Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal recognition of transgendered people

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

Shakti wrote: »
    We didn't need 'GRAG' to outline the hypocrisy of Irish Law regarding marriage cow-towed as it is to the 'catholic church' who are indeed eminently more capable of demonstrating their hypocrisy themselves on this and other matters.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0115/catholic.html

What's GRAG? :o

(a derailing LEAP in defence of the changing face of marriage laws and hereafter any retorts can be addressed to me through PM) And Irish marriage law is changing quickly...I hardly think that using the Church as a scapegoat regarding things like this is a convincing or even viable argument anymore.

As far as I'm aware, in Ireland the only people the Church's stance on homosexuality affects are LGBT Catholics.

Everyone else seems to really not care who does what as long as they're happy and don't hurt anyone, and the laws and the Dáil are shifting to reflect that (derailment ended. Back to transitioning and workplaces).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Asry wrote: »
    What's GRAG? :o
    Gender Recognition Advisory Group

Your right its off topic,
    last point ,

If the catholic church embraced same sex marriage how long before the state would follow suit? I'd guess pretty quickly.

But if the state adopts same sex marriage on its own do you think the church would in turn?
    I don't think so more likely they (the church) would actively campaign against it.

So whose controlling who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Ireland is supposed to be a secular country. The church should have zero influence in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Very good opinion piece in today Irish Times

www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2011/0922/1224304521120.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Azure_sky wrote: »
    Ireland is supposed to be a secular country. The church should have zero influence in politics.

Indeed, and I reckon an ever increasing portion of Irish people would agree with that. (Not sure about majority but definitely a large number.)

Unfortunately, it's so ingrained in Irish society now that it will probably be a long time before the Church's influence will be fully removed, if ever. The situation has certainly improved in recent years but I don't know if we'll ever have total separation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement