Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I haven't noticed excessive data usage on the Omnia 7 and I've been keeping an eye on the meteor data counter a lot. I have the data connection on constantly except at night and have my email accounts to update hourly. Do plenty of browsing on the daily commute and during lunch (including youtube videos). Have only used about 85MB since I got it two weeks ago.

I've noticed that the battery has improved quite a bit since I've first got it - now managing almost 2 days after a full charge. :)

I would really recommend the Foursquare app (it has a good directory of local businesses in your area) as an alternative to the poor Bing maps.

Has anyone tried the Sprout webtext app btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Seems there's a rough link being formed between excessive data usage and the Yahoo mail app. Nothing solid yet but I certainly haven't seen any phantom data usage on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

rc28 wrote: »
    I haven't noticed excessive data usage on the Omnia 7 and I've been keeping an eye on the meteor data counter a lot. I have the data connection on constantly except at night and have my email accounts to update hourly. Do plenty of browsing on the daily commute and during lunch (including youtube videos). Have only used about 85MB since I got it two weeks ago.

I've noticed that the battery has improved quite a bit since I've first got it - now managing almost 2 days after a full charge. :)

Two days?! How are you managing that, I need to charge mine every night. It's my biggest complaint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

KrisW wrote: »
    If you've one of these on PAYG or a plan with a low limit, it might be worth keeping a close eye on your data usage:

Microsoft investigates 'phantom' Windows Phone 7 data

These are mostly US complaints, so it could be operator crapware constantly phoning home. Still, if it saves you a monster bill...

I've only 250mb on my current plan so I keep a close eye on the o2 website; not noticed any unsual downloads. I use Wifi a lot and haven't seen the phone connecting to 3G while I'm on Wifi. Might be just a US problem with certain operators.
    I would really recommend the Foursquare app (it has a good directory of local businesses in your area) as an alternative to the poor Bing maps.

Has anyone tried the Sprout webtext app btw?

Sprout works well, it's due to be upgraded in future to connect to the Cabbage service for more features. But so far so good.

I've tried foursquare and it seems a little patchy around Cork?

Also tried Yelp and it gets good results but it's quite buggy, and there's a fair bit of lag on the map screen. And it uses miles instead of km! Quelle horreur! But is does give you step by step bing directions to a destination based on your current location. This could be great if they fix the crashes / bugs.

The best results so far for me have been via the Google Search app. You search for "pizza" for example, then hit the Places tab, and voila. Unfortunately Google have opted to completely ignore the Metro design ethic, so it's essentially Google Mobile inside an app. They show results on a static map, but it's not interactive ie doesn't show your current location, can't pinch and zoom etc. A poor effort, but to be expected I suppose. If someone could get the business listings from Google and layer them on Bing maps we would be sorted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Hey lads, I'm an O2 PAYG customer and just got my HD7 unlocked. I wanted to know which Company has the best internet data plans? 50mb and 1 euro a day is not good enough for a smart-phone. I use the web a lot BTW

Hey lads, I'm an O2 PAYG customer and just got my HD7 unlocked. I wanted to know which Company has the best internet data plans? 50mb and 1 euro a day is not good enough for a smart-phone. I use the web a lot BTW
    Well Meteor give you 250MB for 30days when you buy €20 credit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

mind sharing where and how much was it to unlock? :)

Undead wrote: »
    Two days?! How are you managing that, I need to charge mine every night. It's my biggest complaint!

Ye I'm really happy with it now. I found that using the AC charger exclusively rather than the USB somehow improved it but I don't see how that could be possible. I have screen set to medium constantly, use the music player on it for about 1.5 hours each day with plenty of browsing and emailing too. However, I do have GPS off. I have found that wifi is more wasteful of battery life than 3G so I mainly rely on the latter.

Some people on the Android forum with HTC Desire HD's also reported the battery life improving after about a week of use as far as I can remember - maybe the battery just needed to be 'woken up' or something??

Btw one full day's use like what you are getting is actually fairly normal with most smartphones today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

mind sharing where and how much was it to unlock? :)

I asked O2 for it and they gave it to me. You have to be a bill pay customer to get it for free or have spent €150 on credit with them like I have. Contact them on their forums and they should get back to you.

And @Gizmo, thanks for the insight. I was looking at either 3 or Meteor.

• Advertisement

I should add that I put it on flight mode at night too.

Ye I'm really happy with it now. I found that using the AC charger exclusively rather than the USB somehow improved it but I don't see how that could be possible. I have screen set to medium constantly, use the music player on it for about 1.5 hours each day with plenty of browsing and emailing too. However, I do have GPS off. I have found that wifi is more wasteful of battery life than 3G so I mainly rely on the latter.

Some people on the Android forum with HTC Desire HD's also reported the battery life improving after about a week of use as far as I can remember - maybe the battery just needed to be 'woken up' or something??

Btw one full day's use like what you are getting is actually fairly normal with most smartphones today.
    I should add that I put it on flight mode at night too.

That's quite interesting, I have mine 10 days now. The battery isn't bad, just coming from an iPhone 4 I think I'm just noticing it more.
    I think it would help if it had a percentage indicator, rather than just guessing "ehhh, a quarter gone?!".

I mostly text a lot, play Xbox Live games, FB, Twitter & Email so I don't think I'm doing anything too strenuous on the battery.

Yeah I know a day is good going for a smartphone these days, like I said maybe I just notice it more because of the lack of percentage etc.

Thanks for the reply though :)

I mostly text a lot, play Xbox Live games, FB, Twitter & Email so I don't think I'm doing anything too strenuous on the battery.

mmm i think the games part would drain it :) also internet and screen would eat up the battery life too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭spark1976

Found another good game on the marketplace.. an indie game called Decimation X2 - its probably best described as space invaders on steroids with a touch of geometry wars..

having a blast with it.. eyes watering!!!!

mmm i think the games part would drain it :) also internet and screen would eat up the battery life too :)

Yeah I expect the games to drain it, ah sure I'll live!
    I'll probably buy a spare battery and leave it in work or something..

I notice you're selling a HD2... The nightmare I've had trying to sell mine on eBay, I'm about ready to hand it to the first stranger I see lol.

Yeah I expect the games to drain it, ah sure I'll live!
    I'll probably buy a spare battery and leave it in work or something..

I notice you're selling a HD2... The nightmare I've had trying to sell mine on eBay, I'm about ready to hand it to the first stranger I see lol.
    Even after this and this?

Meh. I'm not too bothered to sell mine. If I get a decent offer I'll sell. Frankly I hope I don't. It will save me wasting money now till new processor chips come out. I want a phone with min 4" and HDMI out. Preferably Wp7 too. Since the wp7 I'm running now is still a beta. Will take a while till all the bugs are ironed out. But WP is something I could settle with ;)

I really like WP. When I got Android I was like meh. It was better than winmo.

gizmo wrote: »
    Even after this and this?

Well yeah, why would that change my mind?
    I have an Omnia 7... I don't want my year old HD2..
    I'm not into modding etc, I only jailbroke my iPhone to get a custom lockscreen and ringtone. I wouldn't bother changing a phones OS lol.

Could any one tell me how long does it take to install an app or a game?

Well yeah, why would that change my mind?
    I have an Omnia 7... I don't want my year old HD2..
    I'm not into modding etc, I only jailbroke my iPhone to get a custom lockscreen and ringtone. I wouldn't bother changing a phones OS lol.
    Put the phone would be more valuable/desirable with WP7 on it than WM6.5 I'd imagine. :)
    Could any one tell me how long does it take to install an app or a game?
    A couple of seconds usually.

• Advertisement

wouldnt count on that. The fact that HD2's dont have compatible cards it has alot of performance issues. Installing a game takes AGES. If it runs after it is another question too.

As much as its a first public release id expect and updated one soon enough fixing issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

wouldnt count on that. The fact that HD2's dont have compatible cards it has alot of performance issues. Installing a game takes AGES. If it runs after it is another question too.

As much as its a first public release id expect and updated one soon enough fixing issues :)

What games not working? I'll try to install it. It could be you SD card.

the question should be what games work on it :)

it is probably the sd card. But i thought a class 4 card should be more than enough. Its ok in the start. But once you set up your accounts and install a few small apps it goes slow and terrible. Hangs all the time

Wish it was like this though :( Its very fast in the start. But after a while and some messing around it starts the hell

Going back to Android for now till i can see some improvement or try a diff sd card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

the question should be what games work on it :)

The only game that won't install for me is Rise of Glory, it seems to want to down load over wifi but with the SD card in wifi doesn't work. So thats understandable. The current games I have installed and all work are:

Flowers
    ilomilo
    OMG
    Rocket Riot
    Bubble Jump
    Impossible Shooter
    Decimation X2
    Sudoku
    Quadra
    Swimpy Man
    Tetris
    Unite

gizmo wrote: »
    Put the phone would be more valuable/desirable with WP7 on it than WM6.5 I'd imagine. :)

A couple of seconds usually.

Yeah well hopefully it makes it more desirable to anyone looking to buy one off me!
    But personally I'm done with it, loving my Omnia 7 so the HD2 is old news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

I'm on the Omnia 7 and the dio dictionary has an update in the marketplace, go to download it but it 40 million + Mb, obviously a mistake. Anyone know how to clear it.

Also, is there no way to take a screen shot yet?.

Edit: Nevermind, guess someone put mb instead of kb, either that or I have the worlds fastest internet connection.

I actually used official sd card format app (which works for formating even in WP7 format no need for a Nokia) and reinstalled WP7 :) got all games working and everything :) YAY :)

btw i was reading an article last night and i heard that you can post your status update from people hub. Yet cant find anywhere where i can do that :S

any one find it or was that a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

btw i was reading an article last night and i heard that you can post your status update from people hub. Yet cant find anywhere where i can do that :S

any one find it or was that a mistake?

When you go into the people hub you should see your facebook profile pic under "all".

Click on it and you can then "share a quick message" which I'm guessing is your status update.

ha thanks after some rooting i found it. could have just added an icon to do it. Would be easier. Dont like the facebook app on HTC HD2 its too slow :S

Would have never figured out to press my last profile status :) I tried press and hold on it :) but not press lol

• Advertisement

Any one tried out surfcube yet? I just got it and its really nice. Though missing tabs :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement