Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC or LCA what's the difference?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

derek14ie wrote: »
    in the L.C.A. is it just a credit system or dose it also go by points.. if so what is the highest amount of points you can get?

It goes by credits, the maximum is 200 credits.
    It's not part of the 'points' CAO system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 derek14ie

Dose the L.C.A. only work on a credit system or dose it also go on the point system...? if so what is the highest amount of points you can get.?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It is not part of the 'points' system. It is not intended for people wishing to enter the CAO 'points' system directly.
    If you wish to go to further education after the LCA (and many do), you do it through the FETAC/PLC route, as many who complete the standard LC also do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Leaving Cert Established is the primary end of school assessment that the vast majority of students take. A University won't accept direct entry from Leaving Cert Applied so I'd recommend you just do LCE if you're looking to get into IT as it's the primary route to college and it's the shortest route.
    Also as said, you'd need a certain level of maths for an IT course and LCA teaches that at a lower level than LCE. LCA is more geared towards the trades and professions where a degree isn't a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 reformus

Hey all,

I did the LCA years back, i am dyslexic, but I was never tested. I was well behaved and would of always considered myself of above average intelligence, minus the typical traits of a dyslexic ;). I found school to be very frustrating and found LCA to be a blessing. As a result of doing the LCA am in a career I love and at under 30 i earn 40,000+ PA.

LCA teaching style suited me and kept me disciplined though out the 2 years, with regular assignments and tests that made up your final grade it would keep you focused and prepared for real for college and the workplace.

Why? Your employer expects you to be on your a game 24/7 not for a few weeks of the year, LCA prepares students for this.

How does cramming and regurgitating a few books make you more intelligent?

Personally I feel the LA point base system is out dated, many i know personally and professionally have university degrees and to be quite frank their not wrote the paper they are printed on, Not to be dismiss-of of those who are studious and are hard working, but these days tech jobs (in particular) have no coloration between the degrees people posses and the roles they have or are suited for.

If you have any questions, pls ask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement