Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscrone shower

Options
  • 04-08-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

What can be done?
    During the whole year, the shower in Enniscrone didn't work. I have called few times to local branch of the county council, I was talking to local business people who are directly affected by the not working shower, but first 7 months of this year, the shower just didn't work.
    And what was my surprise on Sunday afternoon?

Shower is gone!

Local county council decided to remove the shower completely. Nobody can complain about broken shower, there is no shower now.

Enniscrone my absolutely the most favorite place in the whole Ireland. The beach is the nicest and safest place I have ever been to and where I progressed from "having a surfing lesson" to "trying to surf with my own gear". I've spent three of my last holidays there. Even when I go there for one weekend day, I am going to fill up my tank there, rent (was) the surfing gear, have a nice meal, sometimes even to treat myself with hot seaweed bath and occasionally to stay in local B&B. Not to mention that I am bringing friends with me and recommending that beach to everybody I meet.

What now? Is really Sligo county council forcing me to drive every second weekend from Dublin to some other county on the west coast? Local council does not need taxes from local businesses?

Could you suggest what can be done to get the shower back and working? I will really appreciate suggestions what I can do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

Bring a few bottles of cheap mineral water, rinse off and make do until you get indoors, could'nt be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

That is not the point. The issue is that the working shower has pure benefit on local economy and joy shared by people on the beach.

Well I take it you contacted the local council, what did they say ?
    It is possible that they may be planning to upgrade the facility of course that is highly unlikely but you won't know unless you ask.
    You may find that the facility was being abused somehow.

A stainless steel pipe with one vent that was working at least the whole last year, but was out of order 7 months this year. Official response was "we are waiting for a spare part".

Edit: It is outdoor shower outside public toilets (0.5m) that are working and are being cleaned. With running water, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

As far as I know there was talk about changing rooms and showers to be erected. I know a questionnaire was handed out so possibly in the next few months it might be made...

• Advertisement

When the whole summer is over. And the best summer in last 4 years.

Giving somebody a stamp into their hands does not give them brain cells :mad:

Spare parts can be had within a week at most, so that official excuse is BS. Maintaining a "free" public shower is probably way down on the list of priorities at the local town hall now that we live in an austere economy.

Regardless of current budgetary constraints it is to be noted that many councils provide inadequate essential public facilities as standard, overflowing bins, untreated sewage discharge, toxic diseased water supply. So an itst bitsy shower faucet pales to insignificance, It's a luxury!

BTW I once offered to install a public shower free of charge at a popular bathing spot, but the committee were not interested. what does that tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

It's been a while since that shower has been working!! Did you talk to the lifeguards see if anything could be done? With summer almost over they probably won't do anything until next May!

You could also get a hose, stick it to the tap in the toilets and pull it out through the hole in the wall where the shower use to be... Then more complaints will flood in, and they might see how important the shower is to people!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

You like the beach so much, but are willing to go to another county because there is no shower? Are you serious?

The number of surf spots in Ireland with showers is such a tiny minority, surfers are a hardier bunch than that. Bring a few bottles of water with you if you really feel the need to get the salt water off.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Tramore is the same, lovely public toilets built with 2 showers outside for washing off saltwater and sand. Neither work and I've never seem them work. They might have worked before but due to the amount of cobwebs on them I doubt if it was this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭I dont know

As I was reading down the thread, I was thinking we need the like of these Guerrilla Handymen you hear about, to come along and sort things like this out, but then i read this;
    BTW I once offered to install a public shower free of charge at a popular bathing spot, but the committee were not interested. what does that tell you?
    Typical like, what was their reason? Is part of the council's job not to attract visitors to the area?
    I only live about an hour from my regular spot (bundoran) so i don't mind just getting dried off and heading home for a shower, but i could definitely see the benefits of getting a shower at the beach and heading up the town for a bit.

I can see how they might be expensive to install at first, but if they've already been installed (like in this case) it couldn't be too expensive to maintain them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I only live about an hour from my regular spot (bundoran) so i don't mind just getting dried off and heading home for a shower, but i could definitely see the benefits of getting a shower at the beach and heading up the town for a bit.

Tullan has a tap!

All the money we surfers pump into Bundoran and they supply us with a shiiitty tap.

Last time I was there I thought they'd installed some toilets, but no - it's a container with vending machines selling chocolate.

Think of the amount of money surfers bring to Bundoran by spending on:
    Petrol
    Food
    Drink
    Accomodation
    Surf gear

I can't see why either the local chamber or the council can't install a toilet/shower. It's a pain when KFC is closed and you have to head to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭I dont know

I don't even think the tap is there anymore? the last time i went to use it, it wasn't anyway.
    Given that the pipes are already there in the ground, it shouldn't be too expensive to install a beach shower - something like THIS
    Maybe the council just don't know it may be required and it needs to be brought too their attention - maybe some people would be against it! (not sure why)

Anyone know what the story is with the surfclub building at rossnowlagh? Are there changing facilities in there or is it just for the lifeguards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I heard they are going to replace it with a set of shower massage booths (basically a bunch of shower units with about 8 shower heads at different places in the wall) that'll give you a full body wash with a massage effect. Each booth will have a control panel where you can select from a range of treatments from "Easy Rinse" to "Vigourous Cleanse".

It's going to be sponsored by L'oreal so there will be top quality products available too from facial cleansers to conditioners. There will also be fashion consultants available to give advice on the latest trends in surf fashion (Power Balance wrist-bands are the must-have accessory for summer/autumn 2010!)

Oh wait a sec, you're talking about Enniscrone? Sorry I was thinking of a magical fairy land where waves are served up to you on demand and a water fairy gives you your board, straps on your leash and pushes you into waves.

Yes, that's it, here it is, you might prefer this to Enniscrone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR-y-MHRqLU

Seriously though if you want to take up an issue with a county council have a look at whats happening in Clare at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Enygma wrote: »
    I heard they are going to replace it with a set of shower massage booths (basically a bunch of shower units with about 8 shower heads at different places in the wall) that'll give you a full body wash with a massage effect. Each booth will have a control panel where you can select from a range of treatments from "Easy Rinse" to "Vigourous Cleanse".

It's going to be sponsored by L'oreal so there will be top quality products available too from facial cleansers to conditioners. There will also be fashion consultants available to give advice on the latest trends in surf fashion (Power Balance wrist-bands are the must-have accessory for summer/autumn 2010!)

Oh wait a sec, you're talking about Enniscrone? Sorry I was thinking of a magical fairy land where waves are served up to you on demand and a water fairy gives you your board, straps on your leash and pushes you into waves.

Yes, that's it, here it is, you might prefer this to Enniscrone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR-y-MHRqLU

Seriously though if you want to take up an issue with a county council have a look at whats happening in Clare at the moment.

Oh I havent laughed like that since I was a little girl.

And here was men thinking the customary man the **** up would suffice.
    You have out done yourself :)

As I was reading down the thread, I was thinking we need the like of these Guerrilla Handymen you hear about, to come along and sort things like this out, but then i read this;

Typical like, what was their reason? Is part of the council's job not to attract visitors to the area?

Had the experience of using pubic showers abroad I then returned here with high expectations of what could be achieved. I suggested to a couple of 40 ft (sandycove) members, you know the ones who collect user donations, that the place could do with showers and that I would be happy to do the work, one guy looked quite resentful that I should mention such a thing and shook his head in disagreement, not much was said, they did'nt take me up on the offer.
    I have undertaken voluntary maintenance around the community since then, spent my own money and found that it's no big deal to do the work.
    The main obstacle is dealing with officialdom, ingrained ignorance, meaness and begrudgery, chronic anal retentiveness... they could'nt give a sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bicker

A wise man once said, if you give the public a convienience, it doesn't take too long before they treat it as an entitlement.

If the council restored the shower facility, you and your type would then be looking for mens and womens facility's, then hot and cold water, then fluffy towels etc. etc. In the meantime the council is watching with one eye on the fact that it is liable for any financial compensation when you stub your toe/get water in your eye/fluff from the towels up your bum, and says, feck you, we don't need the grief. And they are right. If you are incapable of getting into the sea without having full bathouse facilities laid on for you then, please, go away. Enniscrone, or anywhere else for that matter, does not need you, or your money, or your moaning. Which is what convinced them to remove the shower in the first place, give yourself a pat on the back for that stroke of genius.:( You either get being with nature or you don't. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

seensensee wrote: »
    Had the experience of using pubic showers abroad .

pubic showers??? Those dirty french feckers would try anything.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    pubic showers??? Those dirty french feckers would try anything.

My bad, I was sure to have spelled it publick :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Far too many people here attacking the OP. At least she had the motivation to ring up the council and complain.

The council are supposed to work for the people, it's our taxes paying their wages but maybe a few of you haven't made that connection yet.

It wouldn't be a big deal to provide a few showerheads around the country, there are more then surfers using the beaches.

Sad to think that it's a few 'showerheads' that just about sums up the negative thinking across the board in this country.

Drop the 1940's attitude, it's 2010 now, let's start moving forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

The main obstacle is dealing with officialdom, ingrained ignorance, meaness and begrudgery, chronic anal retentiveness... they could'nt give a sh1t.

You just about summed it up in one buddy.

Bicker wrote: »
    A wise man once said, if you give the public a convienience, it doesn't take too long before they treat it as an entitlement.

If the council restored the shower facility, you and your type would then be looking for mens and womens facility's, then hot and cold water, then fluffy towels etc. etc. In the meantime the council is watching with one eye on the fact that it is liable for any financial compensation when you stub your toe/get water in your eye/fluff from the towels up your bum, and says, feck you, we don't need the grief. And they are right. If you are incapable of getting into the sea without having full bathouse facilities laid on for you then, please, go away. Enniscrone, or anywhere else for that matter, does not need you, or your money, or your moaning. Which is what convinced them to remove the shower in the first place, give yourself a pat on the back for that stroke of genius.:( You either get being with nature or you don't. Simple as.

Oh you are a durrrty begrudger, up till very recently there was raw sewage being discharged. Even today the water is not up to standard...

June 2010
    The 14 beaches not meeting sufficient standards were Loughshinny, Donabate, Rush and Malahide in Dublin; Ardmore, Youghal; Keeldra Lough, Leitrim; Ballymoney north, Wexford; Counsellor's Strand, Dunmore East, Waterford; Coolmaine, Cork; Ballyallia lake, Ennis; Bray beach, Wicklow; Louisburgh; Tra na bhForbacha near Spideal, Galway; and Enniscrone, Sligo.
    Dr Micheal Lehane, of EPA Office of Environmental Assessment, said: "Local authorities need to take action to ensure that bathing waters failing to comply with the EU minimum standards are improved. Adequate measures - including the provision of appropriate waste water treatment facilities - are required. It is also important that local authorities effectively inform the general public when pollution events occur, or are predicted."
    http://www.kerryman.ie/breaking-news/national-news/23-beaches-warned-on-water-quality-2207136.html

It's only basic common decency to provide shower facilities in a location where swimmers are subjected to effluent residue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bicker

Oh you are a durrrty begrudger, up till very recently there was raw sewage being discharged. Even today the water is not up to standard

This from the person who originally recommended bringing a few bottles of water..............

Eh, what exactly am I begrudging ?:confused: If your going to try and insult me I'd appreciate the use of some intelligence please.

OP and she? I don't have man-boobs (=moobs, as I have learned recently) yet :-D

zoobizoo - It is not issue of me. I love that place and I am getting up in six hours to drive there for few hours of surfing before duties call me back to Dublin. It is issue of common sense, public service and me thinking about all other users of the beach and the sea. Well, the ocean. I am happy to wash my face under the tap. World is not about me and my comfort. But if there is joy and pleasure I can share and recommend, I am more than happy to do that.

Enygma - There was a public shower. There was one in Lahinch when I was there last year. The happier are the visitors, the more visitors will come. Ireland is so too small, the best marketing is personal experience and recommendation. How many boards users could see this thread? And what about local businesses? Every single one I was talking to knew about the not working shower and was very pissed off by that. Every single one. And most of them also called local council.

Bicker - I am in the sea on regular basis and public shower to wash down the salt only makes me want to jump into the sea again and again. And anybody who was swimming or just was in the sea does not mind cold water from the shower. It is not much colder than the water out there. Nobody here is talking about public spa or baths, although already romans have them free of charge and it still makes sense.

During the summer and on weekends, the part of the beach where is parking allowed is completely packed with cars. There are two surf schools, one or two stands with food and ice cream and other shops getting money directly from the people on the beach. A lot of people, a lot of revenue into the council funds. Do they want more funds? They should show that the visitors are welcome.

I am sorry that the facilities at Iascaigh is closed now, but there is (fortunately) not so big tourist exposure. But I won't stop learning to be able to surf there. The lack of shower won't put me off.

Bicker wrote: »

Hi Bicker, I got the impression that your post reeked of resentment to peoples needs and requirements, I believe you are mistaken in what you assert... can you link to who was the "wise man"? or was it something you heard from a councillor?

So those who demand shower facilities should "go away" and stop moaning as it has caused the removal of the shower in the first place? You have cynically apportioned blame for the lack of basic facilities to those who demand improved facilities :confused: You even claim that an Improved facility would be a liability to the council?
    Your assertions are not based on any facts whatsoever so I get to thinking why do you present such a POV, IMO I call it misinformed begrudgery.

FYI you can get with nature and take a shower to rinse off, there are more than two choices as you put it.

No I don't intend to insult you personally but you have presented hypothetical scenario where the council are justified in denying facilities just because their workmanship would cause injury :rolleyes:, I can't let what you say go unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Not sure why this has turned into an argument but the shower should work, simple as that. It is not a blue flag beach and is known for unhealthy water. It should be health and safety assured that there is a cleansing area.
    Fair enough in other more isolated beaches there are no facilities and that's fine, it would almost take away from the area but Enniscrone is a money bags town that a lot of people flock to come summer and each weekend.

(opposite the toilets there's a stone wall, there's a fresh water tap hanging loose in the grass, use that for now.... :) )

keryl wrote: »

(opposite the toilets there's a stone wall, there's a fresh water tap hanging loose in the grass, use that for now.... :) )

And I do. And I will do so in few hours. But I overslept a bit, so there is no time to agree with you even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

In fairness i don't need a shower after a surf but it was nice to have it there to rince off after a surf.

A lot beaches in France and Spain have a cold outdoor shower.

By the way there was one on the edge of the campsite in Strandhill don't know if it's still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

That's an awfull long drive for a cold shower :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

You like the beach so much, but are willing to go to another county because there is no shower? Are you serious?

The number of surf spots in Ireland with showers is such a tiny minority, surfers are a hardier bunch than that. Bring a few bottles of water with you if you really feel the need to get the salt water off.

+1.......

I'm sorry thonda, but get a grip.

Advertisement