Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking club Week 33: Tagliatelle Carbonara with Garlic Bread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Just made this again and left the cream out of the fridge no problems with heat this time...
    Bazmo you will be the delicious creamy death of me!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This looks soooo good! My mouth is watering looking at all the pics! I am always looking at this forum and there are so many great recipes but I never actually get around to trying any of them! Must get going :-D!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Louise~ wrote: »
    Just made this again and left the cream out of the fridge no problems with heat this time...
    Bazmo you will be the delicious creamy death of me!! :D
    Ah sure there's nothing wrong with treating yourself every now and then. ;) Glad you liked it.

leahyl wrote: »
    This looks soooo good! My mouth is watering looking at all the pics! I am always looking at this forum and there are so many great recipes but I never actually get around to trying any of them! Must get going :-D!
    Once you get started you'll never look back. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Made this last week and scrambled the egg a bit... it was stupid though: I was on the phone at the time and just threw the egg yoke in while the pot was still on the heat without even thinking. I snatched it off a few seconds later so was able to work a lot of of it into the pasta.

The thing is, it was still lovely! :D Good thing bacon, scrambled egg and cream tastes so good!

Made this last week and scrambled the egg a bit... it was stupid though: I was on the phone at the time and just threw the egg yoke in while the pot was still on the heat without even thinking. I snatched it off a few seconds later so was able to work a lot of of it into the pasta.

The thing is, it was still lovely! :D Good thing bacon, scrambled egg and cream tastes so good!
    Did you not mix the egg with the cream first?

If you put the egg in on it's own it will always scramble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Another +1 for this. Tried it last night and it was absolutely gorgeous.

Made a slight mess of the garlic bread, though. Still, a massive success overall.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Also had this last night... It was made for me, so I will not take credit... but it was absolutely delicious.. will be trying this out myself next weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Just wondering...would this be a bad thing to make if trying to loose weight? Trying to be healthy but it just looks soooo yummy! I guess the cream would increase the calories by loads.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Did you not mix the egg with the cream first?

If you put the egg in on it's own it will always scramble.

ah right, I missed that bit... yeah I added them separately but I'd thought that traditional carbonara didn't contain cream (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69949422&postcount=9 haha knew I'd read it on boards somewhere :D) ...
    so I just assumed taking it off the heat would be enough. Not to worry, I'll get it right the next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Just wondering...would this be a bad thing to make if trying to loose weight? Trying to be healthy but it just looks soooo yummy! I guess the cream would increase the calories by loads.. :o
    Cream... cheese... oil... refined carbs... you decide ;)

Just don't eat a bucket of it!

• Advertisement

G       Cal     Fat     Carbs   Protein
          Bacon       200     500     40      1       17
          Egg         1       74      5       0       6
          Mushroom    6       24      0       0       6
          Parmesan    25      108     7       1       10
          Pasta       160     560     4       145     25
          Cream       250     495     50      2.5     5
          ---------------------------------------------------
                      642     1760    106     150     69

It's coming out at around 1,760 calories for the recipe I posted (excluding the the garlic bread. So that's 880 cals per person, which seems a lot, so you wouldn't be having this everyday. But as they say, a little of what ya fancy every now and then! ;)

My calculations were done just doing quick Google searches and trying to remember quantities, so they may be off by a little bit.

edit: Added table thanks to nice1franko......so eh, nice1 nice1franko

ah right, I missed that bit... yeah I added them separately but I'd thought that traditional carbonara didn't contain cream (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69949422&postcount=9 haha knew I'd read it on boards somewhere :D) ...
      so I just assumed taking it off the heat would be enough. Not to worry, I'll get it right the next time!
      Ha, I'm like that whenever I watch repeats of QI. I always forget where I first learned the piece of information. :D

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

G       Cal     Fat     Carbs   Protein
          Bacon       200     500     40      1       17
          Egg         1       74      5       0       6
          Mushroom    6       24      0       0       6
          Parmesan    25      108     7       1       10
          Pasta       160     560     4       145     25
          Cream       250     495     50      2.5     5
          ---------------------------------------------------
                      642     1760    106     150     69

2. Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

you can go for a lower fat version which I actually made last night and still tastes really good.

Bacon (cut off the white fatty bits and cut into strips/squares)
      Garlic
      Onion
      LOTS of mushrooms!
      1 egg
      sea salt and cracked black pepper
      parmesean optional

Just cook the same way as the original recipe adding the pasta to the bacon, garlic and onion and then turn off the heat and add in 2 raw eggs and mix for a couple of minutes, be careful that the hob isnt very hot still as the egg will quickly scramble. You can add a bit of milk to this to get it a bit more sauce like.

Without the cream, streaky bacon and cheese you can have it more often! but then obviously you'll have to make it with all the good stuff once in a while :)

3. Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

May have to hold out making this till my treat night so!

Thanks for the info!

4. Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I made this tonight, and it was YUM!!! only thing is... 4 twirls of pasta is waaaaay to much for one person :o

Me effort (with onions):

DSCF3554.jpg

5. Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just leave the cream out. Carbonara shouldn't have cream in it anyway.

6. Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Honey-ec wrote: »
      Just leave the cream out. Carbonara shouldn't have cream in it anyway.

Yeah, but it won't be as nice.

7. Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

BaZmO* wrote: »
      Yeah, but it won't be as nice.

Now that's a matter of opinion. I much prefer it without cream.

8. Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Honey-ec wrote: »
      Now that's a matter of opinion.
      Of course it is. I'm just not that muchof a purist when it comes to recipes. IMO you should always just use recipes as a guide and just adjust to your own tastes.

People can be too precious about these things.

9. Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

if you were looking for a low fat alternative to cream, you could use quark cheese instead.

10. Advertisement
    11. Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Made this tonight. Added chicken and onions.
      Also added cheese to the garlic bread.
      Mrs was well impressed. Thanks lad

12. Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Finally got around to trying this...simple and delicious. :D:)

13. Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Made this tonight, doubled up the portions and left out the mushrooms, fed 5 of us, and everybody loved it! Absolutely delicious, and based on the reviews, my folks want me to make them some for tomorrow when they get back!
      rps20120225_211901.jpg

14. Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

just made this earlier. had it a few times already and I keep coming back to this recipe.

house mate made his own carbonara tonight and let's just say his was disappointing after trying mine :P

15. Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Black Oil wrote: »
      Finally got around to trying this...simple and delicious. :D:)
      I'm terrible too, I have such a back log of recipes that I want to get around to trying. Glad you liked it.

Looks great Damo. Oddly enough, I have never tried it with a different shaped pasta other than Tagliatelle, which is strange considering how long I've been making it for.

16. Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Made it again last night, nom.

Any idea what it would be like to make for 10-14 people?

17. Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made it again last night, nom.

Apologies, I only noticed your post now. I generally only ever make it for 2 people, and the most I've ever cooked it for was 5 people, so I wouldn't be sure how to make it for so many. When I made it for 5 I just doubled up and everything went into the one pan. Worked out fine, so maybe doing it in two big batches would work?

If you do try to make it for so many people in one go be sure to let me know how you get on.

18. Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I tried making carbonara for 8 pax once and it just didn't turn out right, even though I increased the amount of ingredients required by relative proportion.
      Cook them in batches, 4-5 servings per batch would be ideal IMO.

19. Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made this again today for myself and my boyfriend. It's been ages since I made it. I forgot how fantastic it is!

20. Advertisement
    21. Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

Made this yesterday, It was yummy! 389200_3716168939767_1142035647_33655441_753395299_n.jpg?dl=1

Advertisement