Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Americans think the Irish are crazy and drink a lot'

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Australians hate the irish

americans love the irish

Don't start this up again ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Any American i've met can't drink soup !

Any Americans I've met were cheap c@n&$ when it came to drink and I know ALOT of Americans ,I've gone out with American girls and some of my family members are American citizens.it's like the whole lot of them were attacked by a bar man at one stage.they're more than happy for you to buy them drink but when it's there round they'll duck out for a slash. I cannot stand stinginess.
    Also I've noticed than new American students hanging around are pure dry balls,no craic. Always see em in town.they'll be about six of em sitting at one table,one pint and six straws ,all wearing north face jackets and not talking.they're almost like the stereotype of what people think the Germans are like!

smurgen wrote: »
    Any Americans I've met were cheap c@n&$ when it came to drink and I know ALOT of Americans ,I've gone out with American girls and some of my family members are American citizens.it's like the whole lot of them were attacked by a bar man at one stage.they're more than happy for you to buy them drink but when it's there round they'll duck out for a slash. I cannot stand stinginess.
    Also I've noticed than new American students hanging around are pure dry balls,no craic. Always see em in town.they'll be about six of em sitting at one table,one pint and six straws ,all wearing north face jackets and not talking.they're almost like the stereotype of what people think the Germans are like!

I think you need to change who you drink with...

• Site Banned Posts: 86 ✭✭Pixie69

MadsL wrote: »

Are you a yank?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pixie69 wrote: »
    Are you a yank?

Would it make a difference? I'd be of the same opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

MadsL wrote: »

Be rude to stand up cousins when they're visiting.also the irish did act like animals in isla Vista,I stayed in breakpoint in 2008 and the place was like mount joy.I was quiet the little deviant myself over there.Slept on a two cushions I found in a rubbish bin out the back of the place for 2 months,good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Pixie69 wrote: »
    Are you a yank?

Are you really a pixie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Are you really a pixie?

Are you really a hat?

Are you really a hat?

I've always believed that to be the case, so yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Australians hate the irish

americans love the irish

Do you blame them? especially with the kind of crowd that usually go to australia, they also hate poms as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I've always believed that to be the case, so yes.

Hmmm, carry on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

I think there's a huge amount of generalisation with the Americans, been to Detroit, Boston, Toledo, rural Ohio, New York and Phoenix, vast differences.

To be honest IMO, on the drinking front, they drink as much as us but we're only catching up on the drinking at home bit.

Hmmm, carry on. :)

I made the observation when I was young, I've always felt like a hat and for a while I worked in a hats shop, and it was here that I felt truly at home, surrounded by all this magnificent hats of all sorts and sizes,and it was then that I deduced, I must be a hat too. Not a lot of people seem to understand, but they wouldn't would they.

I made the observation when I was young, I've always felt like a hat and for a while I worked in a hats shop, and it was here that I felt truly at home, surrounded by all this magnificent hats of all sorts and sizes,and it was then that I deduced, I must be a hat too. Not a lot of people seem to understand, but they wouldn't would they.

Are you a fedora, trilby, topper, beret or what? Tell us, there's no judgement here.

Bollox, you're only a woolly red hat, hippy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

smurgen wrote: »

Depends where you are in the states, I found Americans in NYC drink just as much as Irish people generally, particularly the Wall Street crowd that filled the bars around time square at 5pm. Pints and chasers all the way.

SimonLynch wrote: »
    Are you a fedora, trilby, topper, beret or what? Tell us, there's no judgement here.

Bollox, you're only a woolly red hat, hippy.

I know, I didn't feel quite fabolous enough to be a fedora.

I know, I didn't feel quite fabolous enough to be a fedora.

You could always be a slouch fedora :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

*Tips Fedora* M'lady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Same over here in Canada to be honest. You've got the minority of lazy, irresponsible drunk kids absolutely destroying the name of Irish people with their reckless carry on in terms of being completely unreliable for turning up for work etc. Oz has been getting it for years too, and the reputation of younger Irish over there is mud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Bit strong, don't you think?

But see what I mean? (Mis)conceptions work both ways.

No no this is very true. Watch their news. Not one story of anything happening outside of america. Infact the only people who know about europe and what the world is truly like are those that have bothered to leave the country. Which is a small amount. The truth of the matter is I have experienced this and only in the cities do they know about different nationalities and cultures. America is an insane country in general though. I see a cop with a gun and feel scared to be around him/her. There are so many fat people which is very true. All in all the cities are the places where you'll find people of a normal variety. Which is where most tourists such as us visit! As for us Irish we are big drinkers. It's not a misconception. Just walk through Dublin on a saturday night and try walk 100 metres without an empty naggin/shoulder, puke or pint glass. You'd be hard pressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Americans love MacDonald's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm here in China and everyone thinks I'm a drunk.

The foreign community is made up of American Canadian British and everywhere else in the world.

The British guys drink just as much, the young Americans can't really drink so when they see me drinking 5 - 6 small bottles of beer they think it's a lot. Irish social lives revolve a lot around the pub, and we have a drink to get drunk attitude so you can see where they're coming from.

The American guys could quite happily sit in a coffee shop for 2 hours just buying the one coffee, they can also go to a bar and drink 1 or 2 drinks for the whole night.

So culturally different but in their eyes we are drunks and in our eyes Americans are cheap light weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Biggins wrote: »
    'Americans think the Irish are crazy and drink a lot'

Article continues: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2010/0807/1224276359790.html?via=mr

So the question I put before the jury of After Hours is: Are a small number of Irish students ruining all the rest of Irish youths chances and reputation abroad - or are we as a nation just now just exporting our version of the "British Lager Lout" ?

They are crazy and they do drink a lot, it happens to them all, when they leave their MAMMY:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Americans that think of the Irish as being funny but mad are ones that never left the shores. The ones that have been to Ireland talk lovingly of it ....... the craic, friendliness and beauty. And I've met one or two that dislike Irish people. Not straight forward but in a behind-the-scenes type of way.
    Two totally different cultures unless you go to Boston, NY, Philly, Chicago etc where there are lots of people of 1st/2nd generation. Weddings generally finish at 8PM. A friend rang us up tonight asking if we wanted to go to a Valentine's Day SpagMeatball thing at the local Knights Of Columbus Hall on Saturday Feb 15th .......... wife asked the time and was told 2 - 4PM. Silent vigorous shaking of my head elicited a "sorry we can't make it as grandchild minding duties are booked".

There are quite a few non-drinkers in my work place. Some for religious reasons, some for lifestyle reasons and some because they are afraid to let themselves go.

On the other hand, the ladies are not shy in letting you know how they feel. Or even openly discussing their sexual proclivities. And are more at ease in male company compared to girls in Ireland.

ardle1 wrote: »
    They are crazy and they do drink a lot, it happens to them all, when they leave their MAMMY:rolleyes:

Yeah. This fellow is from outside Ahascragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

WilyCoyote wrote: »

Is that Ahascragh in Galway or Cork?

WikiHow wrote: »
    WilyCoyote wrote: »

Is that Ahascragh in Galway or Cork?

The one down the road from Abbeyknockmoy!

Let's leave this 4 years ago where it belongs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement