Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed buumps, Carpenterstown Rd

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

BostonB wrote: »
    Sorry but if going over these ramps, is "tearing out the underside of my car" you have a problem. It shouldn't touch it at all.

It doesn't if I go very, very, very, very slowly :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It doesn't if I go very, very, very, very slowly :o

Something wrong with your car then.

Something wrong with your car then.

Ok so - if we are going to be pedantic about this. "Tearing the understide out of my car" is the use of poetic lisence when elaborating on an opinion of the negative impact of speed ramps on my cars wheels & shock obsorbers etc, I did not realise it would descend into a purile rendition of "there is something wrong with your car", "no there isn't" comments! :mad:

In fairness I wasn't the one over egging the pudding...

The ramps are a royal pain. They are only there because of a failure to enforce the speed limits. A couple of real speed cameras would have been a far better solution. That said most traffic is doing 40~50 across them, from what I can see. The real test will be when all the schools are back. Traffic will increase then, and we'll see the true impact.

I was actually using descriptive language to illustrate my frustration.

However I agree with you on your other point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The ramps are a royal pain. They are only there because of a failure to enforce the speed limits. A couple of real speed cameras would have been a far better solution.
    Agreed. Ramps punish everyone for the sins of the few - just like swing gates the entrances to the open space area on Riverwood Chase, swing gates between Fernleigh and Luttrellstown Road (which are very very tight with a bike). :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

daymobrew wrote: »
    Agreed. Ramps punish everyone for the sins of the few - just like swing gates the entrances to the open space area on Riverwood Chase, swing gates between Fernleigh and Luttrellstown Road (which are very very tight with a bike). :mad:

Nope the swing gates are to prevent kids running straight out onto the road they are not a punishment - not unreasonable near a play ground surely?

Rosser wrote: »
    Nope the swing gates are to prevent kids running straight out onto the road they are not a punishment - not unreasonable near a play ground surely?
    The Riverwood ones were installed to stop quad bikes getting onto the open space area. Nothing to do with children.

There is a swing gate between Fernleigh Drive and Luttrellstown Chase, the quietest road around. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

The Riverwood ones were installed to stop quad bikes getting onto the open space area. Nothing to do with children.

There is a swing gate between Fernleigh Drive and Luttrellstown Chase, the quietest road around. Why?

It's great that not only do the swing gates prevent quad bikes getting on to the open space they also prevent kids from running out directly on to a busy road, that's a real result.

Rosser wrote: »
    It's great that not only do the swing gates prevent quad bikes getting on to the open space they also prevent kids from running out directly on to a busy road, that's a real result.
    If the Gardai did their job we would probably not have speed bumps or swing gates.

There are more open spaces without swing gates than ones with, though I see your point.
    I think that double buggies and wheelchairs would have serious difficulty getting through them.
    Anyhow, we are getting off topic. My main point is the inaction of Gardai that results in these passive items that impact everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

If the Gardai did their job we would probably not have speed bumps or swing gates.

My main point is the inaction of Gardai that results in these passive items that impact everyone.

I dont often disagree with you Daymobrew, but I think you're wrong there.

It's the complete and utter failure of a sizeable minority of US to behave in a decent, respectful and mannerly way towards our fellow citizens. We speed, we litter, we disobey the laws, regulations and bye-laws designed to keep everyone safe and ensure we live in a decent country.

If we could get their act together, then there would be no need for speed bumps, swing gates, etc., and the Gardai wouldn't need to be enforcing the laws.

Never gonna happen though, but I think shifting the blame to the Gardai is not the answer.

Its human nature not to obey laws unless theres enforcement. Thats why you need enforcement. Not everyone is wired the same way.

Enforcement doesn't have to the Gardai, but IMO there was far more Garda speed checks in the past in D.15. In recent years theres been hardly any.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Never gonna happen though, but I think shifting the blame to the Gardai is not the answer.
    They are the only ones with the authority to counteract that sizeable minority. If I do something then they will suddenly appear to arrest me.

I have always maintained that if people who were annoyed/outraged by the speeding actually went onto the road and disrupted traffic, that it would be a better result. Name'n'shame the culprits and the like.

I think that we will have to agree to disagree.

I will be interested to see if speeding still occurs on the road, like it still does on the Riverwood side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gaspode wrote: »
    I dont often disagree with you Daymobrew, but I think you're wrong there.

It's the complete and utter failure of a sizeable minority of US to behave in a decent, respectful and mannerly way towards our fellow citizens. We speed, we litter, we disobey the laws, regulations and bye-laws designed to keep everyone safe and ensure we live in a decent country.

If we could get their act together, then there would be no need for speed bumps, swing gates, etc., and the Gardai wouldn't need to be enforcing the laws.

All true, so therefore gardai are needed to catch those that break the law.

I wonder how long it takes before the people who called for these ramps call for their withdrawal. Whatever the rights and wrongs, they are a complete nightmare for people that have to use them daily.

Having a guard monitor the road once a week for an hour would stop all the speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

these dreaded ramps have now appeared at the start of damastown industrial estate down the ladyswell road and theyre also along the blackcourt road in corduff,:(

Advertisement