Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching Movies

Options
  • 10-08-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Im just wondering what software people are using for putting movies onto your devices, and what resolution you are putting them at?

Going to have a long journey soon, so might stick a few episodes of something on it!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Drag and drop, Rock player. ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for that.

Will Rock convert them down?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

antodeco wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Will Rock convert them down?

Convert from what format? Rock plays avi, divx and mkv natively

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Convert from what format? Rock plays avi, divx and mkv natively

^^ This. Life is too short for converting video files. :D

Sorry, i should have said compress! :o I dont fancy putting on a 1Gb movie for screen which only needs a smaller resolution due to its size!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Unless you've got HD movies then I don't see any reason to compress them. All 700MB to 1.2GB movie files I have are at a smaller resolution than the Desire's screen anyway. Although I suppose it depends on which phone you have...

Desire: 800x480
    Legend/Hero: 480x320

A random 1.2GB avi file I have on my phone: 640x272

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Pretty much all of them are below the screen's resolution anyway. All seem to be 640x272 (Not even DVD quality)

You could try encoding them in H264 if you want to save some space but it won't do much good and even at that it will take a good while to finish encoding.

Thanks for all the replies. Its more so for space reasons than anything else. I have video encoding software on the mac anyway, so might see what size I can get the files down to, without sacrificing quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I'd imagine that lower res uses less power but higher compression such as H.264 might compromise battery life. I wonder what is the sweet spot?

I'd imagine that lower res uses less power but higher compression such as H.264 might compromise battery life. I wonder what is the sweet spot?
    Snapdragons (And pretty much every other CPU used for Android) have hardware H.264 decoding built in to their circuitry so technically they should use less power than other compression methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

Hey,

I just did a search on the Market for "Rock Player" and it gave me 3 different option:

RockPlayer (ARMv6+VFP)
    RockPlayer (ARMv7)
    RockPlayer (ARMv6)

Which of these should I use on the Desire?

Thanks

ARM V7 for the Desire and similar phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Snapdragons (And pretty much every other CPU used for Android) have hardware H.264 decoding built in to their circuitry so technically they should use less power than other compression methods.

Ah cool, that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Quick bump rather than starting a new thread. I bought a couple of BluRays last week and they both came with digital copies. I've installed them on my laptop fine but both had mobile phone versions too, in .wmv format. I've saved them onto my SD card, but when I use Rock Player to play them the picture is scrambled. I can run other .wmv files so I think it's a copyright/DRM issue, but I haven't done anything wrong! How can I get these files to work on my HTC Desire?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

just did a quick Google search there for ya

http://www.talkandroid.com/android-forums/evo-4g/5201-guide-converting-video-files-work-evo.html
    On that webpage it suggests using this
    http://removedrmfromwmv.com/
    That might solve it for ya. But I would have no idea if it works though.

Cheers buddy. You're making me feel very lazy though - I did search google first, honest!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

RockPlayer for me has a big red 'R' in the top left corner. I use ArcMedia which plays all those formats as well, and has no watermark, and doesn't keep prompting me to activate or buy.

5starpool wrote: »
    RockPlayer for me has a big red 'R' in the top left corner. I use ArcMedia which plays all those formats as well, and has no watermark, and doesn't keep prompting me to activate or buy.

I just tried arcMedia and it looks pretty good. The video is still scrambled on this file though.

I can't be the only person with this problem. Digital Copies are commonplace on Blu-Rays nowadays and I'd have thought that someone would have tried to put one on their Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I just tried arcMedia and it looks pretty good. The video is still scrambled on this file though.

I can't be the only person with this problem. Digital Copies are commonplace on Blu-Rays nowadays and I'd have thought that someone would have tried to put one on their Android.
    Just out of curiosity, how big is the file for the mobile version?

About 700mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

5starpool wrote: »

When RockPlayer first leaked there were two diffent versions. One with said red 'R' and one without. I had the red 'R' one too but quickly found the other version. I'd imagine it would still be readily available online.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    About 700mb
    What's the bitrate. I find videos with a bitrate higher than 2500kbps tend to make the videos loose sound or crash.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

When RockPlayer first leaked there were two diffent versions. One with said red 'R' and one without. I had the red 'R' one too but quickly found the other version. I'd imagine it would still be readily available online.

Ah right, cheers.

I'm happy enough with ArcMedia thingy anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Imp4movies.com , hundreds of movies in mp4 at around 300 to 600 mb, use it lots :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Lads,

I'm off on a long trip next week and would like to have as many movies as I can fit onto my 16GB SD Card.

I've two questions I'd appreciate help with:-

1. Can someone post a link to instructions or summarise how to rip/compress DVD's I already have so that I can save them to the SD card and play them?

2. Is there some way to filter the movies on http://www.imp4movies.com so that only the non premium movies are displayed? All I can ever find are movies which need a premium account in order to download.

Cheers all.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

BenEadir wrote: »
    Lads,

I'm off on a long trip next week and would like to have as many movies as I can fit onto my 16GB SD Card.

I've two questions I'd appreciate help with:-

1. Can someone post a link to instructions or summarise how to rip/compress DVD's I already have so that I can save them to the SD card and play them?

2. Is there some way to filter the movies on http://www.imp4movies.com so that only the non premium movies are displayed? All I can ever find are movies which need a premium account in order to download.

Cheers all.

Ben

1. DVDdecrypter & Handbrake are usually what i use, but it's always hit & miss getting a good conversion for me.

2. imp4movies, most movies i click on have several download options, but it really is worth the 1.99 per month for the fast download from its own servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

didnt realise that the desire could handle mkv. this is excellent news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I have the Samsung Galaxy with RockPlayer Universal installed. As a rule what format should I converting to or looking for? I guess it's a trade off between picture and sound quality, file size and compression. Which format is easiest on batter life?

I'm assuming MP4 is the way to go but would appreciate your thoughts before I start ripping my DVD's.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

BenEadir wrote: »
    I have the Samsung Galaxy with RockPlayer Universal installed. As a rule what format should I converting to or looking for? I guess it's a trade off between picture and sound quality, file size and compression. Which format is easiest on batter life?

I'm assuming MP4 is the way to go but would appreciate your thoughts before I start ripping my DVD's.

Ben

If you downlad a digital copy of your dvd saving you countless hours of encoding is it still considered piracy?

I have 32gig in my sgs so space isnt an issue and the stock player plays .avi and .mp4 the only reason I have arc installed is to play .flv I rip from sites like ted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

will that app work on the samsung galaxy s? im goning to try get it now anways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The default video player on SGS plays mkvs for me, what's with all this extra app business? :p

Advertisement