Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What a tease! No hints for what the fun event is???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Dory Dory wrote: »

Apologies DD forgot to say...Challenge Barcelona.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80074527&postcount=1864

I feel betrayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dory Dory wrote: »

Will be doing it for fun myself at this stage.

I know, I know when you asked the questions i was like ****:) In fairness M i did not tell a lie i just indirectly did not answer your question:) The missus is coming over with me especially after Roth i don't think i am allowed left to my own devices again:)

• Advertisement

Not great would have liked to have lost more but diet is still not as clean as it should be. Looking at CK photos at the weekend it is very apparent where all the weight has found its way to...my gut.
    Weight watch
    15-08 - 70.1kg / 0.2kg w/loss
    09-08 - 70.3kg / 0.6kg w/loss
    02-08 - 70.9kg

In with the man with a tan last night for a good battering (he even commented on me being a bit more portly than pre Roth:)), everything was tight quads, soleus, piriformis and i had strained a few fibers in my right lateral hamstring. Dunno how all this happened:confused:

Legs feels better today so hopefully that transfers into some decent training sometime soon.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I know, I know when you asked the questions i was like ****:) In fairness M i did not tell a lie i just indirectly did not answer your question:) The missus is coming over with me especially after Roth i don't think i am allowed left to my own devices again:)
    You should be in politics.

Oryx wrote: »
    You should be in politics.

I fear i am not corrupt enough to fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

I would be pretty confident the things that went wrong in Roth will not happen again. Just fly out on Thursday!!! and no sea food the night before the race!

Mr Tango wrote: »
    I would be pretty confident the things that went wrong in Roth will not happen again. Just fly out on Thursday!!! and no sea food the night before the race!

If the same issues sprung up in Barca it would surely be a sign from the Gods:) Flying over on Thursday this time with Michelle and we are booked into an Appt so for the most part i will be cooking my own meals....and prawns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

It's probably cheaper to eat out over there. Great selection of eateries! :cool:

Its been a week since i last posted any actual training sessions. Overall last week turned into a good one especially towards the back end of it. Starting to find some form & fitness but most importantly enjoyment for it again as coach has changed things up a little.
    The 3 sessions that kickstarted things for me again was a 45min run with 20min fartlek on the Friday when i started to find my running legs again. A 1.5hr long run on Sunday with 45min steady effort which had me back running low 4.20 pace and feeling good for it. To top it off an OW dip in a cracking lake nearby which i found for the first time (pic below) Out and back to the boat house is supposedly around 800mtrs so done two loops with the second one with a downfall of rain. Bloody class coming up to breath only to see the rain dancing on the lake, felt & looked awesome.

So just under 13hrs put down for last week,
    Swim - 4 sessions/3.15hrs/7,900mtrs
    Bike - 4 sessions/5.30hrs/171kms
    Run - 4 sessions/3.22hrs/44kms
    Core - 1 session/.45hrs

Breathtaking lake photo! It must've been a joy to swim in such a gorgeous setting. You sound like you've shed a ton of weight from your shoulders. I think you're back on track!! Woo hoo!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

pgibbo wrote: »
    It's probably cheaper to eat out over there. Great selection of eateries! :cool:

I agree, but if you've self catering (as I had when there) I'd be taking the time to cook your own pre race food or steering clear of the high risk stuff if at all possible until after the race.

Lots of time for sea food, cakes etc after the race ;)

interested wrote: »
    I agree, but if you've self catering (as I had when there) I'd be taking the time to cook your own pre race food or steering clear of the high risk stuff if at all possible until after the race.

Lots of time for sea food, cakes etc after the race ;)

Yeah thats why i booked self catering not taking a chance as 7hrs+ getting sick during physical exertion is not something i want to try again any time soon!!

Monday
    45 min Easy Run
    I took this very handy as the legs a little tired from yesterdays run. Warm out and breezy.
    Time:45.13, Dist:9.51kms, Pace:4.45km

45min coached swim session
    Down for another session with Tango. Mostly drill focussed tonight working on the front end and balance drills. We done some 25s, 50s and 100s, times were around 20-22secs for 25s, 50s coming in 48s,49s and 100s 1.43 and 1.48. Good to have someone give feedback on pooldeck and a few issues noticed. Crossing over centre line, not reaching out as hand enters the water thus reducing catch & pull phase and i am not finishing out the back end of the stroke. Essentially i am not getting as much out of each stroke as i should be.
    Time:45mins, Dist:unsure about 1.2kms

Tuesday
    1hr bike with 8x4min efforts
    Rolled out of the bed early and 5mins later i was out on the bike. Lovely morning to be out. Took 10mins easy and 5min builds before hitting 8x4min efforts from 200w to 250w with 1min recoveries. The 240w and 250w efforts bit but got through them ok.
    Time:1hr, Dist:31kms, Power:NP213w, Cad:83, Work:718kj, Pace:31kmph

45min Gym session
    Not ideal but the rest of my day is going to be a bit manic jumping from meeting to meeting. Decided to head straight to the gym after the bike as the focus is on building back up a solid core as i have done no work lately and i can feel it.
    Non stop sweatfest consisting of
    WU – 6mins /1500mtr rower
    Metcon type session – 10sec rest between each set
    20 get up sit ups
    10 per arm kettlebell squat
    20 burpees
    10 per arm renegade row
    20 dumbell thrusters
    10 chin ups
    I was fairly fcked and just managed to eek out the 10th chin rep
    Back into core work
    3 sets of 3x20 crunches with last 5 F&F
    Mat work – Plank 2mins, Side plank 1min either side, V Sit 10xholding 10secs, Oblique twist with 8kg medicine ball x30, Hip liftx20, Supermans 15 each leg holding 5 secs, Air bike crunches 1min. All done twice
    40kg bench press rep, 2x12
    bent arm dumbbell pullover, 2x12
    CD - 5min on bike & steam room

Done for the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Did you design your own core work session or did someone point you in the right direction?

I might copy it as I think I need some of that!!

Weight watch
    22-08 - 69.6kg / 0.5kg w/loss
    15-08 - 70.1kg / 0.2kg w/loss
    09-08 - 70.3kg / 0.6kg w/loss
    02-08 - 70.9kg

So slow progress and a total of 1.3kg lost over the last 3 weeks. It does make you think about being a bit more sensible when taking a break when you see whats involved to shed that excess baggage. Diet still not near as good as it should be. Likely target to get down to for Barca is 67.5kg which will be 1.5kg over ideal race weight for me. At least the running is starting to feel less laboured.

No swim this morning even though i did get up early to keep to my routine, dodgy tummy which will hopefully clear up and i get in the sessions later.
    Mr Tango wrote: »
    Did you design your own core work session or did someone point you in the right direction?

I might copy it as I think I need some of that!!

Yeah its my own, session is excellent really has you working as there is no hanging about which is often the case with people in gyms. Core as always important and a solid core will benefit across S/B/R. Correct me if i am wrong but a strong core should also help with making you more robust.

BTW get your log moved over here or do you consider yourself a runner these days and less of a triathlete:)

Not doing Lost Sheep so drop me a PM if anyone is interested in taking the slot. With it being 3 weeks out from Barca and my last big weekend of IM specific work it just does not make sense to do it without affecting Barca. Pity i was looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Who's going to be my drinking partner that night now!!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Who's going to be my drinking partner that night now!!

I know goal posts have moved with Barca IM, originally Lost Sheep was to be my end of season blow out followed by lots of beers. Enjoy it any way.

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    45min run with 3x5min steady effort
    Finally that "floating" feeling has returned to my running. I had a final session with DaveC on the Tues night and whilst it hurt like hell i think we finally sussed the problem. What i thought was tight hamstrings/glutes/piriformis for the last while was in fact a nerve issue. Seems to be sorted as legs finally feeling like they used to. Still had some tummy problems but thankfully no quick dashes to the bushes required:rolleyes:
    5min steady efforts came in at a nice controlled steady pace/effort,
    4.08km pace for 161AHR, 1.21kms c/wind
    4.05km pace for 161AHR, 1.23kms c/wind
    4.10km pace for 161AHR, 1.2kms h/wind
    Time:45mins, Dist:10.22kms, Pace:4.24km, HR:156

Swim
    Re arranged the early morning swim as i don't like missing sessions especially swimming. Session called for usual WU, some drill work and into the main set of 15x100s alt sw/p off 2.15. I was concentrating on the areas Tango highlighted to me on Monday and i was flying it for what felt like less effort than usual. Used the thumb/quad trick to ensure i was finishing out the back end of the stroke. Stroke count was down but pace reduced, long & strong.
    Times: p = 1.39, 1.41, 1.41, 1.43, 1.44, 1.42, 1.43, 1.44
    sw= 1.48, 1.47, 1.49, 1.50, 1.50, 1.49, 1.51
    Fast 50s all in between 45-47.
    Time:1hr, Dist:2600mtrs

Work gone nuts for the next 2/3 weeks so it will be a real challenge to ensure i hit every session.

Thursday
    Early start and long day in the office meant a late night start to turbo and some core work...needs must.

75min easy turbo
    Stuck on the Vuelta and kept it easy, no power numbers apart from turbo which i have calibrated to match the PM. Just went by that and hr as the battery finally gave up on the PM. Enjoyable enough, kept hr easy and cadence fresh at 92. There was 5x20 secs bursts which i kept above 500w on each one.
    Time:75mins, Dist:40.2, PowerP: turbo 183w, Cad:92,HR:127

20min core
    Planks, side planks, sit ups, burpees etc etc. Muddled through it a bit as it was very late.

Friday
    Swim
    Up and into the pool early. Not a great session and times slightly off recent improvements. Basically still half asleep in the pool before i got going.
    Time:55mins, Dist:2400mtrs

Run, 4x1km reps at 10k effort
    I was late getting out at lunchtime and nearly did not get out at all. Plan originally called for 5x1km reps with 1k recoveries but i knew i would be lucky to get 3 in, in the end managed to get 4 in.
    4 reps were tough, forgot hr but effort felt close enough to threshold or just below, solid but working all the same. Efforts came in 3.42, 3.45, 3.44 and 3.45 so controlled them well. Stringing 10 in a row could be tough:rolleyes:
    Time:44.51, Dist:10.3kms, Pace:4.21km

Plans for weekend will be a 3hr or so early bike with some HIM/OLY efforts, long run around 1.5hr and i want to get another core session in along with a nice easy 2.5k ow swim if i can down in Lough Bracken.

Special offer Lost Sheep €50 entry transfer for anyone interested, cheap as chips for a HIM:)

Special offer Lost Sheep €50 entry transfer for anyone interested, cheap as chips for a HIM:)

Back away from the offer Oryx!!!!

2 runs done in the rain this week. Thats it. Scale says 81kg.... What is the Barcelona cut off time again? :rolleyes: You seem to be making a decent fist of the run in though, fair play

2 runs done in the rain this week. Thats it. Scale says 81kg.... What is the Barcelona cut off time again? :rolleyes: You seem to be making a decent fist of the run in though, fair play

I was thinking it was rather quite on your log alright. Yeah trying to get something going again for Barca. I will be far from Roth shape and thats ok with me but want to be in decent enough shape to string a half decent race together. Looking forward to the pints on the Sunday night already:)

Saturday
    3hr Long bike with HIM/OLY paced efforts
    Battery on order for PM so done this by RPE and HR. Plan called for 4x20mins alternating with HIM and OLY efforts with 10min easy in between after 45mins easy.
    It was a good spin although avg pace was down a bit but i noticed my back wheel is fcked when cleaning the bike at home. The bearings must be gone as its not spinning freely at all. In fairness probably got over 7k out of it.
    Other than that it was enjoyable spin, headed out to Collon, Slane, Navan, Dunshaughlin, Ratoath, Ashbourne, Duleek and back into Drogheda. Rolling enough with 700mtrs of climb and plenty windy. Only felt like i was out for a short one when i got back and legs felt fine which is good.
    HIM effort 1 - 32.6kmph, 10.87kms, 143ahr - headwind&hilly
    OLY effort 1 - 35.3kmph, 11.76kms, 153ahr
    HIM effort 2 - 31.2kmph, 10.4kms, 145ahr - headwind&hilly
    OLY effort 2 - 36kmph, 12kms, 149ahr
    Time:3:23, Dist:100.78kms, Pace:29.7kmph, AHR:138bpm

50min core/strength
    Wowzers this had me hurting same as previous set although added in another circuit of Metcon, will not be doing that again in a hurry. Good session and i can feel my tummy muscles and upper body still tingling from the efforts.

Sunday
    Fantastic family day out, Tall Ships, shopping, eat out and flicks. Did not get OW swim but managed a long run.

25.65km Long Run
    This was looking unlikely to get done as the day drew on. The missus ditched me on the way back home at what i thought was the Balbriggan exit on the M1 turned out to be the Walshetown exit which added about 4 to 5km onto the planned session.
    Plan called for 45mins easy and 3x10min steady followed by 1min mod hard. I ended up doing 4x10min steady as i was out for an extra 20mins. All steady efforts coming in around 4.10/4.15km pace and mod efforts sub 4min km pace. I actually thought this was going to be a nightmare run. I was walking around all day, had pizza for lunch followed by popcorn and ice cream with the kids etc but it was actually at my sub pb marathon pace:eek: so i must have being moving well enough.
    Time:1:52, Dist:25.65kms, Pace:4:22km, AHR:155

Weekly R/U
    Turned out to be a good week although would have liked to get an OW swim in at the weekend. Happy that the running is coming back but the bike still needs a bit of work.
    Swim:3 sessions/2.40hrs/6.2kms
    Bike: 3 sessions/5.39hrs/172kms
    Run: 4 sessions/4.07hrs/55.68kms
    Core: 3 sessions/1.55hrs
    Total: 13 sessions/14.21hrs/233.88kms

good long run.. but why so fast? Thats the pace a mate of mine runs his long runs but he is aiming for 3 hours off the bike and a 2:40 standalone

Decent weeks work though, pulling some form together :cool:

• Advertisement

good long run.. but why so fast? Thats the pace a mate of mine runs his long runs but he is aiming for 3 hours off the bike and a 2:40 standalone

Decent weeks work though, pulling some form together :cool:

Mike its all within easy and steady hr zones (matched RPE as well) so not like i was pushing hard and stuck to the set plan for the session. HR for the 45min easy was 149 (mid easy) and the 10min steady efforts all at 160-163 which is steady for me. I was puzzled by the fast pace myself if i am being honest as i dont feel like i deserve that sort of pace just yet.
    Overall AHR for the session was 155 and considering the top of my easy is 154. Just one of those runs i was glad to be out and moving well.
    I assume thats MOB your talking about, how is his preparations going for Kona?

Advertisement