Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Tebow's new haircut

Options
  • 07-08-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,532 ✭✭✭✭

:eek:

142066183.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1281222634&Signature=dR%2BbHgDJz%2FoguMw2E%2FsD3kBbYAk%3D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Has to be rookie hazing.

Tebow is no Dez Bryant, if the senior Broncos want to take Tim Tebow down a peg he'd go along with it

So due respect for being a teamplayer, he won't whine over this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Cant see the pic in the thread but if its the pic I saw earlier its his hazing haircut.

This one

LenDale-White-Tebow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

haha and this is the QB of the future for the Broncos.

haha and this is the QB of the future for the Broncos.

Have to say out of all the haircuts done to rookies during their hazing his is not bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,532 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah thats the pic I had up tallaght. Dunno what happened to it. Anyways I know exactly what it is, but people will look at that and think its some religious thing which is why I guess they did that.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

think I'd have more respect for him if he'd stoodup to them & not let them do that

bobby wade wrote: »
    think I'd have more respect for him if he'd stoodup to them & not let them do that
    He is a quarterback not a defensive tackle:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Agreed. I've a new found respect for Dez Bryant since he stood up for himself.

Dudes why is this a big deal? Hazing is common throughout the US in High Schools to College to Pro Sports. Hazing although frowned upon by some is tradition and a bit of fun. What many of the NFL rookies went through over the last few weeks is light compared to some of the stories I have heard about hazing. Hair grows back quickly and I am sure Tebow didn't mind. It seems 99% of the Rookies laughed it off or got into it. They knew it would happen so why not just go with the flow and keep your team mates happy as they would have gone through it in the past.

Bryant on the other hand has done himself no favours. Sure fair play to him for standing his ground in some ways but really? Is the potential fall out worth it? Wow some Vet asked you to carry his pads from A to B hardly a strenuous task. If you ask me Bryant comes off as a guy who feels he is too good for all of that craic. Great attitude to have really :rolleyes: Want to hope now he actually proves himself on the field.

I agree to an extent, and Tebow took it in good spirits, and fair play to him. Not everyone's the same though, and if someone doesn't want to be a part of it, fair play to them as well. You can't FORCE people to be a part of it -- that's when it becomes an issue, IMO.

Like you said, hazing has gotten out of control at times. I personally don't see how it improves team spirit. Maybe the Veteran LB wants to show a rookie QB earning multiple times his salary who's boss, but that's just sour grapes too.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Agreed. I've a new found respect for Dez Bryant since he stood up for himself.
    Bryant is just a clown, I lost all respect for him when he wouldn't carry the pads off the field.

He is already showing that he will be a problem. I'm sure that Romo, Witten and all the other senior guys were not impressed by Bryant. Its a bonding thing.

Tebow showed he is a man's man, not that I'm surprised as I wouldn't have expected any less from him.

There's an article in SI about it, which I found interesting. Maybe that's shaped my opinion on it: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/29/hazing/index.html

Lads, just cos it's a "tradition" doesn't make it a bonding exercise. I'm sure there are lots of people who feel p!ssed off, or bullied, when they get hazed. Is it really necessary for bonding? I sincerely doubt it.

Lads, just cos it's a "tradition" doesn't make it a bonding exercise. I'm sure there are lots of people who feel p!ssed off, or bullied, when they get hazed. Is it really necessary for bonding? I sincerely doubt it.

To be fair though the level of Hazing in the NFL is pretty light and cannot be considered as anywhere near the extremes of bullying. Shaving ones hair or asking them to carry your pads to me is light hearted banter and fun. And most of the players it seems see it that way.

We aren't exactly talking about the type of hazing done in College Frat houses and some college sports teams. And most of these guys would have gone through some sort of hazing through high school and college.

Sure there is a line you don't cross no one is debating that and sure some hazing is wrong but in this case it is no more than a bit of fun.

And necessary for Bonding? Having a good bond between players could be the difference on keeping level heads when times are tough. A team that has bonded will most definitely work better together than a team full of guys who dont get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I can't understand how people bond over this childish crap tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Remember Dwayne Bowe's hazing for the Chiefs? They tied him to the goalpost with cling film lol

And necessary for Bonding? Having a good bond between players could be the difference on keeping level heads when times are tough. A team that has bonded will most definitely work better together than a team full of guys who dont get on.

Totally agree. I'm just saying there are probably better ways of bonding than that. Maybe I'm wrong, but if someone got a little over eager, shall we say, that could possibly even cause a rift.

As for Tebow, yeah, he took it well, and fair play to him. I'm still not going to condemn Bryant though.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I can't understand how people bond over this childish crap tbh.

It is group mentality really. American kids who take part in sports or join frats in college will experience this at least once in their lives. It is just a form of banter really, ok some do take it to the extreme but for the most part it is just a group of seniors having a laugh with a group of rookies. You have to grow a pair of balls quickly or it could leave you being picked on because you didnt grow a pair. Sometimes it is just better to go with the flow than be that one who goes against the grain. Especially when it is truly light hearted like a shaved head or carrying someones pads.

It is group mentality really. American kids who take part in sports or join frats in college will experience this at least once in their lives. It is just a form of banter really, ok some do take it to the extreme but for the most part it is just a group of seniors having a laugh with a group of rookies. You have to grow a pair of balls quickly or it could leave you being picked on because you didnt grow a pair. Sometimes it is just better to go with the flow than be that one who goes against the grain. Especially when it is truly light hearted like a shaved head or carrying someones pads.

Im of the opinion it takes bigger balls to say no. It might be easier to go with the flow, doesn't make it better.

Im of the opinion it takes bigger balls to say no. It might be easier to go with the flow, doesn't make it better.

Ah come on really? So for the sake of keeping everyone happy and getting on with the team mates you have to work with for the foreseeable future you wouldn't just go with the flow and get your hair shaved or carry someones pads? Especially when you are part of a team and everyone else on the team has had this done to them? Each to their own I suppose.

As someone who was bullied when I was a child I can fully appreciate forms of bullying. But in this case I find you can find yourself the black sheep of the "family" if you don't go along with it.

See the way I look it it either way the players wont get picked on or bullied whether they take part in the hazing or not. But players attitudes will most certainly be different to them. Next time there is a bonding session on, that is more appropriate and not childish or the team mates needs to depend on you for something they wont put their trust in you for being the Captain Bringdown during the original hazing.

No I wouldn't go along with it.

It's being called tradition & harmless hazing but it is bullying, minor yes but is it really an example you want to be setting for schoolkids?

• Advertisement

No I wouldn't go along with it.

It's being called tradition & harmless hazing but it is bullying, minor yes but is it really an example you want to be setting for schoolkids?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I know plenty of people who have gone through hazing in one form or another and out those people a very small minority would agree with you. Some people just need to grow thicker skin I guess especially when they are willingly going into a club or sports group where hazing is considered tradition.

But I will say in closing there is most definitely a line that shouldn't be crossed when it comes to hazing but that is another days story and this isn't the place for it.

To add to all of this Bryant has come out and said had he known Williams request was part of the Hazing he would have taken his whole uniform :D So says Al Michaels on this here Pre-season Cowgirls and Bungals game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

It takes a bigger ego, not bigger balls.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I know plenty of people who have gone through hazing in one form or another and out those people a very small minority would agree with you. Some people just need to grow thicker skin I guess especially when they are willingly going into a club or sports group where hazing is considered tradition.

But I will say in closing there is most definitely a line that shouldn't be crossed when it comes to hazing but that is another days story and this isn't the place for it.

Indeed

To clarify would Iin that postion have carried the pads? Probably yes as it's harmless i just don't agree that Bryant should be ripped for it

Would I let anyone shave my head like that HELL NO 7 if ya did ya better have 4.3 speed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I just don't like it. It's an extension of a very irritating part of human nature (and more specifically, it could be argued, American culture) that dictates fun can only be at someone else's expense. A bunch of senior players picking on a newbie is predatory and cowardly.

It's a dominance/submission thing at the end of the day. And it really says a lot about the primitive intelligence levels of these professional athletes that they can only "trust" a newcomer when they submit to their pack leaders in the form of being a sport about a prank. It shows such an ironically sad insecurity on the latter's part actually.

Like I said, not for me. And if I were a coach I'd make an example of anyone trying that kind of **** in my team - let them know who the real pack leader is ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Pretty easy to spot the kids who were bullied in school in this thread. :pac:

Neil3030 wrote: »

Like I said, not for me. And if I were a coach I'd make an example of anyone trying that kind of **** in my team - let them know who the real pack leader is ;)

Why would any coach get involved when no rules or laws have been broken. At the end of it they were simple pranks and they broke no rules. A coach would be stupid to get involved when no lines have been crossed. The fact these guys are gown men and they should be able to deal with it by themselves.

For me it boils down to ones sense of humour and the fact whether they have a pair or are somewhat thick skinned. And most of those guys should have already formed a pair of balls and hardened up considering they have most likely gone through that since high school and they play a contact sport.

Each to their own I guess.

Oh and just to add take Bryant for example. When he realised it was considered hazing and tradition he changed his mind on the subject. He thought originally Williams was just being a d1ckhead and asking him to carry his pads.

Was Bradford hazed?

I wonder if the same rules apply to someone with the weight of a franchise on them? If he was, fair enough, but I can't see that as a positive for a guy expected to carry the team on his shoulders. Alternatively, if he wasn't, it just goes to show, it's a form of bullying. Because it's aimed solely at those who "have to take it".

Was Bradford hazed?

I wonder if the same rules apply to someone with the weight of a franchise on them? If he was, fair enough, but I can't see that as a positive for a guy expected to carry the team on his shoulders. Alternatively, if he wasn't, it just goes to show, it's a form of bullying. Because it's aimed solely at those who "have to take it".

Most likely. The Rams probably didn't go to the extent of shaving heads. NFL hazing consists of many things from getting a drink for a player or carrying equipment to getting your head shaved or the extreme getting tied to goal posts. Not every team had news stories about their hazing because it most likely wasn't juicy enough for the media.

And just because Bradford is starting doesn't mean he isn't someone that has to take it. He is a rookie plain and simple and if the Rams hazed their Rookies Bradford most likely took part. Because if he didn't the media would have caught on. See what I did there. Now you are just looking for an excuse really to spin this in a really bad way.

• Advertisement

Yup he did:

http://twitter.com/OneRamsWay/status/20072363232

Just look at how they bullied Bradford :rolleyes:

Advertisement