Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could I change my alarm setup?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

It is always good to be able to get cheaper prices like you did. Big change from €243. UPC have told me connecting the alarm to the unit would work but not reliably. I would also say that installing a power supply back up on the modem is a must as no electricity means no monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

altor wrote: »
    I would also say that installing a power supply back up on the modem is a must as no electricity means no monitoring.

Also an issue if my UPC connection goes down or is "snipped". Its not often but one time it went for 3 days. Not good as monitoring (albeit self monitoring) wouldn't work then.

Unlike my landline is under ground so can't be tampered with and is not reliant on my house power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

Your not the only one who has issues with UPC. They told me that them selfs when I rang to ask about alarm monitoring over UPC. At lease technical support where honest enough to tell me of the downside to it.

The phone line is your safest option if it is under ground.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Unlike my landline is under ground so can't be tampered with and is not reliant on my house power supply.
    While a landline is safer its not entirly underground.
    There is,more than likely, a service point (jubction box )outside.
    If so , its best to secure this in some way.

Definitely not on the outside of the house. Maybe up a telegraph pole? As far as I know the hub for the set of houses on my road is in someones back garden. Guessing a bit on exact etup though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its on a telegraph pole it not underground then?
    Is this a new build (15yrs or less?)
    Any site I was ever on all services came to a point outside first.
    Have you a services box for Electric & cable?

House is 40 years old. Theres an ESB meter box inside the house and I don't recall seeing anything other than that in it. Theres defo no phone junction boxes outside. I was just guessing about the telegraph pole.

Advertisement