Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Million Dollar Psychic

Options
  • 06-08-2010 3:48pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

Dr Matthew Smith has decided to see if he can win the JRef Million. I havent read much about it yet, but am posting here, so y'all can keep an eye on his progress.

Link to blog here.

Link to facebook page here.

Should be an interesting journey.

Comments

Pah giving James Randi more air time. Maybe he can sell more books.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

I haven't heard much about Dr Matthew Smith, but I will read about him from the given link. He sounds interesting profile to study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

Pah giving James Randi more air time. Maybe he can sell more books.

Ouch. Wouldn't it be more interesting if james Randi was proved wrong by someone who can prove psychic powers. Your response is extraordinary as it makes you come over as someone who wants to hate James Randi, rather than someone who wants to find the truth. that in itself is telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

His book, 'Anomalous Experiences' looks interesting. Covers some interesting subjects.

His comments about getting an incredulous email from the head dude at the BadPsychics website are also interesting.
    Am I Going GaGa?

That is the question I have been asking myself ever since receiving an email from the man who runs a website called BadPsychics*.

As its name suggests, BadPsychics is largely dedicated to exposing ‘psychics’ and ‘mediums’ as nothing more than frauds and conmen (or conwomen); or at the very least as individuals who are deluded into thinking they might have paranormal abilities. The website also hosts a collection of forums on which members debate (or perhaps debunk) the latest psychic to grace our television screens.

The email was to inform me that someone had posted to one of the forums asking if Dr Matthew Smith had gone gaga as they had read that I had been quoted as describing a particular medium as ‘one of the most impressive mediums I have seen’.

You might wonder why anyone would care if I had gone gaga. Well it all stemmed from the fact that the good folks at BadPsychics knew me as a voice for the ‘sceptical community’ through my involvement on a TV show called Most Haunted. My role, as a psychologist and parapsychologist, was to put forward alternative explanations for apparently paranormal occurrences that took place during an investigation of an allegedly haunted location. As far as this programme was concerned, I was the ‘voice of reason’ who did not believe in ghosts and was there to ensure that the rational explanation for any apparently ghostly phenomena was heard.

So to be quoted as describing a medium as one of the most impressive I’d seen clearly raised a few eyebrows. But being sceptical doesn’t, or at least shouldn’t, rule out being open to apparently paranormal phenomena. It is more to do with having a questioning approach to unusual and extraordinary claims.

Mediums claim to communicate with spirits of the dead. By anyone’s account, this is quite a remarkable claim and so it is reasonable to be sceptical. But I am also intrigued. Many mediums give messages that are rather vague and likely to apply to quite a few people, and so they do not provide compelling evidence that they really are receiving messages from the dead.

However, on the several occasions I’ve seen this particular medium perform, he has given messages that seem to contain both accurate and specific details such as names (first and last), dates, even addresses. He has even been known to provide such information under conditions that seem to rule out some of the more obvious non-paranormal explanations like cold-reading. So, yes, I am happy to be quoted as regarding this medium as one of the most impressive mediums I have seen.

The question I am now asking myself is, how does he do it? Is he really communicating with spirits of the dead? Is he drawing upon some other as yet unexplained power of the mind like telepathy? Or is there some other non-paranormal explanation for his apparent abilities?

These are the really interesting questions to ask. And sceptics should ask questions – they should seek to find answers – not make assumptions.

*The BadPsychics website has since closed down.

RE: BadPsychics closing down. You know, if he hadn't pissed off all the psychics, maybe one of them might have been able to foresee the site's closure and then warn him?!!

Hee, hee.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you know who he is referring to in that quote?

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Do you know who he is referring to in that quote?

Yeah, his name is Jon Donnis, an Australian bloke, I think. Below is his departing letter. Apparently he was on the receiving end of abuse from various sorts, including disgruntled psychics. Oh dear...
    Hi,

If you are getting this email, it is because for one reason or another you are in my BadPsychics related address book.

Many of you will know and understand what I have had to go through not only in recent months, but in recent years.

Events of the past month or so have left me disheartened, not only with running a skeptical website but with the skeptical
    community as a whole.

For 6 years I have turned a 5 page website about Derek Acorah and Most Haunted into the UK's largest skeptical network.
    Millions of page views each month, sites covering everything from psychics to homeopathy, from ghosts to religion.
    If its woo we were there!

We were true fore runners in the skeptical podcast scene. Long before the likes of Righteous Indignation, the BadCast, and all the other PodCasts doing the rounds right now, we were bring to you the Audiomartini PodCast, a show which ended up being broadcast to hundreds of thousands of people across America!

Whatever we did, we accepted nothing less than being the biggest and the best.

But as many of you will know the battle is one we can not win. And as popular as my sites have become I am still just one man.
    I have no Phd, I do not write books which become best sellers, I do not do TV or radio, I only ever did my sites out of a truly altruistic
    motive. I wanted to try and stop fraud where the government and trading standards either refused or were unable.

We had some great support over the years, people like James Randi and Derren Brown, saw BadPsychics as a great resource and
    recommended us.

I had a regular column in The Skeptic magazine, both the UK and Australian version. I have now quit both.

My site was quoted not only in UK newspapers and TV, but in the media world wide.

But now the time has come for me to step down. When the very people who should be speaking up for skepticism, and fighting the good fight turn their backs on you just to make a quick buck that tells me that this is not a fight I can do any more.

The death threats, the racist abuse, the daily attacks and legal threats simply have become too much. Why should I put up with these when I make no living from what I do? Why should I take these people on when the very people who can help me turn their backs on me just to sell a few tickets to a gig they have.

Skepticism in the UK is corrupt, not as bad as the psychic industry, but it is getting there.

So this is it guys, maybe one day I will bring back BadPsychics, never say never is my motto, but as far as I am concerned as of right now.
    I QUIT.

To those that helped me, I thank you.
    To those that hurt me, I forgive you
    To those that turned their backs on me, good luck with your conscience.

Thank you and Jon Donnis has left the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Jon Donnis will not be forgotten. A good man in a sea of charlatans.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Sounds like an utter asshole to be honest.

KeithAFC wrote: »

That you should make such a judgement, based on what he "sounds like", says more about you that you thank I imagine you might like to reveal.

edwinkane wrote: »
    That you should make such a judgement, based on what he "sounds like", says more about you that you thank I imagine you might like to reveal.
    Not really. Seen many of his comments and he is an embarrassment and not a true skeptic. Good skeptics i know dislike him. Plus, iv seen many skeptics have a go at him too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 MrJonDonnis

RE: BadPsychics closing down. You know, if he hadn't pissed off all the psychics, maybe one of them might have been able to foresee the site's closure and then warn him?!!

Good point.
    Did you know that Colin Fry has stated on his Facebook as well as to me personally that he wishes I had not closed the site and that I would bring it back.

Derek Acorah also contacted me and told of his disappointment.

So yes the two mediums I have exposed the most appreciated the word I do the most, plus are in regular contact with me even to this day.

Strange how things turn out.

Yeah, his name is Jon Donnis, an Australian bloke, I think. Below is his departing letter. Apparently he was on the receiving end of abuse from various sorts, including disgruntled psychics. Oh dear...

Nope not Australian, I am British with a a Greek Cypriot heritage, but I have worked with Richard Saunders, Australian Skeptics etc in the past and also opened up an Australian based BadPsychics website too.

Jon Donnis will not be forgotten. A good man in a sea of charlatans.

Thank you, that is a very nice comment and very much appreciated.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but really you should get to know me first.

Not really. Seen many of his comments and he is an embarrassment and not a true skeptic. Good skeptics i know dislike him. Plus, iv seen many skeptics have a go at him too.

You know I no longer refer to myself as a skeptic, to be honest I feel embarrassed to be associated with the skeptical community in the UK despite having such a huge impact.

Skepticism in the UK has undergone a huge change in recent years and one I disagree with.

I always advocated altruism within skepticism, for me it was always about the message and never about the person.

Now we have skeptics who are only interested in plugging books, doing tours, and promoting themselves.

I have taken on a few skeptics, in fact I took on the whole of the Rational SKepticism site and proved a major point regarding the way academic type skeptics treat people.

I am not an academic, I don't quote Latin, and I treat people as equals.

When I was racially abused by a famous psychic, it was other psychics who jumped to defend and help me, whereas the Z-List skeptic who was associated with said skeptic did everything in his power to cover it up and protect his own career and future tour and book with said psychic.

It has been over a year since I closed down my site and I have stood by my word when I said I was closing it down, many doubted me and said it was a stunt and I would be back after a few months.

Regarding Matthew Smith.
    You may be interested to know that pretty much EVERYTHING he is doing in relationship to learning mediumship, I did 7 years ago.
    I published a 7 page spread chronicling that in The Skeptic Magazine a few years ago.

I never earned a penny for that featured article, nor did I ever make any money from completing a mediumship course and learning about such things.

Matthew Smith when starting off his "journey" contacted me and asked me in depth about my experiences as I was pretty much the first "big name" skeptic to ever do anything like this.

The point is I did it to learn, I did it to find out the truth and to experience the other side of the argument, something that no other skeptics ever do.

Matthew is doing it purely as part of a career move.

That's the difference between someone like him and someone like me.

People like himself, Richard Wiseman, Chris French would come to me for help and advice.

Jon Donnis - Founder of Birmingham Skeptics in the Pub!

While you are entitled to your views, that you called him an "asshole" it says more about you than anyone else, and that you stoop to calling someone names and hurling abuse demeans you and makes you sound like a fishwife.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Welcome Jon, its great to have you posting here. I always liked your site, massively entertaining.

Is there anywhere still online where you chronicle your journey to the 'other side'? :) Id love to hear how that went for you.

Welcome Jon, its great to have you posting here. I always liked your site, massively entertaining.

Is there anywhere still online where you chronicle your journey to the 'other side'? :) Id love to hear how that went for you.

Thank you thats very kind of you to say.

Sorry I dont believe my diaries are anywhere online, since I was the feature and selling point of that episode of the Skeptic I had to remove it from the net.

The funny thing is that since it happened 7 years ago, I was actually a very different person then, and many people were very surprised at my experienes

While you are entitled to your views, that you called him an "asshole" it says more about you than anyone else, and that you stoop to calling someone names and hurling abuse demeans you and makes you sound like a fishwife.

You know I have no problem if people want to call me names, that is their right.
    If someone thinks I am an asshole, then fine, but I prefer if they explain why they think that.

I am more interested to know why.

You know I have no problem if people want to call me names, that is their right.
    If someone thinks I am an asshole, then fine, but I prefer if they explain why they think that.

I am more interested to know why.

I'm the same and understand that if someone is a name caller, it says more about them than the person they are calling names. No amount of explanation can excuse calling names, and it just makes the name caller sound like a fishwife, and makes me think they are not worth discussing anything with if they end up name calling and hurling abuse.

I'm the same and understand that if someone is a name caller, it says more about them than the person they are calling names. No amount of explanation can excuse calling names, and it just makes the name caller sound like a fishwife, and makes me think they are not worth discussing anything with if they end up name calling and hurling abuse.

What is a fishwife?

The problem is if you dismiss the namecaller, then you achieve nothing.
    I have been abused by the most hardened believer as well as the most hardcore skeptic, but I have found that if you can get to the root of the hatred, or even the dislike you can understand and sometimes learn something.

One example is a journalist by the name of William Brougham, He had it out for me after I exposed Sally Morgan as a fraud, we forced her to remove false claims from her site and generally showed the world the truth behind what she did.

Now William had received a reading from Sally in the past, and although he claimed he was a skeptic, he was obviously very much a believer.

Now this guy started putting anti-Jon videos on youtube, and generally attacked me day in day out.

But in the end I managed to show him how she had done the reading, as well as show him that I wasn't this evil person that so many people had made out.

These days he is a close friend of mine, a regular attendee of Australian Skeptics in the Pub, and also has been admin on my forum.

The point is that people can change, people can grow and people can learn.

Just because someone is abusive doesn't mean you should just forget about them, ignore them or even attack back.

The biggest enemy can sometimes become the biggest allie and defender

Ok, i apologise Jon. Glad to see you put your side of the story across. Why did you close your website?

Ok, i apologise Jon. Glad to see you put your side of the story across. Why did you close your website?

No need to apologise.

I believe someone already posted a mass email I sent out at the time, I suppose my thinking has changed a lot since then.

Looking back it was a lot of things that built up that made me close the site, but I guess the final straw that broke this camels back was when a skeptic I respected, defended and helped turned their back on me in order to protect a contract they had with a medium.

It was just that one let down to many, the last thing.

At that point I just lost my passion, I know that spiritualism is currupt, the psychic industry as a whole is currupt, but when I reluctantly had to accept that the skeptical community and industry as it is now is just as currupt, I decided it was a fight too far for me, and that my fight against psychics and mediums was over.

You could say I lost my faith in skepticism.

It is a shame that no one else out there has the passion I had.

• Advertisement

I think i know who you are on about. I respect your decision. Good to see Derek and Fry give you some support i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eirexile

You can read a version of it here:
    http://spiritlove.freeforums.org/post20115.html#p20115

Matthew Smith is a special guest on the forum also, talking about his project here:
    http://spiritlove.freeforums.org/dr-matthew-smith-million-dollar-psychic-t1241.html

Eirexile wrote: »
    You can read a version of it here:
    http://spiritlove.freeforums.org/post20115.html#p20115

Matthew Smith is a special guest on the forum also, talking about his project here:
    http://spiritlove.freeforums.org/dr-matthew-smith-million-dollar-psychic-t1241.html

Oh god, I thought I had gotten away from the Spiritlove mob! lol
    Which one are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eirexile

Oh god, I thought I had gotten away from the Spiritlove mob! lol
    Which one are you?

The Irish one. ;)

Eirexile wrote: »
    The Irish one. ;)

That doesn't help.
    Are you one of the middle aged housewives, or are you one of the brave skeptics

Good point.
    Did you know that Colin Fry has stated on his Facebook as well as to me personally that he wishes I had not closed the site and that I would bring it back.

Derek Acorah also contacted me and told of his disappointment.

So yes the two mediums I have exposed the most appreciated the work I do the most, plus are in regular contact with me even to this day.

Strange how things turn out.

Hi Jon. Thanks for having the courage to come on here and reply (even after KeithAFC calling you an "asshole" when he hasn't even met you).

That's gas about Derek Acorah and Colin Fry. I actually met Derek Acorah last year - I headed along to one of his shows in London to see what it was like - and he's a very nice bloke. I'm not too sure about his, er, 'work' but he is a nice man. Very strong and fit too (which was another thing that struck me about him, aside from how nice he actually is) considering he's around 60 now.

Dunno about Colin Fry. Actually, Colin Fry is the bulb off the comedian/actor Paul Whitehouse, lol. Spitting image of him. :D

I'd say Acorah and Fry are disappointed you closed down the site because they might have viewed your site as a form of 'quality control' (even though they may not be the people to decide that). You could also argue that they saw your site as useful because it lambasted their 'competitors' in equal measure, giving them a very small 'edge' over them. Maybe.

Nope not Australian, I am British with a a Greek Cypriot heritage, but I have worked with Richard Saunders, Australian Skeptics etc in the past and also opened up an Australian based BadPsychics website too.

Sorry, I can't remember where I got that - you're Australian - from. Sorry about that. Maybe it was the Australian-based BadPsychics that led me to assume that. Cool heritage, btw. :)

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but really you should get to know me first.
    +1
    You know I no longer refer to myself as a skeptic, to be honest I feel embarrassed to be associated with the skeptical community in the UK despite having such a huge impact.

Skepticism in the UK has undergone a huge change in recent years and one I disagree with.

I always advocated altruism within skepticism, for me it was always about the message and never about the person.

Now we have skeptics who are only interested in plugging books, doing tours, and promoting themselves.

I have taken on a few skeptics, in fact I took on the whole of the Rational SKepticism site and proved a major point regarding the way academic type skeptics treat people.

I am not an academic, I don't quote Latin, and I treat people as equals.

It's true that scepticism has become a handsome little earner for some (naming no names), which would make you question their motives, e.g. they aren't being fervent sceptics for 'the good of the people'.
    When I was racially abused by a famous psychic, it was other psychics who jumped to defend and help me, whereas the Z-List skeptic who was associated with said skeptic did everything in his power to cover it up and protect his own career and future tour and book with said psychic.

Jesus, really? Did it go that far? God. The sceptic's actions say a lot about the type of person he is. Sorry to hear that anyway.
    It has been over a year since I closed down my site and I have stood by my word when I said I was closing it down, many doubted me and said it was a stunt and I would be back after a few months.

You should always follow your own nose with these things, regardless of what other people think.

Hi Jon. Thanks for having the courage to come on here and reply (even after KeithAFC calling you an "asshole" when he hasn't even met you).

Hey its not courage, not the first or last time someone has insulted me, its all water off a ducks back with me.
    That's gas about Derek Acorah and Colin Fry.Very strong and fit too (which was another thing that struck me about him, aside from how nice he actually is) considering he's around 60 now.

I'm not gay but I can understand peoples fascination with him.
    I'd say Acorah and Fry are disappointed you closed down the site because they might have viewed your site as a form of 'quality control' (even though they may not be the people to decide that). You could also argue that they saw your site as useful because it lambasted their 'competitors' in equal measure, giving them a very small 'edge' over them. Maybe.

Perhaps, but without doubt Derek and Colin got the most attention on my site.
    I do think it was very much about me policing their industry where as they cant.
    Sorry, I can't remember where I got that - you're Australian - from. Sorry about that. Maybe it was the Australian-based BadPsychics that led me to assume that. Cool heritage, btw. :)

Yes possibly.
    It's true that scepticism has become a handsome little earner for some (naming no names), which would make you question their motives, e.g. they aren't being fervent sceptics for 'the good of the people'.

I have no problem with people who have made money in their lives being skeptics. Someone like Richard Wiseman who is a millionaire from his book on Luck, is a good example, someone i respect a lot as he has made a very good career from educating people as well as entertaining.

But when you see people like Ciaran O'Keeffe and now Matthew Smith making a career by using psychics etc it does leave a bad taste in the mouth.
    (I have no problems naming names)
    Jesus, really? Did it go that far? God. The sceptic's actions say a lot about the type of person he is. Sorry to hear that anyway.

I have had more problems in my life from Skeptics than I ever had from psychics who i exposed.
    The thing i think is that skeptics are way smarter and know more dirty tricks.
    Psychics in general are a bit thick.

I'm not gay.

[...] One example is a journalist by the name of William Brougham, He had it out for me after I exposed Sally Morgan as a fraud, we forced her to remove false claims from her site and generally showed the world the truth behind what she did.

Now William had received a reading from Sally in the past, and although he claimed he was a skeptic, he was obviously very much a believer.

Now this guy started putting anti-Jon videos on youtube, and generally attacked me day in day out.

But in the end I managed to show him how she had done the reading, as well as show him that I wasn't this evil person that so many people had made out. [...]

Sally Morgan has always got under my skin.

I read a very good, balanced article concerning her and her work by The Independent UK before:

Sally Morgan, her supporters argue, is different. She has a genuine gift; and, looking at her cuttings file, she has undeniably converted at least one tabloid journalist from hardened skeptic to such a level of enthusiastic endorsement that it would be no surprise to find him selling Morgan's merchandise in the foyer at her next appearance.

The medium uses no crystals or other props, nor does she affect an otherworldly tone when communicating with the dead. She begins with a series of observations that are broadly general, but accurate to a point that, in one or two cases, I find uncanny. She tells me I am unhappy in the kind of flat countryside that dominates the south-east of England and would be more at ease among mountains – a widely shared feeling, I'm sure, but one which I admit to articulating more regularly than friends might like. She says that a central character in a novel I am finishing has an Iranian background, as they do. She adds that somebody from Iran is going to change my life forever, and seems to imply that I could relocate to that mountainous country, to which I can only say, no plans as yet.

"Does the name Boz, or Baz, mean anything?"

"No."

"Oz?"

"No."

"Have you recently done an interview with Gascoigne?"

"No."

"It needn't be Paul Gascoigne... it could be Bascoyne... it could be a place..."

"No."

"Caroline?"

"No."

"You have problems sleeping."

"I was up at five this morning. One look at my eyes could tell you that."

"No. It's to do with your thought patterns. I see you as a twin. Were you a twin?"

"No."

She gives plausible but fairly generalised character sketches of my wife and her younger sister; there's nothing that would impress Wiseman. And no names. But when I show her a picture of an ex-girlfriend, suddenly Sally's on fire.

"People might say: 'Oh my God. This girl is a nut-nut.' I get very sad when I look at her. It's as though everything she thought was there just slipped through her fingers. Some people deliberately destroy relationships before they have run their course, because they think they are going to end anyway. She has that feeling about her. There is a bit of a mental side to her."

"I'll say."

I show her two photographs of my friend, the artist Ralph Steadman. In one he's alone, in relaxed mood, adjusting his fez, towards the end of a longish pool party. In the other he's with Bill Murray and Johnny Depp (who has his back to camera) at a bar counter in Aspen, the day after Hunter S Thompson's memorial service. She doesn't pick up on, or recognise, either of the actors.

"He [Steadman] is a sensible man," she tells me, examining the fez picture. "He is a good man but he is feeling pressure at the moment. With him, what you see is what you get. He has a kind of Mediterranean ability to love and to be open."

These are surprisingly accurate, if broad, observations. Morgan fires out more first names, such as Peter and Lesley, none of which relate to me – though, as she says, they might do in the future.

"You have a sister, don't you?"

"No."

She picks up a picture of my parents with my brother. She asks whether my father is dead.

"Yes."

"He is showing me his left hand. There is a chain in it; could be a key-ring. He says he realises now that he was claustrophobic, but he didn't realise it at the time."

(I'd say, from my experience, that this last assessment is correct. Very bizarrely, I had a conversation on this exact subject, with my brother, a couple of weeks ago.)

"He is saying her name." She points at my mother. "Joanie. Joan..."

"Bloody hell."

"Is Joan in spirit?"

"No. She's in Manchester."

"Joan and... Michael John. Who's Michael John?"

"That's my [only] brother."

Most of her other statements would require some leap of faith by the sitter: my father worked at a chain factory, for instance, something which a confirmed believer might seize on. But the names, as I would tell Richard Wiseman afterwards, constitute something of an atomic direct hit. I'm not on sites such as Facebook, MySpace or Friends Reunited. As far as I'm aware, the only information about me in the public domain is on book jackets, where it says that I grew up in Manchester. And of course Morgan doesn't know me: she actually reminds me, at one point in the conversation, of how, earlier on, she accidentally called me Richard.

Full article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/sally-morgan-i-am-not-mad-i-am-not-unhingedi-talk-to-dead-people-942336.html

My favourite part is:

Sally: "Is Joan in spirit?"

Robert Chalmers (reporter): "No. She's in Manchester."

Lmao.

Keith Lemon/Leigh Francis taking the piss out of Sally Morgan (forward on to 04:08) on 'Celebrity Juice' is a classic:

• Advertisement

And another thing.. You'd think that you, as someone who has been attacked about your racial/cultural heritage, would have acquired enough sense to not go around inferring that other people are "gay" (sexuality being another personal facet of someone) when you don't even know them.

I don't have any problem whatsoever with gay people, but what I do have a problem with is seemingly ignorant people like yourself - who don't have a f ucking clue about me - mislabelling me.

Good to see you've learned a lot from your past experiences.

Advertisement