Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Yeah i done similiar in Cork last year started at the 4hr+ group and passed the 4hr pacers after the first few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey JB, finally catching up on logs-yours and Macanri first as ye have some business this weekend. You seemed to have a lovely time in the west, I love going home and training, so quite and great routes to take in. Long solo bike rides can be tough especially in horrible conditions so well done on that front.

I hope all goes to plan in Barca and I am sure it will, you have done the work so just bang it out now. The nerves are a good thing in my experience. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck in Barcelona JB, I really must update my own Marathon time :cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

Good luck on the weekend, hope it all goes to plan.

Hey JB, finally catching up on logs-yours and Macanri first as ye have some business this weekend. You seemed to have a lovely time in the west, I love going home and training, so quite and great routes to take in. Long solo bike rides can be tough especially in horrible conditions so well done on that front.

I hope all goes to plan in Barca and I am sure it will, you have done the work so just bang it out now. The nerves are a good thing in my experience. Good luck.
    Best of luck in Barcelona JB, I really must update my own Marathon time :cool::D

Thanks lads all the hard work done now although just working my way through a stomach bug at home right now:( Felt dodgy in the middle of the night along with the 2nd youngest kid, probably explains the **** swim session last night!!
    No panic for Barca though as they normally only last 12-24 hours and feeling better already. The joys of 4 nippers in the house is me or Mrs JB seem to take turns in picking up these little bugs when the kids have them, better now than on Saturday/Sunday.

As a matter of interest Mike what is your "soft" marathon time at the moment and how was your progression timewise from 1st/2nd marathon etc? Similiar for you El-D as i am trying to benchmark against my own running progression from last year.
    My marathon history so far is Cork 3:56, Dublin - failed sub 3:30 attempt due to injury and Barca XX:XX;XX:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Best of luck at the weekend dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Good luck in Barcelona, jackyback. Here's hoping you nail that marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks chaps hopefully i can nail a 30min+ PB:cool:

Thursday
    Club Session - 1k wu/3.6km intervals/1k wd
    After spending most of the day in bed with a gastric bug i felt much better in the evening. Young lad had club training so i went down in my running gear with no real intention of doing anything:rolleyes: They were doing sets of 6x600 so i decided to jump in, had that feeling of bundles of energy in the legs and the pace felt very easy but did not want to overdo it. Splits i think in 2.16/2.11/2.10/2.08/2.08/2.05
    Distance: 5.3km
    Time: 23:27
    Pace: 4.25km/7.06mile
    HR: 164/188

Thanks lads all the hard work done now although just working my way through a stomach bug at home right now:( Felt dodgy in the middle of the night along with the 2nd youngest kid, probably explains the **** swim session last night!!
    No panic for Barca though as they normally only last 12-24 hours and feeling better already. The joys of 4 nippers in the house is me or Mrs JB seem to take turns in picking up these little bugs when the kids have them, better now than on Saturday/Sunday.

As a matter of interest Mike what is your "soft" marathon time at the moment and how was your progression timewise from 1st/2nd marathon etc? Similiar for you El-D as i am trying to benchmark against my own running progression from last year.
    My marathon history so far is Cork 3:56, Dublin - failed sub 3:30 attempt due to injury and Barca XX:XX;XX:pac:

I've never done a marathon JB. I've done four half mara's, first one 1:57:xx and last years 1:32:xx. I am aiming for a 3:09:xx first marathon later this year in Dublin however. Good luck again and I hope that bug is totally out of the system now.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest Mike what is your "soft" marathon time at the moment and how was your progression timewise from 1st/2nd marathon etc?
    Hey JB. My first Marathon was DCM07 in 3:33, then DCM08 in 3:27 which is my best and was anything but 'soft' at the time. I did a 3:58 in Conn with a Flu in 2009 and learned a BIG lesson. Since then just a couple of 3:59 pace runs for DCM09 and DCM10

I'm doing Conn again in a few weeks and have a score to settle with it. No, I'm not going after any time.. I just want to run the whole thing! Last time I blew up and walked for miles.

I've never done a marathon JB. I've done four half mara's, first one 1:57:xx and last years 1:32:xx. I am aiming for a 3:09:xx first marathon later this year in Dublin however. Good luck again and I hope that bug is totally out of the system now.

Similair progress on the halfs as myself then, 2hr down to 1hr 36 across 3 or 4 halfs. I hope to one day get down to sub 3.10 marathon and then i can start dreaming of a sub 3 attempt:rolleyes:
    Hey JB. My first Marathon was DCM07 in 3:33, then DCM08 in 3:27 which is my best and was anything but 'soft' at the time. I did a 3:58 in Conn with a Flu in 2009 and learned a BIG lesson. Since then just a couple of 3:59 pace runs for DCM09 and DCM10

I'm doing Conn again in a few weeks and have a score to settle with it. No, I'm not going after any time.. I just want to run the whole thing! Last time I blew up and walked for miles.

Interesting a good time for your first marathon. Judging from those times a few years ago and the Waterford Half time you posted earlier in the year it seems you have made huge improvements on the running front as that pace probably has you very close to a sub 3hr attempt (using that man McMillan of course:rolleyes:)

Last training update on here until Barcelona.

Friday
    AM Swim
    In the pool for an early start as i wanted to get my cycle in at lunchtime and pack my gear this evening. Just done a pyramid session and felt muh better in the pool compared to Wednesdays session.
    Session: 300wu 100/200/300/400/500/400/300/200/100 and 200wd
    Distance: 3000mtrs
    Time: 1:05

Lunchtime Bike
    Easy going just to turn the legs over
    Distance: 19.14km & 7k commute
    Time: 41 mins
    Speed: 28kmph

Well thats all for now i hope to be back on here next week with a positive race report:). I am probably in the best shape i have ever been in so no excuses for race day, bring it on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

All the best for Barca!

Well done JB thats an excellent result man!

Well done JB thats an excellent result man!

Cheers Mike, official time 3:19:51 and all in zone 2 hr!! I will do a report tomorrow as I am off to celebrate with the rest of the boardsies.

This was my third marathon in the space of a year having previously run Cork in 3:56 and a failed 3:30 DCM attempt having to walk the last half with a hamstring tear in 4:45 so needless to say I was apprehensive going into this.

I arrived over late on the Saturday evening so late in fact that Macanri had to collect my race number (Cheers Mick) I literally dropped the bags into the room and straight out as I was going to watch the Barcelona v Zaragoza match with a few boardsies. The match was crap but it was a welcome distraction and the Nou Camp is amazing. The morning of the race I felt slightly nervous and met up with Oisin11178 and Briandrunner. My nerves relaxed slightly when I seen how bad Brian’s nerves were:D
    I was due to meet up with Meno as we had planned to run together but missed him at the start so I made my way into my pen and set off to the tunes of Barcelona (Queen) blasting out in the background.

First 10k
    I had two pace bands a sub 3:25 and sub 3:20 so the plan was to sit tight for the first 10/15km running at 3:25 pace and see how the engine was. There was a fair bit of jostling for position but I quickly got into a good rhythm. There was a small drag for about 2km around the NouCamp and then a bit of downhill. ChristieB passed me and I was going to follow him as I knew he was going for a sub 3:20 but I stuck with my plan of 3:25 pace.
    First 10km came in at 47:58, 37 seconds under 3:25 pace and 35 seconds over 3:20 pace
    10k-20k
    I really started to push on a bit and felt really good. I had made up my mind to ditch the 3:25 and go with a 3:20 attempt around the 15km mark. There was a turnaround point just before the half way mark and I seen Frank and Brian about a 1km ahead,both looked like they were in good spirits.
    This 10km came in at 47:23, 1:35:21 for the first 20km and 34 seconds off target pace.
    20k-30k
    I knew I needed to make back a bit of time and negative split the second half having ran through halfway in 1:40:36. I knocked out a couple of 4:3x kms and a few low 4:4xs to bring it back in. I passed the 15 mile marker and I seen a guy go from running to hitting the deck unconscious luckily the medics where close by so hopefully the guy is alright.
    I hit 46:39 and I knew the race was on coming through 30km bang on 2:22 and 11 secs ahead of target pace.
    30k-finish
    Up to now I did not have a wobble although around the 36km I had a few minutes of doubt but with only 6km left I soon got over it. I was passing loads of people at this stage and passed a few Irish singlets along the way. The course gave an elevation rise for the last 4km but it seemed flat enough to me. I had passed the 40km marker in 3:09:43 and 47:44 for the split. I somehow miscalculated my pace and had lost 19 seconds leaving me a few seconds off target pace.
    I worked hard for the last 2km and in particular the last 200 mtrs I needed to sprint as I mistook one of the banners as the finish line until I seen there was no clock and the real finishing line around the corner. Stopped the garmin on 3:19:51 and just prayed I was not off by chip time. Thankfully the chip time was bang on 3:19:51 and I had run a 1 minute 21 secs negative split on the second half in 1:39:15!!!

Met up with a good few boardsies after the race and had a right few pints. Head was sore this morning for the early flight back. Legs are tight today but I plan to do 20 mins later on the turbo to spin the legs out.

Well done to all as everyone seemed to come away with what they wanted, as for me I am bloody chuffed to bits taking 37 minutes off the PB. If I am honest I did not think I had a sub 3:20 in my legs yesterday and it goes to show that the training is paying off.
    Garmin summary

Terrific stuff JB, delighted for ya! All the hard training and it pays off with a perfectly paced marathon. Well done, rest easy for the week now dude. I am only realising how tough my sub 3:10 first marathon is going to be. Sounds like Barca marathon is class, I think I will put it on the calender for next year.

Terrific stuff JB, delighted for ya! All the hard training and it pays off with a perfectly paced marathon. Well done, rest easy for the week now dude. I am only realising how tough my sub 3:10 first marathon is going to be. Sounds like Barca marathon is class, I think I will put it on the calender for next year.

Thanks ElD. Yeah Barca marathon is class and the food & drink stops were fantastic, i would highly recommend it and may consider going back next year again. Looking forward to London in 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Great result!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Jaysus another one in 4 weeks :eek:

Well done great time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

Well done, a great result. Nice to see all the training coming to fruition.

Thanks for the report JB and well done again on a great result an a very nice negative split to boot! You are obviously in good shape

Now that i have a solid marathon time behind me it's time to stick the neck out and put down some projected splits for my IM. If i can get that bike time down i think i could get close to sub 11 but below is based on current pace & training whilst taking the course into consideration.
    Swim: 1:15
    T1: 0:05
    Bike: 6:40
    T2: 0:05
    Run: 3:45
    Total time: 11:50

Monday
    20 minutes on the bike to spin out the legs. I have some doms in the legs and they feel much worse than yesterday, maybe it's a sign i pushed myself harder than i first thought.
    Time: 20 minutes
    Distance: 7.9km

Tuesday
    Club session
    Took it handy and the main objective tonight was a short slow recovery run to get the legs back to normality. The first two kms were far too fast for a recovery so slowed it right down. Spent the 30 minutes reflecting on Barcelona and planning my attack on London.
    Distance: 5.18km
    Time: 30mins
    Pace: 5:47km/9.18mile

Week 16 Summary
    28th Feb - 06th Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|7|8:05|117.6km
    Swimming|2|1.45|4.6km
    Cycling|2|1:56|57.1km
    Running|3|4:24|55.9km
    Conditioning|0|0:00|Strengthening Work/Core - Gym
    Other|0|0:00|

Totals so far
    15th Nov- 06th Mar|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|182|196:20|3257.5km
    Swimming|36|31:21|94.9km
    Cycling|51|76:50|2332.2km
    Running|75|68:10|792.5km
    Conditioning|14|12:45|Strengthening Work - Gym
    Other|6|3:30|Swim coaching

Still trying to finalise a warm up triathlon prior to my half IM at the end of May, not sure if the Joey Hannon is too close with it on 3 weeks beforehand.

Now that i have a solid marathon time behind me it's time to stick the neck out and put down some projected splits for my IM. If i can get that bike time down i think i could get close to sub 11 but below is based on current pace & training whilst taking the course into consideration.
    Swim: 1:15
    T1: 0:05
    Bike: 6:40
    T2: 0:05
    Run: 3:45
    Total time: 11:50

Monday
    20 minutes on the bike to spin out the legs. I have some doms in the legs and they feel much worse than yesterday, maybe it's a sign i pushed myself harder than i first thought.
    Time: 20 minutes
    Distance: 7.9km

That would be a serious result for ironman UK, seriously, I have heard and read how tough it is. I will actually be there myself as the misses bother is doing it too so I will be there to cheer you on :)

Now my opinion on this sort of thing is questionable at the best of times i know but.......imho an olympic distance 3 weeks before a HIM sounds perfectly fine to me (although I've never done it :rolleyes:) Actually for me it's about confidence, if I have a good race 3 weeks before a big race then that confidence really does me the world of good.

That would be a serious result for ironman UK, seriously, I have heard and read how tough it is. I will actually be there myself as the misses bother is doing it too so I will be there to cheer you on :)

Now my opinion on this sort of thing is questionable at the best of times i know but.......imho an olympic distance 3 weeks before a HIM sounds perfectly fine to me (although I've never done it :rolleyes:) Actually for me it's about confidence, if I have a good race 3 weeks before a big race then that confidence really does me the world of good.

I watched the dvd Griffin sent me before i posted the times:eek: The bike course really looks savage and also a few big hills/drags in the marathon. It gave me a real good feel for what the course is like, parts of it look **** if i am being honest. I think i am regretting picking the course but i can always pick somewhere nicer next year!!

I have never done a triathlon before so the Joey Hannon would purely be for confidence and a practice run before heading into the half. I think i may go for it and just pace it sensibly.

I watched the dvd Griffin sent me before i posted the times:eek: The bike course really looks savage and also a few big hills/drags in the marathon. It gave me a real good feel for what the course is like, parts of it look **** if i am being honest. I think i am regretting picking the course but i can always pick somewhere nicer next year!!

I have never done a triathlon before so the Joey Hannon would purely be for confidence and a practice run before heading into the half. I think i may go for it and just pace it sensibly.

Ya if you paced it accordingly you should be fine. How about an OW triathlon, just for the experience of all those bodies in close proximity, chopping up the water etc... although just checked for olym distance races and there are none, Waterville is on same weekend but it's a sprint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

planning my attack on London.

7/7 style terrorist attack as you blow up is it? :D

Advertisement