Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking club Week 33: Tagliatelle Carbonara with Garlic Bread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Question: I went to the shops last night to get everything for this meal and forgot the Parmesan. Would it be severely lacking if I left it out? I don't want to go to the shops again, lazy mare that I am!
    You could get away with it I suppose. But you could use Roma Formaggio Da Pasta if you can get it easier in the local Spar or Londis. I've used it a few times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    How does this dish store and if I microwave it will it have adverse effects?

If you microwave it, I imagine the egg would massively overcook and become rubbery and possible just scramble. I wouldn't bother tbh. Pasta is never nice microwaved anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

If i'm cooking this for 4 people is the 250ml of cream and 1 egg enough for this sauce or should i double it?

kikililly wrote: »
    If i'm cooking this for 4 people is the 250ml of cream and 1 egg enough for this sauce or should i double it?
    Yeah double it. Although, the cream is a bit of a variable, in that I use 250ml because that's the size of the carton you'd normally get cream in, but I'd use 200ml if that was the size available. So if you can only get a 400ml carton, that'd be fine. Double up on the eggs though, 1 per 2 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Great thanks for the quick reply i'm heading to the shop soon
    Really looking forward to this one now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I've held my horses. I'll pick up the cheese tomorrow and make it tomorrow night. I don't want to risk ruining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

rlmbs4.jpg

This was delicious. Although I love mushrooms, I left them out because one of our diners can't bear them.

We had bruschetta to start, with nice fresh ciabatta toasted with olive oil and topped with a smashing tomato salad (I got a lovely range of mixed organic tomatoes from Fallon & Byrne this morning), and then ate the carbonara itself with a rocket and spinach salad, dressed with honey, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Wine was a light chardonnay, dessert was lemon drizzle cake and coffee. All round a fantastic meal (all plates cleared) and will definitely be adding carbonara to our regular repertoire. Thanks so much OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

this is over taking chili as the most made cooking club recipe in my house! 4th time tonight! :PThanks op

kerash wrote: »
    this is over taking chili as the most made cooking club recipe in my house! 4th time tonight! :PThanks op
    4th time?!? Ha. I only put it up a couple of weeks ago! :D

Glad you're enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Made this today, usually dont use cream or mushrooms. Really liked the mushrooms in it, makes it really meaty. Very quick and easy recipe thanks BaZmO*

vrtts9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

45677_1601163872013_1323548852_1609450_7474607_n.jpg

I was half-way through eating before I though of taking a pic! :pac:nyom!
    I made my garlic bread with garlic butter that day but tried your olive oil garlic combo and it was delish - good thing i like garlic tho, be wary of going overboard!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Lovely, tastey and easy to put together. Thanks BaZmO*

DSC_2653_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭brick tamland

[IMG]http://<a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/53677990@N04/4960996479/ target=_blank>[/img]4960996479_88b57ec8da.jpgWe had this last night, It was lovely. The wife loved it. Will definatly be made again soon
    * used some garlic bread we had in the fridge, next time we'll try your way
    * Picture is crap, stoopid camera phone
    4960996479_88b57ec8da.jpga%3E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Here's my effort.

Dinner.jpg

Went down well with a glass of milk!

The garlic bread was delicious, i'm really not fond of the sutff you get in shops i hate the garlic butter. I instead got a sesame loaf from the tesco bakery and rubbed a raw clove over the slices. it gives a nice and subtle garlic taste. Thanks bazmo!

Also for the sauce I didn't have parmesan so I used grana padano instead. It gave it a nice nutty taste!

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Also for the sauce I didn't have parmesan so I used grana padano instead. It gave it a nice nutty taste!
    Is it not essentially the same thing?

Any grated hard cheese does the job though.

Glad you liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Is it not essentially the same thing?

Any grated hard cheese does the job though.

Glad you liked it.

I think its a younger cheese, parmesan is a lot stronger but yeah there isn't much difference.

A relativice brought mine back from Italy, but I think dunnes stores do it as well. Parmesan is really overpriced here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Thanks for the lovely recipe BaZmO*! Really enjoyed it. Think I may have gone a bit OTT with the cream, so will go easier with it next time.

143092.jpg

Thanks for the lovely recipe BaZmO*! Really enjoyed it. Think I may have gone a bit OTT with the cream, so will go easier with it next time.
    Thanks. Glad you liked it.

The dish is supposed to be quite creamy though. But just like any home cooking you can reduce the ingredients to your liking.

Nom nom nom nom nom, absolutely devoured.

Carbonara.jpg

*finally adds this forum to subbed list*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I got out of the habit of doing the cooking club recipes after the first few weeks but going to pick up the ingredients for this tomorrow and make it during the week. I'm meant to be on a diet but let's not think about that :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Another delicious cooking club recipe, thank you! I might put in less cream next time as it was just a tiny bit heavy for me. Also I used pancetta cubes because I HATE chopping up rashers!

a19acf57.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I made this tonight for myself and my boyfriend. It was lovely. I burbled about it in the 'dinner last night' thread, so I won't burble again here. :)

Great recipe, BaZmO*! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

This looks yummmmmers!

Unfortunately cream is a no no for me because of my obsession with my waistline :(

My mum always made carbonara with a basic white roux sauce as the base, with low fat milk and low fat cheddar instead of parmesan for the health consious. It was just more waist friendly for an every week meal.
    You could probably do half and half for the best of both worlds!!

But I think for a treat I will try this more authentic and luxurious version this weekend!!

Must subscribe to these receipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Cooked this today for the second time, and AGAIN wolfed it down before I had a chance to take a picture, maybe third time lucky! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I've been following this recipe a think it looks fantastic. I'm making it tonight and was wondering what the quantities should be for 4?

I'm mainly not sure about the cream and cheese. I heard one egg per person too....

Thanks!!

Sorry just reread the posts and realised it was answered for me.
    I'll use 2 eggs and double the cream.
    I'll add cheese to taste :)

Just double up for 4. But if you're making it all in the same pan for 4 you could probably reduce the amount of cream so it's not exactly double.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

I made this last week and completely loved it, so tasty, only question I have is that'd I like it to be good and hot but I'm scared of scrambling the eggs... Any suggestions?? I guess have the cream at room temperature which I didn't think of but is there anything else I could do for next time?
    Even if there isn't anything more I can do I'll be making it again, delish and super simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I must make this, it looks delicious.

Excellent pics too and everyone elses efforts look nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Louise~ wrote: »
    I made this last week and completely loved it, so tasty, only question I have is that'd I like it to be good and hot but I'm scared of scrambling the eggs... Any suggestions?? I guess have the cream at room temperature which I didn't think of but is there anything else I could do for next time?
    Even if there isn't anything more I can do I'll be making it again, delish and super simple!

I've been making carbonara for years (without cream, natch) and I have never once scrambled the eggs. I think the "risk" is exaggerated, tbh. Just turn the ring off as soon as the pasta is cooked and let the residual heat of the pot and the pasta warm the eggs for you. Reserve a couple of tablespoons of the cooking water to mix through, if needs be. I think the only way you could possibly scramble the eggs while making a proper carbonara is by actually cooking the pasta/egg mix over a live heat.

• Advertisement

Louise~ wrote: »
    Honey-ec pretty much answered your query. But I'd tend to agree that the "scrambled egg" element tends to be over-exaggerated.
    What I tend to do is take the cream out of the fridge first and put it in a bowl and add the egg and parmesan. By the time you need to add it, it has come up to room temperature and the residual heat in the pan heats it up, but even if it hasn't, it's quite ok to put the pan back on a gentle heat to warm it through. Just keep an eye on it.

Advertisement