Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are my eyes deceiving me: construction *started* on a new estate in Dunshaughlin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I can only assume legal channels were pursued. Potential neighbours getting together to fight their corner. We can't have that now can we.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I received a PM from the OP requesting deletion of the thread.
    After a couple of messages it was decided the best thing to do would be to delete the thread for reasons I'm not in a position to say.
    Apoligies for any confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01

I know that in the Navan area a new estate is being built in Johnstown,like dunshaughlin they built showhouses...But then they only built houses as they were being sold...So the builder and bank is always covered and not lumped with an estate full of houses...Maybe that might be what they do in dunshaughlin too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ashej

it is - they are only building to order :)

Still F all happening over there. I really hope those buyers got their deposits back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

I'd like to hear more from anyone involved in this, seems to have completely ground to a halt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭meercat

marketty wrote: »
    I'd like to hear more from anyone involved in this, seems to have completely ground to a halt

there was a thread on this sites problems but mods removed it at ops request

Looks like there was a similar thread on AAM that was also deleted:

http://boardreader.com/thread/The_Willows_Dunshaughlin_fh0X37j2.html

We're potential first time buyers and the likes of this carry on is making us consider building ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Homeless11

Deposits returned, builders a pleasure to deal with, issues beyond their control

Hi Homeless. Thanks for the update.

Great news that the deposits were returned. My faith in mankind is restored ;)

I hope the estate gets sorted out in due course as they were fairly decent looking houses by recent standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Homeless11

Us too, still have high hopes for it all going ahead. The builders have been really good with us and we are just waiting on that phone call, love those houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

what exactly is the hold up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Good to hear those who put down deposits are being looked after. I hope this development goes ahead, maybe with fewer units than originally envisioned. Took a look at the showhome when it went up first and it really impressed, love that 3 storey lay-out. In fairness I don't think dunshaughlin was one of those towns that was overdeveloped during the bubble, not many empty houses, property prices still seem to be high (very wishful thinking in some cases) but it is a nice town and handy for Dublin. If my financial circumstances were different I may well have been one of those caught up in this :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Titanic1971

We were hoping to buy one. To be fair, the builder returned all monies paid. So whilst we lost a year's interest on our savings......we did get all our cash back.

I wouldn't describe them as a pleasure to deal with.....but they were true to their word regarding money. They just 'mislead' about everything else!!

My postman reckons they've been told that the houses have to come down. I've no way of proving that, but my postman is usually spot on! :D

In truth....I consider it a lucky break! Considering how much properties are falling still.....we'll be able to buy something 'grander'!

I hate seeing another empty estate.....but at least I'm not looking at it from the window of a house in the middle of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Did he return all money to everyone ?

I'd be lying if I said yes....I've no way of knowing!

But.....as far as I'm aware 'everyone' was offered their money back!

I appreciate that everyone has their own opinions.....but I'd never deal with those builder's again. I was lied to on the phone & to my face more times than I care to recall.

Obviously they wanted to keep my money earning interest for them, but it took a lot to get the truth finally......all 10 completion dates were complete fiction!

Well....thankfully my money is back earning interest for me......& I'll never go near that particular group of builder's again.

What exactly the reasons are for the site failing I have no idea, thick smoke screens have obscured the truth & my willingness to believe what I'm told. BUT....the banks wouldn't issue Deeds of Temporary release....... I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

The "Willows" project seems to be in tatters now, with the site looking very ragged... a real shame. But hopefully all is not lost. It seems that the builder is in dispute with Meath County Council, who apparently are terrified that they will be left with an unfinished ghost estate in their back yard. But yet sales were going well...all very messy.

The best we can hope for now is that the various parties in dispute resolve their differences, so that the site can be cleaned up one way or the other.

But we won't hold our breath; especially if it all ends up in the courts.

CUCINA....I beg to differ!

We had a meeting with the builder's late last year. &, in a very open & frank discussion, the builder's made it very clear to us that the Council had been superb & had bent over backwards to help out. They were very firm in that statement. So unless the situation has dramatically changed since then, the problem is NOT with the council.
    The bank would not give 'Deeds of Temporary Release'. I cannot, in all honesty, answer 'why'.....BUT that is the reason we were given, in the meeting, for the site 'stalling'.

I would be very interested to hear if that has subsequently changed??

If my memory serves me correctly there were 7 contracts signed out of Phase one, a phase which I recall had 56 units in it. (282 units in all phases I believe)

I believe it would have sold well.....if it had gone ahead. BUT for the year our money was with the builder's, smokescreens, untruths etc etc to be finally told that it was due to money/ banks etc. It always had been & every moving in date we'd been given was an impossibility!

I cannot begin to tell you how much we wanted that house, simply glorious place! However, the grass may indeed be greener as bigger & better are now within reach & the prices in the Willows would have to plummet to rejoin the real world....IF they're ever built! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Apologies, I stand corrected!

For "MCC" read "An Bord Pleanala"...from what I understand, these are the people who put the boot in, on the basis that they feared another ghost estate.

This, despite the fact that the houses were selling reasonably well, and were more or less being built "hand to mouth".

And the same builder has built similar houses, seemingly unhindered, in the Rathcoole/Newcastle area of Co. Dublin.

• Advertisement

Rathcoole is through a different bank CUCINA ;)

& the bank involved with the Dunshaughlin site would not release 'deeds of Temporary Release'.....I know not why!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 goldiepark

I can concur with everything Titanic1971 has said - not the fault of Meath Co. Council at all - there were signifcant issues with the bank involved and to the best of my knowledge anyone who requested deposits back were given them.

Most were left with solicitor's fees however but in the end it was better to be down that amount than lose out on a full deposit. As stated there were meetings with the builder who explained the situation frankly and openly but communication or lack of it was key. It was a lucky escape to be perfectly honest but tough to pick yourself up from :o

I started the original trend and requested it to be removed when we (the potential neighbours) arranged to meet up. Didn't think it worthwhile to continue it as most of those contributing were meeting in person.

The Willows back up for sale again. Doesn't look like there have been any price drops since they were last on the market last year.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/the-willows-5-bed-detached-dublin-road-dunshaughlin-co-meath/363825

Looks like the issues have been ironed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 goldiepark

Ads were never taken down - they've been up for sale right through this whole mess

That advert was last updated 10 months ago........

As Goldie says.....they never went 'off' sale!

I'd love to hear the reply if you phone up & inquire??

Hmmm. I certainly didn't see them for a number of months. But maybe I was using a filter which I wasn't when I checked today. My mistake so. :o

Might give Mr Bannon a call for the craic

I'd be interested to hear what he says ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

What happened at the end with these houses?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Who is the builder?

• Advertisement

We were contacted in May this year to be told that work would start again in the June.

Well.......surprise surprise........it didn't!! & still hasn't!!!!

So....I'm sorry to say I've no idea what's happening with the houses now!?

The showhouse & it's neighbour have been sat empty for over 2 years now, with the rest not far behind!

The Stanley brothers are the builders. Initially as Blackchurch Homes, then as Hanway Homes.

An experience I'm glad to be free of!!

Advertisement