Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT Forum feedback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I really like the idea of an off topic thread or sub forum... I'd like to get to know people here a bit better, and TBH it would exemplify the idea of gay people not just being all about gay stuff, which can be an opinion that a lot of people, especially new to the whole thing think. Like "Oh God I'm gay, I must have to only talk about gay things to gay people..." It's silly, but it's something people think...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

zoegh wrote: »
    I really like the idea of an off topic thread or sub forum... I'd like to get to know people here a bit better, and TBH it would exemplify the idea of gay people not just being all about gay stuff, which can be an opinion that a lot of people, especially new to the whole thing think. Like "Oh God I'm gay, I must have to only talk about gay things to gay people..." It's silly, but it's something people think...
    Yeah thats an interesting idea - with other forums such as gaire, queerid, angrypotato, gaycork etc - they talk about anything and everything whereas this forum because it's a part of boards tends to focus on lgbt stuff - so it's kind of hard to figure out other peoples interests etc

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Johnnymcg wrote:
    Yeah thats an interesting idea - with other forums such as gaire, queerid, angrypotato, gaycork etc - they talk about anything and everything whereas this forum because it's a part of boards tends to focus on lgbt stuff - so it's kind of hard to figure out other peoples interests etc

Exactly, I think it'd be good. I mean, you do come across some posters from here elsewhere on the boards, which is cool but it'd be nice to have somewhere here just to chat, too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Boards has a cleb forum, maybe try posting there.

I presume you mean celeb? Anyway, it's not my thing but thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

I've read a lot on this forum but I think only replied or posted occasionally. It's a place I come to for a 'sense' of community and to get interested in relevant issues. While I do understand the need to discuss and debate with people who are not LGBTQ I'm not sure I'd like it 'full blown' on this forum.

Maybe I see here as a kind of space where justifying my world or my nature isn't necessary?? I dont ever want me or anybody else to feel nervous about posting here-shouldn't it be for the greater good of our communities??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

I think a "Support Sub-Forum" would be quite useful.

I'm new as my post count suggests, so I'm not sure how much my opinions are worth. But there seem to be a lot of queries about people struggling with their sexuality, wondering about coming out, etc. These are mixed in with discussions about general, wider-ranging LGBT issues by people who, for the most part, seem to have come to terms with their sexuality.

A support sub-forum would benefit conversation, I think, as well as being useful to people who are going through the same thing.

I know the reference post does more or less the same thing to a certain extent, but I think a support forum would be very beneficial.

I think a separate forum for Transgender issues would also be a good idea.

To be honest, I don't think that Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual issues are necessarily the same as Transgender issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

St. Andalou, are you saying 2 more forums should be made? so LGBT is split up 3 ways? I think that's a bit much

and really, are people bothered by transgender topics? I looked at the first page of the forum and there are only 2 trans threads on it right now, one of them a sticky. if you're not interested in the threads, don't read them?

new forums would probably be a bad idea I think

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I think the threads should be left unsplit. I also suggest: More Beers!!!!

Links234 wrote: »
    St. Andalou, are you saying 2 more forums should be made? so LGBT is split up 3 ways? I think that's a bit much

and really, are people bothered by transgender topics? I looked at the first page of the forum and there are only 2 trans threads on it right now, one of them a sticky. if you're not interested in the threads, don't read them?

new forums would probably be a bad idea I think

No, not two new forums. The support forum could work best as a sub-forum within LGBT.

I'm not bothered by transgender issues at all. I just said that I don't think LGB and transgender issues necessarily overlap.

They were just my thoughts, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Granted, it would be helpful, but a few sticky threads would be just as good for all. I don't think they're too many trans people on boards to warrant it, yet I could be wrong.

^ You're probably right. I just think that the previous poster was implying I was bothered or fed up by transgender posts, which isn't the issue at all. A separate trans forum might be very beneficial to transgender posters.

I do still think that a support sub-forum might be a good idea, though, if any of the moderators read this and would like to take the idea on board.

Even better idea, to have a poll and see if the trans community here want a sub forum that we can use for general chat and support. Im quiet happy here in the lgbt forum, but I think I could support the idea of a support sub forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

Have to say, I'm pretty much happy with the way things are going as it is. Don't think we're busy enough for sub-forums.

I find the (increasing number of) threads on transgender issues interesting and enlightening -- and I think, while there are obvious differences, there are very obvious similarities too. Particularly on issues where support might be needed (and haven't we been through all this already?).

I wouldn't see any more reason to complain about the transgender topics than the lesbian topics. I mean, that "who makes you drool" thread is like 90% pictures of woman! Blargh! Can't ye all go hang out in Slydice or something ;)

And I don't see that the 'no religion' rule has been used too much except to smack down the trolls. Problem with religion is that it's near impossible to argue with.. sometimes a line just needs to be drawn or we go around in circles all day. But I've never been aware of an outright ban being rigidly enforced.

So, as you were.

Any thoughts on updating the charter?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No, not two new forums. The support forum could work best as a sub-forum within LGBT.

A sub forum is still a new forum though, is it not?
    I'm not bothered by transgender issues at all. I just said that I don't think LGB and transgender issues necessarily overlap.

There's plenty of overlap, all LGBT people face issues of coming out, all LGBT people face the possibility of discrimination on sexuality or gender identity and expression, and the possibility of abuse for the same reasons. If you take a step back and look at it, then all LGBT people are unified by being non-heteronormative.

From my side of things, there's a lot of LGB issues that are relevant to transgender people, because there are plenty of lesbian transwomen and gay transmen. Marriage equality effects trans people just as much as it does LGB people

I mean, the case of Nikki Araguz that's going on at the moment in the states, it makes my heart ache just thinking about it. She lost her husband recently, but the husband's family and ex-wife have dragged her through the courts to try and get the marriage voided and to cut her off from any benefits she would get, because she's transgender. They're arguing that because she was born male, it's a gay marriage, which is illegal in Texas. They not only want to strip away her identity, they want to strip away everything she had with her late husband, right after she's lost him.

while I say that it in no way should be considered a gay marriage, if there was marriage equality, then they wouldn't have had this avenue to attack the grieving widow and try to tear down what she had with her husband.

also, in this country, if I was to be legally considered female, I could not marry another woman, and if I was to marry another woman before I went through the legalities to be legally female, I would have to divorce my wife before that could happen.

I think there's a lot of issues that effect us all, and are relevant to all of us, LGB or T. and I really like that some people, though they are not trans themselves, find the trans topics interesting. ;)

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Any thoughts on updating the charter?

Sure, there's a few places that need touching up

Rule 2. says to go to the events forum for a social meetup, I don't think that's really the case as most meetups on boards are organised on the forum, like the one that was here before.

also, 3rd paragraph of the general information section says that if you've got a problem, take it to feedback, which is no longer the case. you're meant to take it to helpdesk now. that could be updated.

Links234 wrote: »
    if I was to marry another woman before I went through the legalities to be legally female, I would have to divorce my wife before that could happen.
    sorry to go off topic but this is not true because we don't actually know yet how the proposed law is going to treat such cases

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    sorry to go off topic but this is not true because we don't actually know yet how the proposed law is going to treat such cases

well, it's like that in other countries as far as I know, that you have to get a divorce. I don't think that Ireland will be much different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

I think the place works well. Trolls and homophobes should be kept out. They have nothing of value to offer.

• Advertisement

I think the charter needs to have a clearer policy on organisations or individuals coming on here to do some research e.g. Journalists, TV/Radio Journalists, Advertising that is technically Non Commercial or Non Profit making, Academic Researchers

any thoughts anyone?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Maybe they should seek permission from the mods first so the mods can decide whether they're legit or not?

It's a great idea though Jmcg.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd like to see the mods locking threads started by morons that are along the lines of 'so this gay thing is a little bit weird eh, what's the story with it?". I don't come on here to educate people and I certainly don't go on other forums and ask moronic questions about the activities or way of life the people on it are engaged in. This is a forum for lgbt people not a lets community outreach forum.

elgar wrote: »
    I'd like to see the mods locking threads started by morons that are along the lines of 'so this gay thing is a little bit weird eh, what's the story with it?". I don't come on here to educate people and I certainly don't go on other forums and ask moronic questions about the activities or way of life the people on it are engaged in. This is a forum for lgbt people not a lets community outreach forum.

Firstly - I don't think there are that many of those type of threads, secondly it's not only for LGBT people, thirdly sometimes those kind of threads can actually educate whoever posted them

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Dear Dr Baltar,

Your posts convey an attitude of extreme selfishness and self-interest. While I am pleased to see you've reached a place in your life where you are happy with your own sexuality, other have not. Your casually dismissal of the impact your "liberalisation" of this forum would have on people who use this forum for support is cold and uncaring.

Just because you have no use for something any more doesn't justify smashing it. Hyperbole? Perhaps, but you cannot seriously contend that messages of support can exist side by side with messages of harsh criticism. Labelling will not prevent a spill over from "Homosexuality is an abomination" threads onto "I need help" threads.

This forum was set up as a safe place for LGBT and LGBT friendly people to discuss LGBT issues. We can talk about the nature of homosexuality, we can talk about the moral fibre of the gay community, infact we can talk about pretty much anything (bar a few topics banned for good reason) you can think of. What isn't allowed is the promotion of homophobic agendas which are dressed up as debate. If you want a free, liberal debate go to humanities. Why should this forum facilitate that type of debate if it's going to undermine the very founding principles of the forum?

Your proposal amounts to a request for a complete change in ethos for the forum and I believe it should be rejected.

Lastly, in several of your posts you've made reference to moderators being over zealous. Perhaps they have been in recent months, I do not know, but historically it's been extremely hard to get banned from this forum. I think you need to supply at least three examples of a user being summarily banned before I take your comments seriously. There's a hint of the soapbox and the pantomime about them.

Boston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Eebs

Stickied trans advice thread. Not like a resource thread but a thread for people to post questions and concerns. Lot of questions and problems are just popping up in the Trans threads that are trending at the moment.

Eebs wrote: »
    Stickied trans advice thread. Not like a resource thread but a thread for people to post questions and concerns. Lot of questions and problems are just popping up in the Trans threads that are trending at the moment.

I would second that. We have a how-to thread, but a personal issues thread would be nice aswell. A common issue is coming out, something which is huge for me right now, as it is a process I am not entirely done with. It would be great to share in and talk about such experiences and other issues I will meet in the future, like health and the social challange of being trans.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Feel free to start such a thread, it sounds like a good idea to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I don't really post here, but I do read it often to keep myself informed. As a lurker, I have a couple suggestions (sorry if they've been mentioned already, haven't read the whole thread):

-A glossary sticky. A lot of terms can be confusing for someone who isn't "in the know," so to speak (e.g. cisgender, pan-romantic, etc). A glossary would do well to inform people so there's less on-thread confusion (which usually ends up wasting space with pedantry!), and;

-A "Coming Out Stories" stickied thread. Think it could be a nice sort of therapy and encouragement if people told stories about how they came out and the trials they had to face and things they overcame that made them stronger, or the happy stories that warm your heart. There's loads of them dotted around, just think it'd be nice for them to all be in one place. Might encourage some new people to post who may have been shy about it once they see the support.

Just a thought! :)

• Advertisement

liah wrote: »
    -A "Coming Out Stories" stickied thread. Think it could be a nice sort of therapy and encouragement if people told stories about how they came out and the trials they had to face and things they overcame that made them stronger, or the happy stories that warm your heart. There's loads of them dotted around, just think it'd be nice for them to all be in one place. Might encourage some new people to post who may have been shy about it once they see the support.

That would be a great idea, but there is still potential for absolute horror stories to come to light and possibly put people off. With every good coming out story I read, I seem to read twice as many horror stories. While I try to ignore the bad stuff, some stories last a life time and in one case, I read the story of a trans girl who came out to her parents who threatened to kill her if she continued.

I agree though, we need such threads because it doesn't just affect me, but everyone who frequents the LGBT forum and regardless of how we all fit, the stories and experiences can be really inspiring and helpful. So +1 to you for that suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement