Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epson Stylus SX515W High-Speed All-in-One Printer with Individual Inks and Wi-Fi €45

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,686 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Scanning at 90 in Tesco Wilton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭ronano

a stupid question but do these copy and scan as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

ronano wrote: »
    a stupid question but do these copy and scan as well?

as post #62 says - they scan at 90 :D

seriously though - they scan and copy and print - hence the 'all in one' name

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Lucky me I got the last one in the Square Tallaght. Anyway, the main reason for buying it was the ability to use compatible inks as the originals are way too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭philbee

2 left in Nenagh scanning at 90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

/bargain.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Scans at 90e in navan. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Was in Tesco Navan and they are back to €90. Dam missed it.

bummer, glad I got in quick as soon as I saw it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Very impressed by the driver support for this. I was expecting rather large bloatware for network support.

Windows: The device shows up as a UPnP Device in the network map. Windows prompts you to install drivers. I extracted the Epson driver package and pointed Windows towards it. The driver is annoying at first, but you disable all the notifications and the system tray icons you are set to go.

Linux: CUPS found the device on the network and went and got any required files itself. Scanning required the installation of iscan from a crowd in Japan.

Network printing and scanning working perfectly on Windows and Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Jonathan wrote: »
    Very impressed by the driver support for this. I was expecting rather large bloatware for network support.

Windows: The device shows up as a UPnP Device in the network map. Windows prompts you to install drivers. I extracted the Epson driver package and pointed Windows towards it. The driver is annoying at first, but you disable all the notifications and the system tray icons you are set to go.

Linux: CUPS found the device on the network and went and got any required files itself. Scanning required the installation of iscan from a crowd in Japan.

Network printing and scanning working perfectly on Windows and Linux.

Boaster. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

ectoraige wrote: »
    Boaster. :(
    People were asking earlier in the thread about the drivers etc. I just thought I'd share my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

People were asking earlier in the thread about the drivers etc. I just thought I'd share my experience.

Crap, I would have bought it if I knew it was ok in this manner. Had terrible experiences before with a Lexmark wifi printer hence the reluctance!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Really is a great printer Ink is really cheap ~€2 a cartridge
    , I never really understood the 6 "photo" epson inks that my R265 inkjet required. The quality was exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Heh, I'd noticed this printer last weekend and thought I should research it a bit - I assumed with wifi at that price the print quality must be terrible. Of course, when I got home I completely forgot about it, and when I went back during the week, they were all gone. Last Epson I had was excellent too, I should have just picked it up there and then.

I really wanted a new printer too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Two points about the printer,

When I bought one, the person at the check-out, whom was trying to be helpful, reminded me to buy a USB cable, but this printer (unusually) comes with a USB cable in the box.

Also (unless i miss something) the WiFi-ness does not seem to work with a WiFi router, but only if the computer has Wifi internally.

Also (unless i miss something) the WiFi-ness does not seem to work with a WiFi router, but only if the computer has Wifi internally.
    The printer can set up an adhoc network for printing to the device, but it can also connect to an existing network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Rockin wrote: »
    Really is a great printer Ink is really cheap ~€2 a cartridge
    , I never really understood the 6 "photo" epson inks that my R265 inkjet required. The quality was exactly the same.
    May I ask where you are getting them at this price ??

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

MoodeRator wrote: »
    May I ask where you are getting them at this price ??

inkjet.ie - (incl. free shipping for orders over €30)
    I've been using them for just over a year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Two points about the printer,

When I bought one, the person at the check-out, whom was trying to be helpful, reminded me to buy a USB cable, but this printer (unusually) comes with a USB cable in the box.

All wifi printers come with a cable I think as its needed for inititial setup of printer, I'm sure if they didnt include it people would complain "I thought it was wireless" so its probably for that reason :)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    All wifi printers come with a cable I think as its needed for inititial setup of printer, I'm sure if they didnt include it people would complain "I thought it was wireless" so its probably for that reason :)

Nick

It isn't actually required for wireless setup. It can all be done via the LCD screen. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It isn't actually required for wireless setup. It can all be done via the LCD screen. :)

True, but for the n00b installtion it vastly simplifies the process :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

Somebody mark this thread as expired for Mike's love

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Any in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

redman wrote: »
    Any in Dublin?

Yes, loads of them in almost every Tesco, but unfortunately at €90 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

90 is still a decent deal really, I saw them for 120 at harvey normans a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevewales0

Hi, was going to buy the sx515w from Tesco,so searched here first, got a bit excited about the price glitch --doh -- for "mike's sake" this thread will wither soon now.
    I thought It might be useful to add that I found out that for those that use original print cartridges, the stated fitment (which has a picture of a cheeteh on the packaging) is not the only one. they will take the T1006 set of colour cartridges (the Rhino set) --few bucks more but more than double the ink.
    (you think the art dept at epsom has a sense of humour??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

For those of you who are interested in compatible inks, both Buytech.co.uk an Amazon.co.uk have great value in multipacks. I bought a 10X multipack of 40 cartridges from Buytech for £25.99 + p & p of £1.95. Ordered them last week. Note they will look for a postcode. I used IRE123 and it was accepted.

hmm Id not order from buytech, they informed me that they do not post to Ireland nor ever have?? happily they refunded me to my paypal account.
    It wasn't something I noticed until I accepted in the ordering process but the country part of the address changed to UK (Great Britain) which I didn't type in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭baldshin

I ordered black ink from a seller called moreinks on amazon. Was about £13 including delivery for 8 cartridges iirc, and they even gave some free photo paper. Delivered in 3 days too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

This thread will teach me to abandon Bargains alerts, had been looking for a printer for ages and this would have fit the bill nicely, but alas I only saw it now when the offer is over:(:( Ended up ordering one from Amazon which worked out more expensive for a more basic epson:( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0029U2FNY/ref=oss_product

Edit-Also put epson compatible ink into my last printer and it was never right again, still half works but not good enough for work for college.

• Advertisement
Advertisement