Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Tebow's new haircut

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Davy, it's not bullying. Have you ever watched Hard Knocks? They always capture the hazing on camera.

Dwayne Bowe for the Chiefs was taped to the goalpost with clingfilm, and was laughing and talking to the camera during the whole thing.

Felix Jones hadn't been at training camp for more than 10 minutes when Pacman dunked a basin full of water over him. He laughed his ass off over too. His biggest grievance was that they got his food damp!

The Bengals rookies last year had to get up and perform in front of the seniors. Half of them took the piss, singing joke songs, the others took it seriously and performed tribal dances (i.e. Rey Maualuga). They didn't have any problem with it.

You really are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Tbh, I think there's a difference between making a guy carry some gear, and shaving his head, so maybe the argument isn't against hazing per sè, but against the levels of hazing.

I've been sent for the "long stand" on my first day of work, in the past, and I've laughed it off. If someone shaved my head, I'd probably be on to HR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

davyjose wrote: »
    I've been sent for the "long stand" on my first day of work, in the past, and I've laughed it off.

Glad I'm not the only one. Only in my case, it was a long weight :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I didn't fall for the long stand
    But a fitter sent me to the workshop for a fallopian tube :o

I watched Ravens Hard Knocks.
    Rookies were taped to goalposts, dumped in icy baths and made to fetch lunch for the senior players.
    Todd Heap, the first round pick took the Gandhi approach, just accepted it

I didn't like the icy baths part.
    Your ankles and wrists are taped and you are dropped into the icy bath, your head would easily go under the water and someone has to drag you up then as you're immobilized. That was out of order but the rest is no big deal at all

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Archimedes wrote: »
    Glad I'm not the only one. Only in my case, it was a long weight :o

I remember someone getting sent for a left handed hammer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Quality link

In 2008, the Lakers thought they'd help rookie Sun Yue get used to his new city of Los Angeles. So they sent the rookie out for food to the In-N-Out Burger... in Compton.

Ah now, that's going too far! :D

It was worth it. In-N-Out Burger is Quality!

Yes but sending a rookie to Compton :eek:

Harsh

Yes but sending a rookie to Compton :eek:

Harsh

Compton's not that bad. It's not a war zone. He would have had to be seriously unlucky to have had any trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Compton's not that bad. It's not a war zone. He would have had to be seriously unlucky to have had any trouble.

I would like to see you walk the streets of compton at night and come back here and say that. :D:D:D

I would like to see you walk the streets of compton at night and come back here and say that. :D:D:D

I never said at night. ;):D

i've been through some of the rougher parts of Baltimore, on foot, and survived though.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

It's demeaning and I'd love to know how many of the players go along with it just because they don't want to be the "black sheep" or look like they have no sense of humour when in reality they feel humiliated.

It's demeaning and I'd love to know how many of the players go along with it just because they don't want to be the "black sheep" or look like they have no sense of humour when in reality they feel humiliated.

Don't know the answer to that, but that's exactly what I admired (regardless of the pro/anti argument) about Bryant. Takes a lot of balls to stand up for yourself in that kind of situation.

Don't know the answer to that, but that's exactly what I admired (regardless of the pro/anti argument) about Bryant. Takes a lot of balls to stand up for yourself in that kind of situation.

But Bryant has come out and said had he known it was tradition he would have done it. He thought Williams was just being a tosser asking him to do it and said if he had know he would have carried Williams full gear and clothes. So Bryant has shown he is not against the Hazing he just misunderstood the reasons why Williams was asking him to carry his gear.

http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/cowboys/2010/07/dez-bryant-blames-media-for-controversy-says-he-didnt-know-about-hazing-tradition.html
    Dez Bryant blames media for controversy, says he didn't know about hazing tradition

Wide receiver Dez Bryant talked Tuesday for the first time since the mini hazing controversy erupted on Sunday when he refused to carry veteran receiver Roy Williams' shoulder pads into the locker room.

He expressed frustration over the media blowing something "that was nothing" out of proportion.

"It was never an issue," Bryant said. "Y'all made it an issue. It was never nothing. Y'all are trying to turn it into something."

With the fans at the Alamodome coming to his defense with derisive chants to the media, Bryant continued to vent. It's especially frustrating to him because of his concerted efforts to get off to a good start with the Cowboys after a controversy-filled final season at Oklahoma State last year. Bryant was ruled ineligible for lying to the NCAA about a dinner with former Cowboys cornerback Deion Sanders. His draft stock dropped because of concerns about his character and punctuality.

"I have been trying to do the right thing," Bryant said. "Y'all are trying to turn it into something negative. I am going to continue to do the right thing. Everybody on the team likes me, and I like eveyrbody on the team. Y'all are trying to put me and Roy against each other. That is not going to happen. We are trying to do something real special here. We are going to continue to keep trying to do that."

Bryant said he was actually blindsided by the initial request and the reaction that followed because he didn't know anything about the right of passage tradition of a rookie carrying a veteran's gear after practice. He said if he knew it was going to turn into a big story he would taken all of Williams' clothes into the locker room

"I didn't, I didn't know," Bryant said. "And like I told Roy, if I knew that situation was going to turn out this big he could have walked in with his tights on. I would have took his shoulder pads, his pants, his helmet, his socks, his shoes. I would have took everything."

Bryant said as far he is concerned, the situation is behind them. Williams maintains that Bryant will have to do something for the veterans like buy dinner.

Bryant said he has no problem with that.

"Dinner is fine," Bryant said. "I have no problem with dinner."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

Awesomeness of the Colts reveals itself yet again!!! :D

Edit: It's an extremely valid point he makes too.

Awesomeness of the Colts reveals itself yet again!!! :D

Edit: It's an extremely valid point he makes too.

Nah he just comes off as a dry sh1te really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,528 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nah he just comes off as a dry sh1te really :D
    Patriots have more Superbowls in the last decade than anybody else and they do it so maybe the Colts should take heed.;):D

I love some of the comments under that article. That because he's not getting involved with any hazing he therefore doesn't know how to have fun. Reminds me of the reaction people have when they discover that someone doesn't drink alcohol.

• Advertisement

I love some of the comments under that article. That because he's not getting involved with any hazing he therefore doesn't know how to have fun. Reminds me of the reaction people have when they discover that someone doesn't drink alcohol.

Reading comments on those articles is like reading comments on You Tube videos hilarious at best.

But I will say Peyton Manning does come off as a boring basstard in every interview he does :D So peoples perception of him will be based on what they have seen of his interviews and what not.

But I know I took a dig at him but it was in jest. His ads for Mastercard are hilarious and that NFL ad he did where he nails the kid on the head with the ball and I would recommend the Show "In their Own words" if you haven't seen them. Brilliant show and gave me a whole new respect of Peyton Manning. As it did for other players and coaches after watching them.

A few of my fav ads can't find the one where he is coaching kids.

What???

eagle eye wrote: »
    What???

He is talking about the comments underneath the article in the link. Well I hope he is :D

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/10/peyton-manning-no-rookie-hazing-in-colts-camp/

What???

The comments in the link, not in this thread. ;)

Manning is so unfunny he is actually funny.

On a serious note though, it underlines my philosophy on hazing. I'm all for (harmless) fun, but when you single out rookies and treat them like kids, how do you expect them to perform from day one?

The Colts seem to agree with that.

Patriots have more Superbowls in the last decade than anybody else and they do it so maybe the Colts should take heed.;):D

Or we could copy the Steelers ... maybe we should send Manning out to harrass women in nightclub bathrooms. :D

Advertisement