Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark Chapman

Options
  • 06-08-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

I see Lennons killer is up for parole... yet again! zzz. I don't think he should ever get out. He is only 55, plus it's insulting and pain inducing to the living members of Lennons family if he is let walk now. Unacceptable. He will be in danger himself if he is released anyway. Pointless.

In his parole board hearing in 2004 he described his plans, if paroled, as follows: "I would immediately try to find a job, and I really want to go from place to place, at least in the state, church to church, and tell people what happened to me and point them the way to Christ."
    Yep, sounds perfectly normal to me.. NOT. Obviously an idiot. what parole board wants to hear a convicted murderer say they plan to go from "place to place" upon release.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/lennon-killer-still-a-threat-yoko-2286825.html
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Murderers here can get out in half that time, that's what's really pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Watch out Ringo!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

30 years is enough, now let him live a little.
    If that will even be possible after so long in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He's done (more than) his time and if he is not assessed to be a danger, he should get parole.

I loved Lennon, but that said, you can't say that a celebrity life is better than a normal life, although I can see that a great artist being taken from the world is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

The Beatles are dying in the wrong order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Nope. Paul died first. Then John , the best-beatle George and finally lovable Richard Starkey (2012).

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭8mv

That's quite a nasty statement, Royal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The only reason to keep him in is to prevent some other crazy from then going and killing him once he is out. If it's determined that he has done his time and is not a danger to anyone else then there isn't any reason to keep him locked up though, just they will have to spend even more on sorting him a new identity to protect the public from themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Indeed. He killed the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Tony_Yeboah

I agree that his life would proably be in danger if he was released. Imagine (no pun intended) all the crazy Beatle fans looking for revenge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Must post him Jedwards new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

He did John Lennon PLC (a Yoko Ono subsidary) a favour by martyring him.

The guy has served his time, he should be let out. The only reason he has been kept in so long is because of who he shot, not what he did.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I really want Ringo to be last man standing. I wish the Fat Controller would release Mark Chapman", chuffed Thomas to Edward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

so the consensus is let the guy out to live the remainder (maybe 20 or 25 years) of his life, he has done his time.
    I would not be so liberal. He premeditated and murdered someone. I don't think he should be out just because he is no longer dangerous. I could murder someone today and in 2 years time be judged "not a danger to society". should I be out and about? If you take a life, you should pay the ultimate price. life in prison. you've taken someones life. Thats it. They are gone. whats that you say? mistake? reformed? ok so. off you go sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

biko wrote: »
    30 years is enough, now let him live a little.
    If that will even be possible after so long in jail.

How can you say that when he has murdered someone . The least he can do is see out his days in prison.
    John Lennon can't come back after 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

i think this needs a similar approach to the scum who killed james bolger. if he is released he will never be safe and would need a new identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

''when the world's overrun, by too many bands, who's it time for? Mark Chapman!''

100gSoma wrote: »
    so the consensus is let the guy out to live the remainder (maybe 20 or 25 years) of his life, he has done his time.
    I would not be so liberal. He premeditated and murdered someone. I don't think he should be out just because he is no longer dangerous. I could murder someone today and in 2 years time be judged "not a danger to society". should I be out and about? If you take a life, you should pay the ultimate price. life in prison. you've taken someones life. Thats it. They are gone. whats that you say? mistake? reformed? ok so. off you go sir.

He wasn't sentenced to life without parole. He has served the minimum time specified by his sentence (20 years) and has been denied parole in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008. He has been kept in purely because of the political heat they would recieve if he was to be released, and because of danger to him from Lennon fans. Neither of which are adequate reasons to keep a man who has served his time locked up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I could murder someone today and in 2 years time be judged "not a danger to society". should I be out and about?

But you wouldn't have served the penalty that the courts had imposed on you within those two year so if you are a threat to society or not would be irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

bonerm wrote: »
    Nope. Paul died first.

Back to the Conspiracy Theory forum with your nonsense

• Advertisement

natsuko wrote: »
    ''when the world's overrun, by too many bands, who's it time for? Mark Chapman!''

You Too :eek: ;)

He wasn't sentenced to life without parole. He has served the minimum time specified by his sentence (20 years) and has been denied parole in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008. He has been kept in purely because of the political heat they would recieve if he was to be released, and because of danger to him from Lennon fans. Neither of which are adequate reasons to keep a man who has served his time locked up.

Sorry if I am assuming incorrectly.
    I think he means if you are convicted of murder you should have your life taken away by spending it in prison till you die. For all murders not a la carte justice determined by who you are and who you may have killed.

Murder = life in prison at a minimum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

He should be let out, but on condition that he picks up where he left off.

Kasabian wrote: »
    Sorry if I am assuming incorrectly.
    I think he means if you are convicted of murder you should have your life taken away by spending it in prison till you die. For all murders not a la carte justice determined by who you are and who you may have killed.

Murder = life in prison at a minimum

If he hadn't been John Lennon he shot he would have been released by now.

fair point. the issue here is not what sentence a murderer should be given. personally i believe murderers should get the death penalty or life in prison.
    but in this case he has served the sentence he was handed down by the courts so by law he should be released. people have served a lot less time for far more violent murders. chapman should receive the same treatment as every other convicted murderer and not be treated differently because he killed someone famous

Agreed but thats not what I am saying , I beleive murder should equal life in prison . No exceptions.

By law as it stands today he should be released.

I don't think it should make difference who he is. If it does, that too is a problem with the justice system, I agree. If you plan and execute someones murder I don't think you should be let back out. I'm talking about first degree murder here, not manslaughter or 2nd degree murder which might have mitigating circumstances. If your judged to be insane at the time of the murder, you should be kept in a secure hospital for life.

BTW, my feelings on this topic have spawned from the fact life is cheap these days. screwdrivers in the head type killings and death stabbings are very very common here and in the UK. I think the very liberal attitude in the UK/IRE/EU further cheapens life. Those boys who killed the poles for example, the one who viciously stabbed them in the brain with a screw driver tried to blame the all day drink and drugs binge etc. like that was some "get out of responsibility" card. He will be on the streets in less than 10 years. Thats almost a certainty! I think something is wrong with that. but, I digress...

BTW, my feelings on this topic have spawned from the fact life is cheap these days. screwdrivers in the head type killings and death stabbings are very very common here and in the UK. I think the very liberal attitude in the UK/IRE/EU further cheapens life. Those boys who killed the poles for example, the one who viciously stabbed them in the brain with a screw driver tried to blame the all day drink and drugs binge etc. like that was some "get out of responsibility" card. He will be on the streets in less than 10 years. Thats almost a certainty! I think something is wrong with that. but, I digress...

agreed. there is no such thing as justice in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Kasabian wrote: »
    Agreed but thats not what I am saying , I beleive murder should equal life in prison . No exceptions.

By law as it stands today he should be released.

I don't see the point in that to be honest. In theory you are saying that you want to take away the murderers life by imprisoning him for the remainder of his days. Why not just execute him altogether then, and save the state hundreds of thousands of euros?

Advertisement