Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Americans think the Irish are crazy and drink a lot'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

..did you mean that The Irish would NEVER take over the world' sorry ist already being pointed out but I canna help meself. :D

That's exactly what I meant. Typed it on my phone and quite often don't re-read posts made on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Some Irish students were throwing microwaves into a swimming pool. It’s been going on for years.

THE POOL, THE POOL, THE POOL IS ON FIRE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭seawolf145

SV wrote: »
    Do you understand the concept of HALF?

Main Entry: 1half
    Pronunciation: \ˈhaf, ˈhäf\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural halves \ˈhavz, ˈhävz\
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English healf; akin to Old High German halb half
    Date: before 12th century
    1 a : either of two equal parts that compose something; also : a part approximately equal to one of these <half the distance> <the larger half of the fortune> b : half an hour —used in designation of time
    2 : one of a pair: as a : partner b : semester, term c : either of the two equal periods that together make up the playing time of some games (as football); also : the midpoint in playing time <the score was tied at the half>
    3 : half-dollar
    4 : halfback
    by half : by a great deal
    by halves : in part : halfheartedly
    half again as : one-and-a-half times as <half again as many>
    in half : into two equal or nearly equal parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

seawolf145 wrote: »
    Main Entry: 1half
    Pronunciation: \ˈhaf, ˈhäf\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural halves \ˈhavz, ˈhävz\
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English healf; akin to Old High German halb half
    Date: before 12th century
    1 a : either of two equal parts that compose something; also : a part approximately equal to one of these <half the distance> <the larger half of the fortune> b : half an hour —used in designation of time
    2 : one of a pair: as a : partner b : semester, term c : either of the two equal periods that together make up the playing time of some games (as football); also : the midpoint in playing time <the score was tied at the half>
    3 : half-dollar
    4 : halfback
    by half : by a great deal
    by halves : in part : halfheartedly
    half again as : one-and-a-half times as <half again as many>
    in half : into two equal or nearly equal parts

Tis all well and good being able to look that up but you need to kind of learn what it means..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭seawolf145

SV wrote: »
    Tis all well and good being able to look that up but you need to kind of learn what it means..

Yeah he he only kidding i know half irish was maybe stretching it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

That doesn't mean he can tolerate irish illegals in America. Oh my God plenty of irish illegals in America. They are taking up Jobs illegally and taking up American jobs too. Unbelievable

As I read that; all I could of was Maddox's profound commentary here and here on the matter.

So, do your arms get tired much holding up that large tar brush?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Just found out that the guy writing the article was allegedly arrested several times.

Just when you think there is a newspaper you can trust. They go off and perform some nepotism for a politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭HorsesNHarleys

Wow, I'd have to say this thread is a real eye opener. First, I never realized how many Irish despise Americans. Secondly, I think that article is very misleading and is not representative of how the majority of Americans feel towards the Irish. You should also take into consideration the location they're are talking about, California, nobody in America really takes what folks from the left coast say seriously, everyone knows Californians are a bit daffy anyways.

American teenagers are guilty of doing the exact same things when they go out on their Spring Break and the colleges here have problems with the kids going on drinking binges. I'm not saying it's okay or making excuses for any of them, but Irish teenagers have not cornered the market on this kind of behavior.

Seafields, Killer-Pigeon, 47, Wagon, Seawolf145 where did y'all stay (what city) during your visit to the United States and what did you like most about the place you visited?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Most Irish people dont hate Americans at all, its only a small minority and usually Irish people just take the piss.
    Having lived in America i found that i was loved from a high for being Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Why is this a surprise? It is shocking how much Irish people drink, both at home or abroad.

That said, the situation was probably exacerbated by the fact that they were in San Diego, which has to be one of the most uptight cities in America...and that's saying a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

I too have noticed this to be the case, American girls seem to go crazy for Irish guys!

case 1: a friend of mine actually married an American girl, nice girl, but she openly admits him being Irish and with her family having 'Irish' heritage was a factor, in the sense her family urged her to marry the Irish guy!

case 2: group of 19-22 years olds i know went on J1 to California! They left (cause of the Irish gob****es there) and went on to Vegas and New York, the Irish girls were peeved cause the lads were getting hit on too often by American girls, constantly over there!

they also mentioned in California there wasn't much to do, and they found the cops hated the Irish there.They reported that there were no problems in Vegas or New York though!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

At least we only get drunk, we don't go round starting unholy wars on other nations!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

I stayed in those Breakepoint apartments in Isla Vista back in 2008, it was fairly crazy back then things got messy and a lot of the other apartments got trashed!

We seemed to be the quiet ones, the place was a kip though, the landlord was never around and he let anyone stay there and kept everyones deposit when they left!
    He's right to keep the deposits of the damaged apartments but he kept ours and it was in PERFECT condition upon leaving!

I also agree with the american lads not liking us because of jealousy it was very clear, but a bunch of them loved us too!

It really does need to calm down there though even I think it went too far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

spaceman67 wrote: »
    After spendind some time in dublin I think OMG, Irish are not really europeans, ,you are drinking like there is no tomorrow , you are disrespectfull to your neighbours, your puke is everywhere,street of dublin are filthy ,you are noisy at night. You think this behaviour is fun and something to be proud of ? , wow impressive you got drunk in CA and people should admire you for that? go to ibiza and do that there, but you can't trash place,and if you came to work you work and have fun, but behave. Europeans know you as bunch of trashy drunks so do americans,sorry but you dont deserve no respect, and your accent SUCKS

At least we can spell...Use capital letters at the start of sentences too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Who gives a fook what the yanks think of us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,842 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

kfallon wrote: »
    Who gives a fook what the yanks think of us!!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Irish are popular in the States, there's a lot of people with Irish heritage. It also helps that we're perceived as being a fairly friendly nation (i.e. the reputation for a few drinks and banter, open to chatting and having the craic with people and we generally haven't pissed off too many people being neutral and all that).

As Irish, if asked we call ourselves Irish, seems obvious. Most Americans dont call themselves Americans, they call themselves Irish, Spanish, German or whatever depending what their heritage is. So they like to Identify with simlar people, they like meeting people from their own culture as they like to identify with it.

As far as the drinking goes. It's a different culture, we arent as Americanised as people think. Look at an Irish/UK drama. It's usually set around a pub. A lot of American shows are based around a coffee shop or some other hangout.

I don't blame the San Diegans not really liking the Irish. Thousands of underagers coming in drinking and making a mess. 19 year olds have no place there. The Irish take it as a joke but the drinking age is 21, and its very strict. Its law to ID anyone under 40 even going into a resteraunt which serves alcohol.

The drinking age means pub culture isn't as big. Everything closes at 6pm here, the options to meet friends are limited to the Pub.
    In the States everything opens late, people hang out in cafes, resteraunts, go shopping, or whatever. The drinking age means theres a certain demographic get into house parties and stuff during college and some just don't really get into it, they are into other scene's which we dont have the option of really. So the idea of a "quiet night" where you have 5 pints with your friends in the pub is lost on them really. 5 drinks means there's a party going on to Americans. Its not their fault its just a different culture.

Someone mentioned American girls too. Again, different culture. Irish girls are known for not making moves, playing hard to get, not letting on they like a guy, etc. I don't know the reasons but thats how it goes a lot of the time. In America it's different. People are generally more upfront. If a girl likes you, she will talk to you. Even if she doesn't like it, she's more likely to have a full blown conversation with you just for the banter where as Irish girls are more standoffish in those regards as any male interaction and they get the idea the guy is chatting them up. Again, its a different culture, it's more platonic, guys and girls can be much more up front without people reading between the lines and assuming if a guy says Hi that he's chatting you up. but its also more open. If a girl or guy likes you, they'll make it known, they dont generally bother with the Irish way of "My friend says will ya meet her" and all that rubbish.

Its a different culture, we do drink more, we do have a drinking culture. I'm not really sure why people in Ireland are so shocked travelling to different countries and finding it, well... different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Biggins wrote: »
    So the question I put before the jury of After Hours is: Are a small number of Irish students ruining all the rest of Irish youths chances and reputation abroad - or are we as a nation just now just exporting our version of the "British Lager Lout" ?

It's not a small number in my experience, unless the same prats have been moving from city to city. IMO it's been brutal the last few years, the sense of entitlement and of being 'untouchable' of some of the Irish J1's in the States was shocking. Heard plenty of negative stories about them while I was there. Only the Irish fools to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Any American i've met can't drink soup !
    Does he know obama?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

prinz wrote: »
    It's not a small number in my experience, unless the same prats have been moving from city to city. IMO it's been brutal the last few years, the sense of entitlement and of being 'untouchable' of some of the Irish J1's in the States was shocking. Heard plenty of negative stories about them while I was there. Only the Irish fools to blame.

Yeah, my brother moved to Australia nearly 7 years ago and he's said that the natives attitude to the Irish has changed a lot in that time.

People are getting sick of the drunken, 'havin' the craic', 20 something Irish who go over for a year or two to drink. Most half decent property rental companies won't even deal with the Irish anymore because they are well known for being bad neighbours who just trash the places they rent. We're almost not welcome anymore.

We treat other countries like they were simply founded to be playgrounds for us to go be savage, drunken idiots in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Wow, I'd have to say this thread is a real eye opener. First, I never realized how many Irish despise Americans. Secondly, I think that article is very misleading and is not representative of how the majority of Americans feel towards the Irish. You should also take into consideration the location they're are talking about, California, nobody in America really takes what folks from the left coast say seriously, everyone knows Californians are a bit daffy anyways.

American teenagers are guilty of doing the exact same things when they go out on their Spring Break and the colleges here have problems with the kids going on drinking binges. I'm not saying it's okay or making excuses for any of them, but Irish teenagers have not cornered the market on this kind of behavior.

Seafields, Killer-Pigeon, 47, Wagon, Seawolf145 where did y'all stay (what city) during your visit to the United States and what did you like most about the place you visited?
    alabama.

Most Irish people dont hate Americans at all, its only a small minority and usually Irish people just take the piss.
    I too have noticed this to be the case, American girls seem to go crazy for Irish guys!

The accent is dead sexy.

The whiskey dick, not so much. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

The accent is dead sexy.

really??? you think so? I disagree! :) it must be an American girls 'Colin Farrell' esq fantasy! :D

The whiskey dick, not so much. :(

the what??? :confused::)

really??? you think so? I disagree! :) it must be an American girls 'Colin Farrell' esq fantasy! :D

Hm, I see you are from Cork. Yes, you can disagree about the accent...:p

It's the combination of accent + charm + twinkly eyes...mmm...(drools...).

the what??? :confused::)

Oh dear. Let's just say it is another reason why excessive drinking by the Irish is a problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Copper23 wrote: »

Someone mentioned American girls too. Again, different culture. Irish girls are known for not making moves, playing hard to get, not letting on they like a guy, etc. I don't know the reasons but thats how it goes a lot of the time. In America it's different. People are generally more upfront. If a girl likes you, she will talk to you. Even if she doesn't like it, she's more likely to have a full blown conversation with you just for the banter where as Irish girls are more standoffish in those regards as any male interaction and they get the idea the guy is chatting them up. Again, its a different culture, it's more platonic, guys and girls can be much more up front without people reading between the lines and assuming if a guy says Hi that he's chatting you up. but its also more open. If a girl or guy likes you, they'll make it known, they dont generally bother with the Irish way of "My friend says will ya meet her" and all that rubbish.

I wonder is it the whole mixed schools versus separated schools thing that causes a lot of the difference there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

kfallon wrote: »
    At least we only get drunk, we don't go round starting unholy wars on other nations!
    Ah now come on !

If there was enough of us we'd create queer havoc around the world !

By the sound of it though we are small in number some are giving the auld havoc a right aul lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

ವಾಯುಸೇನೆಗೆ ಸೇರಿದ, ಆದರೆ ಚಾಲಕನೂ ಸೈನಿಕನೂ ಅಲ್ಲದ, ಅಧಿಕಾರಿ ಯಾ ನೌಕರ
    ವಾಯುಸೇನೆಗೆ ಸೇರಿದ, ಆದರೆ ಚಾಲಕನೂ ಸೈನಿಕನೂ ಅಲ್ಲದ, ಅಧಿಕಾರಿ ಯಾ ನೌಕರವಾಯುಸೇನೆಗೆ ಸೇರಿದ, ಆದರೆ ಚಾಲಕನೂ ಸೈನಿಕನೂ ಅಲ್ಲದ, ಅಧಿಕಾರಿ ಯಾ ನೌಕರ
    ವಾಯುಸೇನೆಗೆ ಸೇರಿದ, ಆದರೆ ಚಾಲಕನೂ ಸೈನಿಕನೂ ಅಲ್ಲದ, ಅಧಿಕಾರಿ ಯಾ ನೌಕರವಾಯುಸೇನೆಗೆ ಸೇರಿದ, ಆದರೆ ಚಾಲಕನೂ ಸೈನಿಕನೂ ಅಲ್ಲದ, ಅಧಿಕಾರಿ ಯಾ ನೌಕರ
    ವಾಯುಸೇನೆಗೆ ಸೇರಿದ, ಆದರೆ ಚಾಲಕನೂ ಸೈನಿಕನೂ ಅಲ್ಲದ, ಅಧಿಕಾರಿ ಯಾ ನೌಕರo

I don't envisage this ending well for you:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I don't envisage this ending well for you:pac::pac:

Well done at catching him.

Took me a minute to figure out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters