consider doing further study like a another degree/hdip/postgrad dip/masters and quiet possibably chop and change to another degree during your four years at some stage! You might get a transfer.

It is your decision, what ever makes you happy, and consider all options! The world is your oyster! What do you really want!? Its an achievement in itself to have completed the leaving cert, you should be proud of yourself! Congrats all the same.

Best of luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

I admire your honesty and maturity- you said you worked hard (usually people claim to have dossed if they dont get the results they wanted as a justification) The fact that youre understandably upset shows that you obviously care a lot and therefore would be motivated if you choose to repeat- another admirable quality
    I'm a latecomer to this thread and I was drawn here by R3nu4l's post of the day, and I hope the OP is still reading. I really think the above point is worth emphasizing. The very fact that you are so put out by your points mark is an indication of the high standards by which you judge yourself - this attitude will stand you in good stead in the future.

10 years on from my Leaving Cert, I can honestly say I do not remember what my choices were, or what my points were, and I won't bore you with the sketchy details I can remember. Suffice to say, there are much bigger days in your academic and professional career ahead of you and I wish you the very best in those.

j1974 wrote: »
    The class clown???? eh have you seen the points for clown college??
    I got a D- in riding a unicycle and F in pie throwing. dont even talk to me about that balloon animal test either!!!
    Lol, this guy is definitely the class clown! :D

Don't mean to litter this thread with posts, but here is a very good video worth watching. It doesn't matter what life throws at you OP, it's how you react to it that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

You'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I am seriously pissed off with my result. The past few days couldnt be any sh*tter.

• Advertisement

SoulTrader wrote: »
    Don't mean to litter this thread with posts, but here is a very good video worth watching. It doesn't matter what life throws at you OP, it's how you react to it that counts.

That man is something else. I think, in 15 minutes, he's offered the entire advice offered to the OP in this entire thread. Good man Steve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement