Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB employee perks

Options
  • 10-08-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

According to Fine Gael which was later confirmed by AIB, AIB bank spends €2,500 annually on each employee for their social and gym memberships when last week they described as crucial the decision to raise interest rates by 0.5%. This is an absolute disgrace why are we bailing out banks when they cant't even cut back on these kinds of perks when the rest of us cant put food on the table or pay or bills because of cutbacks and job losses??:mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

how does it cost 2500 for a gym membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Bit of a non-story this.

The couple of million that they spend wouldnt put a dent in the black hole that is the banking crisis. What it does do is give a small bit of business to community centres, local gyms and golf courses. It also supposed to help keep fat feckers that little bit fitter in the hope that they dont die or clog up the health service. Plus loads of companies do this.

I'd be more worried about the fact that they are probably going to layoff about 2000 people of the next 2 years, I'd rather they paid the gym fees and kept the staff on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Random wrote: »
    how does it cost 2500 for a gym membership?

€6950 plus VAT for this annual membership. I understand that AIB pays 50% of the gym or social membership fee and the employee pays the balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

BornToKill wrote: »
    I understand that AIB pays 50% of the gym or social membership fee and the employee pays the balance.

Exactly and BIK on this.
    Realy, lots of companies do this. Not up to that level but certainly get a corporate rate at gyms, golf courses or other clubs.

Non story
    And most staff won't hit the 2,500 limit, few enough would be paying thousands and thousands on golf clubs and gyms.
    You can join excellent gyms for even 400 euro a year. AIB would pay 200 in that case

And if you can't put food on the table then you need help OP, don't post things like that just for dramatic effect.

Aer Lingus have ALSAA, now that's an even better deal then this! Amazing clubs and facilites up there, lucky them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Aren't Jackie Skelly's gyms only around the €250 mark in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Bit of a non-story this.

The couple of million that they spend wouldnt put a dent in the black hole that is the banking crisis. What it does do is give a small bit of business to community centres, local gyms and golf courses. It also supposed to help keep fat feckers that little bit fitter in the hope that they dont die or clog up the health service. Plus loads of companies do this.

I'd be more worried about the fact that they are probably going to layoff about 2000 people of the next 2 years, I'd rather they paid the gym fees and kept the staff on.

Why keep the staff on, the are losing money no need for all the staff they have at the minute, why would banks be any different.

The perks should be withdrawn it doesnt matter how small the amount is, fact is they are loss making and have to cut costs. A limit of €2500 what gym are we sending the bankers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so? every major company provides benefit like this to their employees.

Exactly and BIK on this.
    Realy, lots of companies do this. Not up to that level but certainly get a corporate rate at gyms, golf courses or other clubs.

Non story
    And most staff won't hit the 2,500 limit, few enough would be paying thousands and thousands on golf clubs and gyms.
    You can join excellent gyms for even 400 euro a year. AIB would pay 200 in that case

And if you can't put food on the table then you need help OP, don't post things like that just for dramatic effect.

Aer Lingus have ALSAA, now that's an even better deal then this! Amazing clubs and facilites up there, lucky them

Do all these other companies receive huge tax payer bail outs. The banks have to cut costs all costs no matter how small - employees will just have to pay out of there own wages like the majority of people.

The banks have to cut costs, its just a sympton of how bank employees feel they should be treated different.

Oh which of these other major companies, are receiving tax payer bail outs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

yes but not every major company requires billions of state owned assests to operate in business. The amount of people who lost their jobs or have have levies imposed and wages reduced for these banks who then increase interest rates that are 'essestial' for them to make profits...at the same time providing these extravagant benefits to employee's!!!surely when the banks were in danger of collapse they should have cut these benefits and other costs and taken other courses of actions to stay in business before asking for a bailout!!the majority of people are enduring very harsh times whilst bank employee's still have gym and social events paid by them by the banks that we as taxpayers injected billions into!!isnt anyone else infuriated??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

talla10 wrote: »
    yes but not every major company requires billions of state owned assests to operate in business. The amount of people who lost their jobs or have have levies imposed and wages reduced for these banks who then increase interest rates that are 'essestial' for them to make profits...at the same time providing these extravagant benefits to employee's!!!surely when the banks were in danger of collapse they should have cut these benefits and other costs and taken other courses of actions to stay in business before asking for a bailout!!the majority of people are enduring very harsh times whilst bank employee's still have gym and social events paid by them by the banks that we as taxpayers injected billions into!!isnt anyone else infuriated??

They don't. The benefits are taxed (i.e. BIK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

According to Fine Gael which was later confirmed by AIB, AIB bank spends €2,500 annually on each employee for their social and gym memberships when last week they described as crucial the decision to raise interest rates by 0.5%.

That's not true at all. AIB does not spend €2,500 annually on each employee. Staff who choose to take out memberships can avail of the scheme, and the maximum amount is €2,500, depending on rank. Every employee of the bank does not avail of the scheme and of those who do, most do not get the full €2,500.

This is an absolute disgrace why are we bailing out banks when they cant't even cut back on these kinds of perks when the rest of us cant put food on the table or pay or bills because of cutbacks and job losses??:mad::mad:

What's a disgrace? Misrepresenting the facts?

waster81 wrote: »
    A limit of €2500 what gym are we sending the bankers to.

Read the posts.
    It's not just for gyms.
    An employee has to pay 5,000 per year to reach this limit. There only a handful of golf courses in the country that charge over this.
    Plus you pay BIK on it.

Only a small fraction of staff would hit this 2,500 limit. Do you know anyone who spends 5,000 a year on gyms and golf memberships?

Now don't have a heart attack over this waster81 :eek:
    AIB pays heath insurance and for professional exams for their staff also.
    For some reason they want to help their staff upskill, what outrage

Better cut these perks too I suppose

Read the posts.
    It's not just for gyms.
    An employee has to pay 5,000 per year to reach this limit. There only a handful of golf courses in the country that charge over this.
    Plus you pay BIK on it.

Only a small fraction of staff would hit this 2,500 limit. Do you know anyone who spends 5,000 a year on gyms and golf memberships?

Now don't have a heart attack over this waster81 :eek:
    AIB pays heath insurance and for professional exams for their staff also.
    For some reason they want to help their staff upskill, what outrage

Better cut these perks too I suppose

Why the limit so - cut it down to €500 when they start to make profit again and aint relyin on tax payer for a bail out - until then pay outta their own pocket

Money spent upskilling their employees you having a laugh, these the same employees that caused all the problems - money well spent - you said it yourself outrageous

Yes all AIB staff caused all the problems :pac:

Even the lady who cashes your cheque and wants to do a course on team leadership so she can apply to be an officer.
    Her especially!

You're throwing out terms like bankers as if these are not even real people.

Relax.
    And try to understand how this 2,500 limit works. You came in all guns blazing without even reading posts.

Yes all AIB staff caused all the problems :pac:

Even the lady who cashes your cheque and wants to do a course on team leadership so she can apply to be an officer.
    Her especially!

You're throwing out terms like bankers as if these are not even real people.

Relax.
    And try to understand how this 2,500 limit works. You came in all guns blazing without even reading posts.

The banks have to cut costs that are not necessary and these are one of them.

Did i say she caused the problems - you said they upskilled their staff i very much doubt it from the level of service one receives in a bank.

wow touchin a sore point with the bankers - i think you need to relax take a deep breath

You know if you're replying to somebody directly above you , you don't need to quote them?
    Every single time

If you received poor service in a branch and did nothing about it, that is your fault. Officers and managers are there to escalate complaints to so use them. Well as a taxpayer I'm sure you'll say "I pay your wages!"
    Or do you sit there, fume at poor service and moan on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Oh which of these other major companies, are receiving tax payer bail outs

I may be wrong, but weren't you in favour of the CP agreement, which maintained the benefits and unnecessary swathes of staff in the public sector, whose employer is essentially broke?

lol - thanks and your telling me to relax serious problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

People here seem to be missing the point the OP was making. AIB is haemorrhaging money and needs the state to bail it out. Any savings, no matter how small, will go towards reducing the amount the taxpayers, you, me and everyone in the state, will have to contribute to the rotten mess that is the Irish banking system.

As for the argument that the perks given to staff represent some kind of boost to gyms and health clubs, since when was it a banks responsibility to provide economic stimulus money, loans excluded of course.

• Advertisement

You know if you're replying to somebody directly above you , you don't need to quote them?
    Every single time

If you received poor service in a branch and did nothing about it, that is your fault. Officers and managers are there to escalate complaints to so use them. Well as a taxpayer I'm sure you'll say "I pay your wages!"
    Or do you sit there, fume at poor service and moan on boards

Have io got your premission to quote you now

So your just making up things i say now - where did i say i did nothing about it - for your info contacted manager and surprisingly nothing happened

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

The banks have to cut costs that are not necessary and these are one of them.

Did i say she caused the problems - you said they upskilled their staff i very much doubt it from the level of service one receives in a bank.

wow touchin a sore point with the bankers - i think you need to relax take a deep breath

You're using this ridiculous catch all phrase "bankers".

It's a ridiculous phrase which lumps the lowly bank teller in with Seanie Fitz.

Welease wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but weren't you in favour of the CP agreement, which maintained the benefits and unnecessary swathes of staff in the public sector, whose employer is essentially broke?

Other companies in the private sector receiving bail outs who are still paying out perks which should be cut as part of cost cutting exercise - feel free to name them

Other companies in the private sector receiving bail outs who are still paying out perks which should be cut as part of cost cutting exercise - feel free to name them

Thats not what I asked :)

Did you not support the CP agreement? (if I am wrong, no offense meant)..

I can't see how you could support one, and be aggrieved with the other..

main question re topic thread asked not answered

why do aib employees feel they should receive the perks when banks are receiving bail outs - loss making - they are looking for areas to cut and save money for their shareholders - so why not cut these

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

then all the employees would be taking them to court for breach of contract and/or look for compensation.

secondly the vast majority of those employees did nothing wrong, why should they be punished?

They will be looking for upwards of 3,000 redundancies soon enough anyway so plenty of savings there...

BOI will have similar benefits and neither of these is a patch on the public sector benefits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

It's a ridiculous phrase which lumps the lowly bank teller in with Seanie Fitz.
    Indeed, their role in bringing the country to its knees and in destroying the savings of many trusting individuals and in imposing hugh tax levies and pay cuts on businesses and workers (for decades to come) to bail out their companies failed investments was that they "were only following orders".

I think stopping the perks of staff in state-supported insititutions, such as AIB might be a very healthy reality check.

main question re topic thread asked not answered

why do aib employees feel they should receive the perks when banks are receiving bail outs - loss making - they are looking for areas to cut and save money for their shareholders - so why not cut these

We both know the answer... because the government are willing to dish out taxpayers money to many companies and services with scant regard to value for money..

As usual for Ireland, some people are happy when they get to benefit directly from this type of lax fiscal management, but whensome else is the recipient their moral outrage knows no bounds.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

secondly the vast majority of those employees did nothing wrong, why should they be punished?
    They are not being "punished". Their employers are broke, requiring the taxpayer to bail them out. If it wasn't for the taxpayer, these employees would all be unemployed.

It's no different than the PS: the state is broke too, so their pay has to be cut. Right waster81?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

They will be looking for upwards of 3,000 redundancies soon enough anyway so plenty of savings there...

i never said any employee did anything wrong i'd just making the point that when a business such as AIB is losing the money it reports that is is then they have to look at where to make savings and these social and gym payments should be done away to save money!!

and if they do away with these expenses maybe they wont need 3,000 redundancies they may save enough money to save jobs!!

and what did any other employee who has lost their jobs in last 2 years do wrong??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement