Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold bridging - what cold bridging?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,887 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

BornToBe? wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance here, but could someone explain whats wrong here in this pic, I'm not a builder etc. but I'm doing my research as I will be building myself (via contractors) as oppessed to buying a semi in the suburbs. All I can see is the block is wider than the wall and block supporting it is a thinner block.
    I know its a joke to those in the know, but can someone give a brief explanation of the prob, why its a prob, and how it should be done, so I can watch out for these things in future.
    Thanks
    Look at page 3 of this.

And thats just the basic problem. There should also be insulation between the outside leaf and the inner leaf to prevent cold bridging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Quazzie wrote: »
    Where it should've been caught was when this 'blocklayer' was doing his apprenticeship. This is really where the problem begins. Lack of adequate training and education throughout the industry instead of relying on the supervising technician spotting it and having to pull the builder up on it when its too late.

Trick there is he may have done his apprenticeship 20-30 years ago, back when a cold bridge was something you'd find over a river in siberia.

I reckon an even bigger problem is attitudes towards change, I've heard some layers saying they think its nonsense doing the proper details(they still do it however :D). My experience with building is that alot people involved (tradesmen, architects, the clients themselves) have strong opinions on how things should be done, and many of them are pretty stubborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

BornToBe? wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance here, but could someone explain whats wrong here in this pic, I'm not a builder etc. but I'm doing my research as I will be building myself (via contractors) as oppessed to buying a semi in the suburbs. All I can see is the block is wider than the wall and block supporting it is a thinner block.
    I know its a joke to those in the know, but can someone give a brief explanation of the prob, why its a prob, and how it should be done, so I can watch out for these things in future.
    Thanks

Get yourself a copy of this.
    http://www.homebond.ie/house_building_manual.html

It's about 60 Euro but very well worth it.

I would recommend that you ask whatever questions you want on this forum. You will find people to be very supportive.

Advertisement