Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Myers writes anti-Metro column (x4) [SEE MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

dubhthach wrote: »
    Perhaps DLR is confusing the fact that the D&WR had to get an act past in the "Imperial Parliament" before they could start construction? ;)

haha easier than getting it past ABP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'll delete posts if more off-topic amateur psychoanalysis is engaged in in this thread. This is primarily a Metro North discussion.

Off-topic posts removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Lets Get back on track:)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=179166&fbid=137072939671905&id=132969966748869

34708_137072939671905_132969966748869_179166_3977303_n.jpg

Interesting view from Transport21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

lods wrote: »
    Lets Get back on track:)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=179166&fbid=137072939671905&id=132969966748869

34708_137072939671905_132969966748869_179166_3977303_n.jpg

Interesting view from Transport21

It is also interesting to see where that was linked from.

For some reason the phrase "Penny for the Babby" comes to mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

etchyed wrote: »

If Carroll's giftshops went out of business surely that's more of a reason to build Metro North! I always cringe walking past them.

dubhthach wrote: »
    If Carroll's giftshops went out of business surely that's more of a reason to build Metro North! I always cringe walking past them.

Seems to be a lot of business's going to be effected. The RPA aren't great at providing assurance to the people effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Seems to be a lot of business's going to be effected. The RPA aren't great at providing assurance to the people effected.

TBH you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. These are the same people who complain about traffic gridlock and how it has a detrimental effect on business in the city centre. When a solution is put in train they complain again. All I saw from them in paper today was "scare-mongering" moaning about "turning grafton street/st. stephens green into Iraq" etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

Yep, business will be created.

I'm not sure about creating people though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I'd just like to add that if MN gets delayed or deferred or cancelled, it won't be the fault of any objectors or the media. The blame will rest firmly and squarely at the door of Government.

• Advertisement

Metro North is 'essential', says Dublin business body

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0928/1224279828132.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Volume 4 of Mein Stadt
    We are about to embark upon be the greatest act of self-destruction since the Civil War, for which the Easter Rising was the template
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/folly-of-easter-island-is-the-inspiration-for-what-our-state-is-about-to-do-to-us-with-metro-north-2355122.html

100% recycled material in this piece. What he wrote last time mixed with what he read in the Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

OF course, being an Irish solution to an Irish problem, Necro North won't do what it is meant to do -- namely supply rapid transit to Dublin Airport. As Michael Holland of the Fitzwilliam Hotel on St Stephen's Green (Oh lucky Fitzwilliam!) points out, with 17 stops to the airport, it will probably be far too slow. So passengers will opt instead for the non-stop airport buses that are now going through the €789m port tunnel, with which the multi-billion Necro North tunnel will run parallel.

Quality research there Kevin. There are only 17 stops on the entire line not 17 between the airport and Stephen's green. There are actually only 9 stops between the airport and the green and the RPA predict a travel time of 20 minutes. The aircoach/dublin bus airport express wouldnt do that at 4 in the morning never mind during rush hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Independent MEP Marian Harkin last night joined opponents of Metro North, describing it as “ unrealistic and unnecessary”.
    “Cost-effective organisations like the Western Development Commission are threatened with closure while multimillion euro vanity projects such as Dublin’s Metro North are to proceed without any proof that they are needed and can stand up to financial scrutiny.

There are no words. I am almost speechless for once.

The WDC are hated even in the West of Ireland and considered a complete joke. Their biggest investment to date was a factory in Athlone that lost millions and was about 20 feet from the Leinster border. They were the main supporters of the lunatic western rail corridor using tax payers money so a priest from Mayo could buy his way into heaven. They even had a poster campaign to "leave Dublin ah sure you're all stuck in traffic." - But this quote says it all.

You just cannot grasp how utterly dysfuctional and silly Ireland is on so many levels.

Lunatics and psychopaths running the show.

Young people, please emigrate and save yourself from this Ballymagash mental hospital we call a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

bg07 wrote: »
    Quality research there Kevin. There are only 17 stops on the entire line not 17 between the airport and Stephen's green. There are actually only 9 stops between the airport and the green and the RPA predict a travel time of 20 minutes. The aircoach/dublin bus airport express wouldnt do that at 4 in the morning never mind during rush hour.
    Sickening. Myers backs up his arguments with generalisations and flowery language and the only times he does refer to the facts, he gets them wrong.

Myers's opinion column, however, is far less worrying than the unbelievable bias the "paper of record" is showing. Three separate articles in one day focusing on the concerns of a handful of short-sighted businesspeople. And today we get the rebuttal by the Dublin Chamber of Commerce, a short couple of paragraphs, followed by a rehashing of the nonsense from yesterday. To say that this is in any way a fair representation of the debate is bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

There are no words. I am almost speechless for once.

The WDC are hated even in the West of Ireland and considered a complete joke. Their biggest investment to date was a factory in Athlone that lost millions and was about 20 feet from the Leinster border. They were the main supporters of the lunatic western rail corridor using tax payers money so a priest from Mayo could buy his way into heaven. They even had a poster campaign to "leave Dublin ah sure you're all stuck in traffic." - But this quote says it all.

You just cannot grasp how utterly dysfuctional and silly Ireland is on so many levels.

Lunatics and psychopaths running the show.

Young people, please emigrate and save yourself from this Ballymagash mental hospital we call a country.

Oh FFS!

That is the best one yet and symtomatic of the west of Ireland political view. Did the WRC stand up to financial scrutiny? Was it proved that it was needed?

Answers on a one way flight ticket to anywhere in the world except here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Emailed them about this out and out lie .

Perhaps they should read the Press Councils Code of Practice again

http://presscouncil.ie/code-of-practice.150.html

What are the chances of getting
    A retraction, apology, clarification, explanation or response shall be published promptly and with due prominence.

bg07 wrote: »

And the predicted time for all 17 is about 30 minutes still faster than most buses
    The journey time from Belinstown to St Stephen's Green will be approximately 30 minutes.
    http://www.transport21.ie/Projects/Metro_-_Luas/Metro_North.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Also, saying that MN and the PT run in parallel is about as relevant as saying the WRC and the PT run in parallel. The PT has no intermediate stops, so it doesn't really matter where it runs through; the only people who have ready access to it are in East Wall and at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Aard wrote: »
    Also, saying that MN and the PT run in parallel

...would make it a funny parallel. :)

• Advertisement

I sent this
    Dear Mr Myers, Editor

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/folly-of-easter-island-is-the-inspiration-for-what-our-state-is-about-to-do-to-us-with-metro-north-2355122.html

"OF course, being an Irish solution to an Irish problem, Necro North won't do what it is meant to do -- namely supply rapid transit to Dublin Airport. As Michael Holland of the Fitzwilliam Hotel on St Stephen's Green (Oh lucky Fitzwilliam!) points out, with 17 stops to the airport, it will probably be far too slow. So passengers will opt instead for the non-stop airport buses that are now going through the €789m port tunnel, with which the multi-billion Necro North tunnel will run parallel. "

Can you kindly point out on this Map (http://www.transport21.ie/Projects/upload/File/Metro%20North%20Route%2010-08.pdf) where there are 17 stops between the green and the Airport. My Count makes it 9 but it's not surprising you got it wrong sure it was hidden from public view on the internet . Also the RPA predicted journey time is 20 minutes to the Airport tunnel or no tunnel no bus will beat that time.

"The journey time from St Stephen's Green to Dublin Airport will be in the region of 20 minutes. The journey time from Belinstown to St Stephen's Green will be approximately 30 minutes."

Perhaps a little research before yet a other Metro North rant?
    This is his reply
    Thank you for that pointless, nit-picking sneer, which is not relevant
    to the main thrust of my argument about the cost and dislocation
    caused by MN. But it probably made you feel better: and isn't such
    witless self-indulgence the reason that so much is going wrong in this
    country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

LeinsterDub: I'd send his reply back directly to the editor and demand an apology on behalf of the paper. Ring them up if you have to. Maybe then they'll keep him muzzled in future...

Absolutely disgraceful

I sent this

This is his reply

:D you have to laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

oharach wrote: »
    LeinsterDub: I'd send his reply back directly to the editor and demand an apology on behalf of the paper. Ring them up if you have to. Maybe then they'll keep him muzzled in future...

Absolutely disgraceful

Sound like the Independent has become a red top newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Kevin is a deeply angry and unhappy man in his personal life. He vents his misery upon us all by trolling us with his dreadful articles.

Cheer up, Kevin, you miserable ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

oharach wrote: »

Absolutely disgraceful

Sadly I would bet that his employers agree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

Kevin is a deeply angry and unhappy man in his personal life. He vents his misery upon us all by trolling us with his dreadful articles.

Cheer up, Kevin, you miserable ****.

Why is Kevin Myers "a deeply angry and unhappy man in his personal life"?

I suspect that his writing is aimed at earning a living and a very good living at that. The controversial journalist tends to be widely read and the widely read journalist tends to be wealthy. If people buy the Irish Independent just to see what that so-and-so Myers is writing to-day, that so-and-so is doing a good job. He is increasing sales revenue which, in turn, generates advirtising revenue - which is the important income.
    Kevin Myers is the print equivalent of the page 3 girl.

So, chill out and laugh him off. Just as you would when you read a child's comic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The main impression I got from today's wibbling is that Kevin doesn't understand the PPP system and fixed prices up front on contracts...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MYOB wrote: »
    The main impression I got from today's wibbling is that Kevin doesn't understand the PPP system and fixed prices up front on contracts...

As well as him not being able to count.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

OurLadyofKnock has been banned for two months for ignoring my upthread warning. Several of his/her posts have been removed.

By all means, criticise Myers. Rip his columns to pieces if you like. Correct his errors on Metro North, with reference to previous fact-deficient articles of his if necessary. But do not descend into slanderous territory.

Advertisement