Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed buumps, Carpenterstown Rd

Options
  • 11-08-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Are the new speed bumps on the Carpenterstown rd up near St Patricks ns permanent?
    They seem like they were thrown down? Do you think the council are testing different types of bumps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I've seen these bumps up in Tyrrellstown and even though they look flimsy they really make you slow down.

But prepair to have to replace your suspension system next year.

They are needed though. That road was like a racetrack at times.

And I hope they were cheap. I don't like it when the council spends lots of money on things they could get done for cheaper, or on things they didn't need to do at all.

Ahem, cough cough, one way system at Molloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

I agree with you. That road is awful, cars fly down the road. The ramps just have a temporary feel to them. I would prefer the ones they have around at Riverwood. They really make cars slow down!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dSleeper

There's a lot more of them appeared today...creeping back towards the other roundabout...I think thats the plan anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I saw a plan for that road a while back that had traffic islands that narrowed the road to slow people down, has that plan been replaced by these little bumps? I guess it must be cheaper, they just seem to be bonded to the tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

But some of the bumps are just one bump in a lane and instead of going over it cars are going into the other lane to go around it. I can see this causing more accidents tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    I saw a plan for that road a while back that had traffic islands that narrowed the road to slow people down, has that plan been replaced by these little bumps? I guess it must be cheaper, they just seem to be bonded to the tarmac.
    I think that the two ramps between Spar and St Patrick's NS roundabouts were supposed to be traffic islands but presumably changed to just ramps at some point during the public evaluation.

The original proposal shows 14 ramps over the 1.4km stretch. 11 submissions were received about the ramps.

The Islands grew today...well a few of them anyway...Lts see what tomorrow brings.

Looks like they stop a bit just before Fernleigh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A few random speed checks by the Gardai during a month would have sorted this out without ramps. Of courses thats asking the impossible. I wonder will the speed bumps do much for the speeding, since you don't have to slow down that much if you cross them bang on in the middle. I hate ramps, but the speeding was brutal on that road.

BostonB wrote: »
    A few random speed checks by the Gardai during a month would have sorted this out without ramps. Of courses thats asking the impossible. I wonder will the speed bumps do much for the speeding, since you don't have to slow down that much if you cross them bang on in the middle. I hate ramps, but the speeding was brutal on that road.

They seem to be working. Will bumps appear inbetween the islands neeared Ferneigh/Roundabout?

Its hard to get to go over them in the middle..

I wonder will the speed bumps do much for the speeding, since you don't have to slow down that much if you cross them bang on in the middle.
    IMO they don't work on the Riverwood side anyway. I think that people will speed up again as they used to the new ramps.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote: »
    IMO they don't work on the Riverwood side anyway. I think that people will speed up again as they used to the new ramps.

Even on some of the smaller roads people race down them. Its amazing no ones been killed from someone speeding in the area tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Why pay for speed bumps when you can have pot holes for free

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They're a bloody nuisance. Where's it going to stop - ramps on the m50?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

These ramps seem lethal to me. I would imagine they are very difficult to see at night. I see lots of the attached bollards to the centre islands have been knocked down already. I don't think they are safe.

so they now have the correct signage on them, the luminous yellow with a blue/white arrow on them...
    Very hard not to see!..

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I hate them! They are lethal in a small car wtih small wheels (which I have), I have to almost stop to get over them in one piece - fine if you have an SUV or anything suited to offroad driving :mad:

...I have to almost stop to get over them in one piece...

Isn't that the whole point?

My daily hack is a small car, small wheel, and its not too bad if put one wheel on the ramp and one wheel off it. Though anything that gets me out of the car and on the bike more often has too be good.

I hate them! They are lethal in a small car wtih small wheels (which I have), I have to almost stop to get over them in one piece - fine if you have an SUV or anything suited to offroad driving :mad:
    Would it be okay if you moved to the side of them, so one side of the car goes over the ramp while the other wheels are on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

daymobrew wrote: »
    Would it be okay if you moved to the side of them, so one side of the car goes over the ramp while the other wheels are on the ground?

Isn't that was most people do at all speed ramps these days?

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Isn't that was most people do at all speed ramps these days?

No some ramps you can fit over, completely, other ramps don't have a break and cover the whole width of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭30H!3

These ramps are f**king stupid.

They are small enough so anyone with a big car capable of easily speeding (Eg. bmw, merc, honda, jeeps, etc) will have a large enough wheel track that they can just cruise through them.

Isn't that the whole point?

My daily hack is a small car, small wheel, and its not too bad if put one wheel on the ramp and one wheel off it. Though anything that gets me out of the car and on the bike more often has too be good.[/QUOTN

No it shouldn't be, grinding to a halt and slowing down are two very different things. Speedbumps are there to make sure motorists maintain a certain speed, which is fine, I have no problem with that. My problem with these is that because my car/wheels etc are so small I have to drop down to second gear, minus 15mph to get over them safely (all of them) without demolishing my car. To be honest, I'll just use the other road from now on, the speed bumps there are much more manageble, I can do them at 25mph without tearing out the underside of my car and ruining my suspension :D

There is something wrong with your car if all that happens going over those ramps. Everyone else seem to be managing around 40~50km/h and only slowing slightly for the ramps.

If you have a sports/firm/lowered suspension and low profile tyre's, I would imagine you'd have to slow down a lot more. But in a regular car with regular profile tyres you shouldn't have a problem.

Be interesting to see will the ramps reduce the rat run traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Folks, let us remember why the ramps are been installed
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055662006

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Folks, let us remember why the ramps are been installed
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055662006

Speeding on that road is a problem yes.

But that accident wasn't related to speeding.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Why pay for speed bumps when you can have pot holes for free

Speaking of which....

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/fake-potholes.shtml

There is something wrong with your car if all that happens going over those ramps. Everyone else seem to be managing around 40~50km/h and only slowing slightly for the ramps.

If you have a sports/firm/lowered suspension and low profile tyre's, I would imagine you'd have to slow down a lot more. But in a regular car with regular profile tyres you shouldn't have a problem.

Yes but if my car is made from LEGO...I'm in trouble..;)

dSleeper wrote: »
    Yes but if my car is made from LEGO...I'm in trouble..;)

http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2008/10/20/lego-ferrari-formula-1-car/
    :D

To be honest I don't think there is, its in pretty good nick, well cared for, just passed its nct but it just happens to have very small tyres not made for coping with speed ramps that high and I do think they are pretty severe. If I was in a jeep sure or even a big salon car just not in a little 1ltr runaround :o

• Advertisement

Sorry but if going over these ramps, is "tearing out the underside of my car" you have a problem. It shouldn't touch it at all.

Advertisement