Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for new fantasy..

Options
  • 01-08-2010 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

I've read fantasy since I was a kid but I've not kept up with new authors and such for many years at this point. I'm looking for suggestions for new authors. My main three of late have been Erikson, Martin and Feist to give you an idea of my tastes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭zippygirl

I would suggest Charles de Lint... Intriguing stories, personalities and enough magic to just make your day brighter... or make you think ;)
    I'm reading his short stories at the moment, and I really fell in love with the way that man writes and sees things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

R Scott Baker - Prince of nothing series , might be up your street based on the books you've mentioned .

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, seems to be a very well regarded book, and often mentioned on this site ...It is the first book of a supposed trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

sxt wrote: »
    R Scott Baker - Prince of nothing series , might be up your street based on the books you've mentioned .

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, seems to be a very well regarded book, and often mentioned on this site ...It is the first book of a supposed trilogy

Cheers, I've gotten the first book of the former and will take a a look at the latter. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Tehol

I'd recommend Joe Abercrombie. Four books so far and each of them worth reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 doodlenoodle

I think you should also read Gemmell's Drenai series, although not as politically complex as Martin..but very good and classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Looking for reccomendations myself.

Have read Abercrombie, Bakker, Erikson, Esselmont.

Just want something else (and seeing as how it's 3 for 2 in Waterstones, nows the time to buy up some bookage!)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Looking for reccomendations myself.

Have read Abercrombie, Bakker, Erikson, Esselmont.

Just want something else (and seeing as how it's 3 for 2 in Waterstones, nows the time to buy up some bookage!)
    Seriously, read "The Name of the Wind". It's the best début novel that I've ever read. The only issue is that the reason it's so well written is that he's a perfectionist, so the second book is still being written.

I'd also recommend F. Scott Lynch's "The Lies of Locke Lamorra" - cracking good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Have you tried L.E. Modesitt? Guy Gavriel Kay is also worth reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Robin Hobb is one Author I couldn't put down recently, the Farseer trilogy in particular...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭acotone

Please try Jack Vance, his trililogies: Lyonesse and tales of the dying earth are brilliant

• Advertisement

Ok went book shopping today and picked up;

Rothfuss' 'The Name of the Wind'
    Canavan's 'The Magicians Apprentice'
    Lynch's 'The Lies of Locke Lamore'
    Brandon Sanderson's 'The Final Empire'

Will get stuck into them soon.

Ok went book shopping today and picked up;

Rothfuss' 'The Name of the Wind'
    Canavan's 'The Magicians Apprentice'
    Lynch's 'The Lies of Locke Lamore'
    Brandon Sanderson's 'The Final Empire'
    I've got Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy on a "to read" list because it looks good and I liked what he did with the Wheel of Time.

I will say though that I've never felt any interest in reading Trudi Cavanan - it came across on the back a bit like cooke-cutter fantasy. It'd be done well enough but bring nothing new. Is that unfair? Am I really missing out when I've discovered the likes of Rothfuss, Abercrombie and Lynch in the last few years?

Yeah Canavan definitely seems the weakest, but I've had it recommended to me a few times.

I bought Sanderson solely because of WoT. If I like his own writing I might try his take on Jordan's world (although that would mean a reread of the series and the terrible book 10!)

Canavan's stuff, while readable airport style light fiction suffers from really only having the depth that you'd expect in a short story. It's just so shallow in terms of plot and character breadth.

It's weak but the stories are entertaining enough in a standard fantasy fare kind of way to get you to the last page but you won't be coming away with anything worth remembering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Well, I just found this board now. I like it.

You could try Brent Weeks - The Night Angel Trilogy. It's very good.

The mistborn series is pretty decent. Definitely worth a read through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

ixoy wrote: »
    I will say though that I've never felt any interest in reading Trudi Cavanan - it came across on the back a bit like cooke-cutter fantasy. It'd be done well enough but bring nothing new.
    nesf wrote: »
    Canavan's stuff, while readable airport style light fiction suffers from really only having the depth that you'd expect in a short story. It's just so shallow in terms of plot and character breadth.

It's weak but the stories are entertaining enough in a standard fantasy fare kind of way to get you to the last page but you won't be coming away with anything worth remembering.

I remember when her first book came out it was released in the childrens/young adult section. I was quite surprised when it was moved to the main fantasy section for the later books. There have been some excellent fantasy books to come out of the young adult section but as described above, Canavan's books are definitely lacking in substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

acotone wrote: »
    Please try Jack Vance, his trililogies: Lyonesse and tales of the dying earth are brilliant
    I picked up the Lyonesse trilogy for my holidays, really liked it. although when I seen unicorns and fairies mentioned at the start I nearly put it down but the language/story telling is brilliant, I would recommend this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Hey try out Joe Ambercrombie's first law series. Some really interesting characters and some unusual arcs for the run of the mill fanatasy characters.
    Also its funny and got good action. Also it really ends well as a trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

i second the vote for Brent Week and the Night Angel trilogy. Really good and well plotted series.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭acotone

Glad to hear you liked it "meditraitor" , reading Jack Vance also can make you extremely hungry as he describes food in his stories in most appetizing way which is quite unique among Fantasy authors

• Advertisement

Branoic wrote: »
    i second the vote for Brent Week and the Night Angel trilogy. Really good and well plotted series.
    Good to hear as I've got the first book on my shelf. It seems I need to read every bloody major series as I've also got the Mistborn series waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Teferi wrote: »
    Well, I just found this board now. I like it.

You could try Brent Weeks - The Night Angel Trilogy. It's very good.

The mistborn series is pretty decent. Definitely worth a read through :)
    Branoic wrote: »
    ixoy wrote: »
    Good to hear as I've got the first book on my shelf. It seems I need to read every bloody major series as I've also got the Mistborn series waiting.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it ixoy. I read it and quite enjoyed it in parts but I thought it was a little weak overall with far too much deus ex machina throughout and with a fairly poor ending.

Net result being that even though I finished it quite a while ago, am looking for a new set of books and I've seen his new book (different series) I've not picked it up. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, I might go back through them again and see if I feel differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Picked up Brent's new book, The Black Prism and found it enjoyable - preferred the Night Angle Trilogy.

Just finished Brandon Sanderson's new series, The Way of Kings. Very good except for the fact that the next book isn't expected to be out till earliest November 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yeah half way through Way of Kings and I think its really impressive, massive improvements on Mistborn. Its going to be an interesting series. The whole ten books will take a long time though if other similar series are anything to go by and the fact that he's finishing another popular series its going to be a long time before a conclusion.

Also reading, or rather rereading A Knife of Dreams by Jordan. Less than a month to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Less than a month to go!

Its out on monday 11th Oct :)

Read some China Mieville, really really brilliant stuff.

Going to resurrect this. Any new authors that people have found that they'd recommend? Kindle book availability a huge plus given I rarely buy fiction in hardcopy anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Finished ASOIF, finished Crime and Punishment and finished The Lost Symbol to ease the brain.

I'm now about to tackle the behemoth that is A Wheel Of Time. Looking forward to it as have heard nothing but amazing reviews baout it and my mate and his brother never stop talking baout it and recommending it. Fingers crossed its immersive and deep as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

nesf wrote: »
    Going to resurrect this. Any new authors that people have found that they'd recommend? Kindle book availability a huge plus given I rarely buy fiction in hardcopy anymore.

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned.If you like fantasy make sure to read a few of Tim Powers books.
    Timothy Thomas "Tim" Powers (born February 29, 1952, in Buffalo, New York is an American science fiction fantasy author. Powers has won the World Fantasy Award twice for his critically acclaimed novels Last Call and Declare. His 1988 novel On Stranger Tides was optioned for adaptation into the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean film

My top 3 by powers

On Stranger Tides
    Drawing of the Dark
    Anubis Gates

http://www.theworksoftimpowers.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned.If you like fantasy make sure to read a few of Tim Powers books.
    Very hard to find in actual shops - I've tried since you recommended them before!

Hodges Figgis had Anubis Gates I think... never found one anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

(has look at shelf)

K J Parker's stuff is quite good. Parker has a slightly-different-to-mainstream style, that I usually describe as "fatalistic". Many characters seem to have this "oh well, it can't be helped, so lets just move on" attitude about this, that or the other...but it somehow works.

I'm 3 of 4 books through Tad Williams' ShadowMarch series, which is growing on me. From his earlier work, the War of the Flowers is well worth a read if you haven't done so already. Otherland, while more SciFi then fantasy, was also a pretty good read.

I'd also recommend Scott Lynch, with the caveat that he's only released 2 of a series of 7 so far (although the third book is supposedly for release in November)

ETA: Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch series is also worth a read. Its translated from the original (Russian).

Advertisement