Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching Movies

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Chrizfitz wrote: »
    If you downlad a digital copy of your dvd saving you countless hours of encoding is it still considered piracy? .

No, you've paid for the content when you buy the dvd, thats how these movie dowload sites are still in business.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

BopNiblets wrote: »
    The default video player on SGS plays mkvs for me, what's with all this extra app business? :p

what is the default player called then? Im kinda new to my phone and have yet to press all the buttons or read the manual for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I can confirm RockPlayer Universal works on the Samsung Galaxy.

I've two new questions (great way to spend a bank holiday eh?)

1. What is the benefit of Rock Player over the standard Samsung Video Player? I loaded to MP4 files onto my SD card today and they play the same on the stock Video Player as they do on RockPlayer, at least as far as I can tell.

2. What is the best resolution to save video files for playback on the Samsung 4 inch screen? Is is H264 1024 x 600?

Beginning to get the hang of this now and really looking forward to watching a few seasons of The Wire on my flight. The box set I got for my birthday has been gatering dust here for a few months, I never got past season 2.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

what is the default player called then? Im kinda new to my phone and have yet to press all the buttons or read the manual for that matter.
    It's called "Video Player" surprisingly enough, default position in the apps menu is on the second page at the bottom, green icon with a film reel, dunno how you missed it. :p

Samsung stuck a good few codecs and stuff to play vids on the phone, nice of them.

Since the screen resolution is 480 x 800 so 480p would be the most you're actually going to get.

This thread on XDA developers is good reading: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=726163

And they even have a free test video recommendation to test the difference between 480p and 720p:
    http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

gbob wrote: »
    No, you've paid for the content when you buy the dvd, thats how these movie dowload sites are still in business.

My feelings exactly so I think anyone wasting time ripping when they can just dl is insane.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

BenEadir wrote: »
    1. What is the benefit of Rock Player over the standard Samsung Video Player? I loaded to MP4 files onto my SD card today and they play the same on the stock Video Player as they do on RockPlayer, at least as far as I can tell.

Does the Samsung player play AVI files? I've no idea as I've the Desire (which doesn't).

It plays MP4 files too. But I've piles of files in avi format. Normally when I think of putting some TV or movie on my phone is 2 mins before I'm heading out the door. To get it to MP4 means spending time converting the files. So I normally didn't bother.

With RockPlayer or ArcMedia you just copy the files onto the phone with no messing about. Sure they're bigger files but if I'm watching one TV episode, I just watch it and delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

Does the Samsung player play AVI files? I've no idea as I've the Desire (which doesn't).

It plays MP4 files too. But I've piles of files in avi format. Normally when I think of putting some TV or movie on my phone is 2 mins before I'm heading out the door. To get it to MP4 means spending time converting the files. So I normally didn't bother.

With RockPlayer or ArcMedia you just copy the files onto the phone with no messing about. Sure they're bigger files but if I'm watching one TV episode, I just watch it and delete it.

Yeah the samsung has played everything I have thrown at it so far even hd.mkv but the resolution can be an issue. I use the phone for browsing and media most, and you just cant go wrong with the tv out through the 3.5mm jack.

I have 32gig in the phone atm and it is more that enough for my needs the only time I might need more space is if I was travelling. And now with 2.2 I can play flash so I have infinite shows/movies. I also have 3 batteries and I always have one of them charged for a backup.

Best media phone I have ever had, I knew that the min I used the stock music and video players.

Advertisement