Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fianna Fáil in Northern Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I highly doubt that that will happen. You can't just walk into the norths politics and take over.
    True, it could take a while, if it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    True, it could take a while, if it happens.
    I wonder, as the "Republican Party" how high up a UI will be on their list?

I wonder, as the "Republican Party" how high up a UI will be on their list?
    I would imagine quite high, they were are De Valera's party after all.

Well it is not exactly very high atm is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

FF executed more Republicans than the Unionist government did during WW2, FF are a partitionist party who don't care less about the Nationalist community in the North, they have done very little for the ntaionalist community since partition, unfortunately there may be some gullible people who actually believe FF are a Republican party.

• Advertisement

Well they supplied some money and some arms. Well Haughey did. Although I am not sure if that was benificial.

Well they supplied some money and some arms. Well Haughey did. Although I am not sure if that was benificial.

Haughey also established military courts in the early 60's when he was Minister for Justice, Haughey had very little interest in the North up until the time when the troubles exploded. Devalera brought in military courts in the 30's as well and executed Republicans, FF area an anti-Republican party who only care about themselves and always like to pretend to be Republican when they are in electoral trouble.

FF executed more Republicans than the Unionist government did during WW2, FF are a partitionist party who don't care less about the Nationalist community in the North, they have done very little for the ntaionalist community since partition, unfortunately there may be some gullible people who actually believe FF are a Republican party.
    What do you expect them to do? The majority of people in the north want it to remain part of the U.K. Untill that changes there is nothing that can be done.

Thats why I laugh when I hear them calling themselves "The Repulican Party"

What do you expect them to do? The majority of people in the north want it to remain part of the U.K. Untill that changes there is nothing that can be done.
    Thats the in built artificial majority you refer to of course? Shame they never took that into account with regard to Tyrone and Fermanagh.

• Advertisement

When DeValera was in power he wasn't exactly overly concerned about the levels of discrimination that existed in the Nationalist community who were 2nd class citizens from its inception in 1920, in 1969 Lynch did nothing, big deal he set up a few military hospitals in Donegal.

Thats the in built artificial majority you refer to of course? Shame they never took that into account with regard to Tyrone and Fermanagh.
    That doesn't change the fact that the majority of people in the north don't want to join the republic and untill that changes there is nothing Fianna Fail or Sinn Fein can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If not, why not?
    Personally I think it is good because I think over time they will eat into the SF vote.

They wouldn't touch the SF voter-base. IF anything, they would take votes from the SDLP. And a very limited few at that. There was talks of the SDLP & FF going into a pact - But I think that has been squashed recently.

Sinn Féin has done a great amount of work for the nationalist community in the North. I don't see why it would be a good thing for the likes of FF to take their votes (not that they would).

When DeValera was in power he wasn't exactly overly concerned about the levels of discrimination that existed in the Nationalist community who were 2nd class citizens from its inception in 1920, in 1969 Lynch did nothing, big deal he set up a few military hospitals in Donegal.
    That had absolutely no relation to the piece of my post you quoted.

dlofnep wrote: »
    They wouldn't touch the SF voter-base. IF anything, they would take votes from the SDLP. And a very limited few at that. There was talks of the SDLP & FF going into a pact - But I think that has been squashed recently.

Sinn Féin has done a great amount of work for the nationalist community in the North. I don't see why it would be a good thing for the likes of FF to take their votes (not that they would).

Well if I was living in the North, I wouldn't touch FF with a bargepole.

That doesn't change the fact that the majority of people in the north don't want to join the republic and untill that changes there is nothing Fianna Fail or Sinn Fein can do.

Sure they can, they can develop a framework to ease unification. They can also work on bringing both communities together, ending sectarianism. It's not going to be something that happens over night - It's something that will happen gradually, with the proper work on the ground done beforehand.

Well if I was living in the North, I wouldn't touch FF with a bargepole.

Neither would I. And most people would be wise to stay clear. Sinn Féin received more votes in the last elections than any other party, be it nationalist or unionist. They have worked on behalf of the nationalist community for decades, and the nationalist community acknowledges that. There is absolutely no hope of Fianna Fáil taking that voter-base at ay point in the near future.

Sure they can, they can develop a framework to ease unification. They can also work on bringing both communities together, ending sectarianism. It's not going to be something that happens over night - It's something that will happen gradually, with the proper work on the ground done beforehand.
    They can't develope a framework as you call it to ease re-unification if the majority of people in the north are against the idea.

They can't develope a framework as you call it to ease re-unification if the majority of people in the north are against the idea.

Of course they can. You're conflating two separate issues. Working on policies that would ease the process of unification, and unification itself are two different issues.

Of course they can. You're conflating two separate issues. Working on policies that would ease the process of unification, and unification itself are two different issues.
    What sort of policies are you talking about? I imagine if they tried anything even approching re-unification without the consent of the electorate the British government would step in to put an end to it.

• Advertisement

What sort of policies are you talking about? I imagine if they tried anything even approching re-unification without the consent of the electorate the British government would step in to put an end to it.

My post obviously went over your head. I suggest you re-read it.

My post obviously went over your head. I suggest you re-read it.
    I read it, I'm asking you what sort of policies would ease the process of re-unification?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Margaret Ritchie says she won't be going into a merger with FF
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0419/1224268629876.html

SF voters would never consider voting FF, they've burned their bridges there.

No chance of any Unionist vote.

The only thing FF are looking for is to make a few more careers for their members and not help out citizens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Personally I beleive that FF would be far more acceptible to Unionists than SF, I beleive strongly that the only way a UI can ever be acheived is by winning moderat unionists over to the Idea, or at least makeing them less hostile to it, I beleive that FF would be better at this than SF because they dont have the very damaging assoication with the Troubles that SF do.

I dont think FF will achieve a rapid displacement of SF, SF are simply to important in NI politics at this time, I do however feel that over the coming 25-40 years they will see steady, if slow, gains in support(if they can get their house in order).

I dont doubt that there are many good people in SF that do great work on the ground in their comunitys, but I beleive that hostility built up over the past 40 years between SF and the unionist comunity means that continued SF dominance in the nationalist comunity in NI would mean in effect prolonging partition.

For this reason I personally (though I find it very hard to look past what they did to this country in the past few years) welcome FF moveing North.

Personally I beleive that FF would be far more acceptible to Unionists than SF, I beleive strongly that the only way a UI can ever be acheived is by winning moderat unionists over to the Idea, or at least makeing them less hostile to it, I beleive that FF would be better at this than SF because they dont have the very damaging assoication with the Troubles that SF do.

I dont think FF will achieve a rapid displacement of SF, SF are simply to important in NI politics at this time, I do however feel that over the coming 25-40 years they will see steady, if slow, gains in support(if they can get their house in order).

I dont doubt that there are many good people in SF that do great work on the ground in their comunitys, but I beleive that hostility built up over the past 40 years between SF and the unionist comunity means that continued SF dominance in the nationalist comunity in NI would mean in effect prolonging partition.

For this reason I personally (though I find it very hard to look past what they did to this country in the past few years) welcome FF moveing North.
    Do the SDLP not kinda fill that roll already? And they have failed and faded quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I don't think anyone in Northern Ireland, republican or unionist would want a united ireland right now, with the shambles the Republic is in with FF in power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Do the SDLP not kinda fill that roll already? And they have failed and faded quite a bit.

FF have a proven track record of electoral success.
    They know how to build an election winning machine. Also because of their Importance in Southern politics they cant just be ignored by the unionists as easily as the SDLP.

Also both of the main nationalst partys in NI,(SF and SDLP) tend to be left leaning, FF as a center right party would fill a gap that is not being served at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Personally I beleive that FF would be far more acceptible to Unionists than SF

I take it that the Unionists don't follow events in the Republic, so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

FF have a proven track record of electoral success.
    They know how to build an election winning machine. Also because of their Importance in Southern politics they cant just be ignored by the unionists as easily as the SDLP.

Also both of the main nationalst partys in NI,(SF and SDLP) tend to be left leaning, FF as a center right party would fill a gap that is not being served at the moment.

By recruiting dissident Sinn Feiners like Martin McAllister?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Fianna fail are a buying machine ,without money they're defunct.

Advertisement