Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely Devastated with today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

aw, i feel sorry for you, you must be gutted :(

BUT

I think you should repeat :) If it really means that much to you, then repeart, you'll surely get it the next time round :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Brendog wrote: »
    1 /10 failed maths....

How do you know that? Only 4 failed out of about 90 students in my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I'm going to come under fire here for this but I don't care, I'm going to say it anyway. If you want a course that CAN be obtained by doing a PLC don't dream of repeating. Once you do your college course your LC results are irrelevant. Nursing is a popular one, one year of 7 and a half months of reasonable levels of consistent work and there you go. It's easier than repeating the leaving on so many levels, both psychologically and emotionally. There is always a way to get to your end destination, sometimes a more scenic route is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Ok, I have repeated this story over a 100 times on boards. I'll repeat it again.

I did the leaving cert in 2009, had my heart on biotechnology in DCU. Did the leaving cert worked my arse off by taking on an extra subject outside of school hours and came out with 325 points, more than 100 points under what I needed. I got no offers the following Monday.

I looked a my options, searched the internet/asked the guidance counselor on ways on getting into the course. I found one online, one year PLC course. I did the course and I made a load of new friends and believe I have matured. I did that and now I shall be attending my dream course this September.

When I think about, I'm glad I didn't get enough points. Life has a way of working itself out, r3nu4l having the perfect example.

I laugh about my leaving cert result when I look back on it and how worked up I got about it. Believe it or not, believe it or not it's not the end of the world.

If really want a particular course, you will get it. One way or the other.

Please enjoy your night, try to forget about. When CAO offers come out, think and look at your options where it be repeating or a PLC. You don't have to accept anything straight away.

If any incoming 6th years read this, please keep all your options open. Apply to all PLC courses related to your dream course, you don't have to pay for anything if get the points you need. Applying to these will give a back option just in case you don't get the result. That's the best advice I can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    nursing or the arts.
    fat chance.

my teachers are prob wondering wat happened. and so am i!!

:(

Not necessarily, you just might have to re-focus your sights a bit:

Check this out

This is a 1 year nursing course, and one possible pathway into nursing in UCD or DCU after the year.

I had this issue last year with my little bro who missed his points, and we found out about this fetac possibility. Now, I should say you need to start Googling and enquiring FAST to make up your mind - even go ahead and organise interviews just to get your foot in the door. You can walk anytime and repeat regardless, but Fetac activity starts to get busy at 2nd round offers. We were too slow, and the two fetacs my bro wanted got full, so he ended up repeating in the Institute (and came out 70 points richer this year!).

There are a number of Fetac courses in Dublin that can provide access to Nursing and Arts. Just do a bit of digging. Obv it's not the ideal scenario compared to getting into college straight away, but it's certainly a good option 2.

You'll be fine no matter what happens though - feels awful now (bro was V upset), but you'll get over it ;)

Here, try this:
    FYI:

Ok so if you go to this link: http://www2.cao.ie/fetac/fetac_search.php
    You can choose the various colleges fetac gets you into.UCD only has a few, but there's millions in DIT and other places.

So for instance let's take Arts in UCD. You can see it says 5 modules at disctinction grade on the right. To get into the ucd course, you need to do one of the courses like ELESX.

Go to this link:http://www.fetac.ie/fetac/awardsDirectory.do?method=getAwardsByField
    And type in ELESX and you can see what's involved in it.

The last thing to do is go to http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=66
    Here you can type in the course code and location, and see where offers it. Now typing in ELESX with Dublin, you can see that dun Laoghaire offers it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

nursing or the arts.
    fat chance.

The place where I did my PLC also have a pre nursing course, It's gets you into nursing in DCU after year afaik. Here's the course link. I have a friend who will be attending it this year. If want me to ask him questions on behalf of you. Drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

PLC is a good option, in my opinion its easier than the LC. If you can work your ass off for the leaving cert you can work in a PLC- and probably with more satisfying results.
    I know in the course I did, we had assignments every so often and were given a brief for each. As long as you did everything on these briefs, you'd get top marks.
    Its much more straightforward and less to learn.
    Its also a good opportunity to adjust to a more college like environment and get used to meeting new people.
    check your prospectus for University and see what the FETAC requirements are.
    Unfortunately most courses have already had interviews and applications but theirs usually a waiting list and people often drop out.

Also if you really need a points you could just do certain subjects that you did poorly in. You don't have to go to school for another year, you could do it at home, or get grinds. you might do better with less to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Keep going with cadet comp? !

Had you any fails? The score is adequate as long as you did not have any failed subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Most PLCs will accept you with a fail in a subject, just repeat this one or two before going to college the following year. It's easier than an overall repeat. You use loads of the skills you learn in PLC, could make a few bob on a part-time job, make loads of friends etc...sometimes not getting your course the, 'easy,' way is a blessing in disguise, not today but maybe in a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

now what.........i have to repeat :mad:

no you dont. the people on here are trying to help you so why dont you calm down and stop making it out to be the worst thing ever, you are still alive arent you?

did you have anything down on your CAO that you think you will get an offer from next week? there are hundreds of PLC'S in ireland today so im sure there will be something you can do to get into your course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

I'm going to come under fire here for this but I don't care, I'm going to say it anyway. If you want a course that CAN be obtained by doing a PLC don't dream of repeating. Once you do your college course your LC results are irrelevant. Nursing is a popular one, one year of 7 and a half months of reasonable levels of consistent work and there you go. It's easier than repeating the leaving on so many levels, both psychologically and emotionally. There is always a way to get to your end destination, sometimes a more scenic route is needed.

I would agree, however in some cases (depending on your chosen path) to gain access to college via FETAC level 5 you will require a minimum of 8 distinctions to be sure of a college place. Attainable with effort.
    Just something to consider,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

gbee wrote: »
    Had you any fails? The score is adequate as long as you did not have any failed subjects.

nope thank god. passed everythin. 5hl's 2 ol's :o thats something i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Hi-my heart really goes out to you.
    It's very hard to try and console you without using the old cliches which are the last thing you'll want to hear. I admire your honesty and maturity- you said you worked hard (usually people claim to have dossed if they dont get the results they wanted as a justification) The fact that youre understandably upset shows that you obviously care a lot and therefore would be motivated if you choose to repeat- another admirable quality.

In the short-term, try and ignore the cliche-merchants and newspapers full of people who got 600pts- predictably the media always focuses on those who've done exceptionally well and ignores the fact that many have not got what they wanted.
    If it is any consolation, the phones at every repeat-school are ringing off the the hook at the moment so don't think for a minute you are the only one who is disappointed. I feel really sorry for you- I got similar points in my Leaving 12 years ago and was very disappointed too as I felt i'd tried hard- I repeated the next year and did a lot better but it was a pain I have to admit-mind you having a room full of classmates in exactly the same position made it more bearable.

Take a while to get over this- ignore anyone who tries to cheer you up with meaningless cliches (even me!) I know it galling listening to people who are delighted with the results though remember- many will have had there sights set far lower than you and will be delighted with relatively poor scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

Freddie59 wrote: »
    It's YOUR life - not your parents (and I am a 50 year-old parent of three adult children, all of who completed their LC and did quite well - but who also have three completely diverse outlooks and career choices).

While I appreciate that your parents will fund 3rd level, you should talk to them - honestly - about how you feel. Are the courses desired by your parents the one you chose yourself?

Good luck in your life. Above all be happy.

And it is NOT the end of the world. Don't forget that.:)
    Excellent advice, OP no one is certain yet if they will get their course as the points are
    still somewhat unpredicatable, I'm sure your family will support you through this, there
    is nothing to be ashamed of, I know it seems like the end of the world but it really isn't.
    Why not start on level 6? You would still be able to complete your chosen degree, many
    students choose this as they are unsure course they really want I hope it all works out
    for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lumo22

nope thank god. passed everythin. 5hl's 2 ol's :o thats something i guess

Be positive, you've got a fantastic base to build on.Repeating the LC works out very well for the vast majority who go that route. Not everything in life is easy, but imo it always works out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭theflash800

I agree with pretty much everyone above me...
    It is NOT the end of the world! Life goes on. Don't panic until the CAO comes out. Enjoy yourself today/tonight, whatever your plans may be.
    Last year I didn't get the points i wanted. Didn't get the course I wanted... But I love the course I did get. Wouldn't change it for the world.

So you may think, "aw I didn't get what i wanted... life is over."
    This could be the making of you. Chin up. Forget any bad thought. Enjoy yourself, in the knowledge that you completed school. See what the CAO says, and then discuss with your guidence counseller, what your options are.
    Well done buddy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

Chin up everything happens for a reason. I only got 365 in my leaving 5 years ago, was devastated as only got offered by last choice! However I went with my last choice which was Marketing in DKIT. Did 4 years there and really proved myself. Then got accepted to do a masters in DCU in Marketing which I completed. I am now working with a multinational company and prob have the best job out of any of my friends who I went to school with who got higher points than me. It goes to show that the Leaving cert is not everything. It is what you do with your third level education that really counts! I got the head down ( partied a little) and it has lead me to where I am now.

Best of luck and remember your friends may have got more points but it does not necessarily mean anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

i know you feel shaken right now but I have just repeated and to me it seems crazy that people go 'my life is over because I didn't get my points' if you really want a particular course you will repeat or try an alternate route. if you are not willing to do that then it musn't be a course you love that much. you probably have no idea how many people repear. i didnt until i had to start telling people when they asked what are you doing in september . . my doctor did, my dentist did, it doesnt make their success now any less, honestly i find people respect that i was that dedicated to getting into the course i chose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

nursing or the arts.
    fat chance.

Try do a pre-nursing course. It will take one year i'd say, and then you could move onto uni!!!! Whats one extra year?!

Hi All,

Just some words of encouragement!

I dont want to patronize anyone so hopefully the following does not appear to!

I left school having failed my Inter Cert (Junior Cert) in 1982! Worked in various jobs for the past number of years, none of which I particularly had any liking for, just a way of making a few bob.

Having become unemployed the future seemed uncertain, I returned last year to a PLC course in Liberal Arts as I had always felt more capable than my 2 passes suggested in my Junior Cert.

I completed the course in May 2010, I obtained 9 Distinctions from 9 subjects, and its now at the age of 43 (something must be alive somewhere) on to ST Pats Drumcondra in September to do a Level 8 Honours Degree in Humanities.

As the title! to all who feel despondent today, NEVER GIVE UP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

OP, this is not the end of the world, believe me!

I know there are a million stories here telling you of how people didnt get what they wanted and life worked out fine, but it is true.

Everything in life happens for a reason, so no matter what you choose to do, it will all work out.

The LC always seems like such a big deal at the time, but believe me, come September no one will give a crap what you go in your LC! Its one set of exams in your life, which will no doubt be filled with bigger and much more important exams later on in life!

Each persons success, be it academically or otherwise, is relative to that person. You do not have to have done as well as your friends, or anyone else for that matter. If you worked your asse off for your result, dont diss that, it was your best at this time.

Whatever you choose to do, for god sake put this behind you.
    Go out tonight, and enjoy yourself.

And if anyone asks, simply tell them you are happy with your results and are unsure what you are going to do at this point.

One year will fly I promise you, so if you do repeat, or choose to do a PLC it will make no difference in the bigger picture.

I know you may feel like you are the only one who hasnt done well, and that you will be left behind when all your friends go to college.
    I went on to do a PLC after my LC, and met some great friends. Wouldnt change it for the world.
    I then went on to do an Arts degree (consider this properly before you do it, you will not be qualified in anything after completing an arts degree, many people do not know this. It is just a stepping stone to further education)
    As for all my school friends who went to college and did courses just for the sake of it, many of them ended up dropping out after a year! DO NOT DO A COURSE FOR THE SAKE OF IT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I had a look at the points for 2009: http://www2.cao.ie/points/lvl8_09.pdf

I see what you mean about nursing, I couldn't see any nursing courses below 325 points.

Looks like some arts course went below 320 last year. Maybe they might be of interest to you?

Arts
    DUBLIN BUSINESS SCHOOL- Final:220. Mid-Point:325.
    IT TRALEE- Final:300. Mid-Point:330.

Arts with conditions
    MATER DEI (Arts - Irish Studies and Religious Studies)- Final:310. Mid-Point:335.
    UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN (Arts - Part time Evening, probably not free-fees)- Final:240. Mid-Point:435.
    UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN (Computer Science - Arts)- Final:300. Mid-Point:350.
    NUI - GALWAY (Arts - Environment and Society/Youth and Family Studies)- Final:300. Mid-Point:340.
    ST PATRICK'S (PONTIFICAL)-MAYNOOTH (Arts - Environment and Society/Youth and Family Studies)- Final:315. Mid-Point:340.

I hope that helps.

Remember as well that it's not the end of the world to repeat. It's just one more year and if you knuckle down, you might get 500+ points.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

yungwan wrote: »
    OP, this is not the end of the world, believe me!

I know there are a million stories here telling you of how people didnt get what they wanted and life worked out fine, but it is true.

Everything in life happens for a reason, so no matter what you choose to do, it will all work out.

The LC always seems like such a big deal at the time, but believe me, come September no one will give a crap what you go in your LC! Its one set of exams in your life, which will no doubt be filled with bigger and much more important exams later on in life!

Each persons success, be it academically or otherwise, is relative to that person. You do not have to have done as well as your friends, or anyone else for that matter. If you worked your asse off for your result, dont diss that, it was your best at this time.

Whatever you choose to do, for god sake put this behind you.
    Go out tonight, and enjoy yourself.

And if anyone asks, simply tell them you are happy with your results and are unsure what you are going to do at this point.

What a pile of nonsense (the bit in bold).
    By that logic there's no point in trying in any walk of life.

OP. Grin and bear it.
    See how the CAO works out for you then depending:
    keep foreign options in mind,
    consider waiting for one year and reapplying to CAO with same results,
    or repeat.

These are your options if you wish to keep doing the Level 8 degree course you had in mind.

But don't take the attitude of that quoted poster.
    If you could have done better and should have done better then I'm sorry for you but you realise your not reaching your potential so you should do something about it if it means enough to you, i.e. repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

enda1 wrote: »
    What a pile of nonsense (the bit in bold).
    By that logic there's no point in trying in any walk of life.

But don't take the attitude of that quoted poster.
    If you could have done better and should have done better then I'm sorry for you but you realise your not reaching your potential so you should do something about it if it means enough to you, i.e. repeat.

Ok Enda, I have actually edited my post, but thanks for slating my comment. Post your opinion, no need to insult mine.... :rolleyes:

I have actually added that exactly the same thing happened me, and that I went another route and got on fine. I was just highlighting that sometimes LC students cannot see beyond their results, and can get upset about it all. I am simply saying it isnt the end of the world. There are many people who did not do well in exams but are amongst the most intellignet and successful in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Exodus 1811

anyone else here the same?
    got 320 :( and i am NOT happy. as youve seen ive been asking about repeating here all summer. but nothing could prepare me for the shock of 320 :mad: i passed maths which i was delighted with, however when i calculated, i was devastated. im sure, 320 is great for some. dont get me wrong. but its not enough for my choices .......now i dunno what to do with myself.
    Repeat?
    Take a level 7 and more than likely drop out?
    PLC?
    Keep going with cadet comp?
    Mature student?

i feel like the only one in the country that has failed? and ive lied to my friends on top of it. how sad !

I was in the exact same situation as you 5 years ago, Didnt get the right amount of points that i needed etc etc. Theres always a round-a-bout way to get into the course you like. Believe me, you'll have a whale of a time regardless of what you do.

yungwan wrote: »
    Ok Enda, I have actually edited my post, but thanks for slating my comment. Post your opinion, no need to insult mine.... :rolleyes:

I have actually added that exactly the same thing happened me, and that I went another route and got on fine. I was just highlighting that sometimes LC students cannot see beyond their results, and can get upset about it all. I am simply saying it isnt the end of the world. There are many people who did not do well in exams but are amongst the most intellignet and successful in the world.

Here Here!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Had I got the points I wanted from my LC I'd never have gone to NUIM and had that not happened I'd have never met my wife, nor would I have my beautiful daughter. I also probably wouldn't have done a PhD nor be Director of my own department at work :)

I'd also like to add that I didn't get the points for my first choice.
    Looking back, I was quickly very glad that I hadn't. I would have hated it.

It's not the end of the world, so chin up :)
    There were people in my place repeating for the 2nd time or more. Repeating is ok to do if you don't get on well on your cao

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

ugh had a good cry.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Could be worse, you could have a life threatening disease on a death bed. Its only a piece of paper at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

I'm sorry OP, I know it must seem like the end of the world but I promise it's not, There
    are so many options available. What choices do you have for level 7/6?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement