Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for new fantasy..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

bonkey wrote: »
    (has look at shelf)

K J Parker's stuff is quite good. Parker has a slightly-different-to-mainstream style, that I usually describe as "fatalistic". Many characters seem to have this "oh well, it can't be helped, so lets just move on" attitude about this, that or the other...but it somehow works.

I'm 3 of 4 books through Tad Williams' ShadowMarch series, which is growing on me. From his earlier work, the War of the Flowers is well worth a read if you haven't done so already. Otherland, while more SciFi then fantasy, was also a pretty good read.

I'd also recommend Scott Lynch, with the caveat that he's only released 2 of a series of 7 so far (although the third book is supposedly for release in November)

I'm finding K. J. Parker's writing a bit eh to be honest. Though I'm going to give Devices and Designs (I think that's the name of it) some more time before I decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Dades wrote: »
    Very hard to find in actual shops - I've tried since you recommended them before!

Hodges Figgis had Anubis Gates I think... never found one anywhere else.

Yeah I know what you mean,I buy mostly online.
    Hope this helps

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/0-/Search.html?searchtype=bookall&searchsource=0&searchstring=tim+powers

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tim+powers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

nesf wrote: »
    I'm finding K. J. Parker's writing a bit eh to be honest.

Hey...to each their own....except for people who don't like Erikson ;) They're just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

Hobb, Gemell and if your looking for something that is closer to hist fiction but still a little fantasy Igulden

I wouldn't go for Erikson unless you have a lot of time on your hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oldpiedpiper

Something that is not overly new but a good read The Night Watch Trilogy by Sergei Lukyanenko

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well my favourites are Kerr, Hobb, Kate Elliott. Kerr seems kinda hard to find in the shops but is definitely worth it.
    So I would recommend those.
    Tad Williams' Otherland books were very good sort of scifi mostly fantasy - he has actual fantasy also which I havent read.
    And since I liked the job he was doing on WoT, I'm reading http://brandonsanderson.com/book/Mistborn and loving it
    oh ioxy said that already lol - sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Janny Wurts?

If you read Feist you may have come across her when they co-wrote the Empire Trilogy. Her Wars of Light and Shadow are very entertaining, 8 books of the planned 11 books wrote so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Most authors I have are already mentioned, however.....

Of Kate Elliot, the only I've read is the Crown of Stars series, which is far, far better than the blurb on her website suggests. I'd recommend it.

"Nifft The Lean" and "In Yana, The Touch Of Undying" by Michael Shea I remember as being quite good.

"Orcs" by Stan Nicholes was a bit of fun.

For non-brain straining reading, you could do a lot worse than "witch hunter" by CL Werner (three book volume) and "Blackhearts - the omnibus" by Nathan Long. They are of the "Warhammer" stable, but not bad at all, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

guy gavriel kay. read tigana to start with. if you like that you'll end up reading everything else (the fionavar tapestry trilogy is excellent)

roger zelazny's "the amber series" is brilliant

i'm almost certain you've read these ones but

David Eddings: the belgariad, and then the rest, or the sparhawk series which is excellent also)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thanks guys, keep it coming. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement